Has anyone seen or experienced a negative result from Dr. Zarev...?

His donor work is some of the cleanest I have seen. I have heard he has a special technique for extraction which leaves less scarring, though I am reluctant to believe this...

While he has attained some incredible results from big sessions, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be so much video evidence of results on youtube. 

So, I am wondering if he only cherrypicks his absolute best work to display or are ALL his patients achieving such great results with the absolute minimum FUE scarring? 

Any patients out there who know more I'd love to hear. Thanks!

1 hour ago, follically challenged said:

His donor work is some of the cleanest I have seen. I have heard he has a special technique for extraction which leaves less scarring, though I am reluctant to believe this...

While he has attained some incredible results from big sessions, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be so much video evidence of results on youtube. 

So, I am wondering if he only cherrypicks his absolute best work to display or are ALL his patients achieving such great results with the absolute minimum FUE scarring? 

I think he has one patient review? People seem to come to conclusions pretty easily if you can say that hes top in the world after one single patient review. That case was spectacular though, but would like to see more cases.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, digi23 said:

I think he has one patient review? People seem to come to conclusions pretty easily if you can say that hes top in the world after one single patient review. That case was spectacular though, but would like to see more cases.

I’ve only seen one case here, though it’s spectacular. Definitely need a lot more cases to come to a consensus.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 hours ago, follically challenged said:

If you look at Dr Zarevs own YouTube channel, he's got around 40 videos with very good details, pictures /videos. 

You can also check my thread as I did over 7000 grafts January 2021 and another over 3600 grafts October 2021. He's also got a lot of detailed results at his web site and if you go for a live consultarion with him he's got a TON more results in his computer. 

I know he would like to present more results but as his doing everything himself there is little time, hopefully with the opening of his new clinic (should be this January) and hiring a patient coordinator he will have more time to put out more results. 

But Dr Zarev is the real deal, but as he himself is not active in this or any other forum and not many of his patients (who are mostly 95% Bulgarians and the more upper class/richer) there are some question marks still for some people. 

I think he also recently presented a case in December at a hair GHLS 2021 ( Global Hair Loss Summit) but I have not found it online yet. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HugoX said:

If you look at Dr Zarevs own YouTube channel, he's got around 40 videos with very good details, pictures /videos. 

You can also check my thread as I did over 7000 grafts January 2021 and another over 3600 grafts October 2021. He's also got a lot of detailed results at his web site and if you go for a live consultarion with him he's got a TON more results in his computer. 

I know he would like to present more results but as his doing everything himself there is little time, hopefully with the opening of his new clinic (should be this January) and hiring a patient coordinator he will have more time to put out more results. 

But Dr Zarev is the real deal, but as he himself is not active in this or any other forum and not many of his patients (who are mostly 95% Bulgarians and the more upper class/richer) there are some question marks still for some people. 

I think he also recently presented a case in December at a hair GHLS 2021 ( Global Hair Loss Summit) but I have not found it online yet. 

Im trying to get in contact with him.

Any ideas how this is possible?

Would he work on someone not on Propecia?

20 hours ago, hairman22 said:

Im trying to get in contact with him.

Any ideas how this is possible?

Would he work on someone not on Propecia?

Yeah unfortunately getting in contact with him has been somewhat difficult, should be better after he moves in new office, hires English speaking staff and I think a new Web site or contact form should also be coming soon. 

About Propecia, this you will have to talk to him about, I think any serious surgeon will depending on current hair loss, future hair loss, age etc. and if the patient have experienced side effect from a medication try to set up a plan that works for that person and their circumstances. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 6:25 AM, HugoX said:

Yeah unfortunately getting in contact with him has been somewhat difficult, should be better after he moves in new office, hires English speaking staff and I think a new Web site or contact form should also be coming soon. 

About Propecia, this you will have to talk to him about, I think any serious surgeon will depending on current hair loss, future hair loss, age etc. and if the patient have experienced side effect from a medication try to set up a plan that works for that person and their circumstances. 

How is his English? I watched an interview Spencer Stevenson did with him for being a "Top 25" surgeon and Zarev read off of script instead of just speaking in a freeflow matter.

17 minutes ago, hairsave2021 said:

I have booked a consultation with him for the end of March. As I am from Bulgaria it was easy to find him, but you have to wait 9-10 months. If it goes as planned, I can ask him how things work for patients from abroad. 

Please do. Are you saying it's a 9-10 month wait just for a consultation?

7 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

How is his English? I watched an interview Spencer Stevenson did with him for being a "Top 25" surgeon and Zarev read off of script instead of just speaking in a freeflow matter.

He's English is good I think , of course sometimes some words are hard for Dr Zarev to find or express himself, but you will understand him and he'll understand you. 

1 hour ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Watched the mr rolandas video he claimed bloodless surgery sounds like BS plus he got a wig on

I didn't bleed after my surgery which my immediately post up pictures show and so does all of his other videos and pictures. After surgery no bandages were needed, in fact none of Dr Zarev patients have bandages after surgery. 

And for your classless comment, have you seen Dr Zarev live? Have you spent 45 hours talking and looking at him? His hair is curly, not a wig, as someone who has had a hair piece for almost 15 years hearing classless comments like this to make fun of someone, does it make you feel better? 

Do better 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a consultation with dr. Zarev a couple of days ago.
I'll share my opinion of him, but have in mind that it was a long consultation (about a hour and a half) and some of the more technical stuff he said to me, I just didn't understand completely due to my lack of knowledge. 

So, the first thing as I said is that the consultation was long. He really takes time to listen to you and doesn't treat you just as a patient, but as a person. 
The questions that he first asks are - When did you first notice hair loss? What pattern of hair loss runs through your family? Are you taking something to prevent it (medications).
When it comes to medications, he says that the majority of his patients have some sort of side effects from finasteride and was surprised that I didn't have any. He doesn't say that they have severe side effects, but some (brain fog, etc.). Around 15% don't have.
He believes that, if he can make a good conservative opinion, meaning - analyzing your donor, your hair loss and making a worse case scenario (what NW you will end) - age is not that important. I was surprised from that as I know that other surgeons are cautious to transplant on young patients. 
I suggested, if it will be a good option to go FUT first, as I've heard that it can spare your donor hair, but for him FUT is an outdated way of doing the things. It usually ends up with poor growth and the current methods are so advanced, that FUT is not necessary anymore. 

After all the talking, he takes pictures of you from all angles and then watches you on a micro camera. He showed me pictures of very hard cases.
One of them was a NW6 with retrograde alopecia that he managed to repair. I think he said, that he managed to extract more grafts due to the patient wanting to shave their donor completely. (I'm not sure about that information. Perhaps there are some youtube videos of him, as he suggested that he has uploaded some of his patients).  

My case: He said that besides my receding hairline and family history of hair loss, he could take around 14 500 grafts from my donor currently. Those will be enough even for the worst case scenario (NW6), which he suggested as highly unlikely. 

From his experience, the best HT results are the ones who grow early (4-5 months) and typically a HT will look better after the first 1-2 years and it will worsen slightly after a few years. Also, he is clear that HT isn't a guarantee, meaning that you can't predict 100% how a human organism will react (especially, if done incorrectly).

If you want to contact him, perhaps e-mail is not the best option (he said, he has around 1200). There is a phone number when you type his name, but it probably is easier to get to him, if you are from Bulgaria. The waiting for a consultation is typically around 1 year, but they probably will call you earlier, as their schedule changes. Once you have the consultation, it becomes easier to get to him. You become their patient and he even gave me his phone number, as I have to send him my blood tests.

Note: This was a long consultation and the best way to understand his opinions/views is to actually meet him or watch some of his videos. I have tried to remember most of what he said to me, but there is a chance that I have misunderstood him on some topics. Take it with a grain of salt.

TLDR: From what I've seen from the opinions about him, he seems like the real deal. He was very friendly and informative about his views and how he does his work.
If you have a big budget and are a high NW, perhaps he will be a good option for you.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, LMyR said:

I've had a consultation with dr. Zarev a couple of days ago.
I'll share my opinion of him, but have in mind that it was a long consultation (about a hour and a half) and some of the more technical stuff he said to me, I just didn't understand completely due to my lack of knowledge. 

So, the first thing as I said is that the consultation was long. He really takes time to listen to you and doesn't treat you just as a patient, but as a person. 
The questions that he first asks are - When did you first notice hair loss? What pattern of hair loss runs through your family? Are you taking something to prevent it (medications).
When it comes to medications, he says that the majority of his patients have some sort of side effects from finasteride and was surprised that I didn't have any. He doesn't say that they have severe side effects, but some (brain fog, etc.). Around 15% don't have.
He believes that, if he can make a good conservative opinion, meaning - analyzing your donor, your hair loss and making a worse case scenario (what NW you will end) - age is not that important. I was surprised from that as I know that other surgeons are cautious to transplant on young patients. 
I suggested, if it will be a good option to go FUT first, as I've heard that it can spare your donor hair, but for him FUT is an outdated way of doing the things. It usually ends up with poor growth and the current methods are so advanced, that FUT is not necessary anymore. 

After all the talking, he takes pictures of you from all angles and then watches you on a micro camera. He showed me pictures of very hard cases.
One of them was a NW6 with retrograde alopecia that he managed to repair. I think he said, that he managed to extract more grafts due to the patient wanting to shave their donor completely. (I'm not sure about that information. Perhaps there are some youtube videos of him, as he suggested that he has uploaded some of his patients).  

My case: He said that besides my receding hairline and family history of hair loss, he could take around 14 500 grafts from my donor currently. Those will be enough even for the worst case scenario (NW6), which he suggested as highly unlikely. 

From his experience, the best HT results are the ones who grow early (4-5 months) and typically a HT will look better after the first 1-2 years and it will worsen slightly after a few years. Also, he is clear that HT isn't a guarantee, meaning that you can't predict 100% how a human organism will react (especially, if done incorrectly).

If you want to contact him, perhaps e-mail is not the best option (he said, he has around 1200). There is a phone number when you type his name, but it probably is easier to get to him, if you are from Bulgaria. The waiting for a consultation is typically around 1 year, but they probably will call you earlier, as their schedule changes. Once you have the consultation, it becomes easier to get to him. You become their patient and he even gave me his phone number, as I have to send him my blood tests.

Note: This was a long consultation and the best way to understand his opinions/views is to actually meet him or watch some of his videos. I have tried to remember most of what he said to me, but there is a chance that I have misunderstood him on some topics. Take it with a grain of salt.

TLDR: From what I've seen from the opinions about him, he seems like the real deal. He was very friendly and informative about his views and how he does his work.
If you have a big budget and are a high NW, perhaps he will be a good option for you.

I met with him in mid-December and had the exact same experience in terms of the high level of detail, realistic expectations, and long-term planning. He spoke with me for nearly three hours. A very thorough assessment. I was impressed with him. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, deeznuts said:

14,500 grafts wow.

Do you know if he meant 14,500 grafts total (taking 50% of the grafts would result in 7250 grafts extractable) or 14500 grafts available for extraction?

The maximum grafts he can extract is 14,500. He said, that obviously if I come at 50, probably I will have slightly less, but he is taking such things into consideration.

• Valued Contributor
On 1/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, HugoX said:

His hair is curly, not a wig,

Nothing wrong with wearing a wig but it definitely is a wig if we are going to talk brass tacks! I can tell myself but surgeons who have attended his conference hosted by John Cole have also told me it's a wig. Still a hair piece (just like it was for me) is a personal choice and as I have already said their is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Gatsby

• 1 month later...

Whether a surgeon wears a wig, partial or full hair system, suffers from alopecia totalis or not is irrelevant. 

In fact, the very field they have gone into and apparently helping others achieve other worldly results which they themselves cannot benefit from is to me, an amazing contribution. 

Dr Zarev has developed his own custom machine for punching extractions and is why he usually also blurs it in his videos. 

I do genuinely think he is per the patient result here and elsewhere aiming to try and truly help people. Therefore i do not think we need discuss his personal follicular condition as if people on this very forum haven't perhaps suffered with the stigma of their hair loss. 

Personally i know its been mentioned elsewhere, but it does appear unless a Doctor agreed to be on the forums recommended list and pay the fees, the only way we will get more patient results is if people already were on here or somehow came across the doctor and shared their story. 

7 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

What does he charge per grafts and how can an overseas person contact him?

Financial conditions:

Consultation: 100 BGN

Hair transplantation: 4 EUR for each graft 

PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy (for one procedure): 250 EUR

Eyebrow transplantation: 4000 - 6000 EUR

• Like 2

Just now, J.A.C said:

Financial conditions:

Consultation: 100 BGN

Hair transplantation: 4 EUR for each graft 

PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy (for one procedure): 250 EUR

Eyebrow transplantation: 4000 - 6000 EUR