Has anyone decided to go the hair transplant route without taking Fin or Min, do you have any pictures and advice?

Hi there,

I am close to booking a hair transplant and do not want to go down the path of taking Fin or Min.  Has anyone here gone this route and I was wondering if you documented your journey, or have pictures of the progress?  Please do share as much as possible and any advice is appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what went wrong in this guys transplant as this kind of scares me:  

The post you shared appears to be a guy who went to a surgeon who made a poor decision as far as planning goes. 2500 grafts for the entire scalp. Of course it was going to come out thin and sparse.

With regards to not taking medication, it all depends how bad your hair loss actually is, your family's history of loss, etc. If you are someone who knows more loss is in your future you basically have to go into a first surgery knowing full well you will be back for another, and likely another after that. Unless you want to get creative and do something like wearing a system for just the crown, or behind the hairline, etc. There are options. 

• Like 1

Crikey.  I dont even know which pictures of his are after the opp, is it the first ones or later ones.  My mum's dad had very bad balding, but my dad right now has some good hair (60 years old and I would be happy with his hair), however, I presume it's all from the mums side right?

This is my current state:

Sunday June 20th.jpeg

1.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

donor.jpeg

Yeah, as @SD1984said, the post you shared was just the result of an awful surgeon. This is what can and often does happen when people blindly pick any old doctor; looks like terrible planning (nowhere near enough grafts and spread out over a huge area) combined with a high NW starting point and probably also a lack of growth. 

As for you, you're undoubtedly destined to be a NW5 or 6 as you have diffuse thinning all over the top of your scalp, without meds, this is just going to disappear completely over time. Maybe you'll keep that very frontal tuft, but that's about all I would imagine may stay. Also looks as though you may have retrograde on the nape of your neck which effectively would make your donor zone smaller and mean you have less overall grafts to give.

I would strongly reconsider going ahead without meds.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:13 AM, JDEE0 said:

Yeah, as @SD1984said, the post you shared was just the result of an awful surgeon. This is what can and often does happen when people blindly pick any old doctor; looks like terrible planning (nowhere near enough grafts and spread out over a huge area) combined with a high NW starting point and probably also a lack of growth. 

As for you, you're undoubtedly destined to be a NW5 or 6 as you have diffuse thinning all over the top of your scalp, without meds, this is just going to disappear completely over time. Maybe you'll keep that very frontal tuft, but that's about all I would imagine may stay. Also looks as though you may have retrograde on the nape of your neck which effectively would make your donor zone smaller and mean you have less overall grafts to give.

I would strongly reconsider going ahead without meds.

Hey man, I was cooking when I read this and got quite down, mainly because I feel like I had a plan (getting a hair transplant), and maybe one again 5 years after that.  I didn't think I would be destined to a 5 or 6 tbh.  I am just so terrified of Fin, I swear to god, I spent too much time on Reddit and Tressless, even got added to a post-finasteride group, im freaking  terrified of it.

Is there anyway I can go about this in your opinion without meds.  I play sports at a high level, wouldn't fin affect me massively.  Also suffer with anxiety and other problems which I feel Fin will bring out.

I just am not sure if I am ready for that, and that it could cause more problems.

Also, why do you think I am getting Retrograde, how are you able to tell that from just my pictures?

He's saying retrograde because it's there. Slight thinning at the neck area. What's the hair like above your ears? Can you take some photos of the sides?

But if you want to feel better, I have retrograde at my neck area and on my sides, AND I have hair loss just as bad as you, AND I cannot take Fin due to sides, AND I have bad family hair loss history So, I feel your pain. Retrograde is common. It's not the end of the world by any means. It just cuts down on donor. So, in cases like ours, going the surgical route with NO meds, big future loss in store AND limited donor, is going to be an uphill battle to say the least. That doesn't mean people like you or I can't win the war. Like I said, it can be done, but it's definitely not the most preferred route and any ethical surgeons will advise you of all the negatives associated with this route. I've had several top Hair transplant doctors tell me that they would in fact be fine with performing surgery on me with no meds so long as I understood that I'd be back for a future surgery, or two. Me personally, I'll probably consider a hair system behind a transplanted hairline first. I'm open to many options.

How old are you btw? I'd say your donor has a capacity of around 5500 just based off of photos and I agree it looks like you're destined for Norwood 5 or 6, more than likely 5. 

Edited by SD1984

15 hours ago, Hairtroubles said:

Hey man, I was cooking when I read this and got quite down, mainly because I feel like I had a plan (getting a hair transplant), and maybe one again 5 years after that.  I didn't think I would be destined to a 5 or 6 tbh.  I am just so terrified of Fin, I swear to god, I spent too much time on Reddit and Tressless, even got added to a post-finasteride group, im fucking terrified of it.

Is there anyway I can go about this in your opinion without meds.  I play sports at a high level, wouldn't fin affect me massively.  Also suffer with anxiety and other problems which I feel Fin will bring out.

I just am not sure if I am ready for that, and that it could cause more problems.

Also, why do you think I am getting Retrograde, how are you able to tell that from just my pictures?

Sorry man, I of course don't get any joy out of making you feel down. I think we all here know how depressing losing hair can be, but it's in your best interests to see the objective reality of things.

I of course cannot see into the future, so I have no idea of where you will end up, but take a look at the second picture you posted... If you're honest with yourself, I think you'll come to the same conclusion that you're already showing a clearly evident pattern of a higher NW. Which, if we're being blunt again, really means that you should be classed as such already, yes you're not technically there yet, but it's clear to see where things are going; that miniaturised hair is only going to continue to do exactly that. 

The good news is that some of that hair on the top of your scalp still looks relatively healthy and terminal, and you could potentially see some re-growth or increase in density with meds. The bad news is that you've self-admittedly confessed that you're terrified and are even frequent PFS forums/groups without ever having touched the drug...

I don't even think I would recommend you trying finasteride until you get a more balanced view of reality. You've hung around in echo chambers where you've convinced yourself that you're going to suffer irreversible side effects as a result of taking the drug, which is just nonsense and is in no way backed up by science. I would usually recommend people to take it and if they truly feel they are getting some sides, then discontinue. No problem, everything will go back to normal upon cessation. But I feel as though you would just nocebo yourself into a bad state. 

To be honest, I would make a start by getting away from any forums that aren't purely knowledge/information based such as this one, most are no good for your mental state. Then, instead of reading anecdote after anecdote about how fin somehow is responsible for everything bad in these peoples lives, go and read the actual long term clinical studies that are backed up by science, have placebo control groups etc... you'll be able to see how things actually are in reality, what side effects actually came up in a sample size of thousands of men, how severe they were, whether they had to discontinue and also how similar experiences of the placebo groups were.

Finasteride can of course have side effects, I don't think any rational person would ever dispute this. It's going to change your hormonal profile to some extent; test levels, estrogen levels etc will change somewhat, there are probably very small alterations to neurosteroid levels etc etc. But, generally speaking, the changes these make to the vast majority of users will be so subtle that they have no noticeable effect. Hence why actual studies show incidence of side effects to be pretty low, and generally similar to placebo. 

In any case, the point is that you stop taking the drug, the 5a-r enzyme commences to be produced at normal levels, T will convert into DHT at a normal rate again and you'll go back to normal. It's not perfect, but it's the best we've got for now. This is why I hate people who fearmonger and say don't try fin, it's so dangerous etc. Yes, it's possible to get sides with it if you're unlucky. So what? If this happens, just stop and you'll be fine. I don't really understand what the big risk is, this completely irrational narrative that trying it is like playing Russian roulette has been created by very obscure/underground groups of people with a confirmation bias online, when in reality, hundreds of millions of men have taken Finasteride or Dutasteride over the course of a number of decades at this point.

Just start looking objectively at facts from properly controlled scientific studies with no agenda, rather than anecdotal evidence from what is a very, very small and specific sample size of users (vehemently anti fin online forum dwellers) out of the tens and tens of millions of men, if not more, currently ingesting the drug into their bodies every day.

I don't understand why fin would affect your sports performance in any way, no. Also, tresses is an awful place for the most part.

I'm not saying you definitely do have retrograde, I'm just saying from that last picture it looks like you might to my eyes at least; I can see a difference in density unless its just the angle you took the pic at. You need to have your scalp looked at by a competent dr.

To answer your question of can you go ahead without, of course you could. but you're most definitely going to lose the rest of the hair on the top of your scalp in my opinion as it's already miniaturised/diffusely thinned pretty severely, why would it just stop? Beyond that, I don't know, maybe your sides and crown would never drop into a NW6/7 and a NW5 or so is your final pattern, but I have no way of knowing. I assume you're fairly young and probably have 50+ years of life left to live. They very well might do, that's a long time (granted I think there will be a large number of additional treatments way way before 50 years passes, and probably a cure by that point, but for now you have to assume that what we have now is all we will have to be safe).

It's just so naive to say ah I'll get it done and do nothing to prevent further loss, especially when you're experiencing hair loss severely like yourself, you'll probably run out of donor hair and have to chase hair transplants for the next 10 or 15 years until you do. 

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

Sorry man, I of course don't get any joy out of making you feel down. I think we all here know how depressing losing hair can be, but it's in your best interests to see the objective reality of things.

I of course cannot see into the future, so I have no idea of where you will end up, but take a look at the second picture you posted... If you're honest with yourself, I think you'll come to the same conclusion that you're already showing a clearly evident pattern of a higher NW. Which, if we're being blunt again, really means that you should be classed as such already, yes you're not technically there yet, but it's clear to see where things are going; that miniaturised hair is only going to continue to do exactly that. 

The good news is that some of that hair on the top of your scalp still looks relatively healthy and terminal, and you could potentially see some re-growth or increase in density with meds. The bad news is that you've self-admittedly confessed that you're terrified and are even frequent PFS forums/groups without ever having touched the drug...

I don't even think I would recommend you trying finasteride until you get a more balanced view of reality. You've hung around in echo chambers where you've convinced yourself that you're going to suffer irreversible side effects as a result of taking the drug, which is just nonsense and is in no way backed up by science. I would usually recommend people to take it and if they truly feel they are getting some sides, then discontinue. No problem, everything will go back to normal upon cessation. But I feel as though you would just nocebo yourself into a bad state. 

To be honest, I would make a start by getting away from any forums that aren't purely knowledge/information based such as this one, most are no good for your mental state. Then, instead of reading anecdote after anecdote about how fin somehow is responsible for everything bad in these peoples lives, go and read the actual long term clinical studies that are backed up by science, have placebo control groups etc... you'll be able to see how things actually are in reality, what side effects actually came up in a sample size of thousands of men, how severe they were, whether they had to discontinue and also how similar experiences of the placebo groups were.

Finasteride can of course have side effects, I don't think any rational person would ever dispute this. It's going to change your hormonal profile to some extent; test levels, estrogen levels etc will change somewhat, there are probably very small alterations to neurosteroid levels etc etc. But, generally speaking, the changes these make to the vast majority of users will be so subtle that they have no noticeable effect. Hence why actual studies show incidence of side effects to be pretty low, and generally similar to placebo. 

In any case, the point is that you stop taking the drug, the 5a-r enzyme commences to be produced at normal levels, T will convert into DHT at a normal rate again and you'll go back to normal. It's not perfect, but it's the best we've got for now. This is why I hate people who fearmonger and say don't try fin, it's so dangerous etc. Yes, it's possible to get sides with it if you're unlucky. So what? If this happens, just stop and you'll be fine. I don't really understand what the big risk is, this completely irrational narrative that trying it is like playing Russian roulette has been created by very obscure/underground groups of people with a confirmation bias online, when in reality, hundreds of millions of men have taken Finasteride or Dutasteride over the course of a number of decades at this point.

Just start looking objectively at facts from properly controlled scientific studies with no agenda, rather than anecdotal evidence from online forum posters. 

I don't understand why fin would affect your sports performance in any way, no. Also, tresses is an awful place for the most part.

I'm not saying you definitely do have retrograde, I'm just saying from that last picture it looks like you might to my eyes at least; I can see a difference in density unless its just the angle you took the pic at. You need to have your scalp looked at by a competent dr.

To answer your question of can you go ahead without, of course you could. but you're most definitely going to lose the rest of the hair on the top of your scalp in my opinion as it's already miniaturised/diffusely thinned pretty severely, why would it just stop? Beyond that, I don't know, maybe your sides and crown would never drop into a NW6/7 and a NW5 or so is your final pattern, but I have no way of knowing. I assume you're fairly young and probably have 50+ years of life left to live. They very well might do, that's a long time (granted I think there will be a large number of additional treatments way way before 50 years passes, and probably a cure by that point, but for now you have to assume that what we have now is all we will have to be safe).

It's just so naive to say ah I'll get it done and do nothing to prevent further loss, especially when you're experiencing hair loss severely like yourself, you'll probably run out of donor hair and have to chase hair transplants for the next 10 or 15 years until you do. 

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

2 hours ago, baldbandito said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

No problem, and to OP: apart from trying your best to take a step back and realise that finasteride isn't going to ruin your life if you try it, you should contact some elite HT surgeons, but key word here being elite (and ethical). No hair mills, whether that be in Turkey or anywhere else, as (apart from the fact they will probably ruin your donor and give you a poor result) they'll just accept you and tell you what you want to hear. if you look through my post history, you'll see some Dr's that I would recommend. 

Send them over as much info/pics as you can, explain your situation and see what they advise. Lot's of people do get HT's without taking meds, so I'm not saying all hope is lost, just that things would be much more favourable if you could/would take them. Dr's like Bisanga now actually prescribe a lot of Oral Minoxidil with a topical fin/dut. Maybe this is is something you would feel more comfortable with at a low dose, I don't know. Be proactive and see what your options are with them. 

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

I would like to second a lot of what JDEEO wrote re: Finasteride.

To the OP: if you can get in a better state of mind to try it, it can be a very effective drug. I take it on a low dose, and I don't like some of the side effects, but I realised that I can tolerate it on a low dose, and it still benefits my hair. Nothing is perfect, I had times where I got caught up reading horror stories on forums and I freaked out and stopped taking it. Sometimes I was off it for 6 months to a year. I might stop it one day, but for now, it is working for me. 

My hairloss is quite advanced, but it is a less common type of diffuse hair loss where I keep my hairline intact. I am booked in for a transplant at the end of the year (so I don't accept my fate entirely!). Check out my pics and my original post here. I am hoping for good results given that I have relatively coarse and wavy hair but my strange diffuse thinning will be tricky. Your hair also seems moderately coarse (?) this could give you good aesthetic results in a transplant - make sure to enquire with a number of surgeons for advice and guidance on your next steps. 

Oh, and.... I was not sure what retrograde (alopecia?) was, but thanks JDEEO for freaking me the fk out! 😅 

Edited by victormaitland

Hey man. 

It would be nice to know your age. 

Also I think you did yourself a favour and took pics under a very bright light. 

U are surely a NW5 in my humble opinion. 

No point in denials. But its OK man. Thing is without the meds your crown thinning will eventualy hug your midscalp and front thining. 

As somebody also said, maybe some of that native hair will stay over there. 

I do hope that you were thinking about FUT. Took me a long time to break it through. 

On the positive side, there is ofc no 100% guarantee, but pulling those hairs by utilising strip could mean that you are taking good FUs that may have better oportunities to battle DHT in your future

Need your age to help answer your question more accurately. 

In a nutshell however, patients who aren’t looking to progress beyond a NW6, who have realistic expectations, and at least 5000 available grafts from their scalp donor, and 1500-3000 from beard and chest donor . . are more or less ok to pursue multiple hair transplants without medication over the course of their lifetime, under good surgeons hands. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, Curious25 said:

Need your age to help answer your question more accurately. 

In a nutshell however, patients who aren’t looking to progress beyond a NW6, who have realistic expectations, and at least 5000 available grafts from their scalp donor, and 1500-3000 from beard and chest donor . . are more or less ok to pursue multiple hair transplants without medication over the course of their lifetime, under good surgeons hands. 

Hey, thanks for your message, I could really use some positive feedback, please.  I actually think I have fallen into some depression here, no joke.  I have had multiple chats with hair transplant clinics and I just feel like I am not under the best hands.  I am 29 years old, almost 30.

Please - if you can help me with this, I would gratefully appreciate this, as I do not know what exactly to do to be honest right now.  I am in London, do you recommend any clinics or people here, as I contacted Harley Street, but saw negative reviews?

On 7/19/2021 at 2:26 PM, gradina22 said:

Hey man. 

It would be nice to know your age. 

Also I think you did yourself a favour and took pics under a very bright light. 

U are surely a NW5 in my humble opinion. 

No point in denials. But its OK man. Thing is without the meds your crown thinning will eventualy hug your midscalp and front thining. 

As somebody also said, maybe some of that native hair will stay over there. 

I do hope that you were thinking about FUT. Took me a long time to break it through. 

On the positive side, there is ofc no 100% guarantee, but pulling those hairs by utilising strip could mean that you are taking good FUs that may have better oportunities to battle DHT in your future

Hey man, 29, and I definitely am not a NW5 (just googled it), but yeah, its somewhat bad.  Feeling pretty depressed by this all, haven't really left my house, terrified of fin and not sure what to do.

How do I approach this, for real?

I’m also from the Uk. In no particular order we have Dr Arshad, Dr Reddy, Dr Ball and Dr Farjo. I would not consider any others. And I have had over a decades worth of research here. Personally I think Europe is a worthwhile consideration for us. Since we then can add the elite Drs/Clinics. Dr Bisanga, Dr De Freitas etc.

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

I’m also from the Uk. In no particular order we have Dr Arshad, Dr Reddy, Dr Ball and Dr Farjo. I would not consider any others. And I have had over a decades worth of research here. Personally I think Europe is a worthwhile consideration for us. Since we then can add the elite Drs/Clinics. Dr Bisanga, Dr De Freitas etc.

Hi man, thanks for the message, may I ask why those, and also, Dr. Bisanga is impossible to contact, I have tried through his website and everything to no avail, any advice on this?

Have you heard of Harley Street?

On 7/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, JDEE0 said:

No problem, and to OP: apart from trying your best to take a step back and realise that finasteride isn't going to ruin your life if you try it, you should contact some elite HT surgeons, but key word here being elite (and ethical). No hair mills, whether that be in Turkey or anywhere else, as (apart from the fact they will probably ruin your donor and give you a poor result) they'll just accept you and tell you what you want to hear. if you look through my post history, you'll see some Dr's that I would recommend. 

Send them over as much info/pics as you can, explain your situation and see what they advise. Lot's of people do get HT's without taking meds, so I'm not saying all hope is lost, just that things would be much more favourable if you could/would take them. Dr's like Bisanga now actually prescribe a lot of Oral Minoxidil with a topical fin/dut. Maybe this is is something you would feel more comfortable with at a low dose, I don't know. Be proactive and see what your options are with them. 

Hey man, 

I was going to dm you, but might as well message here.  Can you please help me come up with a list of the best HT clinics or people in Europe/England, so I can do this properly.  So far I contacted Kensington Clinic and Harley Street.  Someone else posted: Dr Arshad, Dr Reddy, Dr Ball and Dr Farjo.

Bisanga - almost impossible to contact, even sent him a LinkedIn message to no reply.  How do I contact him?

Mate - I am literally asking you for help, I will do what needs to be done but I Need help here, I am working a very busy job, depressed not living my job, and I just feel depressed now. Genuinely.

1 minute ago, Hairtroubles said:

Hi man, thanks for the message, may I ask why those, and also, Dr. Bisanga is impossible to contact, I have tried through his website and everything to no avail, any advice on this?

Have you heard of Harley Street?

Yes I have and I’m not impressed. The Drs/Clinics I mentioned could be worth considering. But I would place Dr Bisanga as in my top 3 worldwide. 
Have you tried the forums virtual consultation?

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/Belgium/Christian-Bisanga/667

5 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Yes I have and I’m not impressed. The Drs/Clinics I mentioned could be worth considering. But I would place Dr Bisanga as in my top 3 worldwide. 
Have you tried the forums virtual consultation?

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/Belgium/Christian-Bisanga/667

This is actually so frustrating, haha, no joke, I just filled that all in, attached all my pictures, wrote a little story, pressed submit - and it just says 'initialising', and then freezes.  Seriously, getting beyond frustrated trying to contact Bisanga, is there an actual way to do this cuz I really would like to.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:13 PM, JDEE0 said:

Just start looking objectively at facts from properly controlled scientific studies with no agenda, rather than anecdotal evidence from what is a very, very small and specific sample size of users (vehemently anti fin online forum dwellers) out of the tens and tens of millions of men, if not more, currently ingesting the drug into their bodies every day.

Thanks man, messaged you privately.  

Also - the thing that scares me with fin is that people report sides literally after 2-3 years of taking it, one guy couldn't sleep and knows its the pill as he had never any sleeping problems, was averaging 5 hours of sleep a week.