28 vs 35 years old *my hair

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

What an incredible journey I’ve been on, from being a bald 28 year old, desperate to have just “some hair” to now a 35 year old, greedy for more! I post this as a reminder, and let it be a reminder to all of us, we always want more, hair, money, etc.

But how often do we sit back and see how far we’ve come? Now is my hair perfect? Hell no! But I’m 100x better off than I was in my late 20’s. Do I wish I had more hair in the crown, a lower hairline, better temple points? Yea, but I’m also happy with myself and my results. 

Left picture I was 28 just had surgery, right picture taken now (35), out of a shower no concealer at all. I keep wrestling with the idea of getting more, and more, but this is a nice reminder of how far I’ve come. Lots of love to this forum and community. I would’ve never made it this far without it.

56025F7D-A853-4A60-BB22-5E303B170984.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Your hair looks great Melvin.  Even at my age now I'm considering going to Dr Mohebi for a touch up.  The desire to look good and feel good about your appearance never fades.   

Edited by voxman
  • Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, voxman said:

Your hair looks great Melvin.  Even at my age now I'm considering going to Dr Mohebi for a touch up.  The desire to look good and feel good about your appearance never fades.   

That’s true, I wish I had a dollar every time someone said “I won’t care what I’ll look like when I’m 50” 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I think people sometimes forget you've had one of the best transformations on here. 

You could, and you will do, I am sure, one day take it to the next level and throw in a few thousand beard grafts, and finish off your final 1500-2000 scalp grafts that you have remaining if I remember correctly - however if you are content for now, then there is no rush, and like you have pointed out - one must only compare himself to his prior self, as opposed to the brad pitt's of the world. 

What are your next steps going to be . . you seem interested in trying oral minoxidil from your latest video collabs and posts, did you ever get hold of that CB stuff . . and did you maintain your dermarolling routine? 

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I think people sometimes forget you've had one of the best transformations on here. 

You could, and you will do, I am sure, one day take it to the next level and throw in a few thousand beard grafts, and finish off your final 1500-2000 scalp grafts that you have remaining if I remember correctly - however if you are content for now, then there is no rush, and like you have pointed out - one must only compare himself to his prior self, as opposed to the brad pitt's of the world. 

What are your next steps going to be . . you seem interested in trying oral minoxidil from your latest video collabs and posts, did you ever get hold of that CB stuff . . and did you maintain your dermarolling routine? 

Thanks, 

I will start taking oral minoxidil. I’m gonna get a script this weekend. I’ll probably start a thread and a video series from it. I was gonna take cb, but I’m not sure I trust these sources, it’s all from China. I feel better taking a legitimate drug from a real pharmaceutical company.

View my thread

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I’m 50 next year, I care just as much now as I ever have. Hence Ht 6 being planned. 

Hahaha that’s awesome mate, I reckon I’ll be right up there with ya. 

View my thread

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Kruchie said:

Your results are amazing, quite inspiring actually, really pleased for you. 

It’s been a journey, well see if oral minoxidil will help boost a little more hair.

• Like 1

View my thread

Melvin,

Really cracking result, man! It's easy to lose perspective at times. The fact you were basically NW7 and now you're back to like a NW2 with nice, long hair is a major achievement unto itself. I'm shown results like these and reminded that perfection isn't something I should be striving for and honestly, being conservative with remaining grafts is a smart way to go.

How many total grafts have you had placed to this point? How many procedures, just the one?

I think I'm going to try dermarolling around the 6 month mark after my HT heals. Gonna look into oral Minox, too. We can use that in combination with Fin, right?

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Peezus said:

Melvin,

Really cracking result, man! It's easy to lose perspective at times. The fact you were basically NW7 and now you're back to like a NW2 with nice, long hair is a major achievement unto itself. I'm shown results like these and reminded that perfection isn't something I should be striving for and honestly, being conservative with remaining grafts is a smart way to go.

How many total grafts have you had placed to this point? How many procedures, just the one?

I think I'm going to try dermarolling around the 6 month mark after my HT heals. Gonna look into oral Minox, too. We can use that in combination with Fin, right?

Man, 

I’m delighted to read this post, it shows me that you’re thinking a lot more instead of acting from emotion. Hair transplants are never meant to be perfect, we should never chase perfection through surgery.

I’ve had three procedures and about 5,300 grafts via FUE

• Like 2

View my thread

This is still a good example of what you can likely expect if you're not some kind of outlier and make smart choices. High severity hair loss with a non-elite donor area. Good coverage and design achieved over the course of several years.

This is the kind of result most young guys should be looking at when they consider a transplant, as well as the story behind it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What an incredible journey I’ve been on, from being a bald 28 year old, desperate to have just “some hair” to now a 35 year old, greedy for more! I post this as a reminder, and let it be a reminder to all of us, we always want more, hair, money, etc.

But how often do we sit back and see how far we’ve come? Now is my hair perfect? Hell no! But I’m 100x better off than I was in my late 20’s. Do I wish I had more hair in the crown, a lower hairline, better temple points? Yea, but I’m also happy with myself and my results. 

Left picture I was 28 just had surgery, right picture taken now (35), out of a shower no concealer at all. I keep wrestling with the idea of getting more, and more, but this is a nice reminder of how far I’ve come. Lots of love to this forum and community. I would’ve never made it this far without it.

56025F7D-A853-4A60-BB22-5E303B170984.jpeg

Melvin,

Incredible change! And you still have for sure at least one more procedure to go for... I would bet that with 1500-1800 and that oral minox and finas to maintain, and you are done... even though as you say, you then will WANT MORE AND MORE 😀 ... we always want more of everything, money, hair, love... but I believe HAPPINESS is the final destination that we should look for, and I see that you are really happy!

Many thanks for all your info and sharing your journey, it´s surely an inspiration for us looking to someday jump into the HT adventure! I´m still looking at my options to find the best doctor ha ha... but my reduced current budget might postpone my complete Happyness for a good while 😒 ... However, loving to see all the stories here in the Forum!

Thanks again and congrats on your amazing transformation!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Man, 

I’m delighted to read this post, it shows me that you’re thinking a lot more instead of acting from emotion. Hair transplants are never meant to be perfect, we should never chase perfection through surgery.

I’ve had three procedures and about 5,300 grafts via FUE

Mind DMing me your donor area? I've only hit the 4k mark and I know it's never 1 to 1, but honestly dude hearing about your story is giving me a good deal of hope.

2 minutes ago, OliverAtom said:

Melvin,

Incredible change! And you still have for sure at least one more procedure to go for... I would bet that with 1500-1800 and that oral minox and finas to maintain, and you are done... even though as you say, you then will WANT MORE AND MORE 😀 ... we always want more of everything, money, hair, love... but I believe HAPPINESS is the final destination that we should look for, and I see that you are really happy!

Many thanks for all your info and sharing your journey, it´s surely an inspiration for us looking to someday jump into the HT adventure! I´m still looking at my options to find the best doctor ha ha... but my reduced current budget might postpone my complete Happyness for a good while 😒 ... However, loving to see all the stories here in the Forum!

Thanks again and congrats on your amazing transformation!

Coming from someone who had 2 HT at a turkish hair mill because it's all I could afford--trust me, it's better to take your time and find the right place rather than jumping into it with whatever place will have you and you can swing. Be very very deliberate with your surgeon and make sure it's a result you're going to love. I currently have some pretty horrendous scars because I cut corners and that's something I'm going to have to live with for life.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Peezus said:

Coming from someone who had 2 HT at a turkish hair mill because it's all I could afford--trust me, it's better to take your time and find the right place rather than jumping into it with whatever place will have you and you can swing. Be very very deliberate with your surgeon and make sure it's a result you're going to love. I currently have some pretty horrendous scars because I cut corners and that's something I'm going to have to live with for life.

Thanks for you honest advice and so sorry to hear about your Turkey experience 😔

As you say, it´s crutial nowadays to take our time and find the right place. I will take all the time it needs (that will also help my savings 😃) to then go for the best I can afford!

• Administrators

I wanted to share an honest reality, which is how my hair looks when wet, no one ever does this, and while we always want to out our best foot forward- it helps others see to how hair looks in “wet hair, or unflattering angles.” Again, by no means is my hair perfect and maybe it never will be, but it’s all about expectations and acknowledging the changes.

7D09C04D-4D63-48EC-93A8-21D4000367BC.jpeg

• Like 2

View my thread

Hey Melvin. Have you got any pics of your hair grown out before your transplant. I'm a similar age to you so am curious to see where you started from and what I can expect, The pictures you have always are with your head shaved short so it's hard to compare your before and after as it seems more drastic than it may have been. Good result non the less. 

Also are there some results of patients who are not on finasteride after 10years or so as I am seeing more and more cases of patients not on finasteride loosing their hair eventually. I can't seem to find on the search function unfortunately and I understand you don't take the drug as I won't due to sides. 

Many thanks

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Zoobz said:

Hey Melvin. Have you got any pics of your hair grown out before your transplant. I'm a similar age to you so am curious to see where you started from and what I can expect, The pictures you have always are with your head shaved short so it's hard to compare your before and after as it seems more drastic than it may have been. Good result non the less. 

Also are there some results of patients who are not on finasteride after 10years or so as I am seeing more and more cases of patients not on finasteride loosing their hair eventually. I can't seem to find on the search function unfortunately and I understand you don't take the drug as I won't due to sides. 

Many thanks

My hair wasn’t shaved, it stopped growing from miniaturization. The reason why it looked short was because it didn’t grow. I had to keep cutting the sides to match the shrinking top. That is the balding process. These pics were before my HT. I can’t show you it grown out, because it didn’t grow. Hope that helps.

BF98EF4C-6E69-4118-91F5-7C1284D120F9.jpeg

92B868E7-DB14-40A3-940C-CFAB942FA2F2.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

Thanks Melvin. Crystal clear, appreciate your honesty and clarity with pics as always. Just to ask again can you direct me to some example of long term hair transplants 10+ years without medication, I understand your not on finasteride so you may have insight on this.

Thanks

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Coady said:

What’s the crown like without concealer ? 

View my thread

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Zoobz said:

Thanks Melvin. Crystal clear, appreciate your honesty and clarity with pics as always. Just to ask again can you direct me to some example of long term hair transplants 10+ years without medication, I understand your not on finasteride so you may have insight on this.

Thanks

No finasteride 

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Your hair is amazing now. Why did you btw not used some grafs on the crown? Is it difficult to get it back? 

will finasteride make sure that one don’t lose the crown or?