Please assess my density and tell me what you recommend (NW 2.5 vertex)

Ronnieman

Hi guys,

Here are some pics of me today.

I seem to be NW 2.5 vertex.

I don't really shed or lose hair at all, but my hair is very thin, just like my mother's.

I turn 32 in a month.

How am I looking, and what would you recommend?

20201220_133407.thumb.jpg.fdd8ec40f23d10491330b407deaa2b24.jpg20201220_133341.thumb.jpg.7b0856d77104432ab33aa719d0742cb4.jpg20201220_133315.thumb.jpg.64c60f655b41299d1c7027e016f16704.jpg20201220_133428.thumb.jpg.9aa929e02bccc4a1ce386ecde42f3cee.jpg20201220_133440.thumb.jpg.a87c54298b071682ed6bfe4c28e046ea.jpg20201220_133503.thumb.jpg.e152fda02f04837284d5f3552309f8a8.jpg

20201220_123011.thumb.jpg.6c6c2a39e96c14172d9ae430892ec84e.jpg20201220_123009.thumb.jpg.fc64a6421986d3b211c6f59de8a11e49.jpg

Edited by Ronnieman

• Ronnieman changed the title to Please assess my density and tell me what you recommend (NW 2.5 vertex)
15 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

I'd recommend Finasteride and a gym membership.

Second part it a bit uncalled for but I don't really mind.

I don't wish to take Finasteride. Was looking for other recommendations.

Probably should've mentioned it in the OP.

35 minutes ago, Ronnieman said:

Second part it a bit uncalled for but I don't really mind.

I don't wish to take Finasteride. Was looking for other recommendations.

Probably should've mentioned it in the OP.

• RU58841

• CB-03-01

• Topical Finasteride or Dutasteride. You can get the topical Fin off Ebay.

• PRP. Some claim this has given them positive results, but treatment has to be continued or the benefits fade.

• Specialty topical mixes from a compounding pharmacy. Medical Wellness Center offers these, as do other online pharmacies.

• Dermarolling

• Shave your head

• Hair systems

• Like 1

@PizzaWolf, don't you think it's too early to mention hair systems and gym memberships and shaving it all off? :) OP is 32 and his hair loss is not terrible. 

I agree with the rest, a topical antiandrogen would be a great solution. There's a thread on topical dutasteride where we discussed why side effects are not experienced.

• Like 1

Mate, you look absolutely gorgeous! Don't do anything at the moment. 

You're way more lucky than other 32 year olds and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. 

You don't need hair systems - perhaps you could try a hairline and temple correction if you really feel bothered by it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

@PizzaWolf, don't you think it's too early to mention hair systems and gym memberships and shaving it all off? :) OP is 32 and his hair loss is not terrible. 

I agree with the rest, a topical antiandrogen would be a great solution. There's a thread on topical dutasteride where we discussed why side effects are not experienced.

No. I think all of those are viable alternatives to obsessing about his hair. Every moment you spend worrying about your hair is a moment you aren't enjoying life to its fullest.

If I had suggested something like "gender reassignment surgery with complete estrogen supplementation" then I would agree that was too extreme. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Haddock said:

Mate, you look absolutely gorgeous! Don't do anything at the moment. 

You're way more lucky than other 32 year olds and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. 

You don't need hair systems - perhaps you could try a hairline and temple correction if you really feel bothered by it. 

3 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Thank you guys, yes I realize for a (nearly) 32 year old head of hair it is pretty good.

I think something topical would be the way to go as well. I will look into topical anti androgens.

If I really start paying attention to this area now, hopefully I can look 'gorgeous' for a decade plus to come ;)

@PizzaWolf

The hairline doesn't bother me as I have always had a high hairline. It hasn't really gone back that much in 10 years.

It's more the lack of density on the right side and back. 

Thanks for outlining a good list of treatments.  Good to know the full arsenal.

Baffled at the hair system suggestions.. that I can't wrap my head around. 

You have a lot of hair to maintain, get on meds and you will likely stabilize a great deal. Maybe you'll need a transplant in the future, but I don't think its necessary now, but if you start saving and planning now you'll be in a great position. 

• Like 2

Your hairloss is pretty minor, I doubt any casual person would think of you as having hairloss. However, I do understand the anxiety/obsession that comes with even minor hairloss or other signs of aging. My suggestion would be to take Fin. Kind of a no-brainer. Your hairloss will only get worse if you don't take it. 

I'm not sure your level of hair loss warrants a hair transplant just yet. Even if you go to one of the best HT docs in the world, something could go wrong and you could look much worse off than you do in your current state. It's a gamble that makes more sense for people who are truly balding or have a receding hairline. But is that a risk you want to take at your very minor level of hairloss?

You honestly may want to look into a hair system. Even great hair transplants may not be 100% perfect. With your level of scrutiny, it seems like you would be only happy with absolutely perfect hair, which is something only a hair system could guarantee.  

Edited by DenverBuff1989
  • Like 1

You have no problem, not even NW1.

Surgery will just botched you right now.

• Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

To do anything surgical would be a huge mistake at the moment. I would commence finasteride. You have a great natural head of hair! All the best!

Thank you.

I went to the gym today for the first time in 9 months, and did notice it looked a bit thinner than a year ago.

It's probably just me noticeing though. 

I am a bit afraid of finasteride, but I will consider all options in the coming 12 months.

Perhaps SMP for the back.

About the gym, don't go too crazy, like buffing out with supplements/steriods/etc, ultimately hair loss comes down to the DHT sensitivity of your hair follicles. The higher your testosterone the more of it gets converted to DHT, and then circulates in your blood and latches on to your hair follicle receptors.

7 hours ago, ciaus said:

About the gym, don't go too crazy, like buffing out with supplements/steriods/etc, ultimately hair loss comes down to the DHT sensitivity of your hair follicles. The higher your testosterone the more of it gets converted to DHT, and then circulates in your blood and latches on to your hair follicle receptors.

I would not consider doing any steroids, and would only consider TRT after 40.

Natural bodybuilding shouldn't be a problem, especially considering I'm not naturally a very muscular or very high testosterone guy.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, Ronnieman said:

I would not consider doing any steroids, and would only consider TRT after 40.

Natural bodybuilding shouldn't be a problem, especially considering I'm not naturally a very muscular or very high testosterone guy.

As my generic cautionary advice, TRT will almost certainly accelerate any predisposition for hair loss (especially if you're not on medication) regardless of how old you are when you start it.

I think not trying Finasteride is a mistake, but that's your call. Certainly if you opt not to do this you should be looking at some of the other medical treatment suggested in the thread. Surgery would be extremely risky at the moment and your hair loss isn't very severe. A topical anti-androgen and/or 5ar inhibitor is necessary to slow or prevent any further loss.

Minoxidil is also an easy addition and may provide some regtowth. It could very well fill in some of that thinning in the crown since it's so minor.

Edit: I personally wouldn't do SMP at this point for multiple reasons. Save more extreme options like that for after you have gauged your response to medical treatments. Even temporary trichopigmentation could stay in your scalp for years, and it will look very bizarre if you thin too much in a particular area and the pigment starts showing through in an area where no hair is present.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well guys, my hairline definately has gone back in the last 3+ months, on both corners and at the front.

It seems like I'm well on my way to norwood 3.

Density at the crown is noticeably less too.

I first realized it 2 weeks ago when I got a haircut.

I have ordered Gorilla grow, will start with topical oils (that contain a bit of Saw Palmetto) for now.

But I am thinking of gettin on topical finasteride soon.

To be honest the difference is pretty significant in how my hair looks overall, at least to me.

Here we go, the journey of trying to keep/get back a norwood 2.5 or better hairline begins

20210331_163501.thumb.jpg.0cb70a870b3b058827cfb21bd13f32ad.jpg20210331_163516.thumb.jpg.bbe4af8870e35310a988b52d7a11a901.jpg20210331_163527.thumb.jpg.0902616188a0e57cd705f7604cb129d0.jpg

I wouldn't even call it NW2, your are your own worst self critic. You have caught it incredibly early, with finasteride you will very likely keep at least what you have for many many years to come. You have a 96% chance of no side effects, and 98% with placebo. Don't waste your time on products that don't work. Minoxidil/laser cap/needling will work to a lesser extent, but require a lot of maintenance and bypass the route cause.

Good luck!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, j1mmy said:

I wouldn't even call it NW2, your are your own worst self critic. You have caught it incredibly early, with finasteride you will very likely keep at least what you have for many many years to come. You have a 96% chance of no side effects, and 98% with placebo. Don't waste your time on products that don't work. Minoxidil/laser cap/needling will work to a lesser extent, but require a lot of maintenance and bypass the route cause.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply and well wishes.

I am gathering information every day and will have to make some bold moves!

• Like 1

@Ronnieman

Based on your photos, your hair in general is looking good and I would agree with @j1mmy.
My only advice in response to your comment -

3 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

But I am thinking of gettin on topical finasteride soon.

Dont wait too long. If you are open to using medication and intend to at some point, then the waiting / interim time could prove crucial with any hair loss that you will not get back. If you feel that your hair is beginning to decline and medication is on your agenda, then begin that bit sooner. I have known many guys who have said they will begin when their hair loss gets that much worse, but this in itself has no logic. Stabilise and strengthen what you have, and you may never have to consider surgical or other options.

• Like 4

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I agree with the above advice, this is not a Norwood 2.5 even. Debatable 2 tbh. To retain you need oral or topical fin and if your choosing that route then start ASAP definitely don’t delay. Especially as you mentioned some possible loss in the last few months ! Fin and Minox is the classic combo. If you don’t get sides then great. You have so much hair to retain at present ! 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 2

Well @JohnAC71 @Raphael84  @j1mmyyou have convinced me.

I purchased a topical fin/minox combination an hour ago. It should ship in a couple of weeks.

I think you're right, why delay it, especially as I have seen a bit of loss in density over the past 3 months, and was always gonna try topical fin anyway.

I have ordered a low dose topical fin mixed with 6% minox which I will start once a week.

So the journey truly begins now.

Edited by Ronnieman
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ronnieman said:

Well @JohnAC71 @Raphael84  @j1mmyyou have convinced me.

I purchased a topical fin/minox combination an hour ago. It should ship in a couple of weeks.

I think you're right, why delay it, especially as I have seen a bit of loss in density over the past 3 months, and was always gonna try topical fin anyway.

I have ordered a low dose topical fin mixed with 6% minox which I will start once a week.

So the journey truly begins now.

Perfect, well done :). Take comfort in the fact that you have found the only two FDA-approved medications for the treatment of hair loss. No onion juice here ;)

Mature to start cautiously, I respect that. If I could start my journey all over again, over 10 years back, I would personally start by taking fin twice initially, but minoxidil daily (before bed means you don't have to have it on during the day). So if I was getting them combined, twice a week initially seems slow but steady. I have no experience taking them combined, so perhaps others have experience there.

I am sure you have read around this a lot, but remember that when you start taking these effective treatments, it is possible to see your hair loss become slightly worse for 1-2 months before the improvement starts. The hairs in the resting phase, that have been miniaturizing (thinning and shrinking) and contributing to your impression of losing hair, will be forced to shed, in order to come back stronger. Everyone goes through it, it is perfectly normal :).

Please check in and let us know how you get on!

• Thanks 1