Will the Coronavirus Affect The Hair Transplant Industry?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

The research, published in the medical journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases, estimated that about 0.66% of those infected with the virus will die.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

Now, how many more will die from the economic fall out. The economic fall out will affect 100% of the population in one way or another. 

Thomas Schaefer, finance minister of Germany's Hesse state which includes Frankfurt, found dead near a railway track.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/german-state-minister-kills-coronavirus-hits-economy-200329165242615.html

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Now, how many more will die from the economic fall out. The economic fall out will affect 100% of the population in one way or another. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/german-state-minister-kills-coronavirus-hits-economy-200329165242615.html

Crazy...

And the people whom accept being in a constant state of fear over a virus that many won’t get and many have overcome and many will overcome...wont care...they think they will miraculously survive with no job no income no food no necessities no home no personal safety for themselves and their family if we remain in total lockdown and isolation for weeks and months...it’s a trade-off they’re willing to accept, sadly. 

Millennials, already have been burdened with having to take on large student debt to play catch up, have had to take on 2 or more low wage part time jobs just to make ends meet, their future was already in a downward spiral....now add the addition of the consequence of no income no food no shelter at all..and the mental health issues will far outweigh what’s happening......suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death amongst youth and young adults 10-24 years old and more die each year taking their own life than do to any disease or other health condition. 

From the CDC...45,000 America’s take their own life each year, 1 every 12 minutes, this statistic will no doubt skyrocket, sadly.

• Like 1

I mean we shouldn't lose perspective. The average American, regardless of age, is more likely to die from the coronary artery disease they develop being sedentary during a prolonged lockdown and from the alcohol they drink during the following unemployment than they are ever likely to die from COVID 19.

What I respect about the murkiness and ambiguity of the hair loss industry is that it's taught me to have a healthy skepticism of authority figures and popular opinion alike -- I'll believe it when I can run a comb through it. Hair multiplication, piloscopy, hair tonics, fue/fut, anybody that follows hair loss for awhile develops a real strong distrust of anybody claiming to have 'the cure' or 'the answer'. At the same time, if you're on this forum it means that in addition to skepticism, you still remember how to hope for something better. That even in the midst of a shitty situation, something good can happen.

So that's where we have to be my fellow hair loss sufferers. Let's take the lessons the industry has taught us about emotional resilience, skepticism and optimism and apply them to an international crisis on a scale most of us have never seen. God only knows where this will end up. I hope everyone is okay by the time things are through.

We have a duty to think of the most intelligent response, and that is balancing quarantine with economic slowing. Lives will be lost no matter what we do, the key is finding the lowest point on the curve till we reach the inflection point.

Edited by bismarck

Back on the topic of how this impacts hair transplant industry... here's the latest from Turkey. No transplants in Turkey any time soon. :(

New Updates  

• As of March 30, the Turkish Ministry of Health has confirmed 10,827 cases of COVID-19, 168 related deaths, and 725 patients in intensive care.  
  • U.S. citizens who seek to travel to the United States immediately should contact us at the email addresses at the bottom of this page and provide a local phone number.  One of our team will be in touch as soon as possible. 
  • As of March 29, all passengers on domestic flights in Turkey are required to submit a travel permit obtained from the Travel Permit Council. If you have an e-devlet account (https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/),you can obtain that permit online.  If you do not have an e-devlet account (because you do not have a Turkish ID number), you must be at the airport at least 4 hours before the departure time of your flight in order to obtain a permit. 
  • According to remarks by President Erdogan on March 30, forty-one "neighborhoods and villages" are under formal quarantine in Turkey.  Authorities are also implementing city-specific restrictions. 

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That Chinese research is based in false datas.

the mortality rate ia about 8% at the moment.

consider that a lot of people die by coronavirus but nobody knows because the virus is not detected in everybody.

9 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Yup! I saw that story...as well as other that are in their 90’s and 100 beating this.

And a french girl died at 16.

an italian died at 18.

many people die in their 30s and 40s.

Are American businesses still doing transplants that you know of? Hubbie put down his deposit for April 20th for his 2nd round (doing the crown) several weeks ago.  His final payment was due today and he asked the company if they are even doing any procedures right now as our state is on a “stay at home” order. She has not emailed back the answer. They have his CC to use for the final payment, He told her if they cancel on him, he wants a refund of the final balance. They can keep the deposit of course until later.  Haven’t talked to him yet today to find out how she responded.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Helper said:

Are American businesses still doing transplants that you know of? Hubbie put down his deposit for April 20th for his 2nd round (doing the crown) several weeks ago.  His final payment was due today and he asked the company if they are even doing any procedures right now as our state is on a “stay at home” order. She has not emailed back the answer. They have his CC to use for the final payment, He told her if they cancel on him, he wants a refund of the final balance. They can keep the deposit of course until later.  Haven’t talked to him yet today to find out how she responded.

I think it depends on the location, some areas like New York are under strict order to shut down for at least another month. I’m sure the clinic would be willing to postpone final payment until they’re closer to a date when they’ll operate.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Melvin,

Well, it turns out they aren’t doing procedures with the order, but still told my Husband yesterday his final payment was due. Of course they finally said he was still scheduled but watching the order week to week (order was originally to be lifted next Monday, but the Governor just announced yesterday it might change). She finally said in good faith they won’t charge the credit card unless they know it’s a go.

Sounds like they were still trying to take money, but my husband (and most likely others), were questioning this, so they’ve backed off), this is one of the “run of the mill” places, but the doc who did his first one did a pretty good job. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Helper said:

Melvin,

Well, it turns out they aren’t doing procedures with the order, but still told my Husband yesterday his final payment was due. Of course they finally said he was still scheduled but watching the order week to week (order was originally to be lifted next Monday, but the Governor just announced yesterday it might change). She finally said in good faith they won’t charge the credit card unless they know it’s a go.

Sounds like they were still trying to take money, but my husband (and most likely others), were questioning this, so they’ve backed off), this is one of the “run of the mill” places, but the doc who did his first one did a pretty good job. 

🤔 doesn’t sound like that place is very good, “run of the mill” is definitely not what you want. Hopefully he did his research, and chose a qualified doctor, the difference from run of the mill and high quality is night and day. 

View my thread

2 hours ago, duchaine said:

The death rate is less than 1%. Here's a 1-day old article.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

For age groups younger than 40, the death rate was never higher than 0.16%, according to the study. Out of 1,000 young adults infected, then, about 1 or 2 could die, with the youngest people facing the lowest risk.

Edited by MachoVato
  • Like 1

• Administrators

How does the Cruise industry come back from this? I went on a cruise right before New Years, I remember thinking I would never get on a cruise again, not because of the Coronavirus. I hadn't even heard about the Coronavirus back then, but I noticed the cruise ships felt really dirty. Thousands of people crammed in a boat, eating basically buffet food 24/7, swimming in the same pools. 

How do they come back from this catastrophic PR nightmare. Even when they open up again, who in their right mind is gonna want to cruise. The majority of the workers come from developing countries, thousands and thousands of people employed. I can't see this ending well for the cruise industry. 

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How does the Cruise industry come back from this? I went on a cruise right before New Years, I remember thinking I would never get on a cruise again, not because of the Coronavirus. I hadn't even heard about the Coronavirus back then, but I noticed the cruise ships felt really dirty. Thousands of people crammed in a boat, eating basically buffet food 24/7, swimming in the same pools. 

How do they come back from this catastrophic PR nightmare. Even when they open up again, who in their right mind is gonna want to cruise. The majority of the workers come from developing countries, thousands and thousands of people employed. I can't see this ending well for the cruise industry. 

Melvin,

You know, ever since the virus was discovered on cruise ships (far too many), I thought of the same things.

Mt guess is some of them will go bankrupt.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

11 hours ago, duchaine said:

That Chinese research is based in false datas.

consider that a lot of people die by coronavirus but nobody knows because the virus is not detected in everybody.

China doesn’t have a monopoly on falsifying data...

Just as I’ve said before with source links...the head of the hospitals have been told to ration care and are letting people die, either from this or from other conditions like pneumonia.

Here in the US they are doing the same, rationing care, and I’ve read reports that if Some one is really ill and are feeling pain they are getting heavily sedated and many did not wake up....I’m no doctor or nurse but How the f@ck do you heavily sedate a person whom is having trouble breathing, essentially suffocating to death?!?!?!?!?!...Someone at the top heathcare level is making that call, it’s insane.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/post-intensive-care-syndrome-why-some-covid-19-patients-may-n1166611

“The 38-year-old father of three is recovering from the coronavirus after spending 10 days in Cleveland Clinic's intensive care unit. He was kept mostly sedated while hooked up to a ventilator to help him breathe.

"There was a time during this process where the hospital reached out to my wife to have the discussion about end-of-life options," Brown, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, said. "It was very emotional for all of us."

“Patients may be physically weak and experience a type of post-traumatic stress. The exact cause of post-intensive care syndrome is unclear. It could be the result of patients not getting enough oxygen or blood to the brain. Or, it could be sedative medications — critical for what physicians must do in acute care, but with potentially long-lasting ramifications.”

Edited by CosmoKramer

4 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

How the f@ck can people fight for their life if they are being drugged and put to sleep?!?!?!?

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-fdny-paramedic-young-virus-20200324-74tadm2skjb7zeuwb2xhwvtfoi-story.html

Being put on a ventilator is pretty painful, particularly with infected lungs. There are many shades of grey to sedation.

34 minutes ago, bismarck said:

Being put on a ventilator is pretty painful, particularly with infected lungs. There are many shades of grey to sedation.

I understand, but people I’ve read and seen lots of news of the faces of the dead and almost all had been heavily sedated...how can a persons body and immune system fight of a virus if it’s in a perpetual state of sleep?!?! It’s dangerous and deadly and I don’t care how some hospital executive rationalizes it in the news.

The people that are recovering and being “cured” of this because of their immune system and of anti-virals, they can get all the ventilators they want but if they can’t get the anti-viral drugs asap...it seems helpless.

Edited by CosmoKramer

I don't know the details of that article but a lot of ventilation is putting the body on shutdown until it can recover -- this applies to heart attacks, strokes, sepsis, treatable cancer, etc. You really are dancing on a razor's edge in the ICU even in good times. Death is everywhere.

Right now, things are horrible. Particularly in New York but LA is following close behind. Docs, nurses and support staff are getting sick. Everything elective is shut down. When you're overwhelmed at that level, crazy shit is gonna happen and mistakes are going to sky rocket. It's just human nature. You couldn't even run a Chipotle at the pace hospitals are going right now, and intubation is harder than making a burrito bowl.

23 minutes ago, bismarck said:

I don't know the details of that article but a lot of ventilation is putting the body on shutdown until it can recover -- this applies to heart attacks, strokes, sepsis, treatable cancer, etc. You really are dancing on a razor's edge in the ICU even in good times. Death is everywhere.

Right now, things are horrible. Particularly in New York but LA is following close behind. Docs, nurses and support staff are getting sick. Everything elective is shut down. When you're overwhelmed at that level, crazy shit is gonna happen and mistakes are going to sky rocket. It's just human nature. You couldn't even run a Chipotle at the pace hospitals are going right now, and intubation is harder than making a burrito bowl.

I get what you’re saying man, just a horrible situation to be in for all parties and errors will be unavoidable, my frustration is that these hospital conglomerates which have consolidated heavily over the past decade and reaping huge profits should have been prepared with enough materials to protect their staff and better coordination what is actually working....from what I’ve seen it seems that local small practices and smaller community hospitals are the ones with the higher success and recovery rates. Not to take away from the unimaginable hard work that the caring heathcare workers are doing, but I would not let my loved one alone if they are in such a situation, people need to be there for their loved ones.

My hunch would be that the community hospitals have better numbers because they are sending their sickest patients to the tertiary care centers at the main medical hubs.

Right now if someone tests positive for corona, the family is not allowed to visit, even if they're dying. It is unfortunately necessary.