Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

23 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Couto's geographical location does mean that the bulk of the patients he sees are going to have those nice Spaniard hair characteristics, and those go a long way. It's generally more indicative of a doctor's ability to see what they're able to do for patients with less than ideal hair characteristics.

What you mean by geo location? Dr. Couto operates patients from all over the world and not just the type of Spanish hair as you say. Just visit their YouTube channel, which by the way has more than 30,000 FOLLOWERS, and you can see different types of hair: straight, wavy, gray ... you can read the details on the video descriptions.

And if what you say were true, why no other doctor in the world achieves such great results as Couto´s?

As I said, just go to Youtube and type: FUExpert Clinic

This case is taken from a link of y another Couto Thread. I rest my case here: If you think this is natural density, there is no need for further discussion. Actually, I think the hairline is not even greatly designed. 

https://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73683&start=255

I am not saying it is a poor result, but we have seen this or even better from many clinics. And the same thread or with same easy use of google you can find much more cases like this and even worse. There is no magic and no HT dr is a wizard. 

Edited by Gasthoerer

4 hours ago, OliverAtom said:

What you mean by geo location? Dr. Couto operates patients from all over the world and not just the type of Spanish hair as you say. Just visit their YouTube channel, which by the way has more than 30,000 FOLLOWERS, and you can see different types of hair: straight, wavy, gray ... you can read the details on the video descriptions.

And if what you say were true, why no other doctor in the world achieves such great results as Couto´s?

As I said, just go to Youtube and type: FUExpert Clinic

I've seen plenty of results from his channel, and it's the entire basis of my comment.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:36 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think a new video is in order, because obviously this message is falling on deaf ears.

Thanks Melvin!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 1/22/2020 at 9:07 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Are you just trolling? I suggest you behave civil if you want to remain part of this community. If your willing to buy the hype, that is your problem, not ours. But I will not have you behaving like a troll. 

@Melvin-Moderator this guy has been trolling on HRN insulting members and spreading his ignorance on a level that is outright xenophobic and thus unacceptable.
In the thread below he insulted my language which he claims be to nothing more than a Spanish accent and the whole population of my country by saying nothing else separates Portuguese from the Spanish other than being darker skinned.
Some posters responded to his blatant ignorance and assault on the population of a whole country but being the troll that he is he simply replied with insults same as in this thread.
Eventually we all gave up and ignored the troll hoping we would go trolling somewhere else which I now see that he did.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/55632-booked-with-dr-bruno-ferreira-january-28-2020/?tab=comments#comment-525941

We are supposed to be in a community that is supportive of people struggling with hairloss and provides positive contributions.
Therefore, I kindly ask that this xenophobic ignorant be removed from HRN as to avoid any further assaults from this troll. 

Thank you.

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Portugal25 said:

@Melvin-Moderator this guy has been trolling on HRN insulting members and spreading his ignorance on a level that is outright xenophobic and thus unacceptable.
In the thread below he insulted my language which he claims be to nothing more than a Spanish accent and the whole population of my country by saying nothing else separates Portuguese from the Spanish other than being darker skinned.
Some posters responded to his blatant ignorance and assault on the population of a whole country but being the troll that he is he simply replied with insults same as in this thread.
Eventually we all gave up and ignored the troll hoping we would go trolling somewhere else which I now see that he did.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/55632-booked-with-dr-bruno-ferreira-january-28-2020/?tab=comments#comment-525941

We are supposed to be in a community that is supportive of people struggling with hairloss and provides positive contributions.
Therefore, I kindly ask that this xenophobic ignorant be removed from HRN as to avoid any further assaults from this troll. 

Thank you.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, after careful consideration, we just can’t have someone like that posting on this board. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Now maybe we can get back on topic...😀

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Could not agree more...😀

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a great thread! Thanks for keeping the conversations informative!

I have long wondered if I was the only one whose transplanted hair didn't have full coverage when unstyled, but more so strategically placed grafts to give the illusion of coverage. I'd say my surgeon did a great job filling the frontal and much of the mid-scalp, sparse on the crown, which is completely understandable.

Early in the thread someone mentioned the use of concealer to finish the job, I couldn't be in any more agreement. I don't know exactly what Norwood classification I was, if I were to be completely honest I'd say V A diffuse with higher sides. After 6500 grafts over two FUE procedures, I could still optically, without styling, have another 2500 graft procedure, which I consider from time to time. In current state, with styled hair and heavy crown/moderate mid-scalp Caboki use, one would never suspect I was ever bald-ish, in fact, I have gotten many compliments on my hair for a guy in his early 40s.

This now begs the question, we talk a lot here about density of graft placement, and total grafts in each procedure. What I think we fail to also take into consideration is the size of ones head. I have a pretty big head, hat size is 7 1/2, which is about as large as they come. So, my 6500 grafts may seem like a ton, given my estimated Norwood classification, but with a head that size, the grafts just didn't go as far as they would on a recipient with a smaller head.

Not sure how any of this add to the conversation but I found this thread to be awesome.

• Like 1

I also wear a size 7.5 cap size and had 6900 grafts...I was a Norwood 5 when I started my first procedure.

Gillenator

• Administrators

Head size matters a lot (that’s what she said) lol. Grafts go a lot farther on a small head. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

5 hours ago, StantonNY said:

The donor will be same size as head surely? Bigger head, bigger donor. 

"I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion." LOL

Not the correct way to think about it. The total area across both the donor and recipient will be smaller, however the grafts themselves aren't necessarily smaller. Assuming the grafts/hairs are the same size, you end up with a smaller amount of grafts covering a larger percentage of a recipient, as the recipient area is smaller. Obviously specific norwood for everyone is slightly different, graft quality, hair size etc all effect results, but there are definitely occasionally instances in which someone clearly has a smaller, often thinner head and the NW5 area is much smaller on average.

Yes your total donor might be smaller, but that doesn't matter in the sense that virtually no one uses up their entire donor regardless, the main consideration is what can be achieved in a single procedure and how many grafts to cover the balding area, and a smaller head can often mean less grafts to achieve broader coverage.

Head size absolutely has an effect on the density possible, but the illusion of density is still definitely possible. Case in point, I'm NW5, thin blonde hair, MASSIVE napper, and 4600 (I doubt it's that much really) grafts later, I'm getting constant compliments and comments about how thick my hair looks - both by those who know and those who don't know I have had a transplant. To this theme again, it is absolutely an illusion, but the only people who notice it as such are those who' know what they're looking for. 

• Administrators

Stanton was a troll who’s been banned before, looks like he was here to clearly promote a surgeon who was found providing incentives to post on here.

Its a blatant misuse of our forum, and it’s clear this clinic was trying to game the system. I wouldn’t waste your time responding. 

View my thread

Head size is subjective...it really comes down to the total size of the surface area being grafted and how dense per FUcm2....in addition, the degree of coarseness of the hair being transplanted...the higher degree of coarseness, the more dense the final visual result will be.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

People need to have realistic expectations before getting a HT. You will never achieve your teenage density but what a good HT can do for you is to provide you with the visual aesthetics of having decent coverage for your head.

Also noting that not everyone has enough donor to cover the total balding area of yOur head, so you might have to make a choice on which areas of your head to focus on. If you are a NW7 and only have enough donor to cover your frontal 1/3 at 40% density (which I believe should give you some decent visual aesthetics), while the mid scalp and crown is bald, will be able to accept that look? 

These are serious considerations before anyone jumps into a HT

• Administrators
Just now, squarepatch said:

People need to have realistic expectations before getting a HT. You will never achieve your teenage density but what a good HT can do for you is to provide you with the visual aesthetics of having decent coverage for your head.

Also noting that not everyone has enough donor to cover the total balding area of yOur head, so you might have to make a choice on which areas of your head to focus on. If you are a NW7 and only have enough donor to cover your frontal 1/3 at 40% density (which I believe should give you some decent visual aesthetics), while the mid scalp and crown is bald, will be able to accept that look? 

These are serious considerations before anyone jumps into a HT

Good points, it all boils down to perspective. In my opinion, I would rather have my face framed, then be totally bald. But then again, some guys wont everything or nothing at all. Those are the guys I want to really read this thread before deciding on surgery.

View my thread

• Moderators
5 hours ago, squarepatch said:

These are serious considerations before anyone jumps into a HT.

Yeah. I think the guys who have the hardest decision to make are the ones who are NW5 and up who have been buzzing or shaving their head for a while and are sort of OK with it, but would really prefer to have hair. These are the guys who buzzed early on when their hair was just starting to get too bad to bother trying to style it and they just took it all off. For these men even if they have a good hair transplant it may not be thick enough or cover enough area for them to like letting it grow and they'll just want to go back to shaving it off. If they go for FUT to try to get more coverage/density then they can't go back to buzzing/shaving. If they go for FUE hoping that they can go back to buzzing in case they have to then even if they can go back to buzzing/shaving you have to wonder if it was even worth the time and cost.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The lockdown won't last forever!

Gillenator

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

They are already in talks about opening it back up. In LA we had the worst fiscal year in history. Way worse than 9/11 and the recession of 2008. They will be forced to open back up or face certain financial doom.

View my thread

Oh sure and then experience a second wave break-out much worse than the first!...😬

Gillenator