FUT is more popular than FUE

i think i can speak for all FUE patients when I say, none of us want to shave down, we've spent the money we all want hair and the worse case scenario is to buzz cut and be done with it. you can't do that with FUT you can do it with FUE. of course you can hunt down cases of poor FUE results and argue thats impossible to buzz cut cause you see 1000s of dots, well actually you don't see 1000s, you may see a few 100 in some of the really bad examples but overall the scarring to the untrained eye is barely noticeable. I shaved down to #0 blend to #3 blend and wanted to see how bad the scarring was, the back of my head i counted about 9 noticeable white dots, 9 from 4000,

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

you can't do that with FUT you can do it with FUE,

That statement is nonsense Seth. One could always get FUE or SMP into the scar, whilst I would imagine having over 6,000 grafts of FUE is going to leave some noticible dots. I think we can all summaize that the pro of FUE is the lack f the linier scar, however the issue is that it seems as if FUT is achieving greater success in terms of yield and providing a greater number of lifetime grafts, and that should be a key factor in choosing between the two. I still elect FUT until it's proven that FUE .... Yawn yawn ... This is getting old.

This is getting old.

yeah mate I agree this is getting old..... but for me FUE was the only choice, because I have always had my hair really short on the sides, so it has nothing to do with yield or buzz'in down

I still don't get it get a HT or FUE and shave it down it makes no sense to me spend money to get hair ,wait for it to grow in and then shave it off. It's like getting a face lift and then wear a mask . ?????

Firstly, many people prefer wearing their hair shorter on the sides/back. One cannot argue against hairstyle preferences. FUE scarring allows for a wider range of hairstyle options. I like having options, don't you?

Secondly, shhh happens in life. Many young guys have surgery at a very young age and may progress to a Norwood 7 one day. It happens! I would rather be the guy who did my due diligence, had an FUE surgery, knowing that I may one day be able to sport a shorter hairstyle without laymen being able to detect a thing. But yes, I agree, it doesn't make much sense otherwise to buzz all of your hair off after having paid a lot of money for a HT. I will give you that.

Thirdly, I think it is also psychological. Knowing that one CAN wear a shorter hairstyle at anytime offers a sense of freedom and relief to a lot of people. The averageJo would never be able to detect a thing.... Also, regret can really weigh a person down, especially if the result turned out poorly. Poor growth + strip scar = regret + fewer options. I can guarantee you that. I'll say it again. Having options ain't such a bad thing.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I'd rather have more/the most hair to actually style, wouldn't you?

It depends. When I had hair on top, I enjoyed changing hairstyles from time to time....

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Getting a hair transplant to support a particular hair style or even a range of styles is not the point of getting a hair transplant.

The sole point is to be able to cover bald areas of the scalp so that you can use the most optimal style to get coverage.

Reduce or eliminate the balding, that is the first and foremost goal.

Sure, it would be nice to have "options" but not at the expense of the "mission" which is to move as much hair as possible with the best chance to grow as possible.

For this Strip (FUT) is the clear choice. And without the consistent successes that FUT has produced since the early 1990s there would be no HT industry and no FUE "option".

FUE should be limited to:

1. Patients who have been stripped out

2. Small cases where anticipation of further loss is minimal

3. Patients with thick hair shafts

4. Patients who simply can't psychologically allow themselves to submit to strip surgery with the proviso that they are informed thoroughly of the risks of poor growth with FUE in writing.

Getting a hair transplant to support a particular hair style or even a range of styles is not the point of getting a hair transplant.

The sole point is to be able to cover bald areas of the scalp so that you can use the most optimal style to get coverage.

Reduce or eliminate the balding, that is the first and foremost goal.

Sure, it would be nice to have "options" but not at the expense of the "mission" which is to move as much hair as possible with the best chance to grow as possible.

For this Strip (FUT) is the clear choice. And without the consistent successes that FUT has produced since the early 1990s there would be no HT industry and no FUE "option".

FUE should be limited to:

1. Patients who have been stripped out

2. Small cases where anticipation of further loss is minimal

3. Patients with thick hair shafts

4. Patients who simply can't psychologically allow themselves to submit to strip surgery with the proviso that they are informed thoroughly of the risks of poor growth with FUE in writing.

Its actually a no-brainer when you think about it logically. FUT is a safer bet at achieving higher yield and provides more lifetime grafts. I want hair to cover my bald spots, yet folks are more concerned with being able to buzz cut - sheeze - the concern should be about maximizing hair on top and in front.

Anyways - I'm surprized HTsoon hasn't posted a response to Dr Feller yet - c'mon HTsoon, its not the same without you

I have to agree too much emphasize on buzz cuts like I said before if you look good with a buzz cut then you will look pretty much the same as being bald either you want hair or you don't as procedure I'd always choose an HT I want my hair back not so I can shave it off.

I have to agree too much emphasize on buzz cuts like I said before if you look good with a buzz cut then you will look pretty much the same as being bald either you want hair or you don't as procedure I'd always choose an HT I want my hair back not so I can shave it off.

This is rubbish. A hairline is needed to frame a face and give angles and contour to facial symmetry.

There is a world of difference between someone bald and someone with a buzzed head but still has a hairline.

This is rubbish. A hairline is needed to frame a face and give angles and contour to facial symmetry.

There is a world of difference between someone bald and someone with a buzzed head but still has a hairline.

Sounds like if that person wants to buzz with a hairline, a lifetime of SMP is the way to go

I do agree it's important to have a hairline but from a distance a shaved head looks the same as bald to me. And there is no scar less surgery you have to grow your hair with both procedures to look your best.

You dont have to grow your hair with FUE to cover the scarring, you can have your hair #0 #1 with FUE and barely see scarring, if any.

Is it scar less? to the untrained eye YES ITS SCAR LESS!!

Is it scar less to Dr Feller? HELL NO!!

Is it scar less to me? YES ITS SCAR LESS!

What are the chances that a member of society is going to examine the back of your head take notes and post on some hair transplant forum, its zero, so the shaving down, short hair, buzz cut weighs heavily in the decision making in hair restoration,

The 1000s of white dots argument is completely blown out of proportion by FUT supporters to again drag the method down,

I don't know how many times ive shaved to #0 to blend #3 in the past 2 years and believe me when I say my paranoid self conscious needs to always get the mirror out and look at the back of head to see if it looks SHIT or not, but guess what never does it , it looks perfectly natural especially to the untrained eye.

Yeah FUE in the right hands looks scarless to the untrained eye when buzzed at a #1

There are no doubt cases where the "white dots" are visible to the untrained eye, but if you take 100 FUT and 100 FUE patients and buzz down to a #1 of #2, significantly more of Jo public will notice something untoward with the FUT patients than the FUE patients. As for buzzing, a lot of people don't realize how good a buzz cut can look until they try. With a fully restored hairline from FUE, a buzz cut can look awesome on some guys.

• Administrators
I wish I was as certain of anything as a lot of people on these threads are about everything.

It's easier to be certain of something after you've had the procedure, most of us are speaking out of firsthand experience, i cut my hair every week at a #1 guard, I haven't had one person notice or ask about my scars. I know not everyone will scar the same, but I think the majority of individuals on here haven't experienced any issues in regards to scarring that's why they're sharing their experiences.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Ha! Perhaps I should look before I leap!

There is so much going on this thread I do lose track from time to time.

See you in ye old England.

So I saw Dr Feller in London today. Apparently I don't have enough donor left for an mFUE procedure. I had thought if it was likely he was going to tell me that then he didn't need to make me wait 3 months to get my hopes up only for that news! What a letdown! And to think I've been holding my tongue in this debate because I wanted the free procedure! :rolleyes:

So I saw Dr Feller in London today. Apparently I don't have enough donor left for an mFUE procedure. I had thought if it was likely he was going to tell me that then he didn't need to make me wait 3 months to get my hopes up only for that news! What a letdown! And to think I've been holding my tongue in this debate because I wanted the free procedure! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that... What will be your next option?

Well having thought about it for a few hours it's actually something of a relief because it means I won't have to shave down my scalp which is a serious hassle: it doesn't suit me and I've a lot of scarring in the donor area. I've had SMP from Milena Lardi which has mostly fixed it anyway because you can't really see I'm thinning now. She's done an excellent job. In the long-term, assuming the meds work (I started taking them 3 months ago) and I don't lose more hair, I'll likely get another Turkish FUE done without shaving the recipient area. Dr Feller (and Dr Bloxham and Dr Lindsey) says that I can't get more mFUE/FUE grafts due to my donor region being ravaged. I agree I can't take it from the area that's been harvested but I think enough can be taken slightly higher up on the back of my head in the less safe zone. I don't mind the slight risk of losing it further on down the line. I think the doctors didn't think it was worth my effort of going through another operation and I tend to agree with them now. I just don't think I needed to wait 3 months to hear that, although, as Dr Bloxham said, the SMP has fixed it since I sent them my pictures. Dr Feller was very personable so I can't fault him for that; as were Dr Bloxham and Dr Lindsay.

Edited by LondonHTseeker

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for the procedure London. Are you not worried about going back to Turkey for FUE after your last experience? May I recommend you do a consult with Dr Bisanga? Eurostar is only ?120 return and he is €5/graft. He is very ethical and is an expert in FUE. I had a consult with him before and I couldn't recommend him or his representative "SL" highly enough.