Dr. Kaan Pekiner FUE+BHT 3895 (2007 FUE + 1888 BHT) 28/12/2019

Portugal25

35 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

Totally false!

I most certainly lost several of my transplanted hairs over the course of the last 12 years!

@PT#31 knows me for over 15 years and can tell you that my frontal area that had 3425 grafts implanted in 2008 looked amazingly dense in 2009 and today not even 50% of the transplanted grafts have survived due to not taking Finasteride.

No it’s was not due to losing my frontal native hairs because Dr. Rahal assumed the hairs I had in the frontal area would be gone in under 5 years so he rebuilt the whole frontal area. 

Dude, I don't want to sound harsh, but the pictures you provided and the numbers you posted are telling a different story.

In any case, I wish you the best and I guess we have given you our opinion regarding your choice of jumping on finasteride. You are a grown up and you can do an informed decision. Hopefully you will be able to achieve the density you are after with or without finasteride.

Good luck for everything.

3 hours ago, Curious25 said:

But given that it is already recognised, and has been for decades, that beard hair growth occurs as a result of the follicles sensitivity to DHT, I’m failing to see the logic in suppressing their ‘fertiliser’ as Melvin earlier put it. 

What benefits can result from trying to inhibit the hormone they are dependant upon? 

The benefits aren't targeted towards them, are they? 

3 minutes ago, HTP1 said:

The benefits aren't targeted towards them, are they? 

Exactly - so  now do you see the contraindication in the advice? Where is the logical sense, if this type of hair follicle is the one that is currently providing the coverage on his mid scalp and crown? 

On 8/30/2020 at 9:14 PM, Portugal25 said:

@Melvin-Moderator according to Dr. Pekiner if I don’t take Finasteride I will probably lose the hair on the green area and recommends I keep taking 3mg per week.

2576E987-D0C9-465D-BD8A-2AD452391DCA.jpeg

I specifically asked Pekiner about fina and he said that people having BHT should not take fina because it weaken that FUs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, duchaine said:

I specifically asked Pekiner about fina and he said that people having BHT should not take fina because it weaken that FUs.

Whatsapped Pekiner last week and he said I should take it to avoid going full NW7 on my sides.

He also said some thinning on the beard grafts could happen but it`s unlikely.

I trust that with the acumulated experience he has implanting beard grafts on people taking Finasteride he knows what side effects to expect for beard grafts implanted on the scalp and thus advised me accordingly.

Dr. Bruno Ferreira also said I should be on Finasteride despite my implated beard grafts.

Since I`m not a Doctor I spoke with 2 Doctors to get 2 opinions and their opinions were the same so I`m following their advice.

Edited by Portugal25

Interesting to see reports of conflicting advice from the same doctor. 

I guess you can take comfort in the fact that you have had a second opinion from Dr BF confirming the advice to start finasteride. 

I’d be interested to understand why or how surgeons are confident that the levels of DHT inhibition from propecia/finasteride, aren’t significant enough to adversely affect BHT grafts, however significant enough to reduce miniaturisation of scalp grafts - are there studies and research surrounding this? I would imagine it is ultimately very dependent on dosage and the individual. 

Another bemusing observation is the seemingly lack of regard towards the coverage the BHT grafts are providing in this case - the crown area. Balding on the crown is usually one of the more sensitive areas that men face, so to prioritise lateral humps from potentially miniaturising (which can be covered from combing over hair from the top if needs be) , at the expense of the crown BHT grafts - with the outlook that, oh well at least the donor will be strong enough to re-transplant later down the line if needed .. sounds a little bit counter intuitive, 1 step forward, 1 step back, if you like? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Interesting to see reports of conflicting advice from the same doctor. 

I guess you can take comfort in the fact that you have had a second opinion from Dr BF confirming the advice to start finasteride. 

I’d be interested to understand why or how surgeons are confident that the levels of DHT inhibition from propecia/finasteride, aren’t significant enough to adversely affect BHT grafts, however significant enough to reduce miniaturisation of scalp grafts - are there studies and research surrounding this? I would imagine it is ultimately very dependent on dosage and the individual. 

Another bemusing observation is the seemingly lack of regard towards the coverage the BHT grafts are providing in this case - the crown area. Balding on the crown is usually one of the more sensitive areas that men face, so to prioritise lateral humps from potentially miniaturising (which can be covered from combing over hair from the top if needs be) , at the expense of the crown BHT grafts - with the outlook that, oh well at least the donor will be strong enough to re-transplant later down the line if needed .. sounds a little bit counter intuitive, 1 step forward, 1 step back, if you like? 

I think at this point you're speculating with every comment, just because you disagree with decision of 2 surgeons.

Perhaps worth get a consultation with both surgeons and ask for their opinion if it's really that interesting for you? This would give more insight I think.

• Haha 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

8 minutes ago, Rolandas said:

I think at this point you're speculating with every comment, just because you disagree with decision of 2 surgeons.

Perhaps worth get a consultation with both surgeons and ask for their opinion if it's really that interesting for you? This would give more insight I think.

Maybe you misunderstood, but I was alluding to my interest surrounding the same doctor (Pekiner) reportedly giving conflicting advice to @duchaine and @Portugal25 with regards to this matter. 

Anyway, I don’t think it’d be a productive use of my time arranging consultations to discuss the impacts of 5AR inhibition on BHT grafts, considering; 

a) the doctor seems to be a little unclear himself 

b) the fact I don’t use 5AR blockers, or have transplanted BHT grafts 

c) I am lucky enough to have access to a global forum consisting of a wealth of information, threads and knowledgable contributions, that usually provide sufficient enough input to answer these types of questions 

🙂

PS I don’t agree nor disagree - I don’t know , hence my intrigue. 

Logic however, would suggest that inhibiting an enzyme that converts testosterone to an androgen directly responsible for the growth of a particular type of hair follicle, that has been used to aesthetically improve ones appearance, wouldn’t be of benefit, but more of a negative 🤷🏻‍♂️

But WTFDIK . . I’m not a doc 😁 

Edited by Curious25

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Maybe you misunderstood, but I was alluding to my interest surrounding the same doctor (Pekiner) reportedly giving conflicting advice to @duchaine and @Portugal25 with regards to this matter. 

I understand that you have it out for Pekiner but you need to understand that this a results thread and I’m posting my experience with my HT.

I got this WhatsApp from Pekiner and it matches the advice I got from Dr. BF so I’m doing what any patient does, follow the doctors advise.

FF453FCE-E779-4D69-87A1-8CD4C00EA0ED.png

10 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Anyway, I don’t think it’d be a productive use of my time arranging consultations to discuss the impacts of 5AR inhibition on BHT grafts, considering; 

a) the doctor seems to be a little unclear himself 

b) the fact I don’t use 5AR blockers, or have transplanted BHT grafts 

c) I am lucky enough to have access to a global forum consisting of a wealth of information, threads and knowledgable contributions, that usually provide sufficient enough input to answer these types of questions 

🙂

I completely understand where you're coming from and I know you mean well and everything, but just creating such drama on this post where patient had clearly given the same suggestions of 2 medical professionals in my opinion is not right. @Portugal25 is listening to what his doctor is saying and following his advice. He might not feel comfortable with such allegations spit over in his case. In the end of the day it's 2 surgeons opinion vs 1 stranger online.
I'm not saying one is right and the other is not. You don't know full situation. Usually people disagree on facts, because they don't see the full picture. I believe there's a good enough reason for Dr. Pekiner to suggest for his patient hop on Finasteride even with having BHT.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

Hey no intentional drama caused on my behalf man - if you read back through my posts I have been nothing but supportive and in awe of the results achieved on here - as I have with your thread Aswell. The only inflammatory comment I perhaps made was in regards to the plot thickening earlier on today - which admittedly now, probably wasn’t necessary. 

I’m here to learn as much as everyone else is - which is why I love having the opportunities to ask questions on threads such as these and debate topics that don’t always make sense to me. 

In this case - I can now see from the WhatsApp that Dr Pekiner has conceded that it may have some adverse affect on the BHT grafts (which was what I initially queried) but is seemingly more preoccupied with the benefits that it will bring - the next part of the puzzle for me would be to understand what benefits these are, and why they would take president  over potential detriment to the BHT grafts. 

Apologies in advance if these questions are causing unnecessary drama - have a look at my posts over on melvins NW6/7 thread and you can see I was conscious that the discussions on here were potentially taking away from an otherwise amazing NW7 transformation. 

Nothing but love and admiration for anyone who posts threads of their journeys - we’re in this together after all. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

Whatsapped Pekiner last week and he said I should take it to avoid going full NW7 on my sides.

He also said some thinning on the beard grafts could happen but it`s unlikely.

I trust that with the acumulated experience he has implanting beard grafts on people taking Finasteride he knows what side effects to expect for beard grafts implanted on the scalp and thus advised me accordingly.

Dr. Bruno Ferreira also said I should be on Finasteride despite my implated beard grafts.

Since I`m not a Doctor I spoke with 2 Doctors to get 2 opinions and their opinions were the same so I`m following their advice.

i specifically asked what do ti inprove my grafts health and he explained me that fina is supposed to be counterproductive for beard transplant.

Edited by duchaine

3 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

I understand that you have it out for Pekiner but you need to understand that this a results thread and I’m posting my experience with my HT.

I got this WhatsApp from Pekiner and it matches the advice I got from Dr. BF so I’m doing what any patient does, follow the doctors advise.

FF453FCE-E779-4D69-87A1-8CD4C00EA0ED.png

Will it cause miniaturization of beard grafts?

answer: THIS IS A POSSIBILITY.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:52 PM, duchaine said:

Will it cause miniaturization of beard grafts?

answer: THIS IS A POSSIBILITY.

What I understood from both Dr. Pekiner and Dr. BF is that the possibility of miniaturization of the beard grafts is not enough to throw away to benefits I will have from taking Finasteride like keeping my NW6 natural sides and not evolving to a full NW7. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to chime in after coming back from Ankara, where I had my procedure with Dr. Pekiner. I will skip the report with him as per Melvin's policy, even if the doctor is truly amazing and I would advice him to anyone.

I asked specifically about the topics we have been discussing here. His opinion about transplanted hairs is that they don't fall. What happens to some of them is that they get thinner with age and AGA and that's why I was having 5 % of them on donor that were miniaturized. But they remain full length, unlike what's happening on the recipient area. He told me that there are different opinions among surgeons though and this is just his opinion. So basically we don't know, but it seems that surgeons are moving away from the concept of so called immune hairs.

Regarding the topic of treatments and beard grafts, he wanted to implant some beard grafts in the beginning, but when I told him that I'm under treatment with clascoterone and other topical anti-androgens, he changed his mind and we decided to leave the beard grafts for the future if needed. That means he is fully aware that hair loss treatments are counter productive for bears grafts, but he evaluates case by case.

Edited by Cristero

@Cristero there was a new post on Pekiner recently so I was under the impression HRN members could post about their experience with any Doctor regardless if his rep is banned (like Pekiner’s rep). 

You are a HRN member that contributed here before having the HT so I don’t understand why you believe you can’t show the rest of the members how was your HT experience with Dr. Pekiner (good or bad) as that’s something more likely to happen in the Italian forum but please check with @Melvin-Moderator 

2 minutes ago, Cristero said:

Did you see any further progress with your HT btw @Portugal25?

I think it’s better and I will post pictures on the 26th after I get  haircut. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Cristero said:

Not sure @Portugal25, but this is what I got from @Melvin-Moderatorlast time I spoke with him privately. That Pekiner's patients report weren't allowed on this website anymore.

@Melvin-Moderatoris that correct?

If you want to share your report and it’s authentic, go ahead. I had to ban his rep, because he was all around shady. I had to keep a tab, because I have a feeling there was a couple of fake reports floating around. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

If you want to share your report and it’s authentic, go ahead. I had to ban his rep, because he was all around shady. I had to keep a tab, because I have a feeling there was a couple of fake reports floating around. 

@Cristero as you can see HRN is all about us bald guys talking about our experiences managing our hairloss so obviously a HRN member like yourself would never be censored or not allowed to share your experience because that’s the whole reason why this forum exists in the first place.

Looking forward to reading your about your experience and hope you get the results your hoping for. 

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Melvin-ModeratorYou know me since a while now, and you know I was looking for a surgeon and then eventually decided for Dr. Pekiner. I'm glad I did and I hope the results will turn out to be good. Time will tell.

Thanks @Portugal25 for the encouraging words. Now it's all about patience and taking care in the post-op. Biggest challenge for now is to stay away from lifting heavy weights for a while. Feels like a torture :D.

Edited by Cristero

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 4:47 PM, Cristero said:

@Melvin-ModeratorYou know me since a while now, and you know I was looking for a surgeon and then eventually decided for Dr. Pekiner. I'm glad I did and I hope the results will turn out to be good. Time will tell.

Thanks @Portugal25 for the encouraging words. Now it's all about patience and taking care in the post-op. Biggest challenge for now is to stay away from lifting heavy weights for a while. Feels like a torture :D.

I had my HT done by Dr. Pekiner last year, not sure whats happened recently about reports on here but he is a legit and imo very respectable Dr, my experience and results have been good with him, id recommend him to others so its a shame he isn't well known for Europeans on this forum as a high contender