Melvin-Moderator

Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

Anecdote from today at work : I'm 5 weeks post op, shed maybe 30/40% maybe. Big red head, ugly duck hairs poking straight up everywhere. Colleagues know about HT. One of them who is NW7(more NW34) asks me if I'm happy with it. I say it's early days so need to see. His reply "But it looks like a full head of hair now, you wouldn't notice a thing wrong with it, I'd be thrilled". Other colleagues agree are are already impressed with density. I know it's 5 weeks in and looks terrible. Shows you the difference of experienced eye and what everyone else see's. Your illusion is an illusion to you only.

2 hours ago, gbhscot said:

Anecdote from today at work : I'm 5 weeks post op, shed maybe 30/40% maybe. Big red head, ugly duck hairs poking straight up everywhere. Colleagues know about HT. One of them who is NW7(more NW34) asks me if I'm happy with it. I say it's early days so need to see. His reply "But it looks like a full head of hair now, you wouldn't notice a thing wrong with it, I'd be thrilled". Other colleagues agree are are already impressed with density. I know it's 5 weeks in and looks terrible. Shows you the difference of experienced eye and what everyone else see's. Your illusion is an illusion to you only.

Did you update your thread ?

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

21 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

My entire head has that appearance if it’s wet under direct light. That said, it doesn’t have a thinning appearance when its dry. As shown in the picture above. 

I chose the worst possible angle and lighting to prove a point. If you want your HT to look bad you can definitely do it. 

Kind of off topic but how did you clear up your acne? I remember back in the day you used to have some but now ur skin is as clear as ever?

9 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

Kind of off topic but how did you clear up your acne? I remember back in the day you used to have some but now ur skin is as clear as ever?

Nothing tbh I used to get alot of acne on my forehead. But I think that was due to wearing hats to the gym and sweating. I stopped doing that and no more zits lol. Never really had acne anywhere else besides my forehead.

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Nothing tbh I used to get alot of acne on my forehead. But I think that was due to wearing hats to the gym and sweating. I stopped doing that and no more zits lol. Never really had acne anywhere else besides my forehead.

Oh I totally got the same when I was wearing a hat all the time in the gym too shortly after my operation. Probably all the sweat feeding the bacteria

12 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

Oh I totally got the same when I was wearing a hat all the time in the gym too shortly after my operation. Probably all the sweat feeding the bacteria

Yea that’s definitely it, I don’t even use face wash. Regular old soap from the shower does the job. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, BeHappy said:

Great video, Melvin. Most men going for hair transplants have a tendency to compare themselves to others and while that's understandable and fine, you also have to compare yourself to the previous you. Take a look at Melvin's pre transplant NW 6 pictures and compare that to his hair now. Which hair would you like to have if those were your choices? I'm sure Melvin would like to have thicker hair, but what he has now is so much better than where he was a few years ago. Nobody is going to look at him today and call him the bald guy.

Could not agree more with you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

Posted (edited)

Did you or anyone else find the front hairs coming in more slowly? DH has salt and pepper hair, and the ones in the front( mostly on one side) about 1/4 inch deep, look fairly sparse. You can see more skin than compared to the other side. He is 7.5 months FUT, so we keep thinking more will pop out over the next few months.

when he’s outside and the sun is behind him, you can really see his scalp throughout looking straight on. Did anyone else have this issue? I’m thinking it must be because those hairs closest to his scalp are the thinnest and lots of white. 

Edited by Helper

I decided to pin this topic. Frankly, this thread needs to be seen. It can stop unrealistic patients from having a procedure and being disappointed, even help some patients change their outlook and perception. 

• Like 1

Good call. I actually think the comparison between the video and the still is a great contrast. I hardly gave the scalp appearance in poor conditions a second thought on video because it was only evident for half a second, unlike the image which was obviously capturing that least flattering instant.

43 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Good call. I actually think the comparison between the video and the still is a great contrast. I hardly gave the scalp appearance in poor conditions a second thought on video because it was only evident for half a second, unlike the image which was obviously capturing that least flattering instant.

Yea,

I realize I probably should’ve been still in the video. That said, I’m putting this comparison just to show how vastly different my hair appears when it’s dry. The difference is night and day. 

These things matter when you have a hair transplant, you cant expect to have native density. Unfortunately, some guys didn’t realize this before having procedures, so hopefully this thread helps a lot of guys out there.

D19937D8-A8BA-4E35-9938-2C4B5CA70ED9.jpeg

• Like 1