Dr Mwamba June 2022 - Asli Tarcan botch job repair

RTC

Hi everyone, 

At the end of June 2022 I had a hair transplant with Dr Patrick Mwamba in Brussels to repair a pluggy hairline, sparse frontal zone and botched donor area (at the hands of the famous hair mill botch job kings, Asli Tarcan).

Just to recap, in 2018 Asli Tarcan gave me an awful hairline with single grafts in the front in the hairline. It is very pluggy and contains numerous multiple grafts (sorry for the huge pictures).

asligarbage.png.ccae0ec9c92178f606ef7329406a612b.png

The corners of the front of my head also look particularly awful, there are two big circles where hair should be.

I have attached photos taken very recently, almost 4 years after Asli Tarcan, very patchy frontal corners.

Also see the extremely bad donor area, particularly on the right side.

aslitarcanbotchcorner2.png.8c760b4ba5aecad7d41cc58cdc646b31.pngasliatrcanbotch1.png.b248f5a5de6c76e130f21ab572c356bc.pngtarcanfrontalzonebotch.png.729f6be3212650c7bc82b274e62fb3c2.pngbotchdonor22.png.46eddd4372956f89a79c8da77e373def.png

Goals of the surgery:

1) Repair the awful density of the frontal hairline and hair behind it, particularly on the corners.

2) Donor re-stocking using beard hair and carefully depleting the rest of the donor so as to homogenise the look all over.

3) Rebuild the temples (I didn't start thinking about this until I saw @NARMAK thread). But I thought, why not, If we have the chance, let's do it.

Graft breakdown: 

Scalp - 1360
BHT - 765

Medication:

Topical dutasteride 0.01% with dermarolling once a week. Prior to the surgery, I had noticed visible strengthening of my temples after doing this for around two months. this was confirmed by the photos that were taken two months earlier when I first visited Dr Mwamba for a consultation.

However, I will now bump up to 0.05% dutasteride with dermarolling to improve my crown, which still needs work.

1st day:

The pre-surgery consult with Dr Mwamba was extremely thorough. I came in with a list of questions/concerns/suggestions, and we really took our time.

He was able to answer everything and we discussed the strategy for the hairline in particular depth. He manually examined the hair and then used the pro-scope magnification device to look at my hair and plan out the extractions and inserts etc. He shaved my head and spent about an hour drawing the hairline and marking out the zones for grafts to go in and out. Then we took lots of photos.

I would estimate that in all, this took about 2 hours. The man is a perfectionist.

The first order of the day was to remove the garbage grafts sitting in the corners of my head and above the temples. Random, pointless grafts that had no reason being there. Dr Mwamba removed them, stitched them up, and they were later placed in the corner areas of the front (see below). Those had bothered me for years, so it was a huge relief to finally see them gone.

cutgarbagegrafts1.png.4fc3a0bfa19f07ac303025e7efc9a879.pnggarbagegrafts2.thumb.png.8fb344935b3cf8c01fcd00f75937b5f9.png

1733632167_FUEremovalwithstitches.jpg.png.a2b881aee6f225721d2292f13dadf526.png

We wrapped up very late, 12.30am, and I was able to home and get some rest for the next day.

2nd day:

This is where all the major hairline work and donor re-stocking would happen.

Head wash and then had extractions from my scalp donor area by the excellent Dr Ali and technicians under Dr Mwamba's direction.

Note: Mwamba has a very strong team of Doctors and techs - they will all work on you some point most likely, but obviously Mwamba does the super important parts like incisions and placing hairs in delicate areas such as temples and hairlines. And he is always overseeing things.

Dr Mwamba made the slits in my front hairline and temples, then he started implanting there while Dr Ali harvested my beard for grafts. This was very uncomfortable as we were going for 5-6 hours straight (Superman 2 was on loop while this was happening, I watched it three times). Him and his team are very very hard workers. Tremendous work ethic.

Finally, with the temples and hairline done, it was time for 'FIT farming' - planting beard grafts into my decimated donor area. Beard grafts were also implanted into some areas on my scalp where hair had just been extracted. Dr Ali took the lead here (again with Dr Mwamba's direction).

We finished very late that day - would you believe that I went in at 11am and walked out at 6.30am? No joke. Luckily, I was only staying 5 minutes walk around the corner. 

This was a very draining day and I couldn't wait for it to be over. The clinic was short-staffed the day before due to airline problems, so this had an impact into the next day. 

Another patient was also being treated on the same day (shout out to @SteveUrkel02 lol). The important thing to note here is that Dr Mwamba was still heavily involved and attentive throughout the process, but things just took longer.

Everybody was super professional and in good spirits while getting the job done, they all really put a graft in (no pun intended). Dr Mwamba was singing along to Michael Jackson and Congolese music as we got through the last few hours. He even went back and added more grafts behind my hairline to give it more density. He truly is a perfectionist.

The next day I went back for head-washing, light therapy, and checking of the grafts.

On my final day (2 days after the second day of the op), I met with Mwamba to remove the stitches from where he punched out the excess grafts on my hairline. He recommended a silicone gel and also checked that I didn't lose any grafts on the back of my head (as i was concerned that I may have put too much pressure it while sleeping). He also did a de-brief with me, showing me the implanted grafts via the proscope. 

day2mwamba.png.99981fa69cbcd0fb71943d96b2bfe4d3.pngfulljob.png.023cb19a7a6bfa198a193aef6387bd79.pngmwambatemplework2.png.c9dea675215b345be421804dc189d8c8.pngtemple1.png.be6c3d49b5616bb2424d8aaa738b5928.pngbhtdonor.png.03001ece28526301f1281b2f65f27b03.png

546431049_2daysafterstitchremoval.jpg.png.9a06a09075d76238072384b2525a8b9d.png

Overall, what can I say? I am very, very happy with the work that was done on me, and if all goes well, God willing, it should be a (very) good result.

But I do want to manage my expectations because I know things can happen. Infections, poor growth, etc. And it will never look 100% perfect. But if I get even 75% improvement on my Asli Tarcan botch-job I will be very happy.

I'm so happy I went to Dr Mwamba. There are many doctors who would not have taken on this type of repair job, and if they did, may have suggested 2 or even 3 sessions. For me, 4 years has been long enough to wait.

I'd advise anyone travelling to stay at least 2 days after their procedure just for peace of mind - it's always good to go back and get your head washed and be able to consult with the Doctor in person. I would also recommend staying super close the to the clinic. You don't want to have to mess around travelling home after a long day of surgery. 

The quality of the work is NIGHT and DAY compared to Asli Tarcan or other shoddy hair mills - it is super refined, clean, and precise. 

I'm sure there'll be lots of questions so please fire away - remember a botch job is not the end and in many cases they can be fixed. I hope this will encourage more people to consult with Dr Mwamba - there are at least 3 people who've had recent repair ops with him and all talk about him glowingly, but nobody seems to be posting their journey, so here we go.

I'd like to thank everybody on this forum who gave me advice on where to go when I first posted here, because without this forum I probably would have remained static forever, without ever taking any action to fix my situation. Cheers

Edited by Aslitarcan sucks
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:
Hi everyone, 

At the end of June 2022 I had a hair transplant with Dr Patrick Mwamba in Brussels to repair a pluggy hairline, sparse frontal zone and botched donor area (at the hands of the famous hair mill botch job kings, Asli Tarcan).

Just to recap, in 2018 Asli Tarcan gave me an awful hairline with single grafts in the front in the hairline. It is very pluggy and contains numerous multiple grafts (sorry for the huge pictures).

The corners of the front of my head also look particularly awful, there are two big circles where hair should be.

I have attached photos taken very recently, almost 4 years after Asli Tarcan, very patchy frontal corners.

aslitarcanbotchcorner2.png.8c760b4ba5aecad7d41cc58cdc646b31.pngasliatrcanbotch1.png.b248f5a5de6c76e130f21ab572c356bc.pngtarcanfrontalzonebotch.png.729f6be3212650c7bc82b274e62fb3c2.pngbotchdonor22.png.46eddd4372956f89a79c8da77e373def.png

Goals of the surgery:

1) Repair the awful density of the frontal hairline and hair behind it, particularly on the corners.

2) Donor re-stocking using beard hair and carefully depleting the rest of the donor so as to homogenise the look all over.

3) Rebuild the temples (I didn't start thinking about this until I saw @NARMAK thread). But I thought, why not, If we have the chance, let's do it.

Graft breakdown: 

Scalp - 1360
BHT - 765

Medication:

Topical dutasteride 0.01% with dermarolling once a week. Prior to the surgery, I had noticed visible strengthening of my temples after doing this for around two months. this was confirmed by the photos that were taken two months earlier when I first visited Dr Mwamba for a consultation.

However, I will now bump up to 0.05% dutasteride with dermarolling to improve my crown, which still needs work.

1st day:

The pre-surgery consult with Dr Mwamba was extremely thorough. I came in with a list of questions/concerns/suggestions, and we really took our time.

He was able to answer everything and we discussed the strategy for the hairline in particular depth. He manually examined the hair and then used the pro-scope magnification device to look at my hair and plan out the extractions and inserts etc. He shaved my head and spent about an hour drawing the hairline and marking out the zones for grafts to go in and out. Then we took lots of photos.

I would estimate that in all, this took about 2 hours. The man is a perfectionist.

The first order of the day was to remove the garbage grafts sitting in the corners of my head and above the temples. Random, pointless grafts that had no reason being there. Dr Mwamba removed them, stitched them up, and they were later placed in the corner areas of the front (see below). Those had bothered me for years, so it was a huge relief to finally see them gone.

cutgarbagegrafts1.png.4fc3a0bfa19f07ac303025e7efc9a879.pnggarbagegrafts2.thumb.png.8fb344935b3cf8c01fcd00f75937b5f9.png

We wrapped up very late, 12.30am, and I was able to home and get some rest for the next day.

2nd day:

Head wash and then had extractions from my scalp donor area by the excellent Dr Ali and technicians under Dr Mwamba's direction.

Note: Mwamba has a very strong team of Doctors and techs - they will all work on you some point most likely, but obviously Mwamba does the super important parts like incisions and placing hairs in delicate areas such as temples and hairlines. And he is always overseeing things.

Dr Mwamba made the slits in my front hairline and temples, then he started implanting there while Dr Ali harvested my beard for grafts. This was very uncomfortable as we were going for 5-6 hours straight (Superman 2 was on loop while this was happening, I watched it three times). Him and his team are very very hard workers. Tremendous work ethic.

Finally, with the temples and hairline done, it was time for 'FIT farming' - planting beard grafts into my decimated donor area. Beard grafts were also implanted into some areas on my scalp where hair had just been extracted. Dr Ali took the lead here (again with Dr Mwamba's direction).

We finished very late that day - would you believe that I went in at 11am and walked out at 6.30am? No joke. Luckily, I was only staying 5 minutes walk around the corner. 

This was a very draining day and I couldn't wait for it to be over. The clinic was short-staffed the day before due to airline problems, so this had an impact into the next day. 

Another patient was also being treated on the same day (shout out to @SteveUrkel02 lol). The important thing to note here is that Dr Mwamba was still heavily involved and attentive throughout the process, but things just took longer.

Everybody was super professional and in good spirits while getting the job done, they all really put a graft in (no pun intended). Dr Mwamba was singing along to Michael Jackson and Congolese music as we got through the last few hours. He even went back and added more grafts behind my hairline to give it more density. He truly is a perfectionist.

The next day I went back for head-washing, light therapy, and checking of the grafts.

On my final day (2 days after the second day of the op), I met with Mwamba to remove the stitches from where he punched out the excess grafts on my hairline. He recommended a silicone gel and also checked that I didn't lose any grafts on the back of my head (as i was concerned that I may have put too much pressure it while sleeping). He also did a de-brief with me, showing me the implanted grafts via the proscope. 

day2mwamba.png.99981fa69cbcd0fb71943d96b2bfe4d3.pngfulljob.png.023cb19a7a6bfa198a193aef6387bd79.pngmwambatemplework2.png.c9dea675215b345be421804dc189d8c8.pngtemple1.png.be6c3d49b5616bb2424d8aaa738b5928.pngbhtdonor.png.03001ece28526301f1281b2f65f27b03.png

Overall, what can I say? I am very, very happy with the work that was done on me, and if all goes well, God willing, it should be a (very) good result.

But I do want to manage my expectations because I know things can happen. Infections, poor growth, etc. And it will never look 100% perfect. But if I get even 75% improvement on my Asli Tarcan botch-job I will be very happy.

I'm so happy I went to Dr Mwamba. There are many doctors who would not have taken on this type of repair job, and if they did, may have suggested 2 or even 3 sessions. For me, 4 years has been long enough to wait.

I'd advise anyone travelling to stay at least 2 days after their procedure just for peace of mind - it's always good to go back and get your head washed and be able to consult with the Doctor in person. I would also recommend staying super close the to the clinic. You don't want to have to mess around travelling home after a long day of surgery. 

The quality of the work is NIGHT and DAY compared to Asli Tarcan or other shoddy hair mills - it is super refined, clean, and precise. 

I'm sure there'll be lots of questions so please fire away - remember a botch job is not the end and in many cases they can be fixed. I hope this will encourage more people to consult with Dr Mwamba - there are at least 3 people who've had recent 'repair' ops with him and all talk about him glowingly, but nobody seems to be posting their journey, so here we go.

I'd like to thank everybody on this forum who gave me advice on where to go when I first posted here, because without this forum I probably would have stayed static, trying to hide my hair all the time without taking any action to fix it. Cheers

Really happy for you man. Its been a helluva journey for you to this point and i can only wish you the best on finally getting that outcome you wanted. The work looks really clean and meticulous. Dr Mwamba is a very great doctor for repair work. 

I'm even honoured to receive a mention as an small inspiration for your temple points. I can only hope mine grown out well and that i can finally enjoy them as an adult since i can't remember them at all. I certainly think they add so much to the framing of a persons face too, and i would never have felt comfortable getting a hair transplant without them. So really glad you also saw mine done and felt similar. :)

• Like 1

Thats a good write up and looks like it could turn out real good ia. I'm real interested in this as my donor area isnt great after a procedure with Dr Civas a few years ago and Dr Mwamba was already on my shortlist (along with Dr Turan and Dr Bicer) for an FUE procedure. I'll be watching this one closely

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Really happy for you man. Its been a helluva journey for you to this point and i can only wish you the best on finally getting that outcome you wanted. The work looks really clean and meticulous. Dr Mwamba is a very great doctor for repair work. 

I'm even honoured to receive a mention as an small inspiration for your temple points. I can only hope mine grown out well and that i can finally enjoy them as an adult since i can't remember them at all. I certainly think they add so much to the framing of a persons face too, and i would never have felt comfortable getting a hair transplant without them. So really glad you also saw mine done and felt similar. :)

The temples make all the difference honestly - I've always had 'slopey' temples. After seeing your post, I got greedy lol. I agree they really do frame the face. Just hope they grow in nicely now

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny129 said:

Thats a good write up and looks like it could turn out real good ia. I'm real interested in this as my donor area isnt great after a procedure with Dr Civas a few years ago and Dr Mwamba was already on my shortlist (along with Dr Turan and Dr Bicer) for an FUE procedure. I'll be watching this one closely

Dr Mwamba trumps both of those for a repair case like yours imo, definitely make an appointment with him and keep us updated bro

• Like 1

I find it unusual that Asli Tarcan would implant islands of individual hair grafts at the front of the hairline. Why, what is the purpose?

Before your HT with Dr Mwamba, have you attempted to apply some Toppik in the depleted areas? I think that would have added some density. Of course, that is not a permanent fix and can be a hassle.

I watched some of your youtube videos. I thought they were informative.

You're in good hands with Dr Mwamba. He has lots of experience with repairs. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1

Just now, Antlor said:

I find it unusual that Asli Tarcan would implant islands of individual hair grafts at the front of the hairline. Why, what is the purpose?

Before your HT with Dr Mwamba, have you attempted to apply some Toppik in the depleted areas? I think that would have added some density. Of course, that is not a permanent fix and can be a hassle.

I watched some of your youtube videos. I thought they were informative.

You're in good hands with Dr Mwamba. He has lots of experience with repairs. Wishing you all the best!

I don't believe there was any purpose to be honest. No doctor was involved, just two little girls without a clue what they were doing.

I tried Toppik and it was ok, but it didn't work very well on my left corner because there is barely any existing hair there! So the Toppik just ended up on my scalp looking like black ink.

Thanks for listening man!

this is the first time i've seen stitches to prevent obvious scarring from fue removal, but it doesn't even look like you had any after the stiches removed.

grats man, looking forward to seeing you with a great head of hair.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:
Hi everyone, 

Goals of the surgery:

Graft breakdown: 

Scalp - 1360
BHT - 765

Medication:

1st day:

2nd day:

I'm sure there'll be lots of questions so please fire away - remember a botch job is not the end and in many cases they can be fixed. I hope this will encourage more people to consult with Dr Mwamba - there are at least 3 people who've had recent repair ops with him and all talk about him glowingly, but nobody seems to be posting their journey, so here we go.

I'd like to thank everybody on this forum who gave me advice on where to go when I first posted here, because without this forum I probably would have stayed static thinking about my hair forever without ever taking any action to fix it. Cheers

Well written and encouraging. My surgery with Dr Mwamba is in 2 weeks, I truly can’t wait. 2 years of isolation and depression, This has been the toughest time of my life so I can only imagine how you were able to live with this for 4 years. 

congrats bro. Good luck on your journey! 

• Like 2

Bisanga gave me 1 stitch when he had to punch out some hair with a large punch in my donor area. It's cool to see you have that done too.

It looks like perfect work. Night and day difference. I can't wait to see the results!

• Like 1

The work looks great. Hopefully you can put this behind you soon enough. I’ve listened to your videos and you seem like a really good guy.

did alsi Tarcan only deplete that right side of your donor?

also how did you sleep following the donor restocking? Did Mwamba give you certain guidelines?

13 hours ago, Jay00 said:

Well written and encouraging. My surgery with Dr Mwamba is in 2 weeks, I truly can’t wait. 2 years of isolation and depression, This has been the toughest time of my life so I can only imagine how you were able to live with this for 4 years. 

congrats bro. Good luck on your journey! 

You can be very confident in your selection bro. Just go there and make your goals clear in the consultation with Dr Mwamba. I was coming from a similar place to you (with my head botched) so I had many doubts and anxieties going into a second procedure. You will be fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

The work looks great. Hopefully you can put this behind you soon enough. I’ve listened to your videos and you seem like a really good guy.

did alsi Tarcan only deplete that right side of your donor?

also how did you sleep following the donor restocking? Did Mwamba give you certain guidelines?

Haha thanks man -  I didn't know that people from here had listened.

When I was consulting with Mwamba pre-surgery, he rightly pointed out that the extraction pattern on my donor was very different on both sides and it seems there were two different people working on me. he was spot on. My left side is not amazing but isn't very bad either, but my right side is awful. So most of the focus of the FIT farming was on the right.

In regards to sleep, because the donor restocking starts at about mid-ear level, I elevated myself high up with pillows and then wore a neck pillow so that the area was not really in contact with anything. However, on the second day, I did wake up with the back of my head stuck to the pads I was sleeping on. Luckily Dr Mwamba checked and said it was fine.

4 hours ago, SimpleLife said:

image.png.669890391fcbcf5814c2394edee13608.png

Btw why didnt they implant hairs in this area?

And did he use stiches in the beard as well or is that not possible since its flexible/moves a lot?

I'm not sure tbh. The grafts they put in do quite closely correlate with the huge patch you can see in my pre-surgery photos, and maybe they could have added some further grafts for more coverage. But I think it will already be a huge visual improvement as it is.

Anyway, there is always more beard or chest for next time lol

And no stitches in beard - it's just left to heal like a normal donor area heals.

Night and day difference.  Your story is inspiring and like you, hope that one day butchers / mills are held accountable. Congrats on going to Mwamba -- seems to be fantastic all around.

• Like 2