FUE Experience w/Dr. Diep MHTA Clinic

6 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

@jimcraig152

Sorry not trying to be pushy, but a picture of the front can’t be that hard to take. There’s only side shots. Totally understand about the donor.

Actually, it is a bit of a chore. My phone's charging port is dead, so I can't easily download pics from my phone. But I've posted a pic from the front with the last update. Things are pretty much the same since with the exception of the hair being longer. Like I said then and as I said earlier, I feel I do look better than before the surgery and things look better from the front. I'll post more pics after the haircut.

6 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Btw what product are you using? It makes your hair look really thick. 

Can't recall exactly what was in there when I took those pics. Hadn't planned on taking pics that day to update this thread until I saw @hybonix's reply. Been experimenting with different stuff with my new hair, so it is either:

• Layrite Supershine Medium Hold Cream, or
  • Layright Mediumshine Medium Hold Pomade, or
  • Axe Highshine Medium Hold Pomade, or
  • Some Walmart brand pomade

Perhaps there was some Extra Firm Hold Tresseme spritz hair spray in there as well. I am going to dabble with hair tonic next. I feel pomade and cream is too heavy for me. I've always just used hair spray.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MagnificentAl said:

@jimcraig152gutted for you. Seems like you have really a similar hair type to myself. Hopefully, things improve more from now until the 12th month.

Thanks man. It isn't a disaster and I'll do something about it. Just waiting out the 12 months.

You on the other hand look great! I feel square inch by square inch, the bald areas you had filled in by Dr. Konior was equal to mine (if not greater?). Just amazes me how he was able to pull off the density with 500-600 less grafts compared to my procedure. Such judicious use of finite donor supply. Congratz brother!

@jimcraig152 Sorry to hear about your experience. Any sane person could tell from the very beginning that your concerns about the transplant were very legitimate. Honestly, the constant assertion that a transplant patient "must" wait 12 months to air their concerns is outright b*llsh*t. You can tell a bad transplant clearly even in the early phase. 
Despite your legit concerns you received unnecessary flak here.  

Anywho, I really hope you are able to get an awesome repair with a top notch surgeon. Good luck! 

Edited by tressful11
  • Like 1

Diep got you fantastic density, but the placement is less than ideal when consulting with other top surgeons. I relayed some information regarding Diep's "perspective" on the cornrow placement, and I was told that this is completely false and irregularities are just as important to achieve a natural look so that people cannot tell you had a transplant.

I would advise going to Shapiro, Konior, H&W, Cooley, and/or Gabel for your repair and for them to fill in those areas. Also, not sure why they placed multi-grafts in the hairline... So odd.

• Like 2

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

Here are shots of the front and of the hairline. All pics taken after a shower, blown dry, then hairspray spritzed on to make my hair stand off my forehead to reveal the hairline, which I feel is too straight.

All the zig zags grew in as you can see when compared to the early post op pics. I feel it doesn't do anything to break up the grafts being placed in linear fashion next to each other:

ZigZags.jpg.752a45ca10aebe3363100f4dc94d8bfc.jpg

IMG_3632.thumb.jpg.04c5e2cbb63b1f6cd3d1a4dc345bb5a8.jpg

IMG_3633.thumb.jpg.3c60c6211b6fc16ecae4f8d5886513b4.jpg

What do you guys think? Too straight or no?

I continue think Jim's hair is looking really good and he is looking 10x better now than before. When I compared my 6 month progress now with his photos after six months, I feel he was looking so much better. Maybe my expectation is low but good enough is what I have been shooting for.

I also think most of everything in life can easily pick apart with extreme close up photos. I don't think any normal person will look at another human being hair this closely and try to figure out why there are multi-grafts on the hairline.

Anyway, I may change my mind down the road but I am quite satisfy with my results with Diep so far after 6 months. I have done my research on many surgeons including the "popular" one being mentioned in this thread here. I see both good and not so good results in all. No matter how much money or what med we take. The father time + genetic have already won the hair battle. We are just playing catch up to create some the illusion of having hair up top.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WS2020 said:

I continue think Jim's hair is looking really good and he is looking 10x better now than before. When I compared my 6 month progress now with his photos after six months, I feel he was looking so much better. Maybe my expectation is low but good enough is what I have been shooting for.

I also think most of everything in life can easily pick apart with extreme close up photos. I don't think any normal person will look at another human being hair this closely and try to figure out why there are multi-grafts on the hairline.

Anyway, I may change my mind down the road but I am quite satisfy with my results with Diep so far after 6 months. I have done my research on many surgeons including the "popular" one being mentioned in this thread here. I see both good and not so good results in all. No matter how much money or what med we take. The father time + genetic have already won the hair battle. We are just playing catch up to create some the illusion of having hair up top.

I agree I don’t see any issues with his hair at all it looks freakin thick as hell I’d trade him anyday only nitpick i can see is the hair is a little thinner on left side. 

I 100% agree that normal people will not look closely. I just think Diep could be an even better surgeon if he follows the natural disorder of graft placements so if there are "thinner" areas, then it won't be as noticeable. This is still a really good result and Diep is able to get great density. However, top surgeons should perfect both graft placement in the scalp and hairline, especially with the price Diep charges.

Edited by hybonix

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

• Administrators

These pictures say it all IMO.

Jim, I’m sorry you’re not happy with these results. I hope you can find some happiness. Best of luck to you.

5CBE07F2-D7F6-4AD1-8376-78E349B6C15D.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I see both Melvin and Jim’s arguments in those pics.  For sure there was a massive improvement from prior state and the density looks fine but the hairline really is just too damn straight and grafts are in cornrows so it just doesn’t look as natural as it should from a top doctor.  

It should be a very easy fix for someone like Konior though it will certainly add to the total cost. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

These pictures say it all IMO.

Jim, I’m sorry you’re not happy with these results. I hope you can find some happiness. Best of luck to you.

5CBE07F2-D7F6-4AD1-8376-78E349B6C15D.jpeg

@Melvin-Moderator I feel this comment is inappropriate. It is dismissive of Jim's feelings and also you seem to be implying that Jim has some sort of mental illness.

You've made it very clear that you have a different opinion on what is aesthetic. You like straight, sharp, and dense hairlines. Hairlines aren't like that in nature. They always have vellus hairs in them with subtle asymmetry that make them unique to the person, like a fingerprint. This hairline is not natural, has no such irregularities or asymmetry, and therefore Jim doesn't find it aesthetic. Simple as that. His opinion on his hairline needs to be acknowledged. You don't need to question his mental health.

Jim, your feelings are valid and honestly I would feel the same way. However, once you get the hairline softened up with a second pass I think you'll be good to go. Best of luck, friend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

The yield looks to have been decent , but it’s a poor hairline design.

Pluggy in appearance, and grafts have been planted in uniform rows, which creates the dolls hair appearance along with multi’s being used in the frontal line. 

The good news is that you seem to have yielded well, you have a great hair calibre, and it’s a pretty easy fix in the right surgeons hands - throw in a few soft singles and even making use of nape hair in and around your hairline, hopefully you won’t even have to worry about having grafts punched out and re-implanted. 

Have a look at the De Freitas and Bisanga hairline cases on the forum, and you will see the difference between this result, and a natural, refined result. 

Anyone who tells you this is a satisfactory result in 2021 is just not being straight with you. 

• Like 6

• Administrators
6 hours ago, ShadowMoon said:

@Melvin-Moderator I feel this comment is inappropriate. It is dismissive of Jim's feelings and also you seem to be implying that Jim has some sort of mental illness.

You've made it very clear that you have a different opinion on what is aesthetic. You like straight, sharp, and dense hairlines. Hairlines aren't like that in nature. They always have vellus hairs in them with subtle asymmetry that make them unique to the person, like a fingerprint. This hairline is not natural, has no such irregularities or asymmetry, and therefore Jim doesn't find it aesthetic. Simple as that. His opinion on his hairline needs to be acknowledged. You don't need to question his mental health.

Jim, your feelings are valid and honestly I would feel the same way. However, once you get the hairline softened up with a second pass I think you'll be good to go. Best of luck, friend. 

First of all, I said the pictures say it all. Whether you think its good or bad, that’s a matter of opinion, hence why they say it all. None of what I wrote mentions anything related to mental disorders. The fact that you would try and make it seem that way is ridiculous. 

“I’m sorry you’re not happy with these results. I hope you can find some happiness. Best of luck to you.” I stand by that, I hope he can find some happiness and I wish him luck. None of what I wrote is untrue or implies anything other than what I wrote. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Let the pictures do the talking; 

4x patient posted hairline results from Reddy, Bisanga, De Freitas and Diep. 

All 4x experienced, and recommended surgeons - I imagine Diep to be the most expensive. 

Is there one that stands out as looking unnatural? 

If so, that’s why I believe it to be unsatisfactory to experience a result as such in 2021. 

A3BA54DB-EC79-4819-8B35-7DB617D5CD11.png

AB3F70CE-810E-4254-A291-9B947A956E63.jpeg

5F40C648-6442-4FFB-91B2-7BDA6261E98D.jpeg

04E4655E-08BB-4654-A402-E97D77362D67.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s not the worst result in the world by any stretch of the imagination. The yield looks to have been sound. But it 100% needs to softened and tweaked around to dissemble the uniformed lines of transplanted grafts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Let the pictures do the talking; 

4x patient posted hairline results from Reddy, Bisanga, De Freitas and Diep. 

All 4x experienced, and recommended surgeons - I imagine Diep to be the most expensive. 

Is there one that stands out as looking unnatural? 

If so, that’s why I believe it to be unsatisfactory to experience a result as such in 2021. 

A3BA54DB-EC79-4819-8B35-7DB617D5CD11.png

AB3F70CE-810E-4254-A291-9B947A956E63.jpeg

5F40C648-6442-4FFB-91B2-7BDA6261E98D.jpeg

04E4655E-08BB-4654-A402-E97D77362D67.jpeg

100% agree with this, no offense to Jim and it should be easy fix but it is not comparable to the other three.  Add in the fact that Diep is basically the same cost as Konior and the lazy cornrow implants are just not acceptable in my view.  

• Like 7

I mean no disrespect to OP in anyway either - like I say, there are far worse results, and overall it’s not a ‘bad’ result per say . . . However it is not satisfactory IMO considering the price he has most likely paid, and other users on here should not brush off his concerns, because they are very well warranted in this case. 

It’s a great forum, but the politics on here mustn’t let patients such as OP down. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/20/2021 at 9:03 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

First of all, I said the pictures say it all. Whether you think its good or bad, that’s a matter of opinion, hence why they say it all. None of what I wrote mentions anything related to mental disorders. The fact that you would try and make it seem that way is ridiculous. 

“I’m sorry you’re not happy with these results. I hope you can find some happiness. Best of luck to you.” I stand by that, I hope he can find some happiness and I wish him luck. None of what I wrote is untrue or implies anything other than what I wrote. 

Curious as to what's your opinion - do you think it looks good or bad? I think a straightforward answer from an experienced viewer of HTs would add value. 

Personally it sort of looks like mine...not so natural but yield was good and got the job done. A general observer would only notice a good head of hair. However, if you're paying top dollar, I would've expected better or direct communication from Diep to the patient on expectations. 

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jim, I'm a prospective hair transplant patient (considering FUT between Diep and Bloxham currently) and wanted to say a few things:

• Your well documented post has been great. Really appreciated from someone anxious about the process like myself.
  • I appreciate your candor and your openness to critique Diep, who on other social forums typically enjoys unanimous praise 
  • This whole post reminds me to be diligent with my research and of course, Caveat Emptor

All that being said, your result looks fantastic. You have better hair than I did as a 15 year old. I agree that the hairline  looks a little artificial (with its straightness) and you wanted a more natural/imperfect hairline. However, I just feel 99% of people would not notice it and again, your hair looks damn great. If I got that result, I'd be a happy customer.

If you have any posts or anecdotes you want to share about Diep's FUT scars and results, I would love to read through it. As of this time, while I was initially very excited about Diep, I am now more cautious with my optimism. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 11:13 PM, ShadowMoon said:

I tend to agree.

I appreciate all the help Melvin gives to this forum, but sometimes he is just plain stubborn.

Anyone can see that Jim’s hair was planted in a cornrow fashion. His hair looks “good” despite Dieps work, not because of him. I think Jim has good genetics and his hair would look amazing if it wasn’t planted cornrow style.

Ive noticed there is a lot of defending of Diep by influential people here. I had a negative pre-surgery experience with Diep’s team and Melvin literally locked the thread instead of letting it go on. 

• Like 2