Has anyone decided to go the hair transplant route without taking Fin or Min, do you have any pictures and advice?

4 hours ago, Hairtroubles said:

Why dont you want to be on Topical Fin anymore?

@InTheSix - thanks, i appreciate the reply, the problem is, i have researched fin, topical fin, probably over 1,000 hours now.  Its gotten to the point i know everything i need to know. 

Its a synthetic drug that seems to have huge problems and side effects.  Ive read too many horror stories, its scary.  I hate this.

I dont know what to do.

Even weaning off seems a problem?

Most, if not all, medical interventions have the possibilities of unintended consequences. its good to research and know about them, but I do think you need to focus on the probabilities of those unintended consequences.. heck, even a hair transplant is not a sure shot... many fail, or not yield the result you want.. even hair system can cause issues..

Dont take this the wrong way.... But I do think your focusing too much on the negatives or the relatively smaller unintended consequences... with that mind frame, the 'only' option you have that will have a 100% success rate.. is to simply shave off your head, and make peace with it... pretty much any other alternative will come with some possibility of unintended consequences, which I dont think you are ready to entertain... 

8 hours ago, InTheSix said:

Most, if not all, medical interventions have the possibilities of unintended consequences. its good to research and know about them, but I do think you need to focus on the probabilities of those unintended consequences.. heck, even a hair transplant is not a sure shot... many fail, or not yield the result you want.. even hair system can cause issues..

Dont take this the wrong way.... But I do think your focusing too much on the negatives or the relatively smaller unintended consequences... with that mind frame, the 'only' option you have that will have a 100% success rate.. is to simply shave off your head, and make peace with it... pretty much any other alternative will come with some possibility of unintended consequences, which I dont think you are ready to entertain... 

Youre right, i agree, so thats what you think I should do then. Shave it.   Like that's the next step for me?  Fack man.  

This sucks. I dunno what to do.  The more I read about Finasteride, the more i see its syntetic chemicals entering the body, and day by day damages DNA and neurons.  This is what i believe is the case.  I dunno what to do man.

I really dont.  Can you help in terms of coming to a decision.

14 hours ago, Hairtroubles said:

Youre right, i agree, so thats what you think I should do then. Shave it.   Like that's the next step for me?  Fack man.  

This sucks. I dunno what to do.  The more I read about Finasteride, the more i see its syntetic chemicals entering the body, and day by day damages DNA and neurons.  This is what i believe is the case.  I dunno what to do man.

I really dont.  Can you help in terms of coming to a decision.

I havent been to a barber in years. I simply buzz my hair for the last 8 or so years.. i know tons of ppl who have gone down tht route and loved it... give it a try, you may just like it.. you dont have anytnin to lose, jus to gain in this strategy...

1 hour ago, InTheSix said:

I havent been to a barber in years. I simply buzz my hair for the last 8 or so years.. i know tons of ppl who have gone down tht route and loved it... give it a try, you may just like it.. you dont have anytnin to lose, jus to gain in this strategy...

I know bro but it feels like i am changing who I am, as a perosn, I love my hair, it makes me look better, I am just too scared of fin.

Why didnt you try fin?

Finasteride definitely depletes your body hair .. I’m an Asian man without much body hair .. after 4 years of being on finasteride .. all the hairs on my arms n legs are pretty gone .. I didn’t even notice it till one day I was looking at myself .. hahah 

still got hair on my head n pubic hair though .. hehehe .. 

On 8/12/2021 at 11:19 PM, Legend007 said:

Finasteride definitely depletes your body hair .. I’m an Asian man without much body hair .. after 4 years of being on finasteride .. all the hairs on my arms n legs are pretty gone .. I didn’t even notice it till one day I was looking at myself .. hahah 

still got hair on my head n pubic hair though .. hehehe .. 

I m just too scared to take Fin, for real. I really am.  

I wish I could, but the stuff I have read, it terrifies me, like seriously.  Even people who come off it after5-6 years, they realise after theyre off things they were experiencing and feeling.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:42 AM, Hairtroubles said:

I m just too scared to take Fin, for real. I really am.  

I wish I could, but the stuff I have read, it terrifies me, like seriously.  Even people who come off it after5-6 years, they realise after theyre off things they were experiencing and feeling.

It’s really quite simple then, just don’t take it. No one is forcing you. 

1 hour ago, Legend007 said:

I wouldn’t take it in ur case .. u had already loss the hair battle ..  it’s not worth the fight anymore.

Why do you say that Legend 007, the thing is, I haven't lost the battle, I could potentially get a hair transplant down the line? I just dont want to take Fin, for real, is that such an issue?

On 8/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, Curious25 said:

It’s really quite simple then, just don’t take it. No one is forcing you. 

But what do I do then, ive been trying to get off forums, and trying to reset my head.  The more people I have spoken to have told me to STAY away from Fin. Like Stay away.

Is it that bad?

Curious - what are my options, for real.

15 hours ago, Hairtroubles said:

But what do I do then, ive been trying to get off forums, and trying to reset my head.  The more people I have spoken to have told me to STAY away from Fin. Like Stay away.

Is it that bad?

Curious - what are my options, for real.

With all respect, you are starting to sound like a stuck record now. 

Read through all the advice you have been given on this thread, write it down, separate it into two categories, of which;

-the advice that involves taking medication, and
-the advice that doesn't involve taking medication. 

You are not IMO a suitable candidate to take finasteride, because your seemingly erratic nature and fear of the drug, will more than likely lead you to an even darker place if you ever were to try it. 

So if you are unable to justify to yourself to attempt to try and take medication - focus on the list of advice from category number 2. 

There is no doubt that medication is the most important part of ones hair restoration journey, in terms of prioritising having as much hair as is possible . . however it is by no means a completely limiting factor if you weren't to choose to take it. Your approach would just have to factor this into consideration. 

Edited by Curious25

23 hours ago, Curious25 said:

With all respect, you are starting to sound like a stuck record now. 

Read through all the advice you have been given on this thread, write it down, separate it into two categories, of which;

-the advice that involves taking medication, and
-the advice that doesn't involve taking medication. 

You are not IMO a suitable candidate to take finasteride, because your seemingly erratic nature and fear of the drug, will more than likely lead you to an even darker place if you ever were to try it. 

So if you are unable to justify to yourself to attempt to try and take medication - focus on the list of advice from category number 2. 

There is no doubt that medication is the most important part of ones hair restoration journey, in terms of prioritising having as much hair as is possible . . however it is by no means a completely limiting factor if you weren't to choose to take it. Your approach would just have to factor this into consideration. 

Yeah, I agree, I do not think I should take Finasteride.  I presume you are also including Topical Fin in this category?

Genuinely.  Everyone seems to rave about it,  most of all, it being the most important part to keeping hair.

I have read every single post here, trust me, and I write everything down.  My options, please add/correct me if I am wrong - if I do not want to take fin - are the following right:

- Do nothing, shave it

- Take Saw Palmetto?

- Potentially just take Minoxidil.  Still classed as medication but safer then Fin?

- Wait for it to get worse, then get a HT, then get another HT.

- Hair systems is something i will not do.

Curious, with all that being said, I believe they are all my choices right?  My options are severely limited when I write this down, right?

When you say "There is no doubt that medication is the most important part of ones hair restoration journey, in terms of prioritising having as much hair as is possible . . however it is by no means a completely limiting factor if you weren't to choose to take it. Your approach would just have to factor this into consideration. "

Im confused, this is what everyone says is the most important part, and if I do not want to take it, HT is a whole new path which may not work out?

Genuinely, what else am I missing here, as I believe they are my options, correct me if I am wrong?

I will write this all down, i appreciate your help.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:13 AM, Hairtroubles said:

- Take Saw Palmetto?

I tried it for 6 months before getting on Fin.  Waste of time, lost ground in those months.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:13 AM, Hairtroubles said:

- Potentially just take Minoxidil.  Still classed as medication but safer then Fin?

Not necessarily.  I had an allergic reaction to min, my skin became extremely irritated.  Even my ears were inflamed.

But as you can see, I gave things a try.  It they didn't work, I stopped.  Everyone is different.  Fin was the only thing that worked for me.  Was I a little psyched out when I started it?  Yeah, but 15 years later it is still keeping the bottom from falling out.  Glad I gave it a try. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 1 month later...

I thought I would update this thread.  I went to see Eva.

She looked at my hairs under the microscope, she said I had a lot of small hairs to play with.  She said she wouldn't prescribe me Fin, but she does make her own Saw Palmetto, with the berry I think she explained.  

However, she said I was not suitable for a transplant, but put me on Min.  I took min for three weeks, and in the third week felt my heart beating non stop, genuinely.  Was in bed and all I could hear was my heart beating that for three days I didn't sleep much and developed some anxiety.  I have been off it now for 5 days. 

I will maybe go back on it after a week of good sleep at half the dose?  This is what she said to me.  

Has anyone else experienced this?   What do you think of the advice?

@Curious25@Melvin- Moderator

It's good she was honest with you and told you what you need to hear, and to be honest, good she didn't prescribe you fin as I don't think you should even touch it at after all you've said, personally (for saving your hair you absolutely should, but psychologically I think it's a no-go for you). 

However, I don't really think it was best of her to then give you minoxidil and SP as it seems she's just trying to keep the hope going that you can 'save' your hair or stabilise loss and ultimately be eligible for a transplant. She knows that minoxidil on it's own is gonna do nothing for your case personally, even if you responded amazingly and saw lot's of re-growth, it would never last long term without addressing androgens. And Saw Palmetto, well, I don't see the point of it really. Better than nothing probably, but still. 

It is possible to experience cardiovascular issues with minoxidil yes, although I don't think it's much of an issue with topical. Could well be your anxiety, who knows, but either way it seems silly you wouldn't try fin but would continue on with something that you're convinced is essentially giving you heart palpitations, whether they're real or not. 

At this point, I think you need to either accept baldness or commit to a HT knowing all the risks and potential outcomes of diving in with a high NW pattern at a young age whilst also being unmedicated. We've all told you what they are in this thread before, so you know them already. But I think you need to just make your choice and move forwards either way, carrying on like this isn't going to do you any favours mentally. 

Maybe contact Eugenix.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

It's good she was honest with you and told you what you need to hear, and to be honest, good she didn't prescribe you fin as I don't think you should even touch it at after all you've said, personally (for saving your hair you absolutely should, but psychologically I think it's a no-go for you). 

However, I don't really think it was best of her to then give you minoxidil and SP as it seems she's just trying to keep the hope going that you can 'save' your hair or stabilise loss and ultimately be eligible for a transplant. She knows that minoxidil on it's own is gonna do nothing for your case personally, even if you responded amazingly and saw lot's of re-growth, it would never last long term without addressing androgens. And Saw Palmetto, well, I don't see the point of it really. Better than nothing probably, but still. 

It is possible to experience cardiovascular issues with minoxidil yes, although I don't think it's much of an issue with topical. Could well be your anxiety, who knows, but either way it seems silly you wouldn't try fin but would continue on with something that you're convinced is essentially giving you heart palpitations, whether they're real or not. 

At this point, I think you need to either accept baldness or commit to a HT knowing all the risks and potential outcomes of diving in with a high NW pattern at a young age whilst also being unmedicated. We've all told you what they are in this thread before, so you know them already. But I think you need to just make your choice and move forwards either way, carrying on like this isn't going to do you any favours mentally. 

Maybe contact Eugenix.

Thanks man,

Guess that is the honest truth isn't it.  I feel less of a man, mentally, losing my hair.  I spoke to a doctor yesterday on the phone, and she begged me to stay away from Finasteride when I mentioned it to her.

Yeah, I stopped minoxidil very quickly, is there any point to even re-try it?  I have read multiple times the hairs do become permanent after 2-3 years on Min?  

So yeah, fin is a no go for me.  Minoxidil, you think I should stay away true or at least be on that?

Also, why Eugenix?  Out of all places, why them for me?

Additionally, I contacted Harley Street Clinic in London who did wayne rooney's appointment, i have an appointment with them.  Any thoughts on it?

51 minutes ago, Hairtroubles said:

Thanks man,

Guess that is the honest truth isn't it.  I feel less of a man, mentally, losing my hair.  I spoke to a doctor yesterday on the phone, and she begged me to stay away from Finasteride when I mentioned it to her.

Yeah, I stopped minoxidil very quickly, is there any point to even re-try it?  I have read multiple times the hairs do become permanent after 2-3 years on Min?  

So yeah, fin is a no go for me.  Minoxidil, you think I should stay away true or at least be on that?

Additionally, I contacted Harley Street Clinic in London who did wayne rooney's appointment, i have an appointment with them.  Any thoughts on it?

Really, a Dr begged you to stay away from fin? Seems strange, but either way it's a moot point as I don't think it's for you with all of the preconceived ideas and fears you have in your mind around it. 

No, the hairs do not become permanent, your hair is already quite miniaturised which is a direct result of gene expression and the cascade of events this induces to cause miniaturisation, the root cause of said expression being androgens. Minoxidil is a potassium channel opener, it helps to grow hair through poorly understood mechanisms, but doesn't do anything to address androgenic activity, so they will always win the fight no question if left unchecked. It doesn't really hurt to try though, it's just topical minoxidil, well, I would say that usually, but you say it's affecting your heart. 

Eugenix are good with higher NW levels which you already are now and will most likely continue to progress through since you're not going to use meds ever. Harley street are a somewhat sub-par, at best mediocre clinic that I would never let touch my head. Make of that what you will.

Honestly, I don't really think you should get surgery right now, if ever. You seem like a very anxious person, no offence, and I don't know if you would cope if things didn't go your way, or if you ran out of donor and didn't like the way you looked and so on. 

That's just my opinion though, if you want to go ahead, then you need to pick clinics/doctors that are good with high NW's long term planning. Problem is that most Dr's (at least that I would personally recommend) won't touch you as you're not gonna take meds and you have aggressive loss. Some will though.

1 hour ago, Hairtroubles said:

Eugenix excel in the higher Norwood levels. Nobody in the Uk does In my honest opinion. And most certainly not Harley Street Clinic. You want a ethical/decent clinic and that would be either Eugenix, HDC @DrTBarghouthijust for some examples. They will give you good feedback. You can consult with them through the forum virtually. The forum have given you some excellent advice in all of your threads, I can’t really add anything. 

Edited by JohnAC71

Actually I’m just repeating myself. I already gave my thoughts about Harley street in a reply to you months ago. I also gave you some good choices of clinics. I think you should go back and read the thread from the start as we are all going round in circles now. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, 

I have written down all the HT clinics you recommend.  These are: Dr Bisanga, Dr. Bruno Pinto, Dr. Ximena Villa, Dr. Bruno Ferreira, Dr. Lupanzula, Dr. Feriduini, Dr. Rafael De Freitas, Dr. Couto, Dr. Lorenzo, HLC, Dr. Mwamba, Eugenix and HDC off the top of my head.

Who is @DrTBarghouthi- can I have a chat with him and get his feedback?  What clinic is he a part of?

Should I contact Eugenix as well?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Hairtroubles said:

Thanks man,

You are not mentally stable enough for surgery. That’s the cold hard truth. The truth is you may end up with net gain. You’re a HUGE risk to take on as a patient. Imagine getting surgery and only slightly improving. That’s a real possibility. Users may recommend clinics, but I’ve seen cases like this before and it’s not in your best interest. Perhaps down the line when you’re no longe losing hair at the same rate, or when you use some form of preventative measure like dutasteride and mesotherapy or something. Anyone who would perform surgery on you like this is after your money.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

mesotherapy

Come on man, I m not sure if i agree on that, if I wait for my hair to get worse then get HT it might be an option, surely?

I can handle surgery, why wouldnt I be okay, its pills that scare me...?

Also what is mesotherapy - does that work?