4,000 Grafts (9k+ Grafts Total) Norwood 6/7 Dr. Sethi Eugenix *Will This Be My Last Hair Transplant?

1 hour ago, asterix0 said:

FUT yields are not 100% though.

In the hands of a capable surgeon who has mastered FUT more or less, there was a lot of graft survival in comparison to FUE and arguably even now when you compare to the explosion of hair mills in Turkey etc. 

However, even FUT greats like Hasson & Wong are switching to FUE as a method and tbh, it makes sense to go on a case by case basis. 

A patient on active medication who can control their hair loss progression fairly well could benefit from FUE only too. 

I feel like medication and long term effectiveness alongside hair transplants is still a relatively unknown field in terms of data out there. 

Whilst it's true some have Norwood 4/5 family members at some point, there's also people on medication who may have never gone past a NW 2/3 as a result. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, deeznuts said:

I always thought the reason strip then FUE was better was because with a strip you can take 100% of the grafts in an area after which you can do an FUE to grab hair from areas where you might not do a strip.

So if you have a permanent donor zone of 2 inches high, and you take a 1 inch strip (which you can harvest 100%) and then you do an FUE for the other 1 inch area where you take 50% of the grafts there, you end up having taken 75% of the grafts in that 2 inch high donor zone. Basically the advantage of strip is that it allows you to take 100% of the hair in a given area. 

And the advantage of FUE is that you can take hair from just about anywhere including places you might not do a strip from like near the crown or the nape

That's just my assumption though

The issue that several surgeons have told me is that often times the hair just above and below the incision becomes weak and miniaturized. Therefore, its not usable for extraction. So it is not true that the hair is like it’s untouched. 

Now, I am starting to think that it depends on the patient. Someone with excellent laxity would probably get more starting with FUT, but someone with poor laxity should probably start FUE. The overall numbers are getting similar when you compare megasession FUT vs. megasession FUE

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:00 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

The issue that several surgeons have told me is that often times the hair just above and below the incision becomes weak and miniaturized. Therefore, its not usable for extraction. So it is not true that the hair is like it’s untouched. 

Now, I am starting to think that it depends on the patient. Someone with excellent laxity would probably get more starting with FUT, but someone with poor laxity should probably start FUE. The overall numbers are getting similar when you compare megasession FUT vs. megasession FUE

I agree with this but also want to add and redefine what a successful hair transplant looks like (IMO). More often then not I always hear people say that FUT should be the first transplant that you get but I think it depends on the patient.

If a patient has wore his hair short his entire life and doesn't like his appearance with longer/medium hair then a FUT shouldn't be something he should consider. The patient's end results/goals are also important when factoring in which surgery to choose.

Regardless of which procedure if less/more invasive and uses more grafts/less in the long run, if a patient wants to wear his hair relatively short 1/2/3 guard on the back and sides then a FUT shouldn't be considered. 

Just my two cents and my opinion. 

• Administrators

Alright Guys,

It has officially been one-month since I had my 4th and final hair transplant. I've been experiencing a lot of shedding. I definitely feel like i'm entering the ugly duckling phase, or already in it. My hair looks a lot worse than it did just two weeks ago. I knew this was going to happen, so i'm mentally prepared, I bought a couple of hats just for this occasion. Here is my dilemma. One of my best friends who is like a brother to me is getting married over seas in two weeks. I don't know if I should just shave my head and prolong the waiting period even longer? Or should I just keep it as is and maybe try and use some concealer? There is an option of wearing like a paper boy hat, but I don't want to be wearing some hat in pictures. 

38AD441C-3F69-4327-AA80-40993E4345B2.jpeg
5EBD3B74-689E-4DB9-B6CD-AC51886E78C1.jpeg
98E64D11-29D9-487B-B2AE-304F1987477C.jpegB55300B9-E4B2-4D66-B641-A9AE675A2606.jpeg7A5E307A-DE35-4B78-B872-1B6E12ED52A2.jpeg2F581003-2267-4664-941F-3A6AD1879F2C.jpeg

• Like 6

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, SLA said:

Personally, I would go for the shave as I would never want to think if I didn't receive the growth I anticipated that it might have been due to use of concealers too early.

I used concealers my last procedure a month after, and it didn’t affect my hair. I don’t believe anything can really affect the hair past a month. Some are scared to shave, but even that wouldn’t affect it. 

• Like 3

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I used concealers my last procedure a month after, and it didn’t affect my hair. I don’t believe anything can really affect the hair past a month. Some are scared to shave, but even that wouldn’t affect it. 

Try the concealer and see how it looks. I mean, you have a good idea of what it looks shaved and then you can decide which suits you better. 

You're more than likely to take pictures on the day, so might as well go with the option you feel best fits the occasion for those pics and enjoying it without worrying. 

• Valued Contributor

I think if you buzz your head @Melvin in two weeks time you will have a great look. You are only losing 1cm of hair roughly since surgery if you buzz now. However it's ultimately entirely up to you. You could do the concealer option instead also as it's really just for the big day too! All the best!

Agree since it is so early you can afford to shave with minimal growth time lost.

OTOH your videos have proven you to be a magician with concealer so don't think there is a wrong answer.

For me, much would depend on whether I was a groomsman.  That would entail much more frequent and detailed photos

• Like 2

In my opinion, anyone who gets an HT should shave or buzz  their hair until the growth is in full gear. It looks terrible when people have native hair at 3-4 inches long then transplanted hair at half an inch long. I think it looks best to buzz or shave it until it’s all starting to grow, then you can grow it all out uniformly. I buzzed my hair the first 3 months, and I was an early grower so once I saw growth after month 3 I then decided to stop buzzing it. Then my hair grew in uniformly and looked good. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
21 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

i’m buzzing it with a #2 or 3 IMO

I would love to see an update how is it looking?

View my thread

• Administrators
7 hours ago, n00b said:

Oh wow! So excited to see @Melvin- Moderatorgoing through another transplant journey. So happy for you and wish you the best outcome pretty soon!

Thanks n00b I guess you're not a noob anymore you are one of the OG posters.

View my thread

Keep growing it and use concealer for the big day!

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 2/2/2022 at 4:53 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Alright Guys,

It has officially been one-month since I had my 4th and final hair transplant. I've been experiencing a lot of shedding. I definitely feel like i'm entering the ugly duckling phase, or already in it. My hair looks a lot worse than it did just two weeks ago. I knew this was going to happen, so i'm mentally prepared, I bought a couple of hats just for this occasion. Here is my dilemma. One of my best friends who is like a brother to me is getting married over seas in two weeks. I don't know if I should just shave my head and prolong the waiting period even longer? Or should I just keep it as is and maybe try and use some concealer? There is an option of wearing like a paper boy hat, but I don't want to be wearing some hat in pictures. 

38AD441C-3F69-4327-AA80-40993E4345B2.jpeg
5EBD3B74-689E-4DB9-B6CD-AC51886E78C1.jpeg
98E64D11-29D9-487B-B2AE-304F1987477C.jpegB55300B9-E4B2-4D66-B641-A9AE675A2606.jpeg7A5E307A-DE35-4B78-B872-1B6E12ED52A2.jpeg2F581003-2267-4664-941F-3A6AD1879F2C.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your pictures. You are a model patient. We are awaiting the best for you. I would suggest not shaving off your head and letting the hair grow out. I wish you the best Mr Melvin. 

• Like 2

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

On 1/9/2022 at 2:56 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Shaved and Mapped Out

IMG_4701.JPGIMG_4702.JPGIMG_4594.JPGIMG_4704.JPG

would you mind elaborating on the mapping out of your head also including its incorporation into your surgery?

apart from that i understand that your incisions were made a day or so prior to the extraction process. does it mean that you got anaesthetised twice in the recipient area?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Thank you for sharing your pictures. You are a model patient. We are awaiting the best for you. I would suggest not shaving off your head and letting the hair grow out. I wish you the best Mr Melvin. 

Thanks Gabrielle, shame we didn’t get a chance to meet 🙌🏼

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, BoldnotBald said:

would you mind elaborating on the mapping out of your head also including its incorporation into your surgery?

apart from that i understand that your incisions were made a day or so prior to the extraction process. does it mean that you got anaesthetised twice in the recipient area?

The surgery was three days, incisions were done day 1, extractions day 2 and 3. Watch my video.

View my thread

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, BoldnotBald said:

in your video i couldn´t find the answer to my questions, unfortunately. hence the reason for this enquiry.

I answered your question in my post. Anesthesia is done each day of surgery. 

View my thread

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Thanks Gabrielle, shame we didn’t get a chance to meet 🙌🏼

That's okay. We shall meet in the future.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators
4 hours ago, tony71 said:

Did it hurt much? 😅

No, not at all

• Like 1

View my thread