How barbaric is FUT?

Beestig22

To be short, I decided to have FUE after being informed that it was my best option.

I would like to know how bad is FUT compared to FUE?

Dr. De Reys new website states that FUT is 'barbaric'!

Comments from those who had both procedures would be welcome.

that's because dr de reys only does fue so that's the stance he's taking.

having said that said it is barbaric what ever procedure you opt for. just stand back and actually think about it for a minute.. we cut a strip of skin from the back of our head stitch it up and then chop it up into little peices and then cut little slits on our head and place them into it. and then with FUE we get a blunt metal holow object and punch holes into the back of our head and then rip them out and place them into pre made slits. it all barbaric whatever way you look at it. from where I stand anyway I mean it's not normal is it. but fortunately we got fantastic people searching for a cure how ever long that will take we don't know so we are stick with these methods for the time being.

Its honestly fine. After the initial 5-10mins of local anaesthetic injections you don't feel anything! You do get discomfort post-op but that settles in the first few days. I also wanted FUE but was advised FUT was better given my advanced hair loss...do what will give you the best outcome.

that's because dr de reys only does fue so that's the stance he's taking.

having said that said it is barbaric what ever procedure you opt for. just stand back and actually think about it for a minute.. we cut a strip of skin from the back of our head stitch it up and then chop it up into little peices and then cut little slits on our head and place them into it. and then with FUE we get a blunt metal holow object and punch holes into the back of our head and then rip them out and place them into pre made slits. it all barbaric whatever way you look at it. from where I stand anyway I mean it's not normal is it. but fortunately we got fantastic people searching for a cure how ever long that will take we don't know so we are stick with these methods for the time being.

I agree with every word of this very articulate statement.

In 100 years from now humanity will look back and say all 21st century surgery was barbaric.

Same way we look at middle-ages surgery now. Remember they had no anaesthetics back then, if you needed an appendix taken out they would just give you a piece of wood to bite on and go to work.

*cringe*

Barbaric might not be the best term for it. Compared to FUE, it is generally seen as more invasive because it cuts deeper and is continuous. Watch videos of both procedures being performed by elite surgeons and judge for yourself.

It is indeed BARBARIC compared to properly done FUE. How many guys have been disfigured for life with huge stretched scars on their heads thanks to FUT? Exactly. The end. Now I'm sure Feller and other people who want to sell uneducated desperate people some good old fashioned barbaric FUT will begin to rant and rave. Yawn.

I had 2000 FUE grafts done a year ago and every single one grew in nicely and i didn't mortgage my damn house to do it and it was done in Mexico. Why risk scar stretching,pain, or nerve damage with FUT? FUT is the way of the past FUE is the future. Doctors who actually care about their patients are learning how to do FUE with high yields then ditching FUT.

FUT is far more invasive and the risk of complications far greater with scar stretching , nerve damage and permanent shock loss. The inability to buzz ones head close after also is a major drawback and the far longer recovery period.

FUE is a fantastic procedure just make sure you choose a reputable clinic with a long track record of results. Belgium is a great place to start. The unreliable FUE results we see are coming off 2nd rate clinics and thrown together outfits in Turkey etc .

They are not a true reflection of the FUE procedure.

Cutting open a woman's stomach/abdomen, pushing the organs to the side, and manually removing a baby sounds a lot more Barbaric to me than getting FUT - so what? It's a procedure that has a very high success rate and the only real risk of complications is the scar stretching. Haven't heard of anyone getting brain damage or dying because of the FUT. Does it sound brutal, yes, but what is the point of calling it barbaric if it works well and only really has one risk of complication? Every time you step into your car you run a far greater risk of serious injuries.

Barbaric is what those animals in Syria called ISIS are doing. You are now equating getting a FUT procedure to the raping torture, and murder of human beings?

FUT can be barbaric if your wound doesnt heal properly or nerve damage occurs, but in expert hands these occurances may be minimized. FUE can be damaging if a tech with little to no FUE experience extracts grafts and a doc during the procedure advises him to no no you have to do it like this or that. Aside from that, if you are a test bunny that paid lots of money thinking youll be in safe hands, it can be catastrophic. Your yield will be impacted, your donor will get further screwed with more distince halos if the doc has you come back for repair. Then you may be told you may have scarring alopecia and what not, when in fact military docs may clear you for such conditions. You see there are reasons why this game is the way it is and sime folks are about to put a stop to it, after gathering what they need. You need to go to a doc that gives a dang about you and focuses on you as the patient of the day, that extracts your grafts by him or herself and does the actual surgical aspects of surgery. I dont care if they have a fut or two and you are the fue case that same day, only you should be the patient of tge day, only you. You dont need to go to a business entity recommended clinic that has techs do extractions or has your extracted grafts outside your body for long periods of time. You need to go to a clinic that follows medically regulated protocols.

Only a handful of docs do the entire work themselves and are capable in doing so. Good luck!

Cutting open a woman's stomach/abdomen, pushing the organs to the side, and manually removing a baby sounds a lot more Barbaric to me than getting FUT - so what? It's a procedure that has a very high success rate and the only real risk of complications is the scar stretching. Haven't heard of anyone getting brain damage or dying because of the FUT

You obviously havent heard of me yet, I have severe brain damage from FUT:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182533-how-barbaric-fut-2.html

Edited by Dutchie

FUT can be barbaric if your wound doesnt heal properly or nerve damage occurs, but in expert hands these occurances may be minimized. !

But the point Sean is that in expert hands it's is not a barbaric procedure, it's really not. I think it's completely outrageous and ludicrous to even equate an FUT procedure with true barbaric acts such as raping, torturing, or murdering other human beings. It's an elective procedure performed very successfully. Everyone who calls this barbaric disrespects the victims of real barbaric acts like the Bostom bombings. Some of those poor souls had their legs and arms ripped off their bodies. What about those people in Syria who had their heads chopped off by ISIS, or those people on 9/11 jumping off the WTC after barbarians deliberately flew planes into them? Are we really comparing an FUT victim with a stretched scar and nerve damage to a rape victim, or a terrorist victim with no legs, or a victim of 9/11 who had no choice but to jump of a building? As a milatary guy, you should know this. I mean no disrespect to you.

I think the word that we are all looking for here is "butcher" as aposed to "Barbarian"

Edited by Stig

Both procedures can become barbaric if performed by a complete hack. We have all witnessed this from Colorado Hair institute. I would trust an fut with Konior, Shapiro, Cooley or any top doctor over an fue with some unknown.

My biggest fear pre-op was the incision. Few guys admit its fear not appearance that causes the most hesitation with FUT.

I can honestly say its the part I've thought about least in post-op. Non-issue.

we're all extremely lucky to have skilled, competent, passionate doctors who perform these surgeries, whether its FUT or FUE, and quite frankly make mega-sessions look easy to perform and relatively pain free - I had more discomfort getting an implant at my dentist's office than with my HT procedure !

Having an HT of any kind in Mexico sounds barbaric enough to me.Everyone has a good point I must say with one exception to the FUE lover that talks about how bad strip scaring is obviously that person has not seen great strip surgeries before and it seems to me that they have only seen FUE patients. Most patients you really have to search for the scar to even see it when done by experienced surgeons .

Both procedures can become barbaric if performed by a complete hack. We have all witnessed this from Colorado Hair institute. I would trust an fut with Konior, Shapiro, Cooley or any top doctor over an fue with some unknown.

Forgot about Dr Boland from Colorado for a minute there. He is the closest thing to a Barbarian I must admit.

Having an HT of any kind in Mexico sounds barbaric enough to me.Everyone has a good point I must say with one exception to the FUE lover that talks about how bad strip scaring is obviously that person has not seen great strip surgeries before and it seems to me that they have only seen FUE patients. Most patients you really have to search for the scar to even see it when done by experienced surgeons .

HairJo, why exactly do you equate Mexican hair transplant surgeons to Barbarians? Do they hack off the heads of patients? I will admit going to Mexico for this type of elective surgery probably isn't the smartest idea in the world, but calling all Mexican surgeons Barbarians seems pretty harsh no? There seems to be a particular Mexican surgeon mentioned recently on this forum who seems to be doing good work and getting rave reviews (the surgeon MrMatt visited).

I agree with the general sentiment that modern hair transplant surgery -- be it via FUE or FUT -- is quite refined. In the realm of surgical procedures -- both necessary and elective -- hair transplants are very tame and minimally invasive. This includes FUT procedures as well.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

All I see is beware did you ever watch BOTCHED . Maybe there are bad doctors everywhere . The country is so unstable do you know who to trust. over there unless you live there and know their top docs I would be careful personally their are parts that are beautiful and safe but being from the US I'll keep my medical care to US docs.

Strip is invasive, but there are still instances where patients are demanding it because of the benefits it provides.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians