Growing hair back? - The Big 3 ++ Journey

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

Looking at my older photos and realizing how considerably greyer my hair has gotten since I started this. Is there a forum for that? 😪 never eff'in happy lol

I hope there’ll be a treatment for regaining pigment in your hair one day!

• 5 months later...

Hello my folliclely challenged friends!  Been a few months. I just wanted to update on a change not to my liking.

So  I stopped using Minoxidil. As you can see my November 2021 hair was pretty decent all things considered. Figured I'd give it a shot without. Well about a month ago for some odd reason I had a few bottles of minoxidil left and I decided to run through them. My hair hadn't changed much since stopping but waste not want not! Unfortunately things took a slight turn. I started noticing hair falling out. Specifically in the sink and when I washed my hair. Not in the drain mind you, but I could see ihair on my hands. I'm sure I can still get away with fibers but honestly this kinda sucks lol. Hopefully this is the minox working its way through the system because it's fairly known you can shed before you grow with it. 

Anyways, hope all is well! 

Front.jpg

Top.jpg

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• Administrators

I’m positive it’s from stopping minoxidil. No guarantee it will grow the hair back. Catch up hair loss is a real thing. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

18 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m positive it’s from stopping minoxidil. No guarantee it will grow the hair back. Catch up hair loss is a real thing. 

The strange thing is. I've used Minox by itself before with zero results good or bad. Now I stop using then start again and I lose hair.. my luck lol Hopefully it gets back to where it was

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Shifty said:

The strange thing is. I've used Minox by itself before with zero results good or bad. Now I stop using then start again and I lose hair.. my luck lol Hopefully it gets back to where it was

The perception is it’s not working, but it’s definitely working. The thing with minoxidil is it doesn’t regrow hair in most cases. But it will retain hair for a long time, especially when combined with finasteride. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

36 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The perception is it’s not working, but it’s definitely working. The thing with minoxidil is it doesn’t regrow hair in most cases. But it will retain hair for a long time, especially when combined with finasteride. 

Almost makes no sense lol Unless the finest is losing the potency which is very possible. There are still hairs there they just get super thin. Is there anything to combat the thinning of the follicle vs having to regrow it or maintain it? I am still going to get PRP just haven't had the time or disposable funds.

10 hours ago, Shifty said:

Almost makes no sense lol Unless the finest is losing the potency which is very possible. There are still hairs there they just get super thin. Is there anything to combat the thinning of the follicle vs having to regrow it or maintain it? I am still going to get PRP just haven't had the time or disposable funds.

it's abit hard to say since we don't exactly image our head into pictures daily to research them. it's possible its just hairs on their exogen phase, and minox stimulates the follicle to grow, and that pushes the old hair out.

with hair problem, it's hard to see them in their full effect in short term, and even in long term, you would need to document them to tell the difference because sometime we get used to it and think nothing happened.

i was on the same hole too. i started losing hair on high school, not to mention i have a big ass forehead, i did some damage because i didnt continue the meds, and then some hair never grow as long anymore, they just cant before they get shedded. i continued and now looking at myself, while im still "balder" than other my age, it's a far improvement if i reference to my father's hair.

and at the very least.... i won't have regrets of "i shouldn't have stopped it, i MIGHT have more hair now".
if its not digging your wallet, or it isn't distruptive to your lifestyle because applying them is tedious, and you don't have any side effect... i would recommend people to keep it on

• Like 1

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Shifty said:

I don’t think it’s finasteride losing efficacy. You regrew a lot of hair using combination therapy. You logged this for years. You then removed one medication, and your hair took a big hit months after. The evidence is pretty clear. Many assume minoxidil doesn’t work, but it’s FDA approved for a reason. It does work, especially when combined with finasteride.

Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing if you’ll have the same effect the first time around. But hopefully you do, I think this is a good case study to show the synergistic effects of minoxidil and finasteride. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

On 4/26/2022 at 3:57 PM, Shifty said:

Hello my folliclely challenged friends!  Been a few months. I just wanted to update on a change not to my liking.

So  I stopped using Minoxidil. As you can see my November 2021 hair was pretty decent all things considered. Figured I'd give it a shot without. Well about a month ago for some odd reason I had a few bottles of minoxidil left and I decided to run through them. My hair hadn't changed much since stopping but waste not want not! Unfortunately things took a slight turn. I started noticing hair falling out. Specifically in the sink and when I washed my hair. Not in the drain mind you, but I could see ihair on my hands. I'm sure I can still get away with fibers but honestly this kinda sucks lol. Hopefully this is the minox working its way through the system because it's fairly known you can shed before you grow with it. 

Anyways, hope all is well! 

Front.jpg

Top.jpg

Were you using minoxidil all over your scalp or just the crown? 

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t think it’s finasteride losing efficacy. You regrew a lot of hair using combination therapy. You logged this for years. You then removed one medication, and your hair took a big hit months after. The evidence is pretty clear. Many assume minoxidil doesn’t work, but it’s FDA approved for a reason. It does work, especially when combined with finasteride.

Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing if you’ll have the same effect the first time around. But hopefully you do, I think this is a good case study to show the synergistic effects of minoxidil and finasteride. 

I love being the case study 🥴 No one appreciates me the way I want them to lol

2 hours ago, FUT4000 said:

Were you using minoxidil all over your scalp or just the crown? 

Yes and no. I was switching the front with a CBD spray and minox.

10 hours ago, FUT4000 said:

very interesting. are you thinking about a HT now? 

It's always been an option I just had such great results with my regimen that I never bit the bullet. Also, I just can't afford it at the moment. Dr. Diep still has $1k deposit of mine.  I would even entertain a partial system for the crown. I've seen some really amazing results with them. Some not so amazing as well lol just have to find the right person to install it. 

On 4/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Any where that states if it's a good or bad idea to switch to topical when Ive been taking oral finesteride?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Any where that states if it's a good or bad idea to switch to topical when Ive been taking oral finesteride?

It might make a difference, unless you’re having side effects. I probably wouldn’t switch.

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It might make a difference, unless you’re having side effects. I probably wouldn’t switch.

Yeah it's possible. Somehow developed tinnitus in December, so it's been an uphill battle finding out why. Just checking off boxes at this point. Ill ask a doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

The journey continues! I just took these. somethings to note;

1) Seems hair is growing back already. Even my barber said she can see the new hairs.

2) As stated, I did start taking Minoxidil again. This probably led to the fallout and then subsequent growth.

3) I did dye my hair which makes it look thicker. I suggest other's do this as well. It actually works. (will be doing another session)

Front2.jpg

Top2.jpg

• 1 month later...

June update.

I started adding rosemary oil directly in my shampoo bottles shortly after the setback few months back.

Seems to be better looking now than it was before.

2nd pic is May 22' side by side with this morning. 

Front2.jpg

Top2.jpg

May June side by side.jpg

• Administrators

Are you still not using minoxidil?

View my thread

16 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you still not using minoxidil?

I started using it again in early/mid  May. 

May-June-July

Not that it made a huge difference but July Is right after I dyed my hair. And like 20 seconds after I put in Minox. If you notice, the left side of the pic (weak side), those tiny hairs can be dyed and do make your hair look fuller. It's not perfect but when it's dry with a little hair fiber, ain't no one gonna notice anything.

image.thumb.png.c745c3d1f77f9c161c406093e99f12ee.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 7/3/2022 at 8:46 AM, Shifty said:

May-June-July

Not that it made a huge difference but July Is right after I dyed my hair. And like 20 seconds after I put in Minox. If you notice, the left side of the pic (weak side), those tiny hairs can be dyed and do make your hair look fuller. It's not perfect but when it's dry with a little hair fiber, ain't no one gonna notice anything.

image.thumb.png.c745c3d1f77f9c161c406093e99f12ee.png

Basically proof minoxdil works, looks much better.

View my thread

On 4/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, Shifty said:

Yeah it's possible. Somehow developed tinnitus in December, so it's been an uphill battle finding out why. Just checking off boxes at this point. Ill ask a doctor.

Is this why you decided to jump off of Min in the first place? And if so did it go away when you stopped using Min?

Edited by GoliGoliGoli