Anyone here felt depressed post op?

Anyone here feel depressed after a hair transplant having to wait for a long year for growth or any growth for that matter? How do you cope with that?

Edited by lowk
  • Like 1

By keeping your eyes on the prize.  Also remember that it doesn't take 12 months to look better than you did pre-op.  Expect the first 2-3 to months suck, just part of the process.

• Like 3

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

4 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

By keeping your eyes on the prize.  Also remember that it doesn't take 12 months to look better than you did pre-op.  Expect the first 2-3 to months suck, just part of the process.

I see. In other words you dont have to wait 3 months since thats the ugly duckling phase. It may be possible to look good between 3 and 12 months. I see. Thanks!

• Like 1

I haven't had a transplant yet but I'm not the type to get depressed so something like that never even crossed my mind. I think the most important thing is just to not worry about what you can't change and only worry about what you can change... And do that to the best of your ability. 

Plus, I can't imagine being depressed post transplant. It must be super exciting waiting for new growth to appear and to finally move past your hair loss

I think perspective helps, I’m currently on day 17 post transplant and am fully aware the next year is going to be hard but what’s helped me is to think of it like this… pre transplant my hair was stabilised due to finsateride but it was never going to get any better, only worse but now I’ve had it done things can only get better from this point onwards, I know within the next 12 months I’ll wake up one day and I’ll have that hairline back. Hope’s the best antidote to depression and by taking action and getting it done you’re giving yourself that hope.

it’s also important to say that there could be underlying things that are causing depression and hair loss may be a small part of a bigger thing, for that there are many things as well as medication that can help, I think it’s about reflection and making positive changes, a well researched transplant with the right doctor is a good example of this. 

• Valued Contributor

This is an excellent question and highlights why research is not only critical but mandatory when considering surgery. After surgery it's natural to wonder how things will turn out regardless of who the surgeon was or how many grafts were needed. If you know that you have committed yourself to ruling out every possible doubt then you can refer back to this after surgery and throughout the recovery period and growth stage. That's why I always state that communication is the most important part in choosing your surgeon because it's more important after surgery than before (and it's absolutely crucial BEFORE surgery).

• Moderators

I think most people get depressed in the first few months after a hair transplant. People generally get a hair transplant because they are beginning to get depressed about their hair, so when you start getting shock loss and look worse than you did before the transplant it makes sense that it will really bring some people down. You just have to push through it for a few months and try not to let it get to you. It will generally be about 5 months before it starts to look better than it did pre transplant, so while it takes a year or more to get the full results, it doesn't take nearly that long to get some good improvement from the starting point.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

If you have researched thoroughly and chosen a surgeon you have full confidence in, despite there being a period of time of potentially looking worse off than beforehand, it should be one of the most exciting and morale boosting journeys one can have post 3 months. 

Think of it this way, you are flip reversing the balding process on its head. Rather than being sat (on meds or not) and acknowledging that the only direction your hair situation is going to go is downhill, you are actually in a position that week on week, your hair is going to look better and better. 

That alone was a psychological game changer for me. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Like 1

I sure as hell felt more depressed in the years preceding my Hair Transplant. Actually having the chance and made the choice to regain some ground I actually started to feel better. Having a transplant is a total roller coaster of a journey but it’s a exciting one to me. 

Totally agree I’ve enjoyed every day watching my hair improve. No point going through with it if your not prepared for the rough days early on (not even that bad in my opinion) just put a cap on for 6-8 weeks until the fun starts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

I sure as hell felt more depressed in the years preceding my Hair Transplant. Actually having the chance and made the choice to regain some ground I actually started to feel better. Having a transplant is a total roller coaster of a journey but it’s a exciting one to me. 

Thats a good confidence booster. Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It will generally be about 5 months before it starts to look better than it did pre transplant, so while it takes a year or more to get the full results, it doesn't take nearly that long to get some good improvement from the starting point.

This! I must agree with you. One really doesnt have to wait a whole year to see improved results enough to stop wearing a hat or avoid going outside. Personally I've seen post results 5 - 7 months that looked very good. In all I think an average waiting period to get good enough results is 5 - 7 months. Things will only get better any time thereafter so you dont have to worry.

7 hours ago, Yoo said:

I think perspective helps, I’m currently on day 17 post transplant and am fully aware the next year is going to be hard but what’s helped me is to think of it like this… pre transplant my hair was stabilised due to finsateride but it was never going to get any better, only worse but now I’ve had it done things can only get better from this point onwards, I know within the next 12 months I’ll wake up one day and I’ll have that hairline back. Hope’s the best antidote to depression and by taking action and getting it done you’re giving yourself that hope.

it’s also important to say that there could be underlying things that are causing depression and hair loss may be a small part of a bigger thing, for that there are many things as well as medication that can help

Oh no lol lets not take any more meds than we need to be taking. I think society has had enough of that shit already lol.

Yeah I can imagine youre like counting the days where each and every day seems like an eternity. But you dont have to wait 12 months. Just wait enough til your hair is dense enough to satisfy you. But still its a waiting game.

After I get my ht I wont look at myself in the mirror for many weeks. I'll be avoiding it. I know it sounds nutty but its a way to deal with it mentally at least for me.

Hope is a good feeling.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Newyear newhair said:

just put a cap on for 6-8 weeks until the fun starts 

If you can do that then it is much easier to deal with it, but some people don't have that option due to their job. I have to meet hundreds of people daily, some of them I see regularly and some of them are strangers and I have to be wearing a suit jacket and tie with no head covering allowed.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

13 hours ago, BeHappy said:

If you can do that then it is much easier to deal with it, but some people don't have that option due to their job. I have to meet hundreds of people daily, some of them I see regularly and some of them are strangers and I have to be wearing a suit jacket and tie with no head covering allowed.

Fair comment... maybe a wig is the only option 

20 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Yes that would mean pressure due to your occupation. I cant imagine wearing a suit and cap then meeting with clients. 

• Like 1

I have suffered with depression all my life, and lost Hat was a whirlwind of emotions. Immediately after I was horrified at how bad I looked, during the ugly duckling phase I was depressed thinking I’d made the biggest mistake of my life. I also would have anxiety thinking that if the HT was a failure, I could never shave my head bald due to my FUT scar. At many times early on in the process I said that getting an HT was the worst thing I’ve ever done. 

then time went on, my hair grew in, and now I have basically a full head of hair and I couldn’t be happier. For people prone to anxiety and depression, the short term after the surgery is really hard. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

I have suffered with depression all my life, and lost Hat was a whirlwind of emotions. Immediately after I was horrified at how bad I looked, during the ugly duckling phase I was depressed thinking I’d made the biggest mistake of my life. I also would have anxiety thinking that if the HT was a failure, I could never shave my head bald due to my FUT scar. At many times early on in the process I said that getting an HT was the worst thing I’ve ever done. 

then time went on, my hair grew in, and now I have basically a full head of hair and I couldn’t be happier. For people prone to anxiety and depression, the short term after the surgery is really hard. 

Appreciate you sharing this. It really means a lot to me and to the many going through this difficult process.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since the surgery wasnt like what was shown and nor showcase as told, it is obviously depressing.  Inexperience i think was a big factor when my journey started, and marketing had a lot to do with it probably, including surgery protocol.  Now, i am struggling to get this fixed after so many years.  Damage was done and clearly caused issues.  I am close to 40 now and been suffering for many years since this journey started.  

• 10 months later...

Lowk,

As a four-time hair transplant patient, I can definitely relate to what you’re going through - especially the first time when I didn’t know that much about the procedure.  At first, I was pretty excited thinking about my new head of hair but then all the doubts creeped in. How do I know that the procedure really works? How do I know that the doctor I selected isn’t a quack? Why were technicians working on my scalp more than the doctor? Why were the technicians laughing and giggling about social endeavors rather than focusing on my scalp?  The more I thought about it, the more I became concerned and worried whether or not I made the biggest mistake of my life.  Then, my “depression“ became even worse when I started experiencing shock loss between 8 to 10 weeks postop.  

All that to say however, I was comforted when I began to see signs of new growth each and every month after the third month.  Of course, I was hoping for more after my first procedure but I really didn’t understand how many grafts I required until I really spent time researching the procedure and learning about what hair transplant surgery really can accomplish.  In hindsight, I wish I did all of my research prior to my first procedure as I very likely would have gone to a different doctor the first time around, not to say the first doctor didn’t do a good job but I simply need more and there were other doctors doing larger procedures even back in 2004 and still producing outstanding results.  Note that the first doctor I went to was a local doctor in Pennsylvania.  

But considering I had advanced degrees of balding, I realized that I needed to focus on the long-term and after four hair transplants, I am very satisfied with my results and my last hair transplant was literally 15 years ago. My results have held up wonderfully and now I have the privilege of helping and supporting others who are either considering the procedure or have gone through it.

All I can say is, if you’ve selected a surgeon with a proven track record of producing outstanding results, you should be just fine.  Without knowing much about your specific situation, just know that sometimes more than one hair transplant is required and hopefully you spoke to your surgeon about not only your short-term goals related to this past procedure but your long-term goals in terms of what to expect over the years especially if you lose more hair and how to meet your ultimate goals.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

@J-C

Good looks.  I didn’t notice the original date but at least anyone new reading this will get some valuable information.  In the meantime, I’m sure you’re right about the potential spammer.   I suggest messaging Melvin, the moderator as I know he keeps an eye out 🙂

Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

8 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@J-C

Good looks.  I didn’t notice the original date but at least anyone new reading this will get some valuable information.  In the meantime, I’m sure you’re right about the potential spammer.   I suggest messaging Melvin, the moderator as I know he keeps an eye out 🙂

Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Lol I have a eye for spammers/shillers… no need to report this one YET ! That will be when/If the obligatory hyperlink appears 😂

On 6/19/2021 at 10:51 PM, lowk said:

Anyone here feel depressed after a hair transplant having to wait for a long year for growth or any growth for that matter? How do you cope with that?

It's a common experience for anyone after a hair transplant.

A lot of people say that post operation is more stressful than the operation itself.

All you need is patience my friend and remember that by month 6 you'll be so happy with the result. :)

1 minute ago, SeanToman said:

It's a common experience for anyone after a hair transplant.

A lot of people say that post operation is more stressful than the operation itself.

All you need is patience my friend and remember that by month 6 you'll be so happy with the result. :)

He posted that 11 months ago, maybe he will come back and update at 12 months now the thread has been bumped. 

• Thanks 1