Will the Coronavirus Affect The Hair Transplant Industry?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

According to the WHO the US has surpassed China and Italy in reported cases. However, the numbers China have put out are laughable and I would bet the numbers are actually triple what they reported, especially the deaths. They lied from the beginning. I believe Italy's numbers are true, from what I gather they have three times as many deaths as the US, but the US has more cases. The only thing I can think of is the overall age of the population. Another thing I have considered is that there may be more diseases in the US, and therefore, the population has a stronger immunity. Same thing happened to the Native Americans when they were wiped out by the common cold from conquistadors and pilgrims.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that this virus is much worse than the flu, just based on the numbers in the US. Each year around 34,000-61,000 people die a year. I understand what the media says and how there's so much conflicting information, some say it's way worse and catastrophic, take a look at Italy. But now we've surpassed Italy, and the numbers are not even close to Italy, in terms of deaths. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

We also have to account for the variances in total populations of people in the countries we are comparing, especially China.

And I could not agree more with you Melvin that China is outright lying with just about anything they say!...🤣

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

5 hours ago, gillenator said:

am already taking large daily doses of Vitamin C and green tea...been doing this for a number of years.

Wishing you well my brother!....😉

Corona is not the cold or the flu. Cutting and pasting recommendations from those illnesses is dangerous.

Things to avoid:
-High dose vitamin C increases your risk of lung fibrosis if you get the virus due to its effect on something called interferon. This is based on studies of SARS; there have been no studies of high dose vitamin C with corona specifically.  Do not do the high dose vitamin C that someone suggested earlier, it could be dangerous and there is no plausible mechanism by which it would make you more safe. Particularly for someone with your medical history. Take a normal dose of 150 mg per day.
-High dose vitamin A and D increase your risk of being infected due to upregulation of something called ACE2.
-If you are on an ace inhibitor (blood pressure medication that ends with -opril) there have been physicians switching their patients for a short time period to a calcium channel blocker. This is also because of its effects on ACE2. This is a controversial point and nephrologists are arguing pretty actively on whether this is appropriate. If you are on this medication, talk to your doctor about temporarily switching, particularly if you are in NYC, Cali or somewhere that's been hit hard.

Things to take:
-Zinc interferes with virus replication. Both ionic and nutritional zinc are essential. Avoid picolinate or oxide, 15 mg 4x daily and a lozenge,
-Copper is toxic to the virus and prevents its attachment to cellular surfaces. It doesn't survive well on brass surfaces in general actually. 10:1 ratio of this to whatever amount of zinc you obtain (80 mg/8 mg)
-Elderberry prevents attachment of the virus to ACE2. 1 gram daily.

For more info:
Yan, R. et al. Structural basis for the recognition of the SARS-CoV-2 by full-length human ACE2. Science (2020) doi:10.1126/science.abb2762.
Fehr, A. R. & Perlman, S. Coronaviruses: an overview of their replication and pathogenesis. Methods Mol. Biol. 1282, 1–23 (2015).
Huang, K.-J. et al. An interferon-gamma-related cytokine storm in SARS patients.
J. Med. Virol. 75, 185–194 (2005).
Ulbricht, C. et al. An evidence-based systematic review of elderberry and elderflower (Sambucus nigra) by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration.
J. Diet. Suppl. 11, 80–120 (2014).
Hsu, J. T.-A. et al. Evaluation of metal-conjugated compounds as inhibitors of 3CL protease of SARS-CoV.
FEBS Lett. 574, 116–120 (2004).
Samman, S. Dietary versus cellular zinc: the antioxidant paradox. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 14, 95–96 (1993).
Zhong, J.-C. et al. Upregulation of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 by all-trans retinoic acid in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
Hypertension 44, 907–912 (2004).
Fowler, A. A., 3rd et al.
Effect of Vitamin C Infusion on Organ Failure and Biomarkers of Inflammation and Vascular Injury in Patients With Sepsis and Severe Acute Respiratory Failure: The CITRIS-ALI Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 322, 1261–1270 (2019).
Carr, A. C. & Maggini, S. Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients 9, (2017).

This isn't just based on news articles or what works for the flu/common cold. Please be safe and verify advice before rushing in.

Edited by bismarck
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 12:45 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wish you a speedy recovery Gil, at this point, it's not even a question. We are getting hit hard. The lockdown has been extended another month. I just don't see how a lot of businesses are going to survive another month without revenue, while still paying for rent, insurance and their employees salaries. I wonder if the treatment is worse than the disease. On one hand you're saving lives, especially those vulnerable in society. On the other hand, a lot of young people will bare the burden and suffer, it's a difficult situation. 

Do we know if many of the more popular restoration clinics are closing for the time being? ie, H&W, Gabel, Rahal, etc? 

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, FuriousGeorge said:

Do we know if many of the more popular restoration clinics are closing for the time being? ie, H&W, Gabel, Rahal, etc? 

I believe the government has forced these clinics to close temporarily. I'm not sure on H&W, but I do know that Gabel and Rahal are temporarily closed.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

According to the WHO the US has surpassed China and Italy in reported cases. However, the numbers China have put out are laughable and I would bet the numbers are actually triple what they reported, especially the deaths. They lied from the beginning. I believe Italy's numbers are true, from what I gather they have three times as many deaths as the US, but the US has more cases. The only thing I can think of is the overall age of the population. Another thing I have considered is that there may be more diseases in the US, and therefore, the population has a stronger immunity. Same thing happened to the Native Americans when they were wiped out by the common cold from conquistadors and pilgrims.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that this virus is much worse than the flu, just based on the numbers in the US. Each year around 34,000-61,000 people die a year. I understand what the media says and how there's so much conflicting information, some say it's way worse and catastrophic, take a look at Italy. But now we've surpassed Italy, and the numbers are not even close to Italy, in terms of deaths. 

You should tell the ICU doctors round the country/world that then because they seem pretty worried about it.

This virus 🦠 is going to affect everyone at one point .. It’s not even about u dieing from the virus .. u be shunned by ur community , people going to avoid u , cuz they fear u going to give it to them .. n they should . 

im in Cali n we got shelter in , n people still shopping n doing regular activities ,, n there’s no cure for a highly contagious virus .. we are just the beginning of shit hitting the fan . it’s like trump said it’s just going to magically disappear ..  3 weeks later 2000+ deaths in US.. n we just starting ,. so be smart ,. One month from now .. we see how serous it’s going to get .. because we going to get there .. we doing nothing to prevent it from spreading .. n it doesn’t magically diasppear .. 

I live in California.  Today there were no people at the park I go to where normally there would be at least a couple of hundred people playing baseball and soccer.   LA freeways are almost deserted.

I’m In northern Cali , so people haven’t taken it as seriously yet .. we have a lot of open land so it’s easier to avoid others .. I get to work at home , so I’m feeling kinda safe .. but my sister in law works at a nursing home .. n she has to work n she’s scared every time she goes there .. chances of her getting it n infecting her family when she goes back home . Is kinda high ,. I stay up to dAte on the news n stuff n things don’t usually worry me .. but I’m worried about this . My workplace at first gave us 2 weeks off for emergency leave , now things escalated so fast in the last two weeks .. they extending it to 120 days of sick leave .. I work for the largest dental insurance company in America , so if the execs have made that decision , they expecting things to get really bad . 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Curious said:

I live in California.  Today there were no people at the park I go to where normally there would be at least a couple of hundred people playing baseball and soccer.   LA freeways are almost deserted.

Garcetti closed the beaches and parks, the past weekend, there were record numbers of people at Runyon, Venice, and Santa Monica. 

View my thread

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Legend007 said:

I’m In northern Cali , so people haven’t taken it as seriously yet .. we have a lot of open land so it’s easier to avoid others .. I get to work at home , so I’m feeling kinda safe .. but my sister in law works at a nursing home .. n she has to work n she’s scared every time she goes there .. chances of her getting it n infecting her family when she goes back home . Is kinda high ,. I stay up to dAte on the news n stuff n things don’t usually worry me .. but I’m worried about this . My workplace at first gave us 2 weeks off for emergency leave , now things escalated so fast in the last two weeks .. they extending it to 120 days of sick leave .. I work for the largest dental insurance company in America , so if the execs have made that decision , they expecting things to get really bad . 

The numbers don't scare me, if i'm being honest, we have the supposedly the most cases of the virus, and the death toll is still around 1%. We have over 100K reported cases and only 2k deaths. How is that much different than the seasonal flu? 

View my thread

21 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The numbers don't scare me, if i'm being honest, we have the supposedly the most cases of the virus, and the death toll is still around 1%. We have over 100K reported cases and only 2k deaths. How is that much different than the seasonal flu? 

150k cases in the us with 1600 deaths is just under 2% mortality. That's 20x more deadly than the flu. If the numbers keep accelerating, that's gonna be a lot of body bags.

If this does not set the alarm, i dont know what does.  They are saying if we (the US)does  everything perfectly (whatever that means), we could be looking at 200,000 deaths.

EC893DD1-EC1E-4CAD-A1FC-DC73E05D11F5.jpeg

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Sean said:

If this does not set the alarm, i dont know what does.  They are saying if we (the US)does  everything perfectly (whatever that means), we could be looking at 200,000 deaths.

EC893DD1-EC1E-4CAD-A1FC-DC73E05D11F5.jpeg

Where are the pulling these numbers? Unless millions upon millions of people get infected, I don't see how 100K people will die- this is media fear mongering at its finest.

• Like 1

View my thread

One thing to bear in mind if working out potential mortality rates is the number of actual infections is far higher than those 'official' cases.. Many many people have mild to hardly no symptoms and never been tested and haven't been recorded at all in the statistics.   

My fear is the cure could be worse than the problem here.  I think it would be more cost effective to use these funds to help serve and isolate more those at risk and are vulnerable but actually keep the economies moving in a more robust manner.  This is an economic catastrophe no question.

Edited by BaldingBogger
  • Like 1

• Administrators

It's already started in Italy- this is what I'm truly afraid of, not a virus with a 2% chance of killing me; poverty= crime.

View my thread

51 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It's already started in Italy- this is what I'm truly afraid of, not a virus with a 2% chance of killing me; poverty= crime.

And not to sound like a alarmist but nothing is too “crazy” to happen anymore....imagine if for some reason the power goes out in rolling blackouts...as well as issues with cell/internet connections.....

Just watched a good segment on my local news about getting back to doing “Victory Gardens” and if you can to grown your own fruits and veggies to hedge this uncertainty then it’s good to get started now.

We can prevent any mass chaos if we start educating each other on being more self-sufficient, food/water-wise, energy-wise..even getting back to old school bartering (there are apps).

Beyond the normal gas/propain genenrator...I think everyone should get an rechargeable power pack that can supply a good amount of electric power and be charged by exhibiting outlets, and more importantly SOLAR...because, it hedges the issue of any gas supply line constraints.

Melvin. You can't compare the flu to the coronavirus because one is a novel virus and the other isn't. There are vaccinations against the flu, there is none for covid. The mortality rate for covid is exponentially higher.  The rate of spread is also way higher.

Even if the seasonal flu is deadlier or just as deadly, the fact this virus is only a few mths old and there is no vaccine is enough for people to be concerned about. I'm not here to argue with you that you should be worried about dying because of covid as the stats probably are inaccurate as there are a lot of people who carry and are infected who show no symptoms. But the rate this is spreading it should cause concern. And as mentioned earlier it's about not overwhelming the hospitals so the people who need ventilators and admission into the ICU get it. 

And remember there are literally hundreds of Drs and nurses with first hand experience treating this every day that are telling the public to smart then f*ck up. These same Drs and nurses also treat the seasonal flu every year. I think they know what they are talking  about. But I guess everyone online/social media who has an opinion knows more than the actual professionals. 

This pandemic will truly identify not only individuals but also countries who only care about themselves and not the ones around them.  This is going to really define the US in years to come....

Edited by Spidey

I wonder what things are going to look like after 3 months of unemployment for a large portion, if not the majority, of the working class. Will you feel safe walking alone at night? This really feels like a tipping point.

• Administrators

I personally would rather take my chances dealing with this virus that kills 1-2% of the people infected, than have to deal with an economic fall out where people are looting and crime is sky high. I think it's way more dangerous, and the deaths will shoot way up, except no one is going to say #stayhome. I'm way more scared of people than I am this virus.

• Like 1

View my thread

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I personally would rather take my chances dealing with this virus that kills 1-2% of the people infected, than have to deal with an economic fall out where people are looting and crime is sky high. I think it's way more dangerous, and the deaths will shoot way up, except no one is going to say #stayhome. I'm way more scared of people than I am this virus.

Well I think your opinion would change if you lost a loved one due to this virus. And that's the problem with the world we live in. People care more about material things than the lives of others. It's easy to armchair qb when the decisions you make are what to have for breakfast and what to wear to work for the week, and not deciding what's best for the country or world. 

• Like 1