2500 grafts, Youtuber: Gregory Gaige. Mediocre result?

Am I to critical, or do I have unrealistic expectations of hair transplants? To me it looks like a quite bad result: 

He is really happy with it, what is good of course :).

Edited by alex1985

I believe his hairline was not constructed properly and was created very straight with improper frontal density. This is really only evident when he exposes his hairline which gives off that "hair transplant" type look.

• Like 1

He's at the 9.5 month mark in this video. He might have more growth but probably not much.

The hairline is too straight for my taste and I would want more density. It looks really thin when wet. But he says he loves his transplant. And that's what matters. Good on him!

• Like 1

This does not look like 2500 grafts to me.

Given the comparison with immediate post op, I would say he has had excellent yield.

But in general, yes I do think you have unrealistic expectations lol. I remember you made a recent thread where you worried about a single graft not growing.

Edited by giegnosiganoe
  • Like 1

Doesn't look like 2500 grafts, but certainly not a bad result. 9.5 months in and the textures of his hair don't match yet, but in a another 6-9 months at full density and the hair starts to mimic the natural hair texture it will be fine for someone like him. He doesn't look it, but he's in his early/mid 30s and I doubt he has extensive loss incoming with such minimal recession. 

Edited by TrialAcc

This is a *terrible* result and anyone that says otherwise doesn't have a clue. Macro design is totally unnatural and as others have said the graft number looks overstated.

Probably not the worlds most difficult repair, but I guarantee most surgeons on this network would acknowledge that this is a poor result and whoever did the work is incompetent. 

OP, based on this post alone you absolutely do not have unrealistic expectations. There are plenty of surgeons on this network that would never put out a result like this.  Bad yield is one thing, below par density in placement and straight lines that border on feminine hairlines are another.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JayLDD said:

This is a *terrible* result and anyone that says otherwise doesn't have a clue. Macro design is totally unnatural and as others have said the graft number looks overstated.

Probably not the worlds most difficult repair, but I guarantee most surgeons on this network would acknowledge that this is a poor result and whoever did the work is incompetent. 

OP, based on this post alone you absolutely do not have unrealistic expectations. There are plenty of surgeons on this network that would never put out a result like this.  Bad yield is one thing, below par density in placement and straight lines that border on feminine hairlines are another.

I wouldn't say it borders on feminine. It's a straight line across which is a NW1. It's a totally normal hairline to have for a male.

And feminine hairlines aren't straight lines they're rounded

I regretted clicking the video, because it is just another youtuber with an awful pluggy hairline, that he probably got endorsement for. He doesn't even know it is pluggy, nor apparently his audience, so good for him. I do however think it falsely promotes unnatural work, so his audience runs off and gets it done, until they realise they want a repair. 

• Like 3

This is why you never should trust youtubers. Horrible hairline design (macro and micro), low density, poor extraction pattern...most users of this forum know better than this clinic. 

The worst thing: The average Joe will not even understand and take this for a good result...

• Like 3

I think is a good result when it comes to graft survive rate. But when it comes to hairline naturality it could improve a lot. If he likes to wear his hair on front, covering the hairline as he shows in the videos then is ok.

• Moderators
On 5/2/2021 at 2:42 AM, SadMan2021 said:

do people think his transplant is curly because it that's how the donor area hair is, or could doctor/tech error have anything to do with that? Is there any way that can be fixed?

It is curly for two reasons:

1. because it was naturally curly when it was growing in the donor area (he says his donor area is curly, so I'm assuming that is true)

2. Transplanted hair usually is more curly or wiry the first 1 to 2 years until it softens up and straightens out more.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I saw in one of his initial videos where He insisted on a straight line hairline even though the Vinci clinic guys said otherwise..

He got exactly what he wanted..

Looks very unnatural but as long as he is happy..Not an ideal role model for guys considering hair transplant..

• Like 1

• Administrators

I don’t think it looks horrible, but it could be better. I’m gonna guess he’s promoting some hair mill. Are your expectations too high? Depends, have you seen my “illusion of density” thread? If not, have a look and decide for yourself.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.