Growing hair back? - The Big 3 ++ Journey

20 hours ago, Shifty said:

In my opinion, not knowing obviously, I think people just aren't strict enough with the regimen. As an example I take everything I am doing with me on vacations. Maybe, if others documented like myself and really went hard they would see similar results. Its yet to be seen.

This is so true.  Most folks give up 2-3 months into it thinking thats how long it takes.  I always tell them if your body can take the meds and adjust to them, try at least a year to see what’s coming.  Then i even know a guy that takes the pill one day then forgets 2 weeks and starts again.  I dont think anyone will have conclusive results like that.  It takes a lot of effort to do this and some folks think results are to be hd within a month or two.  

This documentation is really a very solid proof of what is achievable when things are done right.  Rare and valuable piece of information as so few folks who never had a surgery document in detail like this.  You are truly sincere and helping tons of folks out.  Thanks again for doing this and you've probably saved tons of folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I agree with @gillenator hair transplants should be seen as a last resort. Everyone reading this, should try hair loss prevention medications first, before considering surgery, cause you may not even need surgery.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 hours ago, rodfl said:

I have to agree with Shmiggy!!  I have been blessed with a stretch scar on the back of my head. My last procedure was about 8 years ago. Luckily, I have been able to improve the appearance somewhat. I will never be able to shave my head, or go as close as a number 4 clipper cut.

I had two additional surgeries to repair the mistakes from the original two procedures.. Unfortunately , the last surgery left me with a scar that can not be repaired.. I flew to Vancouver and Baltimore even visited some locals in Fl only to hear the same thing..." Don't touch it. You run the risk of making it worse".  I will not have another surgery.

Your story has inspired me. Thank you

19 hours ago, Shifty said:

That sucks, have you looked into SMP?

NO. not sure what that is lol.. I don't want to be totally negative about HT"s.  I did get good coverage but the hairline is straight and not natural looking. I can do things to camouflage the appearance with hairstyle and fibers etcetera . What stresses me out most is wind, and water.  I'm very athletic and play a lot of sports so I'm self conscious and wear hats a lot. Try my best to avoid pool parties and water sports.  The scar on the back of my head is easy to conceal when my hair is dry so that sucks too.

The good news is my hair has responded really well to Laser light therapy. I've started growing blond vellus hairs in front of my transplanted hairline. After reading your blog I  I"ve started micro/minox/same shampoo/vitamins.. I have taken dutasteride for about ten years (That's what one of the Dr's in Vancouver recommended because it blocks both forms of DHT) It works really well for me.

22 hours ago, rodfl said:

NO. not sure what that is lol.. I don't want to be totally negative about HT"s.  I did get good coverage but the hairline is straight and not natural looking. I can do things to camouflage the appearance with hairstyle and fibers etcetera . What stresses me out most is wind, and water.  I'm very athletic and play a lot of sports so I'm self conscious and wear hats a lot. Try my best to avoid pool parties and water sports.  The scar on the back of my head is easy to conceal when my hair is dry so that sucks too.

SMP - Scalp Micro Pigmentation. You can basically tattoo the scar to hide it.

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Just to show some contracts to my previous pictures. This is this morning right out of the shower and after using a hair dryer. **i did not place it, this is just how it falls

oct19 front.JPG

oct19 top.JPG

oct19 left.JPG

oct19 right.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shifty said:

SMP - Scalp Micro Pigmentation. You can basically tattoo the scar to hide it.

Yes. I tried that. Didn't work out for me. I have light hair so maybe the ink was too light..They tried twice

• 4 weeks later...

So Shifty do you wash your hair everyday? I saw you use a ketoconazole shampoo and a different one on other days. How long do you leave the ketoconazole in for? Do you always condition as well? 

Edited by Jallyn

On 11/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, Jallyn said:

So Shifty do you wash your hair everyday? I saw you use a ketoconazole shampoo and a different one on other days. How long do you leave the ketoconazole in for? Do you always condition as well? 

I do wash my hair every day. I leave the Keto shampoo in for 5 minutes. The non Keto shampoo for about 3 minutes. I always condition.

some photo updates. I have Rogaine foam in so after it dried i just brushed it through a little. The hair combed in the right direction can do wonders!

I started Derma rolling the temple points, Hoping to see some progress there. Ill start adding those photos as well. 

nov 2019 front.jpg

nov 2019 top.jpg

nov 2019 corner.jpg

nov 2019 temple.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shifty said:

P.S hate is not strong enough a word for dandruff. Who thinks I should stop Rogaine?? 

Same here...I’m debating using the home brew ‘Zix’ as I’ve seen a really good result from a person on another forum using as a replacement for Minoxidil,  and in conjunction with derma rolling and the progress looked great. I tried it last week but the only annoying thing about Zix is that it’s yellowish color stains a bit.

5 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Same here...I’m debating using the home brew ‘Zix’ as I’ve seen a really good result from a person on another forum using as a replacement for Minoxidil,  and in conjunction with derma rolling and the progress looked great. I tried it last week but the only annoying thing about Zix is that it’s yellowish color stains a bit.

zix?

59 minutes ago, Shifty said:

zix?

It’s a combination of Zinc Sulfate & Vitamin B6 P5P in distilled water or rubbing alcohol for a home brew that inhibits 5-AR in the scalp...according to some studies on Zinc’s role in DHT, it’s been around a while.

Perhaps consider oral minoxidil 5 mg. Patients are reporting very positively.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

18 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Are you still seeing dandruff with the foam minoxidil?

yeah, i tried liquid briefly and my scalp was pure white so stayed with the foam and while not as bad i still have it as you can see in the photo. 

18 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

Perhaps consider oral minoxidil 5 mg. Patients are reporting very positively.

I need to look up side effects of oral but its an idea ive meant to look into

On 11/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, Shifty said:

I do wash my hair every day. I leave the Keto shampoo in for 5 minutes. The non Keto shampoo for about 3 minutes. I always condition.

Is your daily shampoo still Phytoworx? Can you recommend a cheaper one? 

1 hour ago, Jallyn said:

Is your daily shampoo still Phytoworx? Can you recommend a cheaper one? 

Its is expensive =/ I still use it. I wouldnt now of a comparable. I do use Viviscal conditioner, maybe try their shampoo? I used to use it, just switched to photoworx. 

4 hours ago, Shifty said:

Its is expensive =/ I still use it. I wouldnt now of a comparable. I do use Viviscal conditioner, maybe try their shampoo? I used to use it, just switched to photoworx. 

Do you condition everyday as well?

11 hours ago, Jallyn said:

Do you condition everyday as well?

I do. I always keep a few of each product on hand  because they run out fast. 

On 11/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, Shifty said:

I need to look up side effects of oral but its an idea ive meant to look into

I was just at Shapiro Medical Group this week and Dr. Paul says oral is much more effective. He takes the oral himself and says if you don’t have any heart issues then that’s the route to go.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:47 AM, Shmiggy said:

I was just at Shapiro Medical Group this week and Dr. Paul says oral is much more effective. He takes the oral himself and says if you don’t have any heart issues then that’s the route to go.

Where can I get it? Obviously I can find out myself, but gotta make sure im not getting sawdust! Any other side effects besides heart attacks? lol

This is a side effect, and 80% is kind of scary! You basically become a wolf-man.

Dermatologic-Hypertrichosis-Elongation, thickening, and enhanced pigmentation of fine body hair are seen in about 80% of patients taking minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) tablets. This develops within 3 to 6 weeks after starting therapy. It is usually first noticed on the temples, between the eyebrows, between the hairline and the eyebrows, or in the side-burn area of the upper lateral cheek, later extending to the back, arms, legs, and scalp. Upon discontinuation of minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) , new hair growth stops, but 1 to 6 months may be required for restoration to pretreatment appearance. No endocrine abnormalities have been found to explain the abnormal hair growth; thus, it is hypertrichosis without virilism. Hair growth is especially disturbing to children and women and such patients should be thoroughly informed about this effect before therapy with minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) is begun. Allergic-Rashes have been reported, including rare reports of bullous eruptions, and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.