Growing hair back? - The Big 3 ++ Journey

Yes. I am in India, but have almost imported the Kirkland brand of Minoxidil because it is non-performed and doesn't leave any residue in the hair. On a whim, I started 10% and within 20 days I see improvement and fuzzy miniaturised hair sprouting. Although the product does leave a residue and leaves the hair fizzy. So I use at night once only. 

I like the oral ,minoxidil suggestion and can get it here. And I know people here are debating exact dosage and pros and cons. I am going to get more data on that and will definitely switch. 

Another question, you say minoxidil does not benefit the frontal area? This is news to me. I remember I had my first HT with Ron Shapiro ( frontal area) and he recommended I use it religiously. And a lot of people are using for frontal thinning or baldness.

thx

2 hours ago, rocketmas said:

Another question, you say minoxidil does not benefit the frontal area? This is news to me. I remember I had my first HT with Ron Shapiro ( frontal area) and he recommended I use it religiously. And a lot of people are using for frontal thinning or baldness.

I should put an ** here. I haven't found anything directly relating minox to hairline regrowth. I was using it on the front tbh just because, but I have switched spectral dnc.

also an ** i have previously used minoxidil years ago by itself with zero results, I continue to use it now because I see what I am doing as a whole not as a bunch of separate things, if that makes sense. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

4 hours ago, Shifty said:

I should put an ** here. I haven't found anything directly relating minox to hairline regrowth. I was using it on the front tbh just because, but I have switched spectral dnc.

also an ** i have previously used minoxidil years ago by itself with zero results, I continue to use it now because I see what I am doing as a whole not as a bunch of separate things, if that makes sense. 

I see people say this quite a bit but the rationale for it is flawed. The Minoxidil trials that got the drug FDA approved were only testing on the vertex which is why the box explicitly talks about vertex only. The drug is a vasodilator and the front or the back of your head should have very little impact on this.

Less impact of Minoxidil in the frontal area for some people likely comes down to a few possible things.

1. The front is more sensitive to androgens on average and thus miniaturization is more aggressive there.

2. People often only start thinking about losing hair when they notice the front going, by which point the viability of many of those follicles is long since compromised. On a similar note, you also have a far better view of your hairline than your vertex and can more accurately assess gains or loss.

3. Minoxidil relies on a particular enzyme being present in the scalp to convert into minoxidil sulfate which is the thing that's actually helpful. Non responders are people with low amounts of this enzyme in the scalp. It's possible that those enzymes tend to be less present towards the front...but I'm not sure that tracks given the proximity to the back. Seems like it would be all or nothing. When oral minoxidil is metabolized in the liver that critical enzyme is created, which is part of why some people see better results with oral vs. topical. It's also the reason that some people start to see hair growth across their bodies. If minoxidil can promote hair growth on your face, back, chest, etc there's no reason it wouldn't also do so on the front of the scalp. Again, the question is largely how miniaturized those follicles are or how long they have been dormant.

Having said all this, I'm curious to see whether Spectral has any additional benefits for you. An informative thread as always.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2020 at 5:21 AM, Shifty said:

Just an **

*** Derma rolling induces the production of collagen along with a  couple of other things. I you're going to start using collagen as a supplement you want to use it with a purpose.

Thoughts on silica, more specifically the product called biosil? The company that makes it actually performed a decent study (you can argu it’s flawed since they funded it) that showed it helped a good amount with increasing collagen production.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, Mycroft said:

I see people say this quite a bit but the rationale for it is flawed. The Minoxidil trials that got the drug FDA approved were only testing on the vertex which is why the box explicitly talks about vertex only. The drug is a vasodilator and the front or the back of your head should have very little impact on this.

Less impact of Minoxidil in the frontal area for some people likely comes down to a few possible things.

1. The front is more sensitive to androgens on average and thus miniaturization is more aggressive there.

2. People often only start thinking about losing hair when they notice the front going, by which point the viability of many of those follicles is long since compromised. On a similar note, you also have a far better view of your hairline than your vertex and can more accurately assess gains or loss.

3. Minoxidil relies on a particular enzyme being present in the scalp to convert into minoxidil sulfate which is the thing that's actually helpful. Non responders are people with low amounts of this enzyme in the scalp. It's possible that those enzymes tend to be less present towards the front...but I'm not sure that tracks given the proximity to the back. Seems like it would be all or nothing. When oral minoxidil is metabolized in the liver that critical enzyme is created, which is part of why some people see better results with oral vs. topical. It's also the reason that some people start to see hair growth across their bodies. If minoxidil can promote hair growth on your face, back, chest, etc there's no reason it wouldn't also do so on the front of the scalp. Again, the question is largely how miniaturized those follicles are or how long they have been dormant.

Having said all this, I'm curious to see whether Spectral has any additional benefits for you. An informative thread as always.

This basically stated what I said, you just explained it in more detail. At the end of the day there is no real evidence and I have to use that as my litmus. 

I started thinking about my hair loss when it hit the crown, the receding hair did not bother my because I receded a long time ago. By the time i noticed the crown the front started to go faster as well as you can see from my previous photos.

I appreciate the last statement. Ill continue to use it and post. Hoping for the best as alwayss! 

On 8/17/2020 at 4:59 AM, LonelyGraft said:

Thoughts on silica, more specifically the product called biosil? The company that makes it actually performed a decent study (you can argu it’s flawed since they funded it) that showed it helped a good amount with increasing collagen production.

I actually take bamboo extract. Link in this thread, Ill look into Biosil never heard of it. 

To the OP,  is there a growth recovery point where you would actually style your hair like your avatar for at least one day and post the pic? :D

Cracks me up when I read you, can't help but picture the Willow brownie mouthing your words. Great thread btw and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Such a valuable thread.  When i look at op’s first picture to current picture, what a difference night and day.  Amazing how a good regimen can produce and how well it can hold.  Best part is, looks completely natural— thats the key thing.  I come back and see updates on this thread often and it truly is amazing.  I am wondering how many large hair transplant where folks supplement medicine and vitamins and proper care are actually more of a result of a regimen itself or the actual transplant.  What is pushing the percentage of yield?  Its hard to say unless someone stops using meds.  

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

To the OP,  is there a growth recovery point where you would actually style your hair like your avatar for at least one day and post the pic? :D

Cracks me up when I read you, can't help but picture the Willow brownie mouthing your words. Great thread btw and thanks for sharing.

LOL i dont think so but maybe ill throw in an "I stole the baby" somewhere for you lol 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sean said:

Such a valuable thread.  When i look at op’s first picture to current picture, what a difference night and day.  Amazing how a good regimen can produce and how well it can hold.  Best part is, looks completely natural— thats the key thing.  I come back and see updates on this thread often and it truly is amazing.  I am wondering how many large hair transplant where folks supplement medicine and vitamins and proper care are actually more of a result of a regimen itself or the actual transplant.  What is pushing the percentage of yield?  Its hard to say unless someone stops using meds.  

I am playing around with stopping Fin to see what happens ... little scurred tho lol 

• Haha 1

Just for shits and giggles, thought I'd share crown. Hasn't budged much. But i started using Spectral DNC along with Minox so we'll see. 

Good news is there seems to be quite a bit of hairs there, so maybe they just need to thicken up a little?  

image.thumb.png.26c467387c88e93d0d86fa5eb8bda48f.png

image.png.e709457da14bd7ef5d68cfab5fbe6bcc.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jimcraig152 said:

@Shifty, can you point to a video, if there is one, that best describes your application of the derma roller?

I have adopted my own way.

The pen is easy I just use it in areas until they are red. straight lines, circles doesn't really matter to me. 

The Roller is simple as well. 10 times over an area. I do it 3 times per area. Vertical, horizontal and diagonal. 

• Like 1

So I am sitting here at my desk at home, the sun is shinning in from a window and as obsessed as I am I looked at my hair (lol) with a camera on the pc and noticed this.

This is my widows peak, and to be honest I am kinda shocked. These are vellus hairs that seem to be growing....

LIGHTED 8.20.20.jpg

• Administrators

Wow what kind of a camera is that?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow what kind of a camera is that?

used my cell phone for the close up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tot0101 said:

Did you still use the biotin with bamboo extracts? I saw it on a previous page but not on your final breakdown? 

I do. same brand. I was actually thinking this morning as I took my 2 capsules if I should cut it out. Not really sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Anniversary to me. Today marks exactly 2 years since starting the journey. I started with Finesteride 1mg September 26 2018. 

Below is taken earlier with some cbd spray in front and Minox on top so its a little wet/matted. But also gives a great view of how I have fared over the past 2 years.  I combed it all in the direction I believe it naturally wants to go in as well. 

I started to use the derma roller lower on the hair line to see if I can activate other follicles and lower the hairline. Will be a good experiment. I started this knowingly last night. 

Anywho, I've been super religious since day one with everything and so far its payed off. 

For comparison. The first picture was taken late 2015 early 2016 and it got considerably worse in the 2 years after.  The crown was already gone by that point. The next 2 years the front temples just disappeared. The red circle pic is I believe from early 2015? (maybe 14? I label my pictures by date now) when I realized spiky hair did not work anymore so I tried to grow it out.  What was I thinking lol. You can actually see the progression from the 1st and second pics (reversed)

** corona virus and lockdown and a long life lol has completely made me misinterpret time, days weeks months all melt into one so even the dates I am posting might be wrong.  I cant even believe I started this 2 years ago today, I had to scroll back into this thread to find out when I did. Thankfully I posted it! Someone asked me how old I was the other day and I had to think about it LOL 

image.png.e59d0436f0466ae860329a9856eb9513.png

image.png.f5b84ce83f6daa6703033a623fea6c58.png

image.png.444d49e65bb4b028152b784dc59e326c.png

image.png.c931be9bcf19d20d9640e628d749bb2b.png

image.png.83f957c5fd2b21dfeff278ef987a40ff.png

image.png.ec782b0fc66e070e59e0c12740a0eb5f.png

Edited by Shifty
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, Shifty said:

Happy Anniversary to me. Today marks exactly 2 years since starting the journey. I started with Finesteride 1mg September 26 2018. 

Below is taken earlier with some cbd spray in front and Minox on top so its a little wet/matted. But also gives a great view of how I have fared over the past 2 years.  I combed it all in the direction I believe it naturally wants to go in as well. 

I started to use the derma roller lower on the hair line to see if I can activate other follicles and lower the hairline. Will be a good experiment. I started this knowingly last night. 

Anywho, I've been super religious since day one with everything and so far its payed off. 

For comparison. The first picture was taken late 2015 early 2016 and it got considerably worse in the 2 years after.  The crown was already gone by that point. The next 2 years the front temples just disappeared. The red circle pic is I believe from early 2015? (maybe 14? I label my pictures by date now) when I realized spiky hair did not work anymore so I tried to grow it out.  What was I thinking lol. You can actually see the progression from the 1st and second pics (reversed)

** corona virus and lockdown and a long life lol has completely made me misinterpret time, days weeks months all melt into one so even the dates I am posting might be wrong.  I cant even believe I started this 2 years ago today, I had to scroll back into this thread to find out when I did. Thankfully I posted it! Someone asked me how old I was the other day and I had to think about it LOL 

image.png.e59d0436f0466ae860329a9856eb9513.png

image.png.f5b84ce83f6daa6703033a623fea6c58.png

image.png.444d49e65bb4b028152b784dc59e326c.png

image.png.c931be9bcf19d20d9640e628d749bb2b.png

image.png.83f957c5fd2b21dfeff278ef987a40ff.png

image.png.ec782b0fc66e070e59e0c12740a0eb5f.png

Fantastic. Is your regimen the same? Is the updated one listed anywhere?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTHope said:

Fantastic. Is your regimen the same? Is the updated one listed anywhere?

47 minutes ago, jimcraig152 said:

Bookmarked it for myself. Here ya go.

Copy and pasted because right after I remembered.

I also may have mentioned somewhere in here but if not I added these 2 a couple months ago.

twice a day (morn/night) https://dslaboratories.com/products/spectral-cbd-innovative-hair-loss-treatment-with-nanoxidil-5-cbd

I use this as regular Shampoo https://dslaboratories.com/collections/mens/products/revita-cbd-purifying-shampoo

I actually forgot a couple things!

morning and night

Pumpkin seed oil pills - Vitacost https://bit.ly/2WgCa7A 

Biotin w/ bamboo extract - Vitacost https://bit.ly/3dDbJ1T

Zinc w/ copper - https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/solaray-zinc-copper-50mg-2mg-100-capsules/so-1988