And there is Argentina 1978 and 1986 but that is only 4 nations out of 234 nationals that are registered to play. There is three important reasons why Italy are doing well. Coach, technical skill and fitness. Its like a hair transplant doctor and his workers. Everyone is important for success.

England has only been two semi finals in major tournament since 1966 (1990 and 1996). They are not a super power in football. There league is only because of the foreigners that play in it. England needs to start from scratch and start teaching players at a young age differently. The English managers are not great and the team always lacks leadership.

Only 4 nations out of 234.... strong use of stats. Those 4 nations have a huge population so many can lol.

Yeh it seems you guys have great teamwork but fitness shouldn't be an issue if you are playing at the top level which most of the major nations are. No offence but i don't see much incredibly technically skilled players in the Italian squad, i'm talking about players like iniesta/silva, payet/pogba, perisic etc. Although im starting to become a fan of eder.

There was a stat that england haven't made it past the first knockout stage in a major tournament in 10 years which was quite shocking to hear, even though i personally didn't have much hope for this england squad. I said before the tournament its the worst england team i've ever seen, However im only 22 so im sure some of you guys have seen worse.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered why England hasn't yet toyed with the idea of trying to lure Sir Alex Ferguson out of retirement to coach the national team. I get that he is Scottish, but I think he would be a great fit.

HTsoon, England have had foreign coaches without success in recent years. I think the problem runs deeper than just the coaching. They now have a mental block that psychologically prevents them from advancing very far in major tournaments. I thought they looked really good leading into the tournament, but the pressure that comes with the choke tag is always too much. They don't know how to win. Germany mentally know how to win. Same with the NY Jets and New England Patriots. Doesn't matter if the Jets field a stronger more talented team, they don't know how to win regularly against the Pats. Same thing with the NY Knicks of the 90s or the San Jose Sharks, or the Buffalo bills of the 80s. I think the talent is there for England, but the mentality of the players is questionable. I don't think winning is important enough for them like it is for the Germans. They lack the heart and the passion.

Baldingtime

Although the Italians don't have the superstars of the past. They definitely don't lack in technical skills. You missed the good England teams with Platt and Gascoigne. Now that Gerrard, Beckham and Lampard are gone their team lacks a lot.

Mav;

According to the British media England is a good team. The rest of the soccer world have another opinion. I am a soccer fanatic that have travelling all over the world to watch soccer games and know a lot about soccer. I won $200 when Iceland beat England because I knew at 4-1 odds there was a strong possibility this would happen. England doesn't have a good team and it will take many years, a lot of changes for that to ever happen.

Interesting article

http://sportsfabiod.sportsblog.com/posts/20668430/the-italian-national-team-is-underrated-.html

Edited by lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• Administrators

England has only been two semi finals in major tournament since 1966 (1990 and 1996). They are not a super power in football. There league is only because of the foreigners that play in it. England needs to start from scratch and start teaching players at a young age differently. The English managers are not great and the team always lacks leadership.

I agree 100% I think one of their biggest problems is thinking they are better then they are, they underestimate way too many teams, and I think thats exactly what they did with Iceland, they probably thought the game was going to be easy, and I think the fans felt the same way. The reason why teams like Germany, France, Italy and previously Spain do so well is because of their mentality going in to every game never changes and they are prepared no matter who they face.

I think the English media hype the team and certain players way too much, for example Harry Kane, he's had two good seasons and all of the sudden he is worthy of Ballon d' oro, now with Vardy, he's almost 30 sure he had a good season but to hype these players up as England's best hope is not good for the team or the players. I think sometimes humility is needed, and I think now because of this the mentality will change.

Remember in Football anything can happen, do you remember Euro 04 when Greece won, like I said when you play as a unit and each player is played in their position and the manager is able to get the best out of them, and they all know their roles and play it to their best of their ability they will beat any team made up of just talented (stars).

Nevertheless, to be honest that English team should have beaten Iceland, the team is comprised of19 players who play professionally and their manager is a part time dentist I think the humbling experience will definitely help the English.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I fully agree. Greece winning the Euros is almost like leicester city winning the premiership. I became a huge leicester fan and its funny they play a lot like the Italians as a team.

I remember when Italy played Iceland in Iceland in 2004 (Lippi first game as Italian manager) and lost 2-0. Iceland couldn't get enough players so they had to use two guys that were on a construction site.

I agree anything is possible in soccer. I remember watching live in Amsterdam, Italy-Holland in 2000. Holland dominated that game like I have never seen. They missed two penalty shots and lost in a shootout. Even though I am an Italian fan I had two ticket sold to a dutch fan for $2000 each and was going to meet him after the game. Not only I lost a huge profit on tickets I had to watch Italy lose in the finals.

I expect Italy to lose to Germany but regardless I am happy how they performed.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Well Im welsh & we was given a snow ball hells chance, now we are in the last 16, whys that you say? Because they act like a unit, not individuals like the England team.

HT, im thinking about greece 2004 all the time, Wales has no presure on them at this stage so they can go out & enjoy themselfs unlike the presure on England is ridiculous, always have been, always will, .media need to back off them so they can play & enjoy the game.

I wasnt surprised what so ever with the iceland result, england played poor all the way through & having a manager like roy Hodges is piss poor, thats why liverpool got rid of him.

Now myself would definitely give Harry a shot at that job even though the english FA is not found of him but I think he could turn things around for the world cup.

as for sir alex, no chance, why on earth would he come out of retirement to wreck his fantastic reputation? I wouldnt.

Bottoline is that england is no world beaters until they know how to win consistently & winning is an addiction just like loosing is the same.

• Administrators

The FA has appointed the new manager of England its Ted Lasso

jk jk but with the names that have been coming up he's not much worse.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well Im welsh & we was given a snow ball hells chance, now we are in the last 16, whys that you say? Because they act like a unit, not individuals like the England team.

I fully agree. Wales is much better than Greece was so anything is possible. Belgium is strong so the team will have to play like a team. Good for Wales I am happy for them.

The FA has appointed the new manager of England its Ted Lasso
Its an improvement but is it enough? :D

I heard a great quote from Bobby Charlton.

Bobby Charlton was asked how he thought the England team of '66 would have fared against Iceland. " I think we'd have won 1-0 " he replied. "Only 1-0?" Said the reporter. "Yes," said Bobby. "Most of us are in our 70's now!"

Lmao...

yep one of the boys sent that to me on FB today...

I seen some classics this wk, I do feel for them but they & the media brought it on themselfs me feel.

well wales drew & beat Belgium in the qualify rounds but this is different as they are fully aware of, well I hope so, but I can see a tight game, If they play like they did against Ireland they have no chance as Belgium this is for them to loose as they are a well drilled unit very well organized.

Oh well....Come on Wales!

Edited by ontop
edit

Wales needs to slow the game down and frustrate Belgium like Italy did. If they are patient and pick their moments they can win. That is a lot easier said especially for 90 minutes. Hopefully they have a good game plan.

Good luck!

Yep I agree, something like they did with Russia, hit them on the break, give it to Bale let him run at them, I sure hope joe Allen play better than he did against Ireland as against Russia he was on top form.

we shall see who turns up, its a funny old game right?

I agree but you are now playing one of the world best teams. Belgium is a wounded lion and has learned a lot about their loss. Unlike Russia they will capitalize on all mistakes so its important to never give them the chance. I am hoping for Wales but my prediction is a Belgium-Germany Finals.

I have not been impressed with Portugal. I think anything is possible but I would favor Poland.

Matt I agree with a lot of what you are staying. In my past soccer was more about strength, emotion, and running. Now its about technical skill and intelligence. English has been left behind by a lot of nations that teach this to the young players. Don't get me wrong Beckham technical skill was amongst the best in his prime and Gerrard/Lampard intelligence was world class. But these player are few in England.

The biggest mistake England can make is to have another English Manager. Did you know that the top 10 teams in the premiership are all foreigner managers (Hughes with Stoke is from Wales)? Being Italian and a friend of Conte (you see me and him on my avator) he doesn't tolerate crap. He respects all the player but works them hard for training. There is a time for work and a time for fun. I hope Conte has great success with Chelsea and one day even becomes the English manager.

Very true of when I used to play under 15s. Horrible pitches to play on and an emphasis on kicking the ball as far up the pitch as possible and running forward. Hopefully football in schools has changed a bit since those days.

Ancelotti would be my first choice foreign manager but I see he's tied up with Bayern.

I hope Conte sorts you out with a few tickets now and again! The two most well known figures I ever met were George Best (in the mid 90s) and Scolari (a couple of months after he was sacked from Chelsea). Scolari was using public transport - I cant imagine someone like Mourinho doing that...

I've always wondered why England hasn't yet toyed with the idea of trying to lure Sir Alex Ferguson out of retirement to coach the national team. I get that he is Scottish, but I think he would be a great fit.

He's a patriotic scotsman and would never do it. I'm sure he'd have been asked many times by the FA.

Now myself would definitely give Harry a shot at that job even though the english FA is not found of him but I think he could turn things around for the world cup.

He's too old now but he may have done a decent job.

Baldingtime

Although the Italians don't have the superstars of the past. They definitely don't lack in technical skills. You missed the good England teams with Platt and Gascoigne. Now that Gerrard, Beckham and Lampard are gone their team lacks a lot.

Gazza in the late 80s until his injury...amazing. I remember when he went to Lazio and Platt to Sampdoria they started showing Serie A games on Channel 4 here. Good times but frustrating Gazza was injured a lot.

I fully agree. Greece winning the Euros is almost like leicester city winning the premiership. I became a huge leicester fan and its funny they play a lot like the Italians as a team.

I remember when Italy played Iceland in Iceland in 2004 (Lippi first game as Italian manager) and lost 2-0. Iceland couldn't get enough players so they had to use two guys that were on a construction site.

Ranieiri - what a great guy. Even non Chelsea fans were sad when he got fired back in 2004.

The same with Vialli. I think he lives here now and sounds almost British these days!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

they'd actually get a performance if they went down a division and picked the best 11 players

they might not have any so -called star players but I bet they'd play with more passion and commitment than the precious, brat premiership players

Interesting listening to Ryan Giggs tonight on ITV basically saying exactly what I referred to in above quote the English players especially the younger ones are just spoiled brats barely a brain cell between them, I'm not just blaming them it's the whole system which is rotten to the core.

Interesting listening to Ryan Giggs tonight on ITV basically saying exactly what I referred to in above quote the English players especially the younger ones are just spoiled brats barely a brain cell between them, I'm not just blaming them it's the whole system which is rotten to the core.

and Raheem Sterling certainly falls into that category. As I expected he went to Man City, didnt play much and has not progressed.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hodgson is a bluffer of the highest order . How did he even get the job ?. Then , after the embarrassment in Brazil how did he keep his job ? Because he's a yes man , that's why , and that's the way the FA like it .

Bunch of corrupt shitheads , just like uefa and fifa !

Having said all that I wasn't overly arsed , at least it gives the decent people in Europe a break from the gonks who follow England ( not all of course , but a sizeable minority ).

Hodgson is a bluffer of the highest order . How did he even get the job ?. Then , after the embarrassment in Brazil how did he keep his job ? Because he's a yes man , that's why , and that's the way the FA like it .

Bunch of corrupt shitheads , just like uefa and fifa !

Having said all that I wasn't overly arsed , at least it gives the decent people in Europe a break from the gonks who follow England ( not all of course , but a sizeable minority ).

Couldn't put it better myself Chris ,he said he didn't know what he was doing there at the second interview ,what a joke ,millions of pounds better off after 4 years and he didn't think the English people deserved some kind of explanation for the performance,Im Irish but

as Chris said all they want is a yes safe man

what a poor game of football that was last night I almost fell asleep watching it ha. ronaldo wasn't on form at all. going on to managers I wouldn't mind seeing slaven bilic as our manager he's a top geeza and I'm sure he would bash a few heads together in that squad and get them all playing as a team.

Cant stand Portugal, cant stand Ronaldo. I have Portuguese friends and admit Ronaldo is a great player. 1994 when Italy lost to Brazil the Portuguese celebrated in the Italian area like THEY won the World Cup. In 2004 I went to Portuguese area with my friends Greece Flag and got my revenge. I was asking the people with Portugal jerseys if they wanted a Kleenex. Although I almost got beat up it was well worth it.

I just saw an interview with Chris Coleman after Wales win. I am very convinced he wears a wig or some kind of hair system.

Yep the thing is with Portugal is there like friggen, Germany & france, they always seem to pick up there game on tbe 11th hour, I sure hope its not against wales as I think Belgium is a far better team than Portugal.

Be interesting to see.

Go Italy!