FUT is more popular than FUE

Since the original post uses such strong and biased language I wanted to make a joke. I was going to get FUT instead of FUE except I didn't want any airplanes landing on the back of my head with the newly created air strip.

Lol, in reality though if FUE wasn't appropriate for people it would have stopped existing long ago. The truth is that FUE is the perfect choice for some people and FUT is the perfect choice for others. What matters is how the person undergoing the procedure wants and what they expect.

It's funny how everything is still heavily driving towards FUE.

Even with people marketing FUT as barbaric today. Beautiful lol!

I also see a more directed marketing towards robotic surgery and advancements towards there.

Sites like BTH and Spencer are a example of this. I can see the direction they are driving towards.

FUT will be a niche nitpick or is already one.

FUE is rising and like the data already clearly says it's obvious;

FUE > FUT popularity.

Simply said both demand and supply are driving towards FUE.

I'm curious to next census results but my guess is easily a 60+% edge from FUE towards FUT.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

im unsure if the census would be that accurate, im unsure whether or not it calculates new hair transplants or the total amount. if it is new first timers then FUE would be far far more popular, there is little point calculating the total number if a large percentage have already had FUT done.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

OMG...Will have read this one through the weekend. I guess the best verdict can come from those who got both FUE and FUT done from the best in the industry. Unless our experts here have a clear verdict on this already.

PS: Yet to got through comments and may be it is already answered

I imagine FUE will be far more widespread within 5 years. Is that "more popular"? I guess if you count # of procedures. FUE can be done by technicians and non doctors - thats how many in Turkey do it and I see even locally it advertised on radio by non HT dominant doctors i.e. general plastic surgeons.

So if non doctor technicians can do it, and non HT focused plastic surgeons do it "on the side" along with the HT doctors who do it, it's going to be a lot more widespread in time - if not already. Meanwhile FUT will be left only to those who are dedicated HT doctors.

Both certainly have their place and will continue to do so.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Meanwhile FUT will be left only to those who are dedicated HT doctors.

what nonsense

what nonsense

Why so?

Do you see general plastic surgeons doing strip surgery on the side in your area? I have heard 4 radio ads in my local (U.S.) market (sports stations catering to guys) advertising hair transplant in past year. When I go to look up each website 3 are general plastic surgeons who have FUE practice as an extra income stream and one is dedicated FUE surgeon. All robotic punch.

Maybe it is common elsewhere for docs doing eyelifts and nose jobs to do strip surgery but not in my local market.

I forgot which thread it was but one of the doctors here noted some of his peers in general plastic surgery are approached by third party FUE technicians to set up in house in their clinics so they can have an extra revenue stream. Is that common with FUT ? I haven't read so but maybe there are cases.

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

you lost me at my local (US) - this site is heavily driven by the US market, there are plenty of dedicated FUE surgeons around the world

I imagine FUE will be far more widespread within 5 years. Is that "more popular"? I guess if you count # of procedures. FUE can be done by technicians and non doctors - thats how many in Turkey do it and I see even locally it advertised on radio by non HT dominant doctors i.e. general plastic surgeons.

So if non doctor technicians can do it, and non HT focused plastic surgeons do it "on the side" along with the HT doctors who do it, it's going to be a lot more widespread in time - if not already. Meanwhile FUT will be left only to those who are dedicated HT doctors.

Both certainly have their place and will continue to do so.

This is correct.

But I think the word "dedicated" is being misunderstood.

I'm sure you mean "dedicated" in terms of exclusively performing hair transplants; not "dedicated" as in the doctor not "caring" about what he's doing and committing himself to it.

I believe most doctors are dedicated to the procedures they perform, as in the video:

Unfortunately, the marketing of FUE by gadget companies as a turnkey operation to be added into an existing practice creates an avalanche of new practitioners who do not perform it exclusively. They are in fact "not dedicated" because they are performing other medical procedures as well. Performing HT as a sideline is likely not going to produce a quality HT doctor who can compete with those who practice it full time. Perhaps for small fill-in type procedures, but not for large megasession procedures which is the reason most people view and read this site and others like it.

Is there doubt about the realities of the FUE procedure in the public mind? Just look at the number of hits this thread has gotten to date.

To me wide spread FUE done by anyone and everyone sounds like a lot of unskilled people will be involved and the quality will go down and the likely hood of many unhappy patients. I can't stress it enough choose wisely especially with the fragility of FUE to begin with.

Let's be honest.....run from any place who does FUE or HT's in general because it's an extra "revenue stream." It sounds like a shi**y tavern that starts serving food to generate more income. Would you pick that food over a 5-star steakhouse? No.

It seems FUE is the new Botox.....where anyone and everyone is now dabbling in it. Like others have said....for starters, stick to only surgeons who perform HT's and nothing else.

Why so?

Do you see general plastic surgeons doing strip surgery on the side in your area?.

absolutely I do. I live in Thailand and the two main places for transplants Bangkok and Chiang Mai are by plastic surgeons in clinics

without a grain of doubt , FUT is far far more grafts growing when compared to FUE , as we all know by now that FUE is approx 80% v/s FUT that games for 95 % survival as the Fat surrounding the FUT grafts are meatier and more so its NOT a Blind technique , that said I think people just get put off by someone cutting their skull open as opposed to drilling it with thousands of punches which I think is MORE Trauma that cutting as we all know that HT works on the superficial skin and not in the deep areas of the Head so No one is really going Mental or Nuts Here :D

I think as dr. feller has rightly said if its small go for FUE , if larger Like 2000 or more just opt for FUT .... it is Gold standard just for Nothing ..... grafts not only grow Robust but are also Thicker and More Lively in the Long Run when compared to FUE , Also I have read many stories wherein FUE Grafts get Thinner with time , maybe becos of the disrupted Blood supply but again I am not an expert , I have seen some really stellar results with FUT when you compare it to FUE .

This is correct.

But I think the word "dedicated" is being misunderstood.

I'm sure you mean "dedicated" in terms of exclusively performing hair transplants; not "dedicated" as in the doctor not "caring" about what he's doing and committing himself to it.

Unfortunately, the marketing of FUE by gadget companies as a turnkey operation to be added into an existing practice creates an avalanche of new practitioners who do not perform it exclusively. They are in fact "not dedicated" because they are performing other medical procedures as well. Performing HT as a sideline is likely not going to produce a quality HT doctor who can compete with those who practice it full time. Perhaps for small fill-in type procedures, but not for large megasession procedures which is the reason most people view and read this site and others like it.

Yes by dedicated I meant focused on.

In my local state (IN THE USA - where aside from western Europe most of this forum is focused) - almost all the advertisement I looked up is robotic FUE and adjunct to non HT focus plastic surgery places. Only 1 guy I heard advertised is 100% HT. It's anecdotal but I assume if in my market it's happening across U.S.

If I chose FUE or FUT I want someone who does it for a living exclusively, not as 20% of business as a new revenue stream.

My main point is I think most who remain who do FUT in the coming years will be docs who ONLY do hair transplants. I dont forsee people doing strip surgery "on the side" like is happening in FUE.

Whereas the FUE crowd will be split among those who only do hair transplant AND those who do it as a side job.

So by nature of that FUE will become "more popular" if it is not already now.

Again - both have their place. Just like if I were getting a plastic surgery I'd want to go to a doctor who focuses on that type of plastic surgery - the same with hair transplant. The robotic FUE allows many doctors to branch out from their main speciality to this "side business".

NW 5A to 6.

Unfortunately most people are not skeptical enough to see the red flags. Think about all you know now compared to when you began your process.

I agree. This is the issue.

For every 1 person who finds a forum, does reading, does research, I assume there will be 3 who get sucked in by advertisement and "cheap price".

You'd think people would spend many many hours doing research on a topic such as this but reality is that might be 20-30% of the people who eventually get it. A lot of people "go on a whim" esp when it is advertised as "so easy" and "in and out" like a drive thru burger. "You can be back at work in 3 days - no one will notice blah blah".

Especially important with FUE is care of the follicle as there is less margin for error than FUT so the fact a lot of "non 100% HT" people get into the HT market and do FUE will lead to more negative outcomes down the road.

That in no way implies the top FUE surgeons doing FUE can't do a bang up job because they are. But it will be interesting to see how large the FUE market gets because those who specialize at it could get dwarfed by those who do it on the side.

NW 5A to 6.

if you're seeking a transplant and needing 4500+ grafts go FUT but if not go FUE, there is enough success stories out there that prove FUE is perfect for guys in the NW4-5 range and who love having short fashionable hair cuts, why bother scarring yourself for life running from one problem head first into another problem. You just have to watch the amount of SMP videos on youtube with guys who have had decent FUT HT but ultimately failed exposing their massive scar. The back up plan, the escape routes, what ever you want to call it FUE for now has what alot of guys are seeking, freedom to buzz down. why on earth do FUT supporters always bring up the 95% survival rate as their safe guide to a problem free life ahead of them, where are the tests on patience who are 15 years down the track 20 years down the track, many of these guys are running around the place with monk style hair cuts, worrying about hiding their scar, spending awkward moments in hairdressers explaining where the scar came from, im not making this up people post these comments here, thats the reality of FUT, FUE would never had come along if it wasn't for so many horror stories, both have their pro's n con's.....

well I agree to disagree to Mr. Sethicles .

We do not document that FUT has 95 % V/s FUE 80 % , it is very well documented by Patients and Most veteran Doctors agree that FUT is the gold standard , we did not publish the standards .

Yes its true that scars are a problem in FUT with a short Buzz , but then you definitely get Great Results when compared Oranges to Oranges , Not to say that some results do Fail , But then No one said that FUE is Total Success .

The point here is NOT to dispute anyone , but to educate the fellow sufferers that yes FUT is superior with Yeild and Yes the scar is also a Issue , BUT even the blunt punches of FUE Leave Moth Like Holes so none is 100 % Scar free .

And the grafts in FUE are much much fragile hence the 75-80% survival , if you think that FUT was so so outdated and scary ... why do the doctors still perform it ??

Now do not say that they Lack the ART* to learn FUE ,

NO one's Mother delivered a FUT Smart doctor from Birth .... we all learn skills ... so even FUE is a skill any feller or Path can Learn .

Its not about the techniques its about Results and all that Matters .

Mikeey and Thisguy1, you guys nailed it! Nicely stated.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.