Dr. Hasson /2,000 Grafts / FUE /Repair/1 year post-op

Vancouver area patient in his early 30’s. Without the proper initial research, he fell victim like many others who might have felt that there may not be a big difference from one clinic to another. Likely influenced more by cost than quality, he chose a clinic in Istanbul for his first hair transplant. As can be the case with many locations, there can be a number of choices, not all created equal. As this site has stated for many years: “Be Careful!” It did not turn out as he had expected and he wanted to correct the previous work and achieve his original goal of a nice hairline with good density.

Upon evaluation of the work done in Istanbul, Dr. Hasson noted the hairline and tissue exhibited ridging, cobblestoning, misdirected hair, multi-hair grafts, low density, etc. All of these conditions are unnatural and can draw the wrong type of attention.  Today’s modern hair restoration should never present any of these conditions. Excision of some grafts inappropriately placed that blunted the temporal angles would also be required to achieve the most natural result.

Shortly after his initial consultation, he came back to the clinic to have the offending 95 misdirected grafts in the temporal angles removed ( see photos with marker highlighting areas to remove). When the temporal angles have been improperly blunted especially with hairs pointing in the wrong direction, removal is often necessary if the most natural looking hairline is to be created. In some cases, we can work around poorly executed previous work but to what degree and with what sacrifices if any is determined case by case. Dr. Hasson and team then later rebuilt a new hairline blending into the frontal zone with 2,000 grafts via FUE. 343 grafts were single hair, 1329 were double hair grafts and 328 were 3-4 hair grafts.  These photos were taken 1-year post-op.

hair-restoration-surgery-before-after-20
hair-transplant-surgery-before-after-200

GRAFTS REMOVED PRIOR TO HAIRLINE RECONSTRUCTION:

Edited by H & W Doug
typo

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

19 minutes ago, H & W Doug said:

Vancouver area patient in his early 30’s. Without the proper initial research, he fell victim like many others who might have felt that there may not be a big difference from one clinic to another. Likely influenced more by cost than quality, he chose a clinic in Istanbul for his first hair transplant. As can be the case with many locations, there can be a number of choices, not all created equal. As this site has stated for many years: “Be Careful!” It did not turn out as he had expected and he wanted to correct the previous work and achieve his original goal of a nice hairline with good density.

Upon evaluation of the work done in Istanbul, Dr. Hasson noted the hairline and tissue exhibited ridging, cobblestoning, misdirected hair, multi-hair grafts, low density, etc. All of these conditions are unnatural and can draw the wrong type of attention.  Today’s modern hair restoration should never present any of these conditions. Excision of some grafts inappropriately placed that blunted the temporal angles would also be required to achieve the most natural result.

Shortly after his initial consultation, he came back to the clinic to have the offending 95 misdirected grafts in the temporal angles removed ( see photos with marker highlighting areas to remove). When the temporal angles have been improperly blunted especially with hairs pointing in the wrong direction, removal is often necessary if the most natural looking hairline is to be created. In some cases, we can work around poorly executed previous work but to what degree and with what sacrifices if any is determined case by case. Dr. Hasson and team then later rebuilt a new hairline blending into the frontal zone with 2,000 grafts via FUE. 343 grafts were single hair, 1329 were double hair grafts and 328 were 3-4 hair grafts.  These photos were taken 1-year post-op.

GRAFTS REMOVED PRIOR TO HAIRLINE RECONSTRUCTION:

Does removal of grafts leave noticable scarring?

Bman3082,

In most similar cases, the tissue looks good after removal of the grafts and is not an issue. If the previous work has created a lot of scar tissue and disruption, the scarring can be a little more pronounced but I’ve never seen a case where it didn’t look much better than before the offending grafts were removed. I've even seen cases where the previous transplant was so bad that after the grafts were removed the change was so dramatic the patient almost considered leaving it without proceeding to stage 2 of the reconstuction!

Upshall,

We do perform some unshaven FUT depending on the number of grafts and how much existing hair is in the recipient area. But in the vast majority of cases, a shave of the recipient site to some degree is preferred.

jj51702,

I don’t have any good pre-op and immediate post-op shot of the donor but I’ve posted a couple of post-op shots below.

Thanks CosmoKramer,

We will have a video of this patient coming soon.

I have also added a couple more pre-op photos that better show the 2 hair grafts just to the left center of the hairline and the large gaps between the grafts.

13.jpg
12.jpg

11.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

3 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

Thx Aftermath!

Maybe even better considering a "strike out" the first time up😃

Doug,

How long after a bad procedure can the repair be done? Is 8 months enough or do you need to wait a full year? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Upshall,

Sorry for the delay, I meant to get back to you on your question sooner. It would depend on the extent of the previous work and how bad it is. In some cases we could start the repair at about 8 months, for others, we may want to wait until closer to the 1-year mark. Ironically, the worse the previous work is, the sooner it may be able to be addressed.  

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators

That is an excellent result, great documentation Doug 👏

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:01 AM, Mycroft said:

I thought this guy looked familiar and then I saw the comment about the YouTube videos. For anyone interested in the progress from the patient's perspective he's got documentation from before his first surgery in Turkey running through his repair and final results with H&W 

https://m.youtube.com/user/fitnesswithsteve

Just watched the videos, pretty good presentation from him. Such a pity he spent 5500 grafts considering his original loss but he definitely has the result he was looking for, now.

2 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Just watched the videos, pretty good presentation from him. Such a pity he spent 5500 grafts considering his original loss but he definitely has the result he was looking for, now.

Yeah. He made a bad call at the outset but looking at the repair job you'd never know it.