Anyone here felt depressed post op?

between week 4 and 8 it is hard too see a lot of hair fall and the stabilisation the few weeks after too, also the stress that something is going wrong is present

But around week 10 you can start seeing small improvements and it really boosts you
It's kind like when you started at the gym and you see your first results, it pushes you to go hard and you get in a virtuous cycle. Except here you just have to wait !

• Moderators

I think most people worry that they will be one of the botch jobs they have seen. Unfortunately some people will end up in a bad situation. The best way to reduce the risk of that is to research and go to a Dr who has a reputation of performing good quality hair transplants.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I get depressed from the staples and pain for the first 2 weeks 😭 i get depressed because lack of comfortable sleep, thorough shower, no t shirts, no outside/sun, etc. Once the staples get removed on day 14 and get to buzz cut my hair and shower ohmyygawdddd 🥴

On 5/18/2022 at 6:02 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Lowk,

As a four-time hair transplant patient, I can definitely relate to what you’re going through - especially the first time when I didn’t know that much about the procedure.  At first, I was pretty excited thinking about my new head of hair but then all the doubts creeped in. How do I know that the procedure really works? How do I know that the doctor I selected isn’t a quack? Why were technicians working on my scalp more than the doctor? Why were the technicians laughing and giggling about social endeavors rather than focusing on my scalp?  The more I thought about it, the more I became concerned and worried whether or not I made the biggest mistake of my life.  Then, my “depression“ became even worse when I started experiencing shock loss between 8 to 10 weeks postop.  

All that to say however, I was comforted when I began to see signs of new growth each and every month after the third month.  Of course, I was hoping for more after my first procedure but I really didn’t understand how many grafts I required until I really spent time researching the procedure and learning about what hair transplant surgery really can accomplish.  In hindsight, I wish I did all of my research prior to my first procedure as I very likely would have gone to a different doctor the first time around, not to say the first doctor didn’t do a good job but I simply need more and there were other doctors doing larger procedures even back in 2004 and still producing outstanding results.  Note that the first doctor I went to was a local doctor in Pennsylvania.  

But considering I had advanced degrees of balding, I realized that I needed to focus on the long-term and after four hair transplants, I am very satisfied with my results and my last hair transplant was literally 15 years ago. My results have held up wonderfully and now I have the privilege of helping and supporting others who are either considering the procedure or have gone through it.

All I can say is, if you’ve selected a surgeon with a proven track record of producing outstanding results, you should be just fine.  Without knowing much about your specific situation, just know that sometimes more than one hair transplant is required and hopefully you spoke to your surgeon about not only your short-term goals related to this past procedure but your long-term goals in terms of what to expect over the years especially if you lose more hair and how to meet your ultimate goals.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Can we see your hair? I'd love to se what 4 transplants looks like 

In my experience, I felt like I did something good after getting my procedures done. But then months later post-op, when I see things aren't progressing as well as I hoped, I start feeling disappointed that I may have to spend more time and money on another procedure.