3000 grafts FUE by Dr.Hasson

Ben123

Hi, been reading posts here for a while before deciding to go ahead with a hair transplant so would like to post my progress as it helped me to go ahead with it.

Initially was quoted 4000 grafts FUT with an online consultant for my hairline and crown area but when I arrived for the procedure and Dr.Hasson examined my head he suggested to focus only on the hairline because in the crown I didn't have any empy bald spots only miniaturized hairs and said it would be a mistake to transplant there right now. Instead a better option would be to keep taking finasteride (started taking 4 months before surgery and 0 side effects) as he believes it will thicken up most of the miniaturized hairs in my crown. He also suggested I do 3000 FUE instead as the healing is better with no linear scar plus he said my donor area is very good with over 100 hairs per cm2. From what I remember he said I have about 5000 grafts left for future procedures if I need any.

Transplant hair graft count:

1 : 300

2: 2277

3:468

20201127_160058.jpg

20201127_160121.jpg

20201127_160138.jpg

DSCF5286.JPG

20201127_160201.jpg

DSCF5281.JPG

DSCF5351.JPG

DSCF5366.JPG

Screenshot_20201127-160634_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-160941_Gallery.jpg

20201127_160315.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-161713_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-161609_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-162014_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-162617_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-162750_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-162921_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Oh oh.. a case where a very reputable doctor advised a young patient to consider FUE over FUT.. this should rally a few people up. 

Hopefully not . . With 100 grafts cm2 this guys napper is literally designed to be FUE’d the hell out of !! 😂 

This result is going to be amazing - please update regularly. 

Edited by Curious25

2 weeks update. Recipient area is still mostly numb. What do you guys think of the density? I'm pretty sure its over 50 hairs per cm2 but I forgot what Dr.Hasson said it was. Also my native hair above the transplant seems to have a lot of hairs that barely grew out since the surgery is this normal?

20201130_135149.jpg

20201130_135118.jpg

20201130_134926.jpg

20201130_135000.jpg

20201130_134336.jpg

20201130_135048.jpg

• Administrators

Wow that density is incredible, man I hope you keep us updated, this is gonna be good 😁

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 days update, I've seen minimal shedding roughly 5-20 hairs until today where heavier shedding started around 100 atleast while washing my hair so I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones that don't shed lol. Also seen a bit of shedding from my donor area while washing with my hands there is that normal?

Adding two extra pictures, 1 of natural lit room instead of the strong bathroom light and 1 zoomed in picture of my native hair behind the transplant hairs where I seem to have a lot of hairs that didn't grow since they were buzzed for the operation or grew at a much slower rate than the rest of my native hairs (from behind the transplant all the way back to the crown) is that common after a hair transplant or should I be worried? The response from the clinic was "Hair regrowth can be a bit slower after surgery but it will return to normal regrowth rates over the next few months." I would appreciate any input from you guys on how it was for you in that regard after your hair transplant as I am a bit concerned over that since it's looking worse than it did when I buzzed my hair to that length a few months before the surgery. 

20201206_154413.jpg

20201206_151819.jpg

20201206_152034.jpg

20201206_151938.jpg

20201206_151912.jpg

20201206_145613.jpg

My guess would be a combination of competition for blood supply with compromised vascularity (new hairs have been added and your scalp tissue just got ravaged) and maybe some possible shock loss. You won't know if it's the latter for a bit longer though, and in those areas I wouldn't expect it to be permanent.

The density in the front looks really good. Very dense packed. Looks like you may be a late shedder or minimal shedder. I shed a bit when I removed my scabs but not a lot  After that was minimal shedding until at the 1 month mark I was shampooing with a bit more pressure to cleanup some dry areas on the scalp and I noticed a lot of hair shed.  Are you being very gentle when shampooing? If yes, that may be the reason unless you are indeed a luckyinimal shedder.

I had a lot hair transplanted between native hair so I wasn't even sure if it was native hair shock loss. Like you not all my hair grew at same pace. It could either be due to surgery but the other thing is each hair has its own cycle so not all hair is always in the growth phase. So when hair is shaved down it is more apparrent in the first month or so as opposed to when hair is longer cause everything is camouflaged and you can't really see what's longer. Were you thinning in the middle front area that you may have noticed prior to surgery? What is your family history of hairloss? Are you on any meds? 

Edited by deitel130

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

My guess would be a combination of competition for blood supply with compromised vascularity (new hairs have been added and your scalp tissue just got ravaged) and maybe some possible shock loss. You won't know if it's the latter for a bit longer though, and in those areas I wouldn't expect it to be permanent.

I hope so it doesn't look that bad under normal light but I hope in a few months it will all grow back to how it was.

2 hours ago, deitel130 said:

The density in the front looks really good. Very dense packed. Looks like you may be a late shedder or minimal shedder. I shed a bit when I removed my scabs but not a lot  After that was minimal shedding until at the 1 month mark I was shampooing with a bit more pressure to cleanup some dry areas on the scalp and I noticed a lot of hair shed.  Are you being very gentle when shampooing? If yes, that may be the reason unless you are indeed a luckyinimal shedder.

I had a lot hair transplanted between native hair so I wasn't even sure if it was native hair shock loss. Like you not all my hair grew at same pace. It could either be due to surgery but the other thing is each hair has its own cycle so not all hair is always in the growth phase. So when hair is shaved down it is more apparrent in the first month or so as opposed to when hair is longer cause everything is camouflaged and you can't really see what's longer. Were you thinning in the middle front area that you may have noticed prior to surgery? What is your family history of hairloss? Are you on any meds? 

Thank you It's a lot of grafts for the frontal hairline so I really hope it will have close to 100% survival rate as Dr.Hasson expects it to have and grow a thick and natural hairline for many many years lol. I also had a few hairs come out when working the scabs out, from day 7-10 I was using medium pressure after running water for about 10 minutes prior to using shampoo and after day 10 started using regular pressure, had 95% of scabs off by day 11 but only had few hairs come out until today while still using regular pressure while shampooing. 

I'm hoping it's just uneven growth and will try not to worry about it and let it grow for a few months. I haven't noticed any thinning on the mid front only at the crown and front will attach a photo of the area prior to surgery.

Meds wise I'm on finasteride 4 months prior to surgery taking 1.25 3 times a week and just increased it to 5 times a week since I had 0 side effects. Dr.Hasson recommends I take it every day but I'll ease into it. Was also using rogain for about a year and in the last 6 months only used it once a day had to stop 3 weeks prior to surgery and Dr.Hasson isn't a big fan of minoxidil and I'm also not a fan it was drying out my skin and hair while not really seeing any improvements so according to his recommendation I stayed off minoxidil (was using it only on the crown on the side with more thinning) and focusing on finasteride. Also using nizoral shampoo once a week.

Screenshot_20201206-202207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201206-202132_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ben123

If you have no symptoms stay on the Finasteride. It should make a big difference in retaining your native hair. I would not worry about the middle where hair is growing at different rate. The Finasteride should help if there is any miniaturization.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Ben123 said:

20 days update, I've seen minimal shedding roughly 5-20 hairs until today where heavier shedding started around 100 atleast while washing my hair so I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones that don't shed lol. Also seen a bit of shedding from my donor area while washing with my hands there is that normal?

Adding two extra pictures, 1 of natural lit room instead of the strong bathroom light and 1 zoomed in picture of my native hair behind the transplant hairs where I seem to have a lot of hairs that didn't grow since they were buzzed for the operation or grew at a much slower rate than the rest of my native hairs (from behind the transplant all the way back to the crown) is that common after a hair transplant or should I be worried? The response from the clinic was "Hair regrowth can be a bit slower after surgery but it will return to normal regrowth rates over the next few months." I would appreciate any input from you guys on how it was for you in that regard after your hair transplant as I am a bit concerned over that since it's looking worse than it did when I buzzed my hair to that length a few months before the surgery. 

20201206_154413.jpg

20201206_151819.jpg

20201206_152034.jpg

20201206_151938.jpg

20201206_151912.jpg

20201206_145613.jpg

Wow that is some density 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow that is some density 🙌🏼

Thanks! Can't wait to see it fully grown in a few more months lol.

Decided to try and buzz down my donor area to 2 mm length to see how it looks like after 3 weeks buzzed. On the back there's a spot above a pimple that's a little weak compared to the rest (maybe a tiny bit of shock loss?) and under the pimple there's an area that's still red which I assume will fade away in a few more weeks. Either way I think it looks great considering it's only 3 weeks after and this short.

20201207_151208.jpg

20201207_151133.jpg

20201207_150951.jpg

20201207_144357.jpg

17 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

So you came off minoxidil completely? Did your scalp recover from the irritation and do you think you've noticed any drawbacks from coming off it?

What does Hasson say about minoxidil anyway, does he just think its not effective?

Dr. Wong mentioned that if Finasteride was working not to take Minoxidil as it causes loss of collagen. I was using both but still debating whether to restart minoxidil post surgery. I used it many years prior to starting Finasteride but found it wasn't working for me. I had recently re-started it again in combination with the Finasteride to see if it would help my crown.  I had stopped for surgery. Still debating whether to start or not. But for some it works really well and it would make sense to keep using it especially if they experience sides with Finasteride. 

Edited by deitel130

5 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Dr. Wong mentioned that if Finasteride was working not to take Minoxidil as it causes loss of collagen. I was using both but still debating whether to restart minoxidil post surgery. I used it many year prior to starting Finasteride but found it wasn't working for me. I had recently re-started it again in combination with the Finasteride I've continued but stopped for surgery. Still debating whether to start or not. But for some it works really well and it would make sense to keep using it especially if they experience sides with Finasteride.

Was told the same and in general it seemed like they aren't a fan of it. As for me personally it never seemed to do much other than make my skin look worse over time and felt like a big hassle applying it versus just taking a simple pill of finasteride so I think I'll stick to just finasteride and hope it will strengthen my crown enough so I won't need a second surgery for my crown as all the hairs are still there but just miniaturized. 

As for my buzzed donor area it looks even better today after the irritation from buzzing it faded it's pretty much undetectable now.

20201208_144000.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ben123 said:

Was told the same and in general it seemed like they aren't a fan of it. As for me personally it never seemed to do much other than make my skin look worse over time and felt like a big hassle applying it versus just taking a simple pill of finasteride so I think I'll stick to just finasteride and hope it will strengthen my crown enough so I won't need a second surgery for my crown as all the hairs are still there but just miniaturized. 

As for my buzzed donor area it looks even better today after the irritation from buzzing it faded it's pretty much undetectable now.

20201208_144000.jpg

Your donor looks really strong even after extraction of 3000 grafts.

Having the same issue trying to figure out what minoxidil is doing for me. Recently the Rogaine foam has started to irritate the hell out of my head and its always itchy. Its not a hassle to apply right now cuz I'm home most of the time, but my head just doesnt feel great with it. Wondering if I should consider Minoxidil with no PG or scrap it all together and let fin do its thing. Another alternative would be oral minoxidil, does anyone have any experience with that?