Dr. Kaan Pekiner FUE+BHT 3895 (2007 FUE + 1888 BHT) 28/12/2019

Portugal25

• Valued Contributor

Portugal25 from just prior to the surgery (to being slick bald in the vertex and crown) to now (at only 5/6 months in) your results so far are nothing less than amazing! Consider the amount of area that you are trying to cover. At this stage the coverage is incredible and probably even more importantly your results look incredibly natural. I really look forward to seeing further results down the track. I'm incredibly happy for you!

• Thanks 1

Hi @Portugal25

You are looking absolutely fantastic for 6 months, its hard to believe considering where you started from, because you had quite a large surface area to cover! 

IMO looking at your 4 months pics, when your donor was grown out, I imagine there would be other FUE surgeons able to deplete that further more, and you should be in good stead to proceed for a further pass if ever you felt the need in the future. 

You're a big advocate of Dr Ferreira - why did you not choose to have your surgery with him? 

Could you also post a picture of your beard grown out, I'd be interested to see what under the chin looks like grown out after having grafts taken from it. 

Thankyou, and I wish you continued success with your brilliant results! 

• Thanks 1

@Curious25 thank you so much for your kind words.

I chose Dr. Pekiner because he has more experience with mega sessions of beard grafts and manages to produce very natural results with them as he uses beard grafts in most of his surgeries. 
I had almost 1800 beard grafts implanted in just 1 day which is truly amazing. 

Dr. Bruno Ferreira is more used to repair jobs that demand a highly skilled approach and patients with miniaturized hairs so I feel very comfortable recommending him. If I didn`t require a massive amount of beard grafts to add density I would have definitely chosen Dr. BF

My beard donor area has recovered nicely. I didn’t shave today and with a 1 day beard it’s easier to spot the extracted grafts. 

51A2D476-63B8-44A2-BD91-ACB3D5B6D7CD.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25

Thankyou for your reply and picture. I actually think your beard donor looks amazing, and wouldn’t think anything from looking at it. If you continue to grow your beard out I’d be interested in seeing what the Density looks like after 5-7 days growth, as this tends to be the length I like to keep it - if that isn’t your style, don’t worry about it though , I will look out for another thread down the line. 

Do you have any ambition on having your donor re-assessed by another surgeon to see how many more potential grafts you have to play with? I’d be inclined to say there are more than you first thought! 

• Thanks 1

@Curious25 my wife and kids make me shave every day so no luck with that photo.

Pekiner said I had no more scalp donor left but @Dr. Bruno Ferreira is better at donor management and I’m pretty sure he will be able get more than 1500 grafts out of my scalp. If I go for a third surgery he’s my top choice along with Pekiner if I find myself again reliant on a mega session of beard grafts to increase density.

Edited by Portugal25

Thank you all for your kind words.

It`s pretty clear that so far the results are nothing less than amazing.

MyHT.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Kaya said:

Excellent result!

It will get a bit better from here since it has been 7 months if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Kaya! 
I will be 7 months post-op on the 28th in about 3 weeks.
Hope it gets a lot better as there’s still a few gaps to fill in.

37 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

Thanks Kaya! 
I will be 7 months post-op on the 28th in about 3 weeks.
Hope it gets a lot better as there’s still a few gaps to fill in.

Yep, that's why I updated my post right away :)

A few gaps is not a concern at this point. You had a huge area to cover and this density on that area in about 6 months is the best you can get in HT world :) 

• Thanks 1

Nice result so far.  Maybe a final procedure to finish it off?  Looks like there is still a few thousand scalp donor left.

• Thanks 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

This is fantastic!  I can see why would you want a 3rd procedure to fill in the gaps, but give this one time to mature and enjoy the process.  A little dermmatch or toppik and it'd look like a full head of hair I imagine.  I'm also impressed with your donor area.  You should be happy with this procedure, congrats!

• Thanks 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

Really impressive 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Nice result so far.  Maybe a final procedure to finish it off?  Looks like there is still a few thousand scalp donor left.

I`m considering a final procedure to add density to the frontal hairline. Don`t yet know if I will need to add density to the midscalp and crown (hope not).

On 7/9/2020 at 2:57 PM, Portugal25 said:

Thank you all for your kind words.

It`s pretty clear that so far the results are nothing less than amazing.

Amazing result in only 6 months, you must be delighted! :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I’m at 7 months now and it seems like there’s been no improvement since last month so I got a bit worried and made the difficult decision to resume Finasteride after 12 years without taking this drug due to some side effects. 

Dr. Pekiner and Dr. Bruno Ferreira both urged me to take Finasteride so I’m taking their advice (should have done it 6 months before the surgery).

Hope by adding Finasteride it will help me avoid having blank spots in my crown and midscalp within the next few months.

Let me know what you think.

861DFCA2-88DB-4489-9FB9-E2A97AFB8A87.jpeg

BD7AF952-415F-4669-8CB2-80ACACDD4BA3.jpeg

399907F0-1BCA-4B12-8BD2-17F6AABFCDD5.jpeg

8C83DB1E-B75D-41F0-8FC2-775F0778C97F.jpeg

FA475330-C28C-4477-BA9F-B801D1345610.jpeg

755BB8FC-E490-44D5-9349-4BCF0A42946E.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25

I think it looks good considering your level of baldness. The new hair looks still very thin and weak. This will improve in the future. But FIN is really helpful in your case as your donor zones is very small and probably also affected by DHT. Growth happens in spurts, I think you have a little more growth and a lot of maturation to expect. 

• Thanks 1

To me it looks really really good. Don't forget where are you coming from!

Also worth mentioning that beard grafts are more "unpredictable" than scalp. Their growth phases might be very different from scalp hair, thus needed more time?

• Thanks 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

I think you've another 3 months of potential pop through growth and a further 2 to 6 months of full thickness and maturing to look forward to. 

You're decision to restart finasteride was a very prudent one and perhaps equally as important as having the HT itself. 

Didnt realise Dr Pekinar was so efficient in the use of BHT to be honest. 

Thanks for the clear transparent pictures too.. 

Happy growing in the coming months 

Z

• Thanks 1

I have a question guys: how will finasteride be any helpful if the quasi totality of Portugal25's hairs are implanted hairs. I thought finasteride was useful to preserve native scalp hairs.