Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

?...😉

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...

Hey @Melvin-Moderator,

I was looking at the article you posted on your website: 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/what-does-the-illusion-of-density-mean-for-hair-transplants-/3275

and was wondering what exactly this '"layering and feathering" would look like. 

Would there happen to be any examples of layered/feathered hairstyles or unlayered/unfeathered ones just to illustrate your point?

I had my HT 2 years ago and wore a hair system the entire time it was growing in.

Just got rid of the system on Sunday and am sharing the photos of my pre-op, immediate post-op and current state.

My hair at this current moment is somewhere around a #3 or #4 cut, and I'm really hoping you could shed some light on what kind of hairstyles I should consider/avoid when it grows longer in the coming months. 

Regards,

Sean

P.S. I actually used DermMatch to darken the temple points and mid-scalp in the photo showing the current state of my hair. I must say DermMatch really blows Toppik out of the water with it being waterproof and also the amount of control it gives you over which parts of your scalp you want to thicken up. Also, I accidentally shaved a part of my eyebrow if anyone was wondering.

PreOp.jpg

ImmediatePostOp.jpg

Current.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sure is a nice result!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, Leftwithrope said:

Hey @Melvin-Moderator,

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/what-does-the-illusion-of-density-mean-for-hair-transplants-/3275

Would there happen to be any examples of layered/feathered hairstyles or unlayered/unfeathered ones just to illustrate your point?

I had my HT 2 years ago and wore a hair system the entire time it was growing in.

Just got rid of the system on Sunday and am sharing the photos of my pre-op, immediate post-op and current state.

My hair at this current moment is somewhere around a #3 or #4 cut, and I'm really hoping you could shed some light on what kind of hairstyles I should consider/avoid when it grows longer in the coming months. 

Regards,

Sean

P.S. I actually used DermMatch to darken the temple points and mid-scalp in the photo showing the current state of my hair. I must say DermMatch really blows Toppik out of the water with it being waterproof and also the amount of control it gives you over which parts of your scalp you want to thicken up. Also, I accidentally shaved a part of my eyebrow if anyone was wondering.

PreOp.jpg

ImmediatePostOp.jpg

Current.jpg

What a change!!! Really really good... how is the donor area looking? Any ourdoor photos?

Thanks for sharing ; )

• Administrators

Looks fantastic man, who was the surgeon?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, Leftwithrope said:

Hey @Melvin-Moderator,

Regards,

Sean

PreOp.jpg

ImmediatePostOp.jpg

Current.jpg

Amazing... fantastic results...

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I agree!

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

The dermatch is helping alot!

Gillenator

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late response. Have been busy with my new job.

I had my surgery done at an Indian clinic that is locally renowned. 

The doctor is skilled with using high-powered microscopes to do his work and that's about all I can tell you.

Regards,

Sean

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Leftwithrope said:

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late response. Have been busy with my new job.

I had my surgery done at an Indian clinic that is locally renowned. 

The doctor is skilled with using high-powered microscopes to do his work and that's about all I can tell you.

Regards,

Sean

Please create a separate thread, so we can all follow your progress.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

A separate thread is the best way to go to follow any individual's progress.

That helps to keep the original intent on course.

Gillenator

On 10/26/2018 at 8:11 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I use Caboki all the time in the crown. In fact, it makes my hair look like a 10.  I can certainly live with needing to use hair fibers to make my hair look perfect. This is how I looked before, I keep these pictures as a reminder.

C61B135F-ECC4-4670-B329-C85EF47E612C.jpeg

How many grafts did you have and are you using any medications ?

you donor area and hair thickness looks average in this photo !

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Seniormido said:

How many grafts did you have and are you using any medications ?

you donor area and hair thickness looks average in this photo !

5,300 grafts, minoxidil. My hair is on the thicker side, my donor density is average.

View my thread

What about low dose finasteride?

Gillenator

This guy on YouTube has had two procedures just to lower his hairline. Now this was his 12 month update from his second procedure. I believe when the light is above you and in front of you a true indication of where you stand on density. Usually in his videos you would think his hair is soo thick. But here you can clearly see the space between grafts. Not bad though. Any thoughts??198D3C70-FFA7-4163-9C3C-D5BB7DAE2D6E.thumb.jpeg.3f10aa0d262060018f72a427541dbdd3.jpegBD619C07-C633-4543-87CC-E9AB2D25C33E.thumb.jpeg.26b0bcf32812c77bd3550bd6d2a0bea0.jpegE7D9B55E-C659-48A3-ABD0-853E2EDBAD7E.thumb.jpeg.d8cbec6a8472fe057c32ac238d8681f6.jpeg1A35BD79-50A3-4783-BB88-F271AD75223F.thumb.png.9c1df919a75625f6aa30ebd93a0266c0.png

94B51A8B-CCAA-4112-9BB1-58DC86AB8B00.png

14200C5A-F6A8-4B72-9FB1-89171BED881E.png

54351DAA-779E-4B38-A874-AAA05C847743.png

This guy has the "see through" effect pretty regularly. He spent 3,200 grafts to get it to this location, give or take. His first procedure was around 1,700 and basically put his hairline back where it was before the minor recession he was experiencing. The work was fine. Nothing spectacular, but fine. Then he lowered it below his natural norwood 1 hairline by a noticeable amount with another 1,800. That's a pretty large area of barren, no native hair scalp, and if you consider that he's wearing his hair up it's no wonder it looks sparse.

If he was going to use that many grafts in the hairline he would have been better served adding more density to his restored natural hairline placement. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

This guy has the "see through" effect pretty regularly. He spent 3,200 grafts to get it to this location, give or take. His first procedure was around 1,700 and basically put his hairline back where it was before the minor recession he was experiencing. The work was fine. Nothing spectacular, but fine. Then he lowered it below his natural norwood 1 hairline by a noticeable amount with another 1,800. That's a pretty large area of barren, no native hair scalp, and if you consider that he's wearing his hair up it's no wonder it looks sparse.

If he was going to use that many grafts in the hairline he would have been better served adding more density to his restored natural hairline placement. 

My thoughts exactly! He should have used those grafts to make his first pass more dense. People that never had a procedure don’t realize how much light affects your results. He might say in his videos how dense his hair is but I think I would rather have a denser Norwood 2 than a sparse Norwood 1. 

• Like 3

Just now, Guy73 said:

My thoughts exactly! He should have used those grafts to make his first pass more dense. People that never had a procedure don’t realize how much light affects your results. He might say in his videos how dense his hair is but I think I would rather have a denser Norwood 2 than a sparse Norwood 1. 

Agreed 100%

I like the shape of most Norwood 2 hairlines, and generally only take issue with the fact that they generally have that diffused, thin look.

3 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Agreed 100%

I like the shape of most Norwood 2 hairlines, and generally only take issue with the fact that they generally have that diffused, thin look.

HelL, I’d rather have a dense NW 3 than a sparse NW 1

• Like 2

the skill to construct a completely artificial lower hairline is too much for most non-elite doctors. 

Its common for doctors to underestimate the grafts needed, or, they may know the appropriate grafts needed, but put less in there the 1st go around for optimal growth (requiring multiple surgeries)

plus, as we all already know, a lower hairline looks ridiculous once you reach a certain age. Everyone will think you are bald and wearing a wig, when really its the artificial hairline lol.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:41 PM, JohnAC71 said:

This is screaming hair transplant ! This would draw anybody eyes to your hair. I echo the above... give yourself a decent higher Norwood.

+10000 Totally agree with you John. It´s sooo obvious he had something done up there and it does not look good at all. I´´m sure he will end up doing a touch-up.

As you guys are saying, better a dense NW III than what he did.. 😔

On 12/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, Guy73 said:

But you know to be fair hairliciously would benefit to looking much better and denser if he grows his hair like I have seen him in his other videos.

But its crazy too because almost 3 years ago he had denser hair than he does now. Here is pic of him in mar 2018 which clearly shows him with denser hair and it looks good on him:

dd.png.6536a1eb8685ac33e5e2f8e6e20f2aeb.png