5,000 FUE * Mid-June 2018 * Progress

CosmoKramer

18 minutes ago, Lennney said:

Good haircut, you're on your way to that reference pic! Gotta grow out the front some more and start using hair product.

Looks good! I also just got a haircut, actually. First one in last 2 months.

Thanks @Lennney!

Finding the proper hair style is now the issue, good issue to have though haha

Ive been watching some Beardbrand channel videos on YouTube lately for tips.

Nice! Looking forward seeing more your progress updates.

1 hour ago, SprayPaint said:

Looks really good with the haircut @CosmoKramer

Have you (or has anyone for that matter) found a good conditioner that really helps take some of the awkward kink out of the newly growing hair?

Thanks man! 

Your progress is looking really good too!

Yeah, I purchased and used the Avalon Organics Biotin Conditioner which is free of harsh chemicals....although lately I’ve purchased a saline spray for hair just to try and it also seems to be helping to naturally condition and moisturizer the hair and scalp without weighing it down too much like the conditioner (I used it on my hair in the most recent photos I posted for 11th month).

https://www.amazon.com/John-Frieda-Beach-Blonde-Ounces/dp/B00P1NBL40?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally at the 1-year (and a few days) mark post my FUE procedure w/Dr Erdogan @ ASMED

Overall, considering where my hair loss was over a year ago and looking back, I am very pleased. The process started out slow but then flew by. There were up’s and down’s but I don’t regret it at all. Could there be room for improvement, yes, I do wish there was more density in my mid scalp and crown, I do wish that my corners of my temples that meet the hairline were filled in some, i do wish that the hair on my sides wasn’t so grey and matched the new hair ( haha) but none of that is the fault of Dr Erdogan and the team at ASMED as I think they did their best with what they had to work with, so no regrets here.

I am still seeing improvement, I do notice that the hair at my midscalp and crown is getting slightly thicker...now, In all honesty I don’t know for sure if that is just from the HT maturation process still progressing or if it’s due to that I have started microneedling those areas (but mostly all over) once a week a month now and started using Minoxidil 5% lotion once a day (not on day I microneedle) as well as Nizoral shampoos 1 to 2 times a week. The interesting thing is that I did suffer hair shedding the first two weeks of doing the microneedling/minoxidil/Nizoral regimen so seeing that I shed a good amount of native hairs and still see that there has been some progress is interesting and I plan to continue and stay consistent.

I’ll post some photos from today. The first couple are of my hair wet after a shower and shampoo and just combed, the rest are of the hair air dryed with no hair products of any kind and also just combed with a basic comb. Also, if more, the hair at my frontal area is about 3”+long and the hair at my mid scalp and crown is about 2”+ Long.

33A3255A-AA03-421D-8E36-0DF148B660AB.jpeg

F4061111-6653-442C-8F75-A87B5BD508F8.jpeg

B59B762C-3B6C-4FBE-88E1-3B77BC06CFCD.jpeg

3B2597B3-4877-4D4A-8618-D966B103BC62.jpeg

0D192E31-3EB0-4A59-B3C5-D4B4980E4F77.jpeg

Hair looks good! I know you put some hair in the back areas, and I hope that comes in, but everything looks very age appropriate. I checked out the pre-op photos and you've come a long way. You're unrecognizable! You may get stopped for impersonation if you use your id/ passport!😀

• Like 1

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

1 hour ago, Lennney said:

Hair looks good! I know you put some hair in the back areas, and I hope that comes in, but everything looks very age appropriate. I checked out the pre-op photos and you've come a long way. You're unrecognizable! You may get stopped for impersonation if you use your id/ passport!😀

Much thanks @Lennney!

Crown area is slightly improving but that may be due to now doing microneedling & Minoxidil, will see how well it helps over the next month or two.

Yeah, I agree, it’s a big change from pre-op and it’s been a good journey, nerve wracking at times but good.

Hahah, I actually just had to renew my passport and of course I took new photos, with more hair this time. 😂😀

Edited by CosmoKramer

Here is a photo from the back with bright flash from last week, I wanted to see if the shedding in the center swirl was bad due to the microneedling & Minoxidil and i seem to have just shed the weak miniaturized hairs so hopefully new stronger ones grow and fill it in.

B6F4F755-7BF1-46A0-8694-A90929BB1498.jpeg

Great Journey. Many congratulations for achieving a great successful result. 

All your hard work, patience seems to  pay off nicely for the very first HT with 5000 grafts, its day and night difference where you were when you started. I mean the flashback was great to see to compare for myself and your results provide positive hope to patients like me who are at 3 months post op right now :)

your 3 month vs 6 month comparison is the best I 've seen lately and I am hopeful that I also see something similar on my scalp in the next 3 months ( done first 3 months , so ideally shedding /shock loss should be over now )

thanks for sharing good details also. Much appreciated 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words man! @HLPToronto

Im happy with the results and the way my donor area has recovered given such a large number of grafts extracted 

Yeah, I think is always good to look back into ones progress photos to appreciate the progress and to have realistic expectations and to stay optimistic and patient.

Ive believe I’ve seen your recent photos as well and for your 3-months progress its looking good, and sure to improve over the next 3-6months and possibly beyond.

Happy Growing!

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Ive believe I’ve seen your recent photos as well and for your 3-months progress its looking good, and sure to improve over the next 3-6months and possibly beyond.

Happy Growing!

Thanks Cosmokramer.

Quick question : My assumption based on what was told :

Shedding phase due to shock and minoxidil rightafter HT should be first 3 months only. But , i am into 4th month and still see some baby new hairs on my hands after I rub minox nicely each night

When did you start feeling no more shedding ? Which month ? ( even after intense oil massage, no more hair stuck on hands/fallen into the sink ) 

I hate to see hair shedding and think minoxidil is still contributing towards shedding :( 

10 minutes ago, HLPToronto said:

Thanks Cosmokramer.

Quick question : My assumption based on what was told :

Shedding phase due to shock and minoxidil rightafter HT should be first 3 months only. But , i am into 4th month and still see some baby new hairs on my hands after I rub minox nicely each night

When did you start feeling no more shedding ? Which month ? ( even after intense oil massage, no more hair stuck on hands/fallen into the sink ) 

I hate to see hair shedding and think minoxidil is still contributing towards shedding :( 

If I recall, my shed from the Ht procedure started around week 3 post procedure and continued until around the end of my 2nd month. I may have accelerated my shed with the use of the nightly oil scalp massage but I was okay with it as I thought the faster the shed was over with the better for the rest phase to end and for the new grafts to start growing anew. To be honest I haven’t heard much about shedding beyond someone’s 3rd month unless it was native hair from shock or native miniaturizing hairs due to Minoxidil use.

As I have just started my microneedling routine and added minoxidil 5-% lotion 2-weeks ago I did experience shedding and I believe it’s just my native hairs responding, which I look as a positive because that means newer stronger hairs are pushing out the miniaturized. I had concerns that the minoxidil shed would affect my growing hairs from my grafts but it seems it hasn’t, and I’ve stopped shedding as of a few days ago, i now just shed 5-10 hairs when shampooing so not too bad.

Dont be to stressed out about the shedding, the hair will return just stay consistent with your post op care and routine.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jonyny said:

Looks good Cosmo,when is dry looks like a mop head ;)) in a good way

Hahaha 

Thanks jonyny, my hair has always been naturally wavy and if I don’t use any hair styling products or blow dryer (it’s been years) it looks out of control but I’ll take that “problem” over no hair. 😂

Noticing some slight hair thickening improvement in my midscalp & vertex thought I’d throw some photos on here.

Hair is not styled and no hair products at all. 1st photo is directly under 4-bright white led bathroom lights. 2nd is a short distance away from those lights. 3rd photo is I’ve circled the vertex hairs that look slightly improved but I hope get thicker over the next 6 months (which will make it the full 18-months timeline)

9172CBBF-3AC9-4A95-95D6-8AB813AA2D33.jpeg

26CC4F68-6F69-4CEF-BF81-F8708B835412.jpeg

4B7F4083-9424-4C92-A5B3-17BE2FC2AA48.jpeg

• Like 2

The gift that keeps on giving!  Are you planning to get a touch up for the crown?  I hear guys saying fin will do well in this area but the thought of side effects scares me a bit.  

Just when you thought the growing was over and then new growth keeps popping out.  Amazing results even if the crown isn't quite perfect.  

I haven't had a hair transplant yet but I was going to have my crown filled in a couple years back but cancelled the appointment a month out.  I have a good head of hair, just a thin crown that concealer takes care of for the time being.  My crown isn't progressing but isn't gaining any ground either so I might have to get it done in the future.  Minoxidil w/carrier lotion, microneedling and Nizoral has kept hair loss at bay but no new growth.  :(

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Qneedhair said:

The gift that keeps on giving!  Are you planning to get a touch up for the crown?  I hear guys saying fin will do well in this area but the thought of side effects scares me a bit.  

Just when you thought the growing was over and then new growth keeps popping out.  Amazing results even if the crown isn't quite perfect.  

I haven't had a hair transplant yet but I was going to have my crown filled in a couple years back but cancelled the appointment a month out.  I have a good head of hair, just a thin crown that concealer takes care of for the time being.  My crown isn't progressing but isn't gaining any ground either so I might have to get it done in the future.  Minoxidil w/carrier lotion, microneedling and Nizoral has kept hair loss at bay but no new growth.  :(

Thanks for the kind comments! Much appreciated!

Im seeing hair thickening improvement but not really any more new growth popping out to be honest. A touch up in my crown and midscalp would be nice and a possibility. :)

I took Fin, sides were annoying but nothing to fear greatly and if you discontinue use things go back to normal.

Sometimes the timing for an HT isn’t right and that’s okay, when it is you’ll be confident in the process

Thats great that your only area of concern is your crown and that your loss has stabilized and you are proactive to protect your hair. I just started microneedling and minoxidil to see if things improve as well as added Nizoral once a week use.

54 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks for the kind comments! Much appreciated!

Im seeing hair thickening improvement but not really any more new growth popping out to be honest. A touch up in my crown and midscalp would be nice and a possibility. :)

I took Fin, sides were annoying but nothing to fear greatly and if you discontinue use things go back to normal.

Sometimes the timing for an HT isn’t right and that’s okay, when it is you’ll be confident in the process

Thats great that your only area of concern is your crown and that your loss has stabilized and you are proactive to protect your hair. I just started microneedling and minoxidil to see if things improve as well as added Nizoral once a week use.

1 hour ago, Qneedhair said:

Good luck to both of you with the micro needling. I am curious to see if you both can replicate the results I've seen online. I think micro needling is tough. I've never done it, and don't have a reason to start yet. I am 5.5 months into my HT journey, but I can't imagine doing MN consistently enough. I don't really do anything for my hair outside of popping pills, but you both are putting REAL effort in. I say best of luck and keep it up! It's a long process with HTs, but at least we know what signs to look for as well as the milestones to look for them. MN is tough because I feel like the journey is unknown, and the results may not be clear. Again, best of luck and keep us posted!

• Like 2

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

• Administrators

Wow looking absolutely fantastic 👏

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

41 minutes ago, Lennney said:

Good luck to both of you with the micro needling. I am curious to see if you both can replicate the results I've seen online. I think micro needling is tough. I've never done it, and don't have a reason to start yet. I am 5.5 months into my HT journey, but I can't imagine doing MN consistently enough. I don't really do anything for my hair outside of popping pills, but you both are putting REAL effort in. I say best of luck and keep it up! It's a long process with HTs, but at least we know what signs to look for as well as the milestones to look for them. MN is tough because I feel like the journey is unknown, and the results may not be clear. Again, best of luck and keep us posted!

Thanks @Lennney

Ive researched a while now and actually did use a derma roller a few years ago but not consistently and actually did notice I grew a few hairs around my bald pre-ht temple corners and the hairs hairs did grow strong and continued to even after I stopped MN for probably a year before my HT and are still there but I also think I did it incorrectly than the studies on MN suggested. 

I would definitely recommend anyone interested in microneedling in waiting at least 9-12 months after getting your HT as you want the results to show fully.

Also, I now know that for the best results from MN is to follow the Indian study and use a derma roller or pen or stamp with 1.5mm needles as opposed to .5mm I previously used, and importantly to give the scalp adequate time to heal at least 5-7 days between microneedling sessions, this gives the scalp time to heal and collagen time to create stem cells to turn into new hair follicles, which at my early mn stage and using a usb microscope I’ve seen new ones develop and hopefully they will mature in the next month or two. The Indian study concluded that even after the patients stopped microneedling and returned for an 18-month evaluation that the new hair remained and did not shed to loss unlike discontinuation of medication does. So I prefer doing this 1x a week and give it at least 6 months.

• Thanks 1

I think the donor management is as good as it gets and you chose an excellent doctor. The grafts seem to have grown well, although more in the crown will help add the finishing touch. I’m wondering one thing: is the hairline a bit rough from close up? I ask, because I heard people say that Erdogan is good for getting lots of grafts and conserving donor, and that one can go to him first for volume, and then another doc to create a soft hairline. Either way, it looks really good.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, Nebulosity said:

I think the donor management is as good as it gets and you chose an excellent doctor. The grafts seem to have grown well, although more in the crown will help add the finishing touch. I’m wondering one thing: is the hairline a bit rough from close up? I ask, because I heard people say that Erdogan is good for getting lots of grafts and conserving donor, and that one can go to him first for volume, and then another doc to create a soft hairline. Either way, it looks really good.

Thanks buddy!

Yeah, I would definitely agree that donor management is very important and if someone is going for their 1st HT fue procedure I would highly recommend going with a surgeon/clinic that will do manual fue, that way should you need a 2nd procedure your donor should be good and for the 2nd Ht it wouldn’t matter motorized or manual as long as your surgeon is good as well.

In regards to your hairline question, I wouldn’t say “rough” just very slightly blunt and in my opinion it’s due to the thickness of my single hair grafts as they are pretty thick and not due to any issue from the doc or tech, I will also add that I do see some newly grown fine short single hairs in front of those thick hairs so as they grow and mature and as time goes by I think it will look “softer” so I’m not concerned, the only thing I would change is if I could in hindsight is having my hairline just slightly lower by 1/4-1/3 of an inch lower, but that can be addressed in the future if I decide.