When Should You Get Your Second Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

So what do you guys think? I have seen some people get a second procedure after 6 months. Personally, I waited over 12 months each time. Why or why shouldn't you wait? I would love to hear the communities thoughts.

When Can I Get A Second Hair Transplant?

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

My personal opinion is that you should wait for at least 12 months to see exactly what results you have actually achieved regardless of what hair loss stage you are at. If you pull the second trigger too soon you have less of an idea of what your (long term) needs will be.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Even if you have a two step plan to address the front in the first procedure and then the crown in the second procedure I still think you should wait a minimum of 10 months and preferably at least 12 months. If you are doing FUT then you want to wait until you get enough laxity back for the next FUT. If you are doing FUE then you want to make sure any shock loss in the donor area has fully grown back in. You also want to let the frontal area from the first procedure fully grow in, so you can see if you want any touch ups in that area to thicken it. You don't want to end up going back too soon to fill in the crown and then discover 3 months later that you wish you added a few hundred more grafts to the frontal zone.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

If it’s a repair most clinics will ask you to wait more than 12 months. Even for a normal second pass most Drs will say at least 12 months. Definitely worth waiting imho 12 - 18 months. 
Ok some clinics may say they will do another at 9 months but I don’t think it’s a good idea personally. 

I think 1.5 years is best since you have fully reaped the benefits of the prior hair transplant with growth and maturation/thickening. But I think 1 year is the minimum. 

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Just now, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I think 1.5 years is best since you have fully reaped the benefits of the prior hair transplant with growth and maturation/thickening and can plan accordingly. But I think 1 year is the minimum. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators

Great responses guys, there’s guys who think 7 months is enough, personally I think that’s foolish. 

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I’ve seen great 2 and 3 step strategies spaced 6 months apart - however I would have a personal preference of waiting longer. 

Separate zonal areas - anything post op after 6-9 months is feasible 

Second passes addressing the same area - minimum of 18 months post op 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, champybaby said:

24 hours.

View my thread

From what I've seen lots of surgeons say FUE donor recovery time is about 6 months. So if recipient area on both surgeries will be completely different, then there's no harm in getting it in 6 months. But personally I think waiting 12 months is better if you're not in a rush as you will be able to assess results from the first one and if needed you can add more in the weaker areas.
We all know there isn't 100% survival rate, so chances are after 1st HT it won't be perfect.

That's what I'm doing personally anyways.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 2/14/2021 at 1:54 PM, Coady said:

6 months for sure. Why wait? No one likes having bald patches for another 6 months ! 😂

For surgery that has lifelong implications there is never a need for a rush when it comes to a hair transplant.

• Like 1

18 months - since my 'good' result at month 12 turned into a 'great' result at month 18.

It makes no sense to rush it when your body is still processing the surgery. Give it time to heal and wait til you fully understand your result before you go for a second. 

I guess if your first HT was the hairline and the second is going to be the crown, then maybe it's different. 

• Like 2

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

What if it the 2nd FUE was to touch up to a problem that was evident immediately after the 1st hair transplant?  

For example, an initial hairline procedure that had grafts implanted in a straight-line with no micro iregularities in the front.  Would it be ok to add some singles and create some mircro irregularities so to make the hairline softer and more natural.  By six months, I would assume it would be evident to tell if the hairs in the very front of the hairline are singles vs twos, and threes too, as well as their direction/angles.  

I'm not talking about doing a 2nd fue to add density at 6 months, or repairing any other areas such as the crown, but adding some singles to a hairline to make it look more natural.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:03 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great responses guys, there’s guys who think 7 months is enough, personally I think that’s foolish. 

I had my first FUT surgery in December 2020 (focused on the frontal half of scalp). And now I am going back in July 2021 to continue at the back of scalp/crown area. I am a Norwood 6. I don't think it's foolish if you are doing different areas of the scalp. 

Edited by baldiee

On 2/25/2021 at 5:56 AM, TommyLucchese said:

18 months - since my 'good' result at month 12 turned into a 'great' result at month 18.

It makes no sense to rush it when your body is still processing the surgery. Give it time to heal and wait til you fully understand your result before you go for a second. 

I guess if your first HT was the hairline and the second is going to be the crown, then maybe it's different. 

Do you have any comparison pics of 12 months versus 18 months? I’ve seen several people say the same thing but haven’t seen any pictures. 

On 3/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, EvoXOhio said:

Do you have any comparison pics of 12 months versus 18 months? I’ve seen several people say the same thing but haven’t seen any pictures. 

No, I didn't chart my progress with pics but I posted a lot of comments on here which I've since gone back and read. There wasn't new growth but it got thicker and fuller in those final 6 months. 

I have posted some pics recently 9 years post op - search Dr Feller in the search tab to find my thread.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 3/6/2021 at 7:05 AM, qui bono said:

Are you doing another FUT in July? If so has your donor had enough time to heal and your laxity returned?

its been 3 months and my scar and laxity recovery has been really great so far! Like I feel normal, so i can't imagine what 4 more months would look like