FUE Experience w/Dr. Diep MHTA Clinic

7 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

I think these results are insane I believe it’s barely been 6 months too. Eating some of your words in the earlier posts. 

To be fair, I don't think Jim ever doubted the growth? He was more concerned about the placement pattern, the extraction location, and the large punch size.

I think we can all admit that Diep tends to get great growth. I wonder if it's something about his technique... Maybe the larger punch size allows for better survival of the grafts? Maybe the placement pattern actually results in greater survival?

• Like 1

Wow, great yield you got there @jimcraig152!!! The density is impressive. The rows can easily be remedied in round 2.  For the time being, a little dermmatch will help camouflage them.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey Jim, Thanks for the update! 

On your first post you mentioned that you thought your donor area was shot and that this would be a one time deal. Do you still feel this is the case after the healing, or do you feel like there will still be grafts for the future?

Did you pay extra fpr the Acell?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

To be fair, I don't think Jim ever doubted the growth? He was more concerned about the placement pattern, the extraction location, and the large punch size.

I think we can all admit that Diep tends to get great growth. I wonder if it's something about his technique... Maybe the larger punch size allows for better survival of the grafts? Maybe the placement pattern actually results in greater survival?

Let’s be honest, this result is probably one of the better ones I’ve seen on this site. In his first posts he was acting like he got botched.

image.jpeg.bb898267b48114eff4825e6ecca0bfd1.jpegThis aint botched like I said eating his words. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Let’s be honest, this result is probably one of the better ones I’ve seen on this site. In his first posts he was acting like he got botched.

image.jpeg.bb898267b48114eff4825e6ecca0bfd1.jpegThis aint botched like I said eating his words. 

So you're just going to ignore the glaring issues Jim and I mentioned above which could have been easily avoided.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

So you're just going to ignore the glaring issues Jim and I mentioned above which could have been easily avoided.

Nitpicking imperfections and getting completely botched are two different things. Acting like you’ve been disfigured in the beginning and ending up looking like he does is a glaring exaggeration. Anyway I really don’t give a shit. I’m just giving my 0.2 cents, I don’t know this guy I don’t have to protect him or his feelings. 

2 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Nitpicking imperfections and getting completely botched are two different things. Acting like you’ve been disfigured in the beginning and ending up looking like he does is a glaring exaggeration. Anyway I really don’t give a shit. I’m just giving my 0.2 cents, I don’t know this guy I don’t have to protect him or his feelings. 

Alright dude. You joined the forum 10 days ago asking about FUE vs DHI vs FUT. How about you spend some more time learning about what makes a good HT before you try to tell people how they should feel about their overall results?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Alright dude. You joined the forum 10 days ago asking about FUE vs DHI vs FUT. How about you spend some more time learning about what makes a good HT before you try to tell people how they should feel about their overall results?

Lol okay, my join date doesn’t have anything to do with my eyesight. I’m entitled to my own opinion, I don’t have to kiss OPs ass or tell em he’s right to make him feel better. Btw, if you’re such an expert, you’d see this isn’t the final result, it’s barely 6 months. Signing off this thread cause I really don’t care. 

4 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Lol okay, my join date doesn’t have anything to do with my eyesight. I’m entitled to my own opinion, I don’t have to kiss OPs ass or tell em he’s right to make him feel better. Btw, if you’re such an expert, you’d see this isn’t the final result, it’s barely 6 months. Signing off this thread cause I really don’t care. 

Oh yeah, because the problems OP has with his procedure (extraction pattern/punch size, implantation pattern) are going to fix themselves with more time. Seems legit.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:50 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Glad to see I was right about you getting good results. Keep in mind, this isn’t done refining or growing. See below thread for reference. Whenever someone freaks out the first week, this thread will be a good reference. 0383C841-F51E-4D6C-98B9-50CCA049EBE2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Oh yeah, because the problems OP has with his procedure (extraction pattern/punch size, implantation pattern) are going to fix themselves with more time. Seems legit.

See post above Mr. Forum Expert

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:50 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Glad to see I was right about you getting good results. Keep in mind, this isn’t done refining or growing. See below thread for reference. Whenever someone freaks out the first week, this thread will be a good reference. 0383C841-F51E-4D6C-98B9-50CCA049EBE2.jpeg

It looks great after about 7 months. It is still 5 months to go. Frankly, I feel Jim is paying closer attention to the imperfections than the how good he looks overall. It is a shame because I will be super cited if my results come out like his.

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 1

Why such polarizing stances and opinions? It's not that HTs are either perfect or botched - there's a lot of nuances.

Jim explained the issues he has with the procedure and they are very legit. We have to exist before the 1-year mark so unless some of these params like cornrow placement or punch size are needed to guarantee the best possible outcome (which is not the case) patients should have the right to ask for better.

• Like 4

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, hybonix said:

@jimcraig152Any updates? You are at the 9 month 11 day mark. I would love to see where you are at today.

No positive changes. Issues with the procedure are more prominent now:

• Hairline is straight as an arrow and pluggy has heck
  • Multi-hair grafts galore in the hairline (zoom in and see for yourself)
  • Rows placement of grafts looks like a hair weave and are even more prominent now that hair is longer

Hair is just longer. No new grafts sprouted. Hair hasn't noticeably thickened or was in need of refinement. The grafts didn't grow out kinky at all. Though, I do look better than before the surgery, I am resigned that I have to get a repair. At this point, I don't see any improvement in store in the the few weeks left. In passing social circumstances, the procedure looks ok. And so, that is the grade I would give the procedure at this point; a passing score of a D. In close group settings, the issues with the procedure are noticeable and a Iady friend I know called out something weird about my hair on the right side. Pretty mortifying. I'll get a hair cut this week and post donor pics.

I took lots of pics with styling product in it at different angles and lighting, so you guys can come to your own conclusions.

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

• Thanks 1

Sorry you are having to go through this @jimcraig152. When going with a top rated surgeon and paying top price you would expect quality results. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case and some of your concerns from immediately after the procedure are coming to fruition. Of course, it's imperative to wait for full growth around 12 months but those of us who have been in the game awhile can usually see from immediate post op pictures how the result will pan out. Sometimes Dr Diep has everything line up in his favor and he knocks it out of the park. Sometimes, his decisions, for whatever the reason, lead to noticeable issues in the final results. To take some positivity from your situation you have not been botched and your result can be improved upon with relative ease. Some density and refinement with fine singles in front of the pluggy rows will camoflouge his work and give you a more natural result. Keep your head up and remember it does take most of us multiple surgeries to get where we want to be. 

• Like 6

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. I don't think it'll be too difficult to repair the issues you've mentioned though. Are you thinking of planning a repair anytime soon?

Random question - some grafts were implanted into a mole on your scalp, right? Did they all grow normally?

aside from the points you made, are you happy with the density?

I'm just crossing the 6 month mark myself, and I know that I am far from a final result, but I'm having a hard time coming to terms with whether I'm pleased with the result so far or not.

thanks for the update regardless. it really helps the community 

I know what it's like to feel not so great after round 1, but it does look like you got incredible yield.  Not all is lost.  I also had pitting with my first HT, but it does eventually settle down.  The rows are inexcusable, but will be easily hidden with one more pass in that area.  Keep your head up and think longterm. 

Edit* I also had multi's in the hairline.  The punch outs healed so well that they left no trace.

Edited by aaron1234
  • Like 1

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Just now, qui bono said:

who did your punch outs?

Dr. Paul Shapiro.  Honestly no scars from them. 

I don't think I got botched or butchered either. I never questioned growth or eventual yield (as stated here and here). The application of techniques diminishing the desired aesthetic result is what concerned me. Those concerns were not without merit. I would have loved to have eaten crow. But I am definitely am in need of a repair. Not going to spend the rest of my life fretting this; I am not fretting now. I have always just been honest with my journey.

@BDK081522, I am giving it the full 12 months. More grafts might sprout (doubtful though) and the hair might thicken further. But what I really needs is for the grafts to rearrange themselves in random natural order; that's not happening. I am just going to require a repair job.

@giegnosiganoe, yield was high in all areas. Even the grafts planted into the mole.

@RandoBrando517, I mentioned I do feel I look better before the surgery. Taking pictures of your donor is a hard thing to do on your own. Wait till you have you have your procedure scheduled and you start taking pics and you'll see what I mean. I have had 2 or 3 professional haircuts since around Thanksgiving. Before then, salons were closed and I was cutting my own hair. I had bought a selfie stick to take pics of the back of my head. I misplaced it and haven't taken pics of the donor since. Once I find it, I'll get a hair cut and post donor pics. Hopefully, that will be later this week.

@hairlossPA, even on the right side where density it is low, I feel yield and density meets the criteria to pull off the illusion with my procedure (from a certain distance). I've been following your procedure closely; you look good. I bet you are able to go out comfortably without head wear these days. When my hair was that short, I had a beanie on at all times because the rows looked really unnatural; made the ugly duckling stage that much more unbearable. Some guys are just on different schedules. I was an early grower which is probably atypical. I feel you are right on schedule which is normal. You're hair looks like where I was at 2.5-3 months with lots of vellus hairs sprouting.

@aaron1234, pitting/cobblestoning isn't something I am concerned about. Don't give me a complex man, LoLoLoL!! I am wondering though if the multi-hairs will need to get punched out or if the hairline it needs to be lowered to camouflage them out. I guess I'll find out when I discuss things with my next surgeon. In any case, the multi-hairs would probably be something I could live with and not require a repair procedure if it were not for the unnaturalness that I've called out.

@qui bono, always good to see you around sir. Thanks for the support!

Edited by jimcraig152