Dr Mwamba June 2022 - Asli Tarcan botch job repair

RTC

Wow, @RTCI can totally understand you, and I can imagine that looking closer (as shown in 1 of the images) makes it really noticeable.
Yes you still have more time to go and if the "in between" grafts which are singles and softer take longer to grow and eventually it will all mix up together and give you a natural appearance will work - that does sound logical to me though 

My concern is the gaps patterns of Mwamba's work, which I did find to be repeating in recent works, including mine
I am very hopeful that this is not the cause of the pluggy appearance 

Hang in there man, hopefully you will find a good resolution one way or another

1 hour ago, RTC said:

The multi grafts are all Asli Tarcans handiwork. Dr Mwamba implanted singles in between to soften the hairline and then more grafts behind to fill the empty areas Tarcan left behind.

I was a bit confused when you first mentioned it looking pluggy because I thought it’s multi grafts that make the hairline look pluggy. I didn’t realise that you hadn’t had the hairline lowered. Was that because it was already as low as it should go from the first transplant? Seems bizarre that Mwamba thought the appearance would drastically improve if they’re not ALL singles on the hairline.

It is strange that both clinics have failed to create density.. I really have my fingers crossed for you that it improves in the next few months.

I would suggest you create a video update on your YouTube channel. No need to slate anyone at this stage, but hopefully your video would get enough views for Mwamba’s clinic to take note and want to improve the situation. They should even offer you the accommodation for free.

On 12/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, bigmistake said:

So why didn't doctor Mwamba remove the multi grafts rather than implanting between them 

One thing that shouldnt be ignored is that you can't extract telogen hairs (they are basically invisible under skin). Every human has around 10% of their hairs in telogen (and more if patient has TE). So even if they remove all graft, 10% of Asli Tarkan graft should always exist after 1 repair. No matter if you go to the best surgeon in the planet or not. Im not sure whats the best approach here, working around bad grafts is way harder. This is the limits of human physiology and transplants.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

3 hours ago, RTC said:

Would require a further session which I didn't want 

At least, if you comb the hair forward instead of up at the hairline, you can look like you have a full head of hair.

Not an ideal styling choice but at least something to make the best of the situation. 

Edited by asterix0

48 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

At least, if you comb the hair forward instead of up at the hairline, you can look like you have a full head of hair.

Not an ideal styling choice but at least something to make the best of the situation. 

As much as I agree with you, for the price we paid we cannot settle for such result, if it were a 3,000 Euro FUE in Turkey I'd say yeah better than being butchered, but for 3-4 time the price I honestly expect something above "ok" 😕

• Like 1

• Administrators

I can see it doesn’t look that good, this is unfortunately the nature of repairs. It can be a multi-step process. The good news is the side profiles and donor look much better. 

One bad surgery can lead to multiple repairs. Dr. Mwamba is one of the most ethical surgeons, I’m sure he’ll suggest a further surgery at no cost. He may have been conservative removing too many pluggy grafts. But it definitely looks like more need to be removed, I’m sure that’s what he’ll propose.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

24 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I can see it doesn’t look that good, this is unfortunately the nature of repairs. It can be a multi-step process. The good news is the side profiles and donor look much better. 

One bad surgery can lead to multiple repairs. Dr. Mwamba is one of the most ethical surgeons, I’m sure he’ll suggest a further surgery at no cost. He may have been conservative removing too many pluggy grafts. But it definitely looks like more need to be removed, I’m sure that’s what he’ll propose.

If that's true and as a failed patient you have the option to go through a second procedure, that would indeed be a great resolution and comfort knowing that you are in good hands and money well spent. 

I really hope that's the reality

3 hours ago, FITA said:

I was a bit confused when you first mentioned it looking pluggy because I thought it’s multi grafts that make the hairline look pluggy. I didn’t realise that you hadn’t had the hairline lowered. Was that because it was already as low as it should go from the first transplant? Seems bizarre that Mwamba thought the appearance would drastically improve if they’re not ALL singles on the hairline.

It is strange that both clinics have failed to create density.. I really have my fingers crossed for you that it improves in the next few months.

I would suggest you create a video update on your YouTube channel. No need to slate anyone at this stage, but hopefully your video would get enough views for Mwamba’s clinic to take note and want to improve the situation. They should even offer you the accommodation for free.

He will probably get a free surgery and accommodation for free because of his YouTube channel. That is the different between between normal people and YouTuber.

anyways bro @RTCi gave you my advice the first time and now is a no brainer that you stay away from the clinic and do your research 

13 minutes ago, Mike1J said:

If that's true and as a failed patient you have the option to go through a second procedure, that would indeed be a great resolution and comfort knowing that you are in good hands and money well spent. 

I really hope that's the reality

He is In a good hands? I have seen 3 real patients cases of people with Afro hair in 2022 that went to mwamba and  that has got little bit growth or nothing at all.  The problem is the propaganda Mustang and some people have done here that has tricked the brothers with Afro hair. So please keep the nonsense to yourself.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ajamilo said:

He is In a good hands? I have seen 3 real patients cases of people with Afro hair in 2022 that went to mwamba and  that has got little bit growth or nothing at all.  The problem is the propaganda Mustang and some people have done here that has tricked the brothers with Afro hair. So please keep the nonsense to yourself.

How is that nonesense? 
If he is atleast willing to fix his own failed procedure at no cost, that's already better than a "free PRP" after a botch in Turkey and a whipe off.

It is unfortunate if others have got terrible results, I am a patient myself and also am very concerned. 

• Like 1

All this recent talk about Mwamba is making me nervous 😬. I have my own 2nd repair procedure with him in less than 2 weeks!

1st surgery summary:

-Mwamba did remove/re-implant many badly angled grafts, but a fair amount still remain (I primarily chose Mwamba because he said he could do a "one and done" repair surgery for me)

-He lowered my hairline very slightly, am seeing 50% density of what is should be (I am at 6.5 months currently)

-Mwamba did in fact greatly successfully fix my primary pain point, which was an artificially created cowlick in my hairline. It's very easy for me to fixate on the existing problems, and forget about how I had this massive ugly fake cowlick in my right side hairline, which Mwamba 100% repaired.

For me specifically, my main issue is bad angles - I think Mwamba is greatly skilled. But the lack of density is concerning. 

I personally still am confident in Mwamba, but realize I need to be very inquisitive and advocate for myself when I am in person at the clinic, and very very very specifically engage with him and understand what he can do. 

It also rubs me that I am paying full price for this 2nd surgery. More than anything I feel Mwamba should fix the lowered hairline density for free. I will bring that up when I am in person in Brussels.

Edited by HappyMan2021

22 minutes ago, Ajamilo said:

He doesn’t have Afro hair?

5 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

All this recent talk about Mwamba is making me nervous 😬. I have my own 2nd repair procedure with him in less than 2 weeks!

1st surgery summary:

-Mwamba did remove/re-implant many badly angled grafts, but a fair amount still remain (I primarily chose Mwamba because he said he could do a "one and done" repair surgery for me)

-He lowered my hairline very slightly, am seeing 50% density of what is should be (I am at 6.5 months currently)

-Mwamba did in fact greatly successfully fix my primary pain point, which was an artificially created cowlick in my hairline. It's very easy for me to fixate on the existing problems, and forget about how I had this massive ugly fake cowlick in my right side hairline, which Mwamba 100% repaired.

For me specifically, my main issue is bad angles - I think Mwamba is greatly skilled. But the lack of density is concerning. 

I personally still am confident in Mwamba, but realize I need to be very inquisitive and advocate for myself when I am in person at the clinic, and very very very specifically engage with him and understand what he can do. 

It also rubs me that I am paying full price for this 2nd surgery. More than anything I feel Mwamba should fix the lowered hairline density for free. I will bring that up when I am in person in Brussels.

We all seem to share similar concerns, I really hope we all find our most suitable solution guys, I will definitely contact the clinic when I hit 6 month In March

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, RTC said:
We finished very late that day - would you believe that I went in at 11am and walked out at 6.30am? No joke. Luckily, I was only staying 5 minutes walk around the corner. 

This was a very draining day and I couldn't wait for it to be over. The clinic was short-staffed the day before due to airline problems, so this had an impact into the next day. 

19.5 Hours in surgery! and that's already following a day of surgery. Even the amount of anaesthetic needed to keep you pain free for that long. We know how crucial the early stages are for graft survival, you were already physically drained.

I'm less amazed your hairline is disappointing (given the circumstances) and more amazed the rest looks so good.

Were you given any explanation why it took so long? It's sub-optimal for you and the medical staff.

Edited by NikosHair

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I could be wrong

Day 1 was consultation, removal of the dodgy implants and stitching. Finished at 12.30am!

Day 2 was the hairline work and beard to donor implants. Finished at 6.30am!

That's how I read it on the first post.

10 hours ago, NikosHair said:

19.5 Hours in surgery! and that's already following a day of surgery. Even the amount of anaesthetic needed to keep you pain free for that long. We know how crucial the early stages are for graft survival, you were already physically drained.

I'm less amazed your hairline is disappointing (given the circumstances) and more amazed the rest looks so good.

Were you given any explanation why it took so long? It's sub-optimal for you and the medical staff.

I do share your concerns. From extraction to implantantion I'd say there was around six hours on the second day. However, that is when the work done on my temple points was done too and those grew in perfectly, so I am not sure. 

But I agree that that is way too much time.

13 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

He will probably get a free surgery and accommodation for free because of his YouTube channel. That is the different between between normal people and YouTuber.

anyways bro @RTCi gave you my advice the first time and now is a no brainer that you stay away from the clinic and do your research 

I mean, he has a YouTube channel and has made some videos, but I would hardly call him a YouTuber. He’s very much a normal person. I would actually suggest more people make videos like him. It’s not much different to writing a review on here. You don’t have to show your face.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RTC said:

However, that is when the work done on my temple points was done too and those grew in perfectly,

It's an interesting observation. For example, we often see patients that develop good growth on one side and less stellar results on the other.

There are so many variables outside of our control. It's really a quality control issue for the clinic. Six hours for extraction is a long time. A FU that got extracted in the first hour may have been out of the body for 8, 10 hours or longer. What if a large number of those old grafts ended up in your hairline?

Lets see what the clinic have to say. The 19.5hours is the main irregular factor that's indisputable. 

18 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

1st surgery summary:

Could you share pictures please? Apologies if it’s in another thread.

This is why a lot of great repair surgeons like Dr. Cooley and Dr. Bisanga will not take on repair patients without a thorough in-person examination and setting reasonable expectations that most repairs require multiple surgeries. There is no surgeon in the world capable of fully restoring your botched hair transplant with one surgery OP. Your donor is much improved and there is a lot of density improvement that happens in months 6-9 despite your skepticism. I’ve never had surgery with Mwamba but it seems like his clinic needs to do a better job with communication and setting reasonable expectations.

Also for the people complaining about Mwamba spending too much time in surgery you can always go to a Turkish hair mill if you want a fast surgery, they work very efficiently to implant 5000+ grafts in a few hours and leave you disfigured. You can’t expect a surgeon to meticulously preform surgery and also rush through as fast as possible. I doubt Mwamba enjoys working tirelessly for 16 straight hours, he takes his time because he wants to ensure the best possible result.

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 5

"Hair transplants are not perfect" is an ethos that no one should forget. I think people are judging the situation more on expectations they had or were given for their transplant rather than actual facts.

Is it fun to have a 2cnd proccedure or touchup? not really. But in terms of ethics, if the clinic covers the costs and admits its a sub-par result, you lost nothing in the sense that if density is "lacking", you would have needed the grafts that they impanted you regardless no matter what. In some cases it might even save you money.

For repairs, its even more delicate because the tissue is scarred by previous bad surgeons, which decrease survivavility, and also because you can't extract all bad grafts.

Nonetheless, in the forum, we now have all sort of flavours for Mwamba advocates (lets forget about Mustang and focus on genuine people like Callico and others narrating his story with great results) and a lot of recent detractors, so I imagine most people considering Mwamba will be very confused right now.

I hope whatever judgement we make on another doctors is well deserved and that's exactly what this forum is about but im skeptical about some negative claims which are mostly argumented as "I was promised this, but instead, I got this". HTs is not a 100% exact science, and every person is different, and there's a lot of context and flavours in every story.

1 hour ago, Tiger2050 said:

This is why a lot of great repair surgeons like Dr. Cooley and Dr. Bisanga will not take on repair patients without a thorough in-person examination and setting reasonable expectations that most repairs require multiple surgeries. There is no surgeon in the world capable of fully restoring your botched hair transplant with one surgery OP. Your donor is much improved and there is a lot of density improvement that happens in months 6-9 despite your skepticism. I’ve never had surgery with Mwamba but it seems like his clinic needs to do a better job with communication and setting reasonable expectations.

Also for the people complaining about Mwamba spending too much time in surgery you can always go to a Turkish hair mill if you want a fast surgery, they work very efficiently to implant 5000+ grafts in a few hours and leave you disfigured. You can’t expect a surgeon to meticulously preform surgery and also rush through as fast as possible. I highly doubt Mwamba enjoys working tirelessly for 16 straight hours, he takes his time because he wants to ensure the best possible result.

Yes, basically Mwamba administration is literally the worst I ever seen in terms of communication, marketing themselves, setting realistic expectations etc. Mwamba is the type of guy that wants to genuinely fix everyone and has an open mind. If you combine that with poor communication, that explains why we see a lot of recent dissatisfied customers. It's the first time in my life I ever read in a forum someone complaining a HT taking "too long" instead of the opposite for example 😅