5,000 FUE * Mid-June 2018 * Progress

CosmoKramer

• 2 weeks later...

10.5 months post FUE procedure w/Dr Erdogan @ ASMED 

Im still seeing weekly improvement since last month, slight as it may be. A bit more density maybe but I am still growing long the transplanted hair and haven’t cut it since October to see how full and strong it gets , growth & thickening of newly grown fine hairs from months 8-9, the scraggly hairs in the vertex are also starting to get/grow better. 

I’m very pleased with the progress at this point, I would like the mid-toVertex area to thicken up more but if it doesn’t I know it’s because more grafts are needed there.

BA9F42F0-61CA-4B7F-9C04-56001307C888.jpeg

81471EFB-C391-423C-A697-B568AB4AFDE6.jpeg

A13B9534-0CA7-4019-94FA-1F9A1D0081F1.jpeg

4E814549-3547-4A14-8900-04129C6B350C.jpeg

3EE37069-4B3A-43D1-9D34-FF4A26A11EDA.jpeg

26642CF5-309F-490D-AB6E-9DB45865AA55.jpeg

6782FAD5-9BC4-4AE4-B98C-D240E3B56DDC.jpeg

6422A266-8252-46AF-97F1-80278EA5257E.jpeg

0F6915B7-56D1-44BD-9D47-F8F1AC94991E.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Kraistoff said:

Pretty sure that photo is of John Travolta in Grease! 

😂 that’s quite the compliment, much thanks @Kraistoff! 👌🏻

In that case I’m happy to do a Benjamin Button-Travolta progression. 😂

Edited by CosmoKramer

Thanks @Fozzie & @jonyny!

@Fozzie I took 1mg Finasteride for 10-months before the procedure as recommended by Dr Erdogan in order to strength my donor area and protect against shock loss, and I took it after the procedure only up until a little after my transplanted hairs shed, so I stoped taking Finasteride at 1.5 months post-op. I did not like some of the side effects I got from the drug and wanted to see how my HT progressed without it, and I didn’t have much native hair on top that I need Finasteride to save and protect.

• Moderators

Great results Cosmo, but I think it's time to cut your hair. A nice cut and dye maybe.

• Haha 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

15 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Great results Cosmo, but I think it's time to cut your hair. A nice cut and dye maybe.

Haha, thanks man!

Will probably do that for my 1year mark post-op, kinda letting the hair grow long just to see how well it grows, haven’t had my hair this long and combed back to show hairline probably since I was 25.

Might it might not dye it as I like this look and style:

CE668940-A790-449F-9940-70C15C42ABAD.jpeg

Edited by CosmoKramer

Looks great! Hard to believe how far it's come from pre-op days!

I think that style would look great! Make sure you find a good barber in the mean time.

Even if there is minimal progress with your vertex area, I think you can style your hair to minimize the appearance. Plus, most people don't get to see that part of your head, or don't really stare/notice anyway.

I mentioned elsewhere, but I do think some thining is fine. It makes it seem like you're mortal, and balding like the rest of us (general public). I think keeping that (at least for now, until it gets much worse) section a little thin will be fine. Enjoy your progress, you're unrecognizable from the eyebrows up!

• Like 1

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

17 minutes ago, Lennney said:

Looks great! Hard to believe how far it's come from pre-op days!

I think that style would look great! Make sure you find a good barber in the mean time.

Even if there is minimal progress with your vertex area, I think you can style your hair to minimize the appearance. Plus, most people don't get to see that part of your head, or don't really stare/notice anyway.

I mentioned elsewhere, but I do think some thining is fine. It makes it seem like you're mortal, and balding like the rest of us (general public). I think keeping that (at least for now, until it gets much worse) section a little thin will be fine. Enjoy your progress, you're unrecognizable from the eyebrows up!

Thanks @Lennney! I appreciate the compliment and comment!

Yeah, it’s been quite a journey, slow at first but now time is zipping by with progress that I’m really happy with, and for me it was well worth it all, no regrets.

Haha, will do, I’m in NYC so plenty of good barbers around to choose from. What help me style a bit easier my naturally wavy hair is I use a natural biotin hair conditioner after shampoo and leave it in for 5min then use a comb to style and let air dry and occasionally use a little matte clay.

i agree, for my age I don’t mind a thin looking crown/vertex area it’s age appropriate but there’s always that hair greed that kicks in when you are already pleased and think it could get just a bit better 😂

Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing your progression updates!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think the style and length of your hair around the 6th or 7th month looks pretty good. That length should look better now since your hair has gotten a bit thicker since then.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I think the style and length of your hair around the 6th or 7th month looks pretty good. That length should look better now since your hair has gotten a bit thicker since then.

Thanks man!

I do like my hair shorter as it’s easier to wash and manage and I do think if I get it cut back to the lenght at 7months it would look better than then, but I’ve always wanted to grow my frontal hair long enough to sweep it all the way back slicked back but Im even mulling over shaving it down to a #1 or #2 on the clippers haha

• 3 weeks later...

11-months & a few days post FUE procedure w/Dr Erdogan @ ASMED.

I wasn’t going to do an update as the hair seems similar to my 10.5 update but I did get a hair cut (fade on back and sides, around 2” length on mid scalp and 3” length I left on the frontal hairline area) so I thought I’d take a few photos and post. There’s a slight improvement in hair quality and thickness but it’s still slightly see through in my mid scalp and crown in harsh bright lighting but that’s because more grafts are needed. On the plus side, I did notice a few new newly grown fine hairs in the hairline since last week.

A6EFBCAC-07E3-4B96-ABC8-24A50FA1CADB.jpeg

B60D6417-7144-4E7C-B9FD-3C8D5BDC3D62.jpeg

E56AEDA6-1A0B-4834-B6E3-64374948E403.jpeg

8A32DEE1-C7C2-4CFC-83EA-640199BFDDE1.jpeg

15A4E2CD-0231-4103-8358-1EBA487CD0C9.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting that you went with the fade on the sides and back. Are the donor area scars noticeable?  I was told that even though an FUE claim is "less scarring" do you find this to be true in your opinion?  

Are you plannng to address the mid scalp and crown or are you satisfied?  If you plan on doing it, did the Dr say how many grafts it would take?

Sorry for all the questions, sometimes I spot people that have FUE and FUT scars because they choose to cut very low in the donor area.  I'm wondering how low can you go without anyone noticing? 

1 hour ago, Qneedhair said:

Interesting that you went with the fade on the sides and back. Are the donor area scars noticeable?  I was told that even though an FUE claim is "less scarring" do you find this to be true in your opinion?  

Are you plannng to address the mid scalp and crown or are you satisfied?  If you plan on doing it, did the Dr say how many grafts it would take?

Sorry for all the questions, sometimes I spot people that have FUE and FUT scars because they choose to cut very low in the donor area.  I'm wondering how low can you go without anyone noticing? 

Don’t be sorry for asking questions, I’m glad to answer.

The reason I went with the a zero-skin fade actually on my sides and back because the hair there is much more grey and the new transplanted hairs on top seem to be growing like my original hair color I had 15 years ago (hair started getting salt & pepper since I was around 27 years old) so the difference in contrast occasionally annoys me nothing serious and I thought now that summer is approaching to give it another go. 

Honestly, I cannot really see the donor scars when using a mirror to mirror to look, nor could my barber or friends and family see anything noticeable, it could be that my donor healed very well and that my skin has good collagen to heal and the fact that the extractions were done manually and I believe with a 0.7mm punch if I recall.

For myself I chose the FUE route because I did not want a FUT linear scar, but both methods can and do create unavoidable scars. Everyone is different on how they heal and how their body creates scars, I’ve been lucky even when I’ve had bad acne in my youth it never left scars.

At the moment I’m very satisfied with how everything went, from contact with the clinic to procedure to growth, this time last year my hair loss was bad and I’m glad to have my hair on top back. Yes, I could use a touch-up to fill in sparse area in my mid scalp and crown as less grafts were placed there, Dr Erdogan quoted 8,100+ available graft in my donor area during my pre-op evaluation so if that’s truly accurate then I should have around 3k grafts available for any future ht fue should I choose to. I think another 1,500-2,000 in my mid scalp and crown would do the trick to make it less see through.

Yeah, scarring from either method could be concerning for someone who likes to have a short cut, buzz cut, skin fade on the donor area but for myself this was a skin fade at 0 on the back and sides and I can’t say what it would look like for others honestly, that’s something that you could only know 6-12 months after a procedure.

Dr. Erdogan @ ASMED should use your before/after pics to post on his website to show off his work, unless he already has?  I wish all transplant procedures could have your outcome but sometimes overharvesting, scarring or slow or minimal growth happens to people and their results are dissapointing.

Going to Turkey might be the only turn-off if I ever decided to go and have it done.  Was it cost or Dr. reputation or both that helped you to decide on this particular clinic? 

Congratulations on your HT journey, well wishes to you and enjoy your new hair!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Qneedhair said:

Dr. Erdogan @ ASMED should use your before/after pics to post on his website to show off his work, unless he already has?  I wish all transplant procedures could have your outcome but sometimes overharvesting, scarring or slow or minimal growth happens to people and their results are dissapointing.

Going to Turkey might be the only turn-off if I ever decided to go and have it done.  Was it cost or Dr. reputation or both that helped you to decide on this particular clinic? 

Congratulations on your HT journey, well wishes to you and enjoy your new hair!  

Thank you, appreciate the compliments!

They usually post patient results after 18-months progress and if patient gives permission.

I think we all wish a successful result for everyone that goes through these types of procedures, I know I do, no matter the doctor or clinic, but your points are very true, it all depends on doctor skill, over harvesting, physiology and from what I’ve seen EVERY doctor/clinic has occasionally had sub par results from the top elite to the cheap.

I wouldn’t be turned off by traveling to Turkey, I too had concerns and fears as I’d never traveled that far overseas and alone but i just said f@ck it and did it, and I had a great time in Istanbul, the people were very friendly (those that spoke English), the food was delicious, the weather and atmosphere was nice, things are really inexpensive there, the historical areas were cool to see, I was there for a little over 2-weeks for my procedure and recovery and I would go back if I had to to be honest.

For me, it was both cost but more importantly results that made me choose ASMED, for the coverage I needed I was not looking to pay the price of a BMW for hair that is charged in the US haha.

Thanks again, and all the best to you!

12 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

Looking great Cosmo. I’d agree and say it does look slightly better even now. Awesome!

Much thanks JJ!

Yeah, I noticed that some thin & fine hairs finally got thicker and started growing longer, if there’s any more slight improvement from here on out til I reach 18 months than it’s just a bonus.

Good haircut, you're on your way to that reference pic! Gotta grow out the front some more and start using hair product.

Looks good! I also just got a haircut, actually. First one in last 2 months.

• Like 1

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide