Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

On 12/19/2020 at 7:32 AM, Guy73 said:

This guy on YouTube has had two procedures just to lower his hairline. Now this was his 12 month update from his second procedure. I believe when the light is above you and in front of you a true indication of where you stand on density. Usually in his videos you would think his hair is soo thick. But here you can clearly see the space between grafts. Not bad though. Any thoughts??198D3C70-FFA7-4163-9C3C-D5BB7DAE2D6E.thumb.jpeg.3f10aa0d262060018f72a427541dbdd3.jpegBD619C07-C633-4543-87CC-E9AB2D25C33E.thumb.jpeg.26b0bcf32812c77bd3550bd6d2a0bea0.jpegE7D9B55E-C659-48A3-ABD0-853E2EDBAD7E.thumb.jpeg.d8cbec6a8472fe057c32ac238d8681f6.jpeg1A35BD79-50A3-4783-BB88-F271AD75223F.thumb.png.9c1df919a75625f6aa30ebd93a0266c0.png

94B51A8B-CCAA-4112-9BB1-58DC86AB8B00.png

14200C5A-F6A8-4B72-9FB1-89171BED881E.png

54351DAA-779E-4B38-A874-AAA05C847743.png

Sometimes when I look at hairloss Youtubers with 10k+ subs like this guy I get jealous of their success in the realm of hairloss information when I feel I’m personally vastly more knowledgeable, intelligent and helpful than they could ever be but I lack the platform and efforts to develop one. 

Then I see disasters like this and the envy stops, I immediately just feel bad for them and the vulnerable people who get advice from people like this. Even worse for him all of his multitudes of treatments seem to be failing. 

What next?!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 1/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, JayLDD said:

Right, lets look at my result then:

Untitled.jpg.8d8262947cd7f3aff7b21ccfeab268ca.jpg

P1070770.thumb.jpg.8464432b9752115b88671f7663e031cd.jpg

P1070771.thumb.jpg.4e835d79ecf85169e2f33a41915319c2.jpg

971144AF-F91D-4DAC-8217-E07F1BBB85A0.png

IMG_1230-17-11-18-01-14.thumb.jpeg.aba1d3765de4783c029aabf70a35e546.jpeg

The reality is there isn't a single person on the forum or on the planet with my previous hair situation who wouldn't be happy with these results. To add to that, Erdogan has and continues to have among the most impressive high norwood results on this and the international forum. Certainly the most impressive of FUE. You're obsessing over Couto purely off the basis of Youtube videos, I doubt you've seen a single patient posted result from him. You literally were praising an Erdogan result as "One of the best jobs I've ever seen." a few days ago. 

"Of course obtuse and uneducated guys like jayldd dont know hair while stuck with shitty transplants."

You know as well as I do that this comment is false so why say it? I've had multiple transplants, I've seen multiple people with transplants in person including people who had previously been to American and Canadian clinics at ASMED and I've been on this forum for longer than you have and engaged more significantly. Same situation with Gas and same situation with Melvin who has been here for years and years. You've never had surgery, the current state of your hair is terrible and you're jerking over a surgeon who again, I am 99% sure you've never seen a patient posted result from. You refuse to understand that it is impossible to achieve natural density on the top of the head by taking from a donor with less hair than ever originally existed on top. Its the equivalent of a child believing in magic.

I feel bad for you in a way because its clear your own hair situation is terrible and you're looking for a magic bullet so badly you've decided wizardry is a real thing. Wake up and stop acting like a child.

"Dude youre overreaching and getting angry af. Its not that serious if youre wrong. Take a water break you need it"

Proof you're deluded? I strongly recommend you read and reflect on this comment you wrote, specifically how hypocritical it is and the projection involved in case you're beyond figuring that out.

Lol bro I don't know what the fuck that guy is saying, these results are amazing. 

On 12/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, JohnAC71 said:

This is screaming hair transplant ! This would draw anybody eyes to your hair. I echo the above... give yourself a decent higher Norwood.

Yeah the guy had a pretty decent youtube following now. His hair looks great overall but unless he knows for a fact that people in his family don't lose anything further, he's pretty much cooked himself for later in life. 3k graphs for a hairline lowering in your early 30s doesn't leave much for later, especially when some some people are doing 3500 alone for an entire front and mid scalp. 

Edited by TrialAcc

Sorry guys, I have been thinking about HT but actually today I'd rather not undergo this. My decision is partially based on this thread.

But can you tell me what is the advantage of HT compared to a wig then?

Based on the comments in this thread I got:

1. HT is easily recognizable in close contact (hair angles, hair dencity are different etc.)
  2. HT requires a lot of maintenence and care. Hair should be kept dry (which means no intensive sports) and styled regularly
  3. HT is a surgial operations with all the corresponding risks
  4. HT makes scars which, again, noticable in close contact.
  5. HT requires serious lifetime post-operative therapy with highly unpredictable medication as Fin (I was banned for discussing Fin in another topic so I will not discuss it further).
  6. HT (for high norwoods) requires using hair sprinkles which means you can't touch/scratch your head (the same as with wig)

So what are the advantages of HT at all? Just the fact that the implanted hair are growing? Or for looking good from the distance?

Thanks for your replies.

You got this thread wrong by a lot of your comments.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:16 AM, Roman1973 said:
  1. HT is easily recognizable in close contact (hair angles, hair dencity are different etc.) NO, not with the right clinic. To be precise: angles etc. should be correct with the right clinic, but density is lower than natural but this is not detectable with a good result - this IS the illusion). 
  2. HT requires a lot of maintenence and care. Hair should be kept dry (which means no intensive sports) and styled regularly NO, absolutely not, but it might look better (some look better wet though). Of course the right hairstyle helps the illusion. 
  3. HT is a surgial operations with all the corresponding risks YES, this is right. 
  4. HT makes scars which, again, noticable in close contact. NO, (most likely) not with the right clinic. 
  5. HT requires serious lifetime post-operative therapy with highly unpredictable medication as Fin (I was banned for discussing Fin in another topic so I will not discuss it further). Depends on the individual case. 
  6. HT (for high norwoods) requires using hair sprinkles which means you can't touch/scratch your head (the same as with wig)  Depends on your situation and your expectation. 

Edited by Gasthoerer

On 12/29/2020 at 4:16 AM, Roman1973 said:

Sorry guys, I have been thinking about HT but actually today I'd rather not undergo this. My decision is partially based on this thread.

1. HT is easily recognizable in close contact (hair angles, hair dencity are different etc.)
  2. HT requires a lot of maintenence and care. Hair should be kept dry (which means no intensive sports) and styled regularly
  5. HT requires serious lifetime post-operative therapy with highly unpredictable medication as Fin (I was banned for discussing Fin in another topic so I will not discuss it further).
  6. HT (for high norwoods) requires using hair sprinkles which means you can't touch/scratch your head (the same as with wig)

So what are the advantages of HT at all? Just the fact that the implanted hair are growing? Or for looking good from the distance?

Thanks for your replies.

If you have problems with both ht and fina, i think your only option is mach3 gillet.

• Haha 2

On 12/28/2020 at 10:16 PM, Roman1973 said:

Thanks for your replies.

Hair systems have come a long way...still, I wore them for over a decade and hated it!

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

There is no question that I like my HTs so much more...I would never consider wearing systems again...and after having roughly 6900 grafts, I won't ever need to wear them again...WHEW!

• Like 2

Gillenator

36 minutes ago, gillenator said:

There is no question that I like my HTs so much more...I would never consider wearing systems again...and after having roughly 6900 grafts, I won't ever need to wear them again...WHEW!

Happy to hear this. Any recent photos of your HT that you are willing to share??

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, gillenator said:

I'm about 1,500 grafts behind you, I think that amount will be the perfect amount for me. 7,000 graft range is basically full coverage, but obviously the density won't be perfect. I'm totally okay with that, and I imagine once i'm in my 60's I would care even less. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I'm about 1,500 grafts behind you, I think that amount will be the perfect amount for me. 7,000 graft range is basically full coverage, but obviously the density won't be perfect. I'm totally okay with that, and I imagine once i'm in my 60's I would care even less. 

I don’t know, I hear people saying that about their 30s 40s 50s! I think if you care about your hair enough to consider surgery and medical treatment now, you will always care about your hair.

I don’t know, I hear people saying that about being in their 30s 40s and 50s! I think if you care about your hair enough to undergo surgery and medical treatment now, you will always care about your hair.

But I understand what you’re saying.

• Like 1

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, yesplease said:

I don’t know, I hear people saying that about their 30s 40s 50s! I think if you care about your hair enough to consider surgery and medical treatment now, you will always care about your hair.

I don’t know, I hear people saying that about being in their 30s 40s and 50s! I think if you care about your hair enough to undergo surgery and medical treatment now, you will always care about your hair.

But I understand what you’re saying.

Yea, no doubt I will care about my hair, but I'm thinking a little thinness is okay by me now, so with time I assume I will only come to accept it more. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Melvin, your density looks awesome now.

Guys, trust me, once you get your hair back, you will always care.

Gillenator

• Administrators
1 minute ago, gillenator said:

Melvin, your density looks awesome now.

Guys, trust me, once you get your hair back, you will always care.

I want more haha, tis the hair greed bug, it gets us all.

• Thanks 1

View my thread

If you have the $, go for it!

• Like 1

Gillenator

I think many more guys would get the procedure done if they had the finances.

Gillenator

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, gillenator said:

I think many more guys would get the procedure done if they had the finances.

Thankfully, I’ve been able to save for rainy hair days. But the donor supply is what’s held me back. But I’m confident in my beard being used as filler. 

View my thread

Your frontal core already is fine so placement in the next procedure will transcend towards the midscalp?

Gillenator

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thankfully, I’ve been able to save for rainy hair days. But the donor supply is what’s held me back. But I’m confident in my beard being used as filler.

You really should try a session of about 500 grafts into your crown. I think you have a very light covering of scalp grafts in your crown already, so mixing it with 500 to 600 beard grafts would probably do wonders for the crown without having any real difference in texture. I tell people even if the texture is different, how can it not be better than using concealer.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

You really should try a session of about 500 grafts into your crown. I think you have a very light covering of scalp grafts in your crown already, so mixing it with 500 to 600 beard grafts would probably do wonders for the crown without having any real difference in texture. I tell people even if the texture is different, how can it not be better than using concealer.

The good news for me is that beard hair is not that kinky. I’ve been growing it out, and I’m delighted that i can comb it. I think I could use some of it as filler in the midscalp as well. 

View my thread