Growing hair back? - The Big 3 ++ Journey

On 12/30/2019 at 12:05 AM, Shmiggy said:

Looks real good. I’ve added minox foam to my regime and noticed some dry scalp. You use anything for that?

yeah I have it too. I have been using head and shoulder clinical strength some nights and nizoral once a week. it gets better then comes back its so annoying. I want to start taking oral minox because i cant take this any more. When I use the derma pen you can see where it all is because it ends up on the pen, 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update with some Minox in the hair and maybe a hat head, was wearing a baseball cap for some reason. Probably force of habit. 

I have a photo in this thread from November. where the top looks much thicker on the left side. Maybe a trick of the camera? I think maybe my crown went backward a little bit, =/ 

FOR ANYONE VIEWING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS WHOLE THREAD IS DEDICATED TO ME GROWING MY HAIR BACK W/O THE USE OF A TRANSPLANT. 

I need a hair cut desperately been 2 months. 

image.png.8c9377de68a74bcf098779ff27df0b2e.png

image.png.0dda6091552031ac96395d027468860b.png

On 1/19/2020 at 3:09 PM, Shifty said:

=/ My last haircut was shortly after the left pic. 

image.png.970b04848e1140ae41313c5217f96d1f.png

It still looks good and natural.  There may be phases of minor sheds but i think that’ll come and go.  Sometimes happens when you add something new to a regimen. Another factor is how hair is cut, if too much is cut there is not enough volume.  Again this still looks good and way more natural then a lot of restorations-  amazingly yours is all non surgical.  Definitely maintaining it well and didn’t have to get scarred in the process.  

Awesome so far man.  

most pics taken in the same exact spot in my bathroom so they are all comparable. I did add emu oil, a hair treatment and collagen to the regimen so maybe that effected it? 

Things are still progressing just at a snails pace...I'll never be happy i guess. 

So i was looking up PRP and where I can get it done near me, turns out there is a place in the building I just moved in to earlier this month. Kismet? lol 

15 hours ago, Shifty said:

most pics taken in the same exact spot in my bathroom so they are all comparable. I did add emu oil, a hair treatment and collagen to the regimen so maybe that effected it? 

Things are still progressing just at a snails pace...I'll never be happy i guess. 

In general, any oil for straight medium to finer hair will make it look thinner.  Best shampoos for these hair types in general are shampoos like nioxin system 1 and 2.  It amplifies the density after few uses.  Not too sure on the collagen but ive heard praise from some folks.  

bottom line is it looks good and natural.  

Not all prp prep may be the same though.  Ask them how they inject and how many ccs.  If you got any questions regarding prp process, maybe Dr Cooley can answer.  

thanks for keepin us updated

6 hours ago, Sean said:

In general, any oil for straight medium to finer hair will make it look thinner.  Best shampoos for these hair types in general are shampoos like nioxin system 1 and 2.  It amplifies the density after few uses.  Not too sure on the collagen but ive heard praise from some folks.  

bottom line is it looks good and natural.  

Not all prp prep may be the same though.  Ask them how they inject and how many ccs.  If you got any questions regarding prp process, maybe Dr Cooley can answer.  

thanks for keepin us updated

WTF i Nioxin lol Jesus do I have to add something else to my regimine??? There is only 24 hours in a day for crying out loud

As far as the oil, I add it before bed.  Typically when I go out w/o a hat I have none of the product I use for hair regrowth in my hair.

Ive been taking the new stuff for about a month or so (pumpkin seed oil vitamins as well) so we shall see if it makes any difference over the next few months, 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, Raphael84 said:

Perhaps consider oral minoxidil 5 mg. Patients are reporting very positively.

I hear since it’s a vasodilator it’s not good to take in orally. Also any proof of patients getting results?

On 11/15/2019 at 4:22 PM, Shifty said:

This is a side effect, and 80% is kind of scary! You basically become a wolf-man.

Dermatologic-Hypertrichosis-Elongation, thickening, and enhanced pigmentation of fine body hair are seen in about 80% of patients taking minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) tablets. This develops within 3 to 6 weeks after starting therapy. It is usually first noticed on the temples, between the eyebrows, between the hairline and the eyebrows, or in the side-burn area of the upper lateral cheek, later extending to the back, arms, legs, and scalp. Upon discontinuation of minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) , new hair growth stops, but 1 to 6 months may be required for restoration to pretreatment appearance. No endocrine abnormalities have been found to explain the abnormal hair growth; thus, it is hypertrichosis without virilism. Hair growth is especially disturbing to children and women and such patients should be thoroughly informed about this effect before therapy with minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil (minoxidil tablets) tablets) tablets) is begun. Allergic-Rashes have been reported, including rare reports of bullous eruptions, and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

“Between the hairline and the eyebrows” I’ve had this side effect and the hairs went away after stopping minoxidil.

i can clearly see in the image of your temples and eyebrow on page 10 you’ve got the same exact thing I had. The hair is noticeable and it looks like the temple it connected to your eyebrow.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:09 PM, Shifty said:

=/ My last haircut was shortly after the left pic. 

image.png.970b04848e1140ae41313c5217f96d1f.png

I still can't believe of your transformation just from meds...!

Btw my left side of mid scalp/crown is weaker as well and looks similar to yours. When I was brushing my hair it was looking exactly the same you have on January picture. I was hoping like 3 months ago it will improve (been on fin for 6 months), but now it's difficult to say as I just had my HT, hence why hair was shaved! 😄

p.s. Still amazing coverage and thickness! Extremely jealous!

• Thanks 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just snapped this pic. im quarantined so you know I'm not combing my head lol bed head all day. 

20200319_163006.jpg

• Moderators

Shifty, I'm not sure if you may have mentioned this.... I'm curious if others such as family, friends, and coworkers have noticed your improvements and if so, what have they said about it, especially if they didn't know you were doing anything.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

56 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Shifty, I'm not sure if you may have mentioned this.... I'm curious if others such as family, friends, and coworkers have noticed your improvements and if so, what have they said about it, especially if they didn't know you were doing anything.

Twice someone has said my hair looks great. I wear hats a lot, i did when I was younger and had a full head of hair as well. So when I started losing it I hid it a lot. 

No one probably even realized I was losing it really. Except when i panicked and tried a system. I was laughed at without ever telling anyone or them acknowledging they noticed it. 

• 3 weeks later...

No real change.  Just when I was getting to enjoy haircuts again BAM! Quarantine =/ 

1st pic November  2019

2nd pic April 2020

image.png.a5ca03e40fd9f9aa9f2d648d50f1f94d.png

image.png.e1fa90b47436ea2167288d7c49043a89.png

• Administrators

Still going strong, now would be the perfect time to get a hair transplant 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, Shifty said:

No real change.  Just when I was getting to enjoy haircuts again BAM! Quarantine =/ 

1st pic November  2019

2nd pic April 2020

image.png.a5ca03e40fd9f9aa9f2d648d50f1f94d.png

image.png.e1fa90b47436ea2167288d7c49043a89.png

Man oh man—-I am still amazed at how well its holding up.  Absolutely no need for transplant or risking that healthy hair or healthy scalp to damages.  In fact, this looks a lot more natural then a lot of transplants.  Very nice flowing and no scarred tissue.  Honestly, i am so happy your holding out so strong and the regimen is working for you.  You havent had any drastic noticeable shed.  At this point, it looks really good with a natural looking whorl.  Your continued updates are very valuable to folks in similar situations.  I point some folks with very minor hairloss changes to your thread and it has helped them all recover to the point they do not need surgery.  Some even recovered well enough that when they go to parties, they put on very very little nanogen fibers and they look like they have more hair than everyone else.  Thanks again for this!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sean said:

Man oh man—-I am still amazed at how well its holding up.  Absolutely no need for transplant or risking that healthy hair or healthy scalp to damages.  In fact, this looks a lot more natural then a lot of transplants.  Very nice flowing and no scarred tissue.  Honestly, i am so happy your holding out so strong and the regimen is working for you.  You havent had any drastic noticeable shed.  At this point, it looks really good with a natural looking whorl.  Your continued updates are very valuable to folks in similar situations.  I point some folks with very minor hairloss changes to your thread and it has helped them all recover to the point they do not need surgery.  Some even recovered well enough that when they go to parties, they put on very very little nanogen fibers and they look like they have more hair than everyone else.  Thanks again for this!

This makes me feel great. Just very happy it has helped others because I wasn't expecting that. The front is still growing so I am just going to continue doing what I've been doing  and see how this progresses moving forward. 

Strange times we are living in but I believe we will all be stronger and better for it.       Wishing you all a happy and healthy Easter.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Shmiggy said:

I was just at Shapiro Medical Group this week and Dr. Paul says oral is much more effective. He takes the oral himself and says if you don’t have any heart issues then that’s the route to go.

Can confirm.
I used liquid and got very good results but oral...oral is outstanding!
no sides at all but, during the last 2 weeks, I've puffy eyes!

21 hours ago, duchaine said:

Can confirm.

I would say puffy eyes is a side. Any documentation of the difference between topical and oral?

21 hours ago, duchaine said:

Can confirm.

Where did you get your oral tablet from?

I tried to get as close and clear as possible. Just rogaine and a brush through. Not sure if you can see but new hairs still sprouting. 

image.thumb.png.15e533710e1043155189d928416058f2.png

• Like 1