Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

We should remember that the goal is to achieve a visual appearance of restoration, not necessarily a defined level of density.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, gillenator said:

We should remember that the goal is to achieve a visual appearance of restoration, not necessarily a defined level of density.

Very true,

but the visual appearance of density should look natural and carry as if you now have hair in the area.  It shouldn't be damaged scalp or see through to the point that after paying for a Restoration it still looks like you need a restoration again in the same area that was worked on before.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, hairdisaster21 said:

why does sylvester stalones look so good??

He uses a hair piece, I actually think it's starting to look ridiculous. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

18 hours ago, hairdisaster21 said:

why does sylvester stalones look so good??

Definitely a hair piece. If you look at pics of him from the 80s to now you can tell its not his real hair. Like the rest of his face hes had work done on top too. He looks ugly with all those surgeries and hair piece

1 hour ago, goodwally said:

Definitely a hair piece. If you look at pics of him from the 80s to now you can tell its not his real hair. Like the rest of his face hes had work done on top too. He looks ugly with all those surgeries and hair piece

That’s not nice to say about someone else

On 12/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, hairdisaster21 said:

You guys I don’t want to go through a bad transplant.  Any recommendations for a hair system to cover the bald spot in my pic?  I emailed the cutuo in Spain, but have not received a response. 

If you mean dr. couto in spain dont bother. Hes backlogged 7 years with patients. Yes 7 years bud. Youll have to wait that long just for an eval. Then wait again for the actual surgery.  Sorry for breaking the bad news to you. But thats how long hes standby list is.

Edited by goodwally

33 minutes ago, goodwally said:

If you mean dr. couto in spain dont bother. Hes backlogged 7 years with patients. Yes 7 years bud. Youll have to wait that long just for an eval. Then wait again for the actual surgery.  Sorry for breaking the bad news to you. But thats how long hes standby list is.

7 years shows how good that doc is.  He doesnt need to be part of any forum or so called organization(s).  Probably, the one doc that doesnt need heavy marketing.  Probably has a lot of ethics.  Very rare to find a doc with such a backlog.  I hope he does not decide to work with anyone as that can be the downfall.  He needs to remain as is.  I heard he goes out his way to make sure all patients are happy, very rare nowadays.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sean said:

7 years shows how good that doc is.  He doesnt need to be part of any forum or so called organization(s).  Probably, the one doc that doesnt need heavy marketing.  Probably has a lot of ethics.  Very rare to find a doc with such a backlog.  I hope he does not decide to work with anyone as that can be the downfall.  He needs to remain as is.  I heard he goes out his way to make sure all patients are happy, very rare nowadays.  

But couto's office doesnt follow up with patients. Patients have to keep abreast with couto's schedule via his secretary which should be the other way around. Cant deal with an ht doc that behaves this way. This is definitively not "going out his way for his patients."

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Sean said:

1 hour ago, goodwally said:

But couto's office doesnt follow up with patients. Patients have to keep abreast with couto's schedule via his secretary which should be the other way around. Cant deal with an ht doc that behaves this way. This is definitively not "going out his way for his patients."

It is hard to verify what either of you are saying to be true or not, I agree that having a long wait period doesn't mean you are more ethical or a better surgeon. At the same time, we don't know if he does or doesn't follow up with patients. I think there is a lot of hype around this surgeon, his videos are certainly impressive. But what both of you have shared is nothing more than conjecture. I will withhold judgement or comments until I see some actual patient posted reviews and results, and once I see how the surgeon behaves with an unhappy patient, and believe me there are some out there I'm sure of it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, Sean said:

Very true,

but the visual appearance of density should look natural and carry as if you now have hair in the area.  It shouldn't be damaged scalp or see through to the point that after paying for a Restoration it still looks like you need a restoration again in the same area that was worked on before.  

Very true!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:02 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

It is hard to verify what either of you are saying to be true or not, I agree that having a long wait period doesn't mean you are more ethical or a better surgeon. At the same time, we don't know if he does or doesn't follow up with patients.

Well youre talking to someone who knows cuz I dealt with the office directly on several occasions until I gave up. There are also others who've complained about couto namely his schedule on the euro forums. Your comment is unfounded opinion since it isnt based on actual experience dealing with his office. 

You can be the best surgeon in the world I dont care. If you lack good bedside manners, disrespect patients, dont make an effort to follow up with patients, and act negligently youre no surgeon to me. I'll take my biz elsewhere to someone who truly deserves it. Thats me!

Been  to a couple of clinics where the dr.s were disrespectful. These type of dr.s always take a backseat to my respect. Like I said I'll take my biz elsewhere if thats the case.

Edited by goodwally

IMHO, doctors who take the necessary time to follow-up with their patients is a good sign of ethical character and indication that they care about their patients, not just how much biz is coming through the front door.

Gillenator

• Administrators
On 12/27/2019 at 2:59 PM, goodwally said:

Well youre talking to someone who knows cuz I dealt with the office directly on several occasions until I gave up. There are also others who've complained about couto namely his schedule on the euro forums. Your comment is unfounded opinion since it isnt based on actual experience dealing with his office. 

You can be the best surgeon in the world I dont care. If you lack good bedside manners, disrespect patients, dont make an effort to follow up with patients, and act negligently youre no surgeon to me. I'll take my biz elsewhere to someone who truly deserves it. Thats me!

Been  to a couple of clinics where the dr.s were disrespectful. These type of dr.s always take a backseat to my respect. Like I said I'll take my biz elsewhere if thats the case.

Ok well if that was your experience I'm sorry, I agree that a surgeons bedside manners and office protocol definitely matters. 

View my thread

Sometimes it's not only what the clinician does but also what is not done that speaks volumes.

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I agree that in the great majority of cases hair density is nothing more than engineered illusion. But there have been a few ht drs who've done work so well with density that illusion isnt needed. Man I wish that were the case in at least most ht procedures.

But this begs the bigger question.... why are some ht results more dense than others when using same technique, same dr and same amount of grafts?????

I'd pay good money for an answer to that!!!

2 minutes ago, goodwally said:

1. But there have been a few ht drs who've done work so well with density that illusion isnt needed.

2. why are some ht results more dense than others when using same technique, same dr and same amount of grafts?????

3. I'd pay good money for an answer to that!!!

1. That is nonsense. 99.9 % of all HT are illusions and if they are not it is because it is a special case and not because this is a clinic who found a holy grail. Even the best clinics have to achieve with 45-60 FU/cm2 in the hairline what nature creates with 70-110 grafts. In the crown we are talking 30-45 maybe 50 FU/cm2 what natures does with 65-110 FU/cm2. Think about it: If the illusion would not work, one could not harvest grafts from the donor. 

2. Simple: Every case is different. Even if the amount of grafts is the same, the area is not the same, the hair angles are not the same, the hair/scalp contrast is not the same, the curliness (is this a word?) is not the same, the HGI (Hair / Graft Index) is not the same and the hair diameter is not the same. Add length and hairstyle to the list. On top of that is the survival rate. 

You are not convinced? Simple example: Doubling the hair diameter equals 4 (!) times the amount of grafts! 

3. You owe me 10 000 USD 😉

25 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

1. That is nonsense. 99.9 % of all HT are illusions and if they are not it is because it is a special case and not because this is a clinic who found a holy grail. Even the best clinics have to achieve with 45-60 FU/cm2 in the hairline what nature creates with 70-110 grafts. In the crown we are talking 30-45 maybe 50 FU/cm2 what natures does with 65-110 FU/cm2. Think about it: If the illusion would not work, one could not harvest grafts from the donor. 

2. Simple: Every case is different. Even if the amount of grafts is the same, the area is not the same, the hair angles are not the same, the hair/scalp contrast is not the same, the curliness (is this a word?) is not the same, the HGI (Hair / Graft Index) is not the same and the hair diameter is not the same. Add length and hairstyle to the list. On top of that is the survival rate. 

You are not convinced? Simple example: Doubling the hair diameter equals 4 (!) times the amount of grafts! 

3. You owe me 10 000 USD 😉

1. You dont know hair transplants. Theres a few ht results that have shown high enough density that illusion isnt necessary..

2. "Simple: Every case is different." Uhh thats what I alluded to.  duhhh

3. Keep the $10000 to buy reading glasses

7 minutes ago, goodwally said:

1. You dont know hair transplants. Theres a few ht results that have shown high enough density that illusion isnt necessary..

1. Ever heard of glasshouse and stones? No there isn't. In this very forum there is maybe one case, which comes close (aftermath' case). Show me 5 cases in this forum were natural density is achieved. Not 5 cases which look like natural density (cause this is the illusion), but real natural density between 70-110 FUE/cm2. 

2. & 3. Fun fact, obviously you need the reading glasses, as I gave more than "every case is different": HGI, hair diameter, … do I really need to list it again cause your start barking before you finish to read the end of the paragraph?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, goodwally said:

Gas said “you owe me $10000”

You said “keep the $10000 to buy reading glasses”

lmao seems like you’re the one who needs reading glasses

• Like 2