Konior: 2x FUT scar fill in using 400 beard grafts

champybaby

Hello everyone:

For those who know me, apologies for being so absent on the forum. If I'm being totally honest, I've been living life to the fullest in Manhattan since my last procedure with Dr. K. I've met some of you in person, and they can attest I haven't had trouble meeting beautiful women since my procedure haha. Dr. K legit changed my life. Sometimes, I randomly email him just that to remind him.

I sincerely do intend to write a thorough write up of my procedures with Dr. K, which includes a 4400 FUT in 2012; 2500 FUT (and some FUE) in 2020 and a 400 graft beard fill in of my two FUT scars. There are some mini previews in my signature below. (Also: here is my hair wet, slicked back POST second; here is the front POST second; here is my crown PRE second; here is crown at 9 months POST second; and here is the best pic I really have of the double FUT scar

I'll get around to posting a review eventually. The short version is I thought I saw full results at about 6-7 months, then 12 months. I now believe 18 months is the full results. Things just kept getting better and better. I love it when I'm with women and they comment on how I "have a full head of hair." It's not something I hear all the time, no — not at ALL, but it is something I've heard several times and it really makes me feel awesome. I was legit bald 10-11 years ago.

Any who. Got a touchup hair cut yesterday and asked my barber to take a pic of the scar fill in from the back. I cannot shave my sides down to a 2, but I can go down to about a 3. Mind you, I've exhausted my FUT supply over two procedures. Dr. K estimates I have another 2500 FUE in reserve, and another 1K-1.5K in beard.

I don't notice any changes in my beard, btw. And it heals INSANELY fast. After 4 days, you could barely tell I did anything unless you got up really close. At the 8 day mark, I'd argue it is impossible to tell anything was done at all. What's fascinating is the hairs grow like regular hairs, I'll post a picture one of these days of what the hairs look like. I know these are beard hairs because A) they are located along the FUT line and B) they are PURE white. Dr. K went out of his way to make sure he didn't use any white beard hairs, but maybe 2-4 of the 400 got through. So they're really easy to spot. They are 100% thicker than my regular hair. But they are very wiry and curly. I can see why they're best used as filler. Def not something you would want on your hairline!

Anyway. Pic below shows FUT line nearly a year out (321 days). LMK if anyone has questions. Also, hi everyone!

IMG-0794.jpg

IMG-0795.jpg

• Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Administrators

Wow that’s a drastic difference, do you mind posting your before pictures. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

35 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Wow that’s a drastic difference, do you mind posting your before pictures. 

Of what? The scar with hair before procedure? If so, I don't have any. It's hard snagging pics of scar. The best one I have is really the one that I linked. I'll take a look. And thanks brother!

• Administrators
On 2/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, champybaby said:

Of what? The scar with hair before procedure? If so, I don't have any. It's hard snagging pics of scar. The best one I have is really the one that I linked. I'll take a look. And thanks brother!

The crown, I know you had an older post, but it’s improved anymore since I remember.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The crown, I know you had an older post, but it’s improved anymore since I remember.

The crown has def improved. I honestly thought peak results were about 7-8 month mark. But rn it's at its best. 18 months is peak, imo, for me at least. I also got one of those brushes that's in the shape of a cylinder and has metal-like spikes on it? Girls use them. It's made a huge difference in taming the crown while giving it max coverage.

EDIT: Also worth keeping in mind ... I take my pics in harsh lighting. It's hard to not judge your hair in non-harsh lighting. The pic at the barber is non-harsh lighting compared to what I linked. (I'll also circle back with a new pic of the crown soon.)

Edited by champybaby

Here is the crown. One is of wet hair, slightly towel dried and the other is of nearly/fully dried hair. Both were brushed using the brush I described (it can also be seen in picture; it's the cylinder shaped one) Unlike all of the other pictures I've shared here, these two were taken in what I would describe as "regular lighting." IMG-0825.thumb.jpg.a808b8f74ce787fe3a98399fb090cfba.jpg

IMG-0827.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, champybaby said:

Here is the crown. One is of wet hair, slightly towel dried and the other is of nearly/fully dried hair. Both were brushed using the brush I described (it can also be seen in picture; it's the cylinder shaped one) Unlike all of the other pictures I've shared here, these two were taken in what I would describe as "regular lighting." IMG-0825.thumb.jpg.a808b8f74ce787fe3a98399fb090cfba.jpg

IMG-0827.jpg

Incredible man, Konior strikes again!

• Like 1

View my thread

3 hours ago, Falconary said:

Your donor looks untouched, atleast at that length. It sure looks you have 5000+ fue left. However Will be exiting to se how well the scar is filled with beard grafts. Are you on fin?

Last I spoke w/ Dr. K, he told me I should have a full head of hair for the rest of my life given my current donor supply, my beard and the fact I take meds. "You did things right" (he said something along those lines). Of course, I'm in that position because of his guidance ... from the first time I consulted w/ him in 2011.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, HairTrippin said:

Did the beard grafts help you camouflage the fut scar more? You obviously know where they were placed, but would the common person be able to tell? Have you thought about smp on the scar 

SMP might be something I consider in the future, when I'm older and perhaps want to keep my hair short. Yes, the beard did help camo the scar. I can't buzz it down to a 1, though I knew that going in.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 7:29 PM, webathon said:

Looks good! Just curious, why did you choose FUT over FUE to start?

The widely accepted logic on this forum and among most doctors is that if you want to maximize your donor area, you should opt for FUT, then FUE. Some disagree with this; I do not. I am a NW6. I need all the grafts I can get for my lifetime.

If I was like a NW3 in my 40s, I'd prob opt for FUE.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 9:20 PM, HelpfulFriend said:

Wow, amazing stuff! Congrats mate, seeing Dr K in November. Nervous but excited.

Just wondering why you had the scars filled in? Were you planning on cutting your hair shorter? Or were they more noticeable than expected?

Cheers :)

My first run w/ doctor K I was nervous; the second time I was so excited. You're in good hands.

Having two FUTs limited how short I could cut the sides. Since it was the pandemic and wfh and all, I thought I'd knock it out shortly after my second procedure.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, champybaby said:

My first run w/ doctor K I was nervous; the second time I was so excited. You're in good hands.

Having two FUTs limited how short I could cut the sides. Since it was the pandemic and wfh and all, I thought I'd knock it out shortly after my second procedure.

Looks great, was your FUTs closed up with stitches or staples? Before the grafts in the scar the shortest you could cut it was a 4?

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2022 at 6:18 PM, HairRun said:

@champybaby

So there was only 4 months in between a FUT and then placing beard grafts into that same FUT scar along with the old one? 

Correct; it was maybe 4-5 months, but yes.

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2022 at 6:52 PM, Festa said:

Looks great, was your FUTs closed up with stitches or staples? Before the grafts in the scar the shortest you could cut it was a 4?

The first time, yes, staples. The second time, no, just stitches. Dr. K explained the why to me when I asked, but I can't recall what he said right now. 

Is there a reason why you had Konior do 2 FUTs only for him to later to a beard graft concealment of the scars? Why wasn't FUE done in the first place? 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

17 minutes ago, mavigo said:

Is there a reason why you had Konior do 2 FUTs only for him to later to a beard graft concealment of the scars? Why wasn't FUE done in the first place? 

please read the thread before asking redundant questions.

• Confused 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 1:41 PM, NikosHair said:

@champybaby How is the scar looking now?

Did you experience any improvements in the texture of the scar?

This thread contains some relevant research which may be of interest.

I've been shaving my sides w/ a 3 lately. Everyone I know says it looks much better with short sides. Mind you, I've had 2 FUTs.

In terms of texture, I can't really feel a difference. It's mostly a visible thing. Very glad I got the FUT filled in.