Dr. Kaan Pekiner FUE+BHT 3895 (2007 FUE + 1888 BHT) 28/12/2019

Portugal25

@Portugal25 Can  hair from the beard be used again as donor hair in the future if needed? This is because from the photo  where the patient has  had his beard hair used 12 months after surgery    it looks like  his beard hair is back to  normal with good growth  just as his beard would have looked  like before surgery? 

Edited by kmgrafix

@kmgrafix look at patient pictures 1 year after they had a regular FUE surgery and you will see that it’s also difficult to see any difference in their scalp donor area because the Doctors avoid overharvesting the scalp donor area.

Dr. Pekiner asked if I shaved everyday and wouldn’t mind overharvesting my beard. I said “go ahead” because I wanted more density in my crown and couldn’t care less about my beard.
I had 1888 grafts removed from my beard and today I can notice some gaps when I don’t shave for 2 days but even having had beard overharvesting not everyone can notice these gaps below my chin and jawline. 
I do believe I still have more beard grafts  for a future HT

The patients in those HLC pictures probably said they didn’t want overharvesting of the beard and therefore a smaller amount was extracted and you can’t easily tell the difference. 

Edited by Portugal25

@Jijypuru I know that Dr. Pekiner was carefully selecting the best grafts because I could feel him searching when he was extracting from my scalp and beard but I am not sure if it’s possible to select only brown beard grafts if you have more than one color hair in your beard. 

Dr. Bruno told my friend that he has years of experience with beard grafts and that he does BHT at Lorenzo’s clinic and his clinic. 

However, I believe that Dr. Pekiner has lot more experience with beard grafts than any other Doctor because he has been doing beard mega sessions on a regular basis since he was at HLC (HLC is also know for their great work with beard mega sessions). 

Edited by Portugal25

@kmgrafix the reason why the Doctors remove grafts from under the chin and jawline is because some people have sensitive skin and can get tiny white dots where the punch extracted their beard. If the beard was extracted from under the chin and jawline then nobody will be able to notice those tiny white dots but if these dots are in the face they will be noticeable. 

Several patients of Dr. Pekiner go back to a second surgery to have beard grafts removed from the face because they didn’t get white dots under the chin in the first surgery.

You can check below a image of patient of Dr. Pekiner that went back to do a second BHT surgery and had beard removed from his face.

I didn’t get white dots so I if I decide to have another hair transplant I can also take beard grafts from my face. 

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

@guestY thanks for reminding me as it’s now been 1 month since my surgery.

My crown looks less dense than it did on my 12  day post-op pictures so I assume shedding as already started 😞 even though I didn’t notice hairs falling out 

My FUT scar made in 2008 by Dr. Rahal is not noticeable and the donor area from the scalp and beard seems to have recovered nicely. It’s a little itchy sometimes in the scalp but that’s to be expected.

I posted photos with strong overhead bathroom lighting and 1 photo of the crown in low light. 

Let me know what you guys think. 

F708F4CC-2673-4CAB-AFA0-240BDD92F251.jpeg

7519AC66-5EB0-425B-A8E2-663C53E31C62.jpeg

040D5EE6-46FD-45F1-A598-03F651CB3914.jpeg

BEC25678-3B43-4093-B51B-219E987BE2BB.jpeg

20CB6111-6F00-4D55-A85C-AEC9379E7CA0.jpeg

0CDAB894-B3AB-4454-B115-E37EFC39BC1F.jpeg

AB6924D5-1BAC-4475-AE93-F41C4634824B.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25

@Portugal25You have  good  thick beard growth in your chin and cheek area which would really beneficial for your next hair transplant. Though will your  beard hair grow less thick after your transplant after beard hair is taken from the cheek and chin area for a hair transplant? By less thick hair I mean that after you shave the chin and cheek area will look more smooth  like this  http://www.mensfashionmagazine.com/how-to-get-a-clean-shave as  opposed to someone who has a thick  beard where even after a close shave their beard area has a shadow like this  https://prince.org/msg/100/403978?pr 

Edited by kmgrafix

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing, I'm interested to see how this turns out, I have been thinking about using some BHT myself. The work looks great, and I really can't see any scarring in your beard at all, I usually grow my beard out a little bit. I'm wondering do you notice a difference in density in the beard?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@kmgrafix the pictures I posted were taken 3hours after shaving and there has been no difference in the growth or thickness of my beard after my surgery.

@Melvin-Moderator if I don’t shave for 48h I can see very tiny gaps in the beard shadow but it’s hard to notice them and I think that if I let my beard grow out nobody will be able to see any gaps in the density of the beard hairs.

Edited by Portugal25

• 3 weeks later...

@guestY I will be uploading my 2 month pictures very soon.

The pain during the procedure is pretty much the same for FUT or FUE because the only pain is from the anesthesia.

The difference is in the recovery because FUT has a much more painful recovery while FUE was a breeze.

I could have never went back to work after 11 days of my FUT surgery but 11 days after FUE and I was almost perfect. 

Edited by Portugal25

• 2 weeks later...

Dear HRN members, two days ago I hit the 2 month mark a.k.a “Ugly Duckling Phase”.

There has been some shedding but it seems that several grafts didn’t shed and kept on growing.

I can see some black dots that seem to be new hair growth so I expect things to be better next mont. 

This is how things are looking as of today. 

Looking forward to your comments.

97FC10F2-EEE2-4D23-B905-102ED5A72A18.jpeg

1118CD9B-84B5-45FF-8E2E-D27A695A3500.jpeg

5AFEF922-B203-48F2-8F91-DE975AA80FF3.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25

• Valued Contributor

I may not be the first person to note this but it really doesn’t look like you’ve shed very much. Seems as though most of those hairs just kept on growing! It looks really good for being so early in the process!! I’m really excited for you, man! I can’t wait to see how this comes together.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So I just hit the 3 month mark 😀

It looks like more growth and future hairs seem to be lurking out so I’m hoping things to get better next month.

Still taking saw palmetto, biotin and applying Minoxidil every night.

7237F24B-EA4D-466B-A347-AD3AF85D8D5B.jpeg

FAA181FE-B7A6-4A37-8770-A5F75D693219.jpeg

01D8E682-4AFF-4EBD-977D-3B3988466B32.jpeg

8AEC2844-0311-4CD4-8782-CB15DA7D4FC0.jpeg

D28E3D11-9CED-4D19-A6BD-04EA93A65A8A.jpeg

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

@PlzRespond foam is not available in Portugal so I just use regular 5% Minoxidil spray every night. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow I reach 4 months post surgery so I took some photos to share with you guys.

The left side of the crown seems to be taking longer to fill than the right.
Hope this gets much better so I don’t have to consider a third HT or having to use Toppik everyday.

BB70157B-60D1-4227-80A3-823E9372391F.jpeg

2E7ACCD6-8890-4B65-960C-EA309ED3567A.jpeg

A8810BDB-AF2C-49E7-9984-68F710C85896.jpeg

EB0C3825-87CE-4BFF-B945-0117E6BF3A16.jpeg

5C0383D7-D30E-4D89-8234-52B123665F88.jpeg

hello @Portugal25 it is not as you say and that is that the right part proceeds better than the left part, it is just that you combed it so that the right is more covered by the length of the hair.  Since Pekiner did a good job, but keep in mind that he used the 1888 beard graft and as you know very well those grafts all come from one hair, so a lot of coverage they won't give it.  You will definitely improve a lot and you will certainly be better than the pre, but it always depends on expectations, so using Toppik or thinking about another HT will only depend on what you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1