Are Hair Transplants an “Illusion” of density?

Definitely a good filler for the mid-scalp and crown too.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It really depends on the individual's hair characteristics...the closer the scalp and beard hair match, the higher the ratio of beard to scalp...however if the beard hair is more curly and the scalp hair is more straight, the ratio has to come down significantly.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it bad if beard hair is curly? I have straight hair but curlyish beard hair would that not mix well even in a crown area?

Also can you use beard hair to fill in FUE scars regardless of if its curly or straight?

On 1/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, gillenator said:

It really depends on the individual's hair characteristics...the closer the scalp and beard hair match, the higher the ratio of beard to scalp...however if the beard hair is more curly and the scalp hair is more straight, the ratio has to come down significantly.

Why is it bad if beard hair is curly? I have straight hair but curlyish beard hair would that not mix well even in a crown area?

Also can you use beard hair to fill in FUE scars regardless of if its curly or straight?

It's not that curly beard hair in itself is bad...the point is that curly hair and straight hair do not make an ideal mix (visually speaking).

Gillenator

• Administrators
1 hour ago, gillenator said:

It's not that curly beard hair in itself is bad...the point is that curly hair and straight hair do not make an ideal mix (visually speaking).

Yea, you want beard hair to be a little similar to your scalp hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, plus said:

@Melvin-Moderatoryou had some hair left on the top when you had a transplant and you didn't take Finasteride to prevent shock loss. Do you know if that hair survived? what was your expectation before surgery? Did you plan on them surviving?

Thanks!

I had some tiny wisps, they made no difference. I have no idea if they survived. I would never know. They stopped growing before my HT.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Probably weak diffused vellus hair on its way out...but now look at Melvin's result...😁

• Like 2

Gillenator

• 3 weeks later...

Totally agree!

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

Appearance of density is very much the case when there is significant hair loss and we cannot cover the scalp as part of the first procedure.  This gives the illusion of density which is focused in the frontal tuft and hairline that then may thin out towards the crown until a future session can be booked to restore that area.  

The appearance of density is never the same as actual density or better said, does not have to be the same as actual density.

Gillenator

• 3 weeks later...

If you're a lower NW, couldn't you realistically get true density in a place like the hairline where density is generally emphasized? Maybe not density to match your existing density but enough where you've got it within a somewhat natural range

Yes, I think it's possible to visually achieve enough to appear a close match...and if the individual has good hair characteristics such as above average caliber, any wave, etc., will definitely help to create that illusion of higher density.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

It really comes down to the skill of each individual surgeon has regarding grafted density levels.

Gillenator

On 6/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, Bam said:

What is the maximum density that can realistically be achieved via HT in temples, hairline, etc (assuming donor  is not a concern)?

I've seen a few surgeons mention being able to transplant 80 grafts/cm2. They can probably do more but 80 is even above native density for some people

• Administrators
On 6/19/2021 at 2:09 PM, Bam said:

What is the maximum density that can realistically be achieved via HT in temples, hairline, etc (assuming donor  is not a concern)?

You can transplant natural density, most people have 70-80 fu per cm2 in their donor. You can match that density in two or three procedures in one spot. If donor was not a concern, which does not exist, then yea you can match native density. But donor is a concern, it is a finite source, you can be the richest man in the world, but you only have a certain number of donor hair.

• Like 1

View my thread

So once again, what is the point in pursuing such high density levels when it really is not necessary to achieve good visual results and not deplete the donor?

Gillenator

This is largely my personal opinion, but I feel surgeons and patients alike tend to overshoot the mark when estimating grafts per unit area, being impressed by the stating of large numbers like 80. The largest density cases I have seen are from Dr. Hasson, some of which do appear to match or potentially even exceed native adult density however. Even among people without hairloss I'd estimate some are 55cm2 throughout their entire scalp, those on the other end of the spectrum being closer to 90. "Native density" is largely a generalisation and while it can be transplanted in small areas it very rarely occurs in single procedures. 

Outside of the hairline there are massively diminishing returns for density placed in the midscalp and crown, less often being more. 

Really not necessary to achieve a visually nice restored look.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 5:18 AM, gbhscot said:

Honestly, I would disagree. What the last week of my life has taught me is that once you're in the rabbit hole of hair loss forums and transplant critiquing, you become myopic about the importance of hair for the general aesthetic. It's a vaccum which sucks all other aspects of looks towards it. I've realized how little the rest of the world see's it like that. Also, nothing will age you more than balding, and if a HT can't get an individual beyond a balding look, I question if it's more hassle than it's worth?

I was so down recently about my hair, I'd go as far as to say suicidal, I was constantly panicking about the trade off between my looks and mental health and having to gamble with my health on starting propecia and getting a HT. My reality is that I'm an NW5 diffuse thinner, probably too far gone to get a decent result anyways, particularly without propecia. I felt totally blocked in, no choices left. My gf made me shave it, and moreso, made me start paying attention to myself as a whole, not HAIR+me. I don't think I look better without hair now, but nor do I think I look worse, and nor do I think that it's really a big deal for anyone else. Hair is taken out of the equation, so suddenly other features are the focal point, not the lack of one.

I'd say to everyone on here - get a HT, sure. Do your research, don't be put off by the thought it's an illusion but be realistic. But before that, shave it off, see how you look and feel, and really ask if its better for you personally to take the worry out your life. These forums seem to turn confident guys almost into Incels in my experience.

And btw, I'm not ruling out ever getting a hair transplant, maybe one day - but f**k me, the feeling of liberation from worry right now is an incredible weight of my shoulders.

I've been really enjoying your responses to this topic. I imagine in the years to come, as a head shaver, your mental health and self appreciation will be in a place of strength, (it sounds like it is already). I don't look bad with a shaved head, and I'm definitely not opposed to a transplant. What I don't like is the "oh shit, is that not his real hair", which I know will present itself in a few forms down the road e.g. swimming, sweat, wind, friends and girlfriends messing with your hair. There is also an element of "owning" that part of it too, which Melvin and other transplanters here have adopted (assuming your results are to your liking - anything short of that and you're in trouble. 

So this particular thread has been really valuable in helping me decide on next steps.

Hair transplants present a visual illusion, some better than others.

Gillenator

Dr. Bisanga has an educational video on density and illusion of coverage which is very related to this topic. As he says, what provides coverage is the thickness of hair, the angulation of hair, the contrast between hair color and skin color.