Australian Members

parable

I was also considering Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong not long ago. Overall, his work looks very good but I also thought some of his hairlines looked a bit too aggressive and unnatural. It's also a shame that his clinic does not offer an airport pick up and hotel booking service etc. This is the norm for clinics in Turkey and Europe and other countries should really start offering such a service. It can really help take away a lot of the stress and hassle associated with travelling to an unfamiliar part of the world for surgery.

I don't think any clinic in Thailand offers that, do they?

At $3000 return to Turkey vs $700 return (Jetstar) to Bangkok, and 17 hours extra flying time each way(!), the added convenience of an airport shuttle versus a 300 baht ($12) taxi ride is small potatoes.

• 4 months later...

Hi All, first time posting - looking for some advice on Australian Doctors. I'm a NW 2 looking to get between 1000 and 2000 FUE's. I've attached a photo of my wet hair.

I've booked initial appointments with 2 doctors.

1) Dr Paul Spano in Melbourne.

2) Dr Johnathan Chan in Sydney

Both would cost around $10k - $20k depending on how many grafts I need, which I'm ok with paying provided they can do a good job!

I'd really appreciate any advice on either of these surgeons and whether you've had a good (or bad) experience.

My final option, which I would rather avoid due to the travel, is Thailand and Dr Path, I don't doubt it is a good option but I'd just rather stay at home.

Really appreciate the help.

5b32f61e43642_Wethair.PNG.a4517cfa14550289b4f39de53436a166.PNG

My opinion is that you should avoid having a HT in Aus at all costs. Incredibly expensive and more likely than not, the quality of the result will not be as good as it could have been. Search these forums and do some further research online about HTs in Australia and I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion.

Travelling to to see Dr Path (or another recommended doctor) is a much much better option.

• Like 1

Have any of the Aussie posters heard the very sad news of Dr Rhett Bosnich? I did a google search on him a week or two ago & couldn't believe what I was reading! I have no idea what happened but it reads as incredibly tragic. I had a consultation with him a couple of years ago and almost went with him for a HT repair. He struck me as a really good bloke and a HT surgeon that could be trusted. The Australian HT industry has definitely lost a valuable asset with Dr Bosnich's passing.

Hi Aus1980

In my honest opinion I would seriously consider traveling overseas for any procedure. I had a consultation with Dr Spano in Melbourne regarding an fue procedure. I didn't feel overly confident and he wasn't able to show me any of his work because of privacy issues which Didnt make me feel confident. I was probably feeling like yourself and really wanting to have it done in Aus instead of traveling overseas but after reading many forums I couldn't find any that would recommend having it done here in Aus. After doing my home work I ended up traveling to Brussels to have a fue procedure done with Dr Bisanga and would highly recommend considering him for a consultation. I believe he is one of the leading surgeons in the world and am happy with my results so far (about 6 and a half months).

As for the cost you will probably find like I did that it works out to be the same going overseas and having it done compared to getting it done in Aus as price per graft is very expensive here in Aus.

I normally wouldn't be one to comment but it's a big decision and would hate for you to make a bad choice. Really do your home work on the leading surgeons and don't be afraid to travel as it's a lot easier to organize than what you may think.

All the best

• Like 1

Thanks Rickyrixon, I am considering it, I would like to get some info on Australian docs first.

Don't waste your time or put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. The doctors you mentioned are nobodies and have no industry credibility. More often than not the work I see coming out of this country is bordering on medical malpractice, and when it isn't it is mediocre and extremely overpriced.

Saying to anyone "You'll regret this" may seem a little extreme or blunt, but if you go to an Australian surgeon chances are it will be a big mistake, and you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Like others have said, Erdogan in Turkey or a range of Belgian Surgeons such as Bisanga, Lupanzula and Feriduni are far better considerations.

Thanks all - I appreciate the advice and you all seem fairly determined with the advice.

I have send pics off to both Erdogan and Path and I'll check out Dr Bisanga too.

I'm still interested to know if anyone has had a good experience here in Australia.

Update - I've received a bunch of different opinions and quotes from both Australian and overseas.

The most graphs quoted was approx 3000 from Erdogan, he suggested that I'd need more single and double graphs for a natural hairline due to having thick hair.

Path suggested 2300 graphs, the Australian doctors both suggested less than 2k.

I've decided to go to Erdogan / Turkey based on his FUE technique being one of the best as well as the reviews and pictures I've seen. I'm excited.

Flights are currently on sale for $1050 return so I've booked in for November.

Ricky, Probably a 2A. I was told I have a receding hairline, deep temple area and thinning hair at the U turn area behind the forelock but my coverage on the crown and elsewhere is good. You were right - more than 2k required and I've attached some more photos. When my hair is at a medium length I'm able to disguise the thinning fairly well but it reached a point where it was bothering me so I cut it short.

I will start my own thread when I have the procedure, thanks everyone for the advice, hopefully it is successful.

Forum.PNG.91e1cac48831cac1784a88aaf931ba06.PNG

Forum2.PNG.4fcbd0caec233924eb2964da688194e2.PNG

Hi all,

I've been advised by Sevinc (Dr. Erdogan's Assistance) that potentially I may be eligible for a partial refund from the Ministry of Economy...I guess I want to know if anyone has received this benefit and how much I could expect in return.

I'm travelling from Sydney, date departing will be the 1st of Jan (only date available that would suit), as expected flight fares are almost double then your average due to the time of the year.

Appreciate the feedback.

Update - I've received a bunch of different opinions and quotes from both Australian and overseas.

The most graphs quoted was approx 3000 from Erdogan, he suggested that I'd need more single and double graphs for a natural hairline due to having thick hair.

Path suggested 2300 graphs, the Australian doctors both suggested less than 2k.

I've decided to go to Erdogan / Turkey based on his FUE technique being one of the best as well as the reviews and pictures I've seen. I'm excited.

Flights are currently on sale for $1050 return so I've booked in for November.

Ricky, Probably a 2A. I was told I have a receding hairline, deep temple area and thinning hair at the U turn area behind the forelock but my coverage on the crown and elsewhere is good. You were right - more than 2k required and I've attached some more photos. When my hair is at a medium length I'm able to disguise the thinning fairly well but it reached a point where it was bothering me so I cut it short.

I will start my own thread when I have the procedure, thanks everyone for the advice, hopefully it is successful.

As already said great decision going with Dr Erdogan...definitely one of the best FUE surgeons in the world. Best of luck and keep us updated with your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

To avoid starting a new thread, are there really just no options in Australia? The cost isn't such an issue for me, it's the time away in another country, which as a business owner is near impossible!

Costs aside, is there anyone even worth a visit here?

To avoid starting a new thread, are there really just no options in Australia? The cost isn't such an issue for me, it's the time away in another country, which as a business owner is near impossible!

Costs aside, is there anyone even worth a visit here?

You're going to need a few days off regardless of where you get it done unless you want to go into work with your head full of scabs looking unprofessional as all hell.

Looking at Europe or Turkey like I did for example you could probably leave on a Wednesday night, get there on a Thursday for consultation, have the surgery on a Friday, then leave on Saturday and be back before Monday.

And no there are no options in Australia unless you're not interested in getting a good result but rather just doing it for fun, which of course is unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in Sydney and I had a 2,050 graft FUE with Dr Path in Bangkok about 10 days ago.

Definitely a positive experience so far and early hairline looks good. Waiting for grafts to fall out and start the regrowth phase.

I'm optimistic but I'll reserve judgment until I see the final results in the back half of next year.

• 1 month later...

Thought that I would jump in and say hello guys. From Melbourne and have been around the relatively large block when it comes to hair loss.

Started off about 17 years ago with Advanced Hair. Total scam but I was young and terrified of losing my hair. So off to the lasers and $14k later and nothing changed. Even at the time, I felt that they were basically an awful sales agency, still wish they there would be an expose on them on ACA... I digress.

From there, when to good ol' NHI in Albert Park and Con Hatzis did my HT. It wasn't bad, and honestly can't complain that much. The scar was crap as others would attest and Barry White was an entitled old prick but anyhow seems like they've shut down now as I drive past there from time to time and reminisce of the first time I went down this path.

That HT lasted me about 12 years, then I just lost too much at the front again and it was getting dire. After all the advice on this forum, I went and saw Dr Lindsey in Washington in 2014. Mainly due to his amazing plastic surgery background to minimise the previous scar. Got 2711 grafts - 1045 singles and 1666 doubles and triples - so around 4,377 from what I can gather.

Even at the time he said that I would need the crown done in a year, he was right, it's now been about 3 years and the top is bad. Again I find myself on this forum hoping that there is a good doctor in Aus, but nope.

Overseas seems to be the best option, but I can tell you the travel and managing when to come back after the surgery is very difficult. The flights from DC to Mel were a nightmare coming back with a head wrapped and a cap on. I found it incredibly stressful and I'm a very well travelled person. Either you come back straight away (the next morning as I did) or you wait over a week as the way you swell is tough.

The next time around I really would prefer to get FUE on holiday in the USA, I'm sick of transplants, they stress the living hell out of me and trying to keep it all a secret is mortifying (hate the stigma, but maybe one day it won't be like this)

If I could have my time all again, I would have never had a transplant, but time and all the years can only give you that perspective. As I've always said to my partner, once you start, you can never stop as the scar is for life - unless you take extreme ownership and shave and expose said scar. (which I was interested to see that a keynote speaker had done at a business seminar in 2016)

Best of luck to you all on the journey.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd revive this one.

Since there is no travel looking to happen for ourselves any time soon, I've started considering getting a HT done locally when I had initially decided on Turkey.

I've read thru the posts here and everyone seems pretty negative on getting any hair work done in Aus, is it still as bad as it was a few years ago when the last post was made? I really don't want to wait for who knows how long to be able to travel overseas to get it done and want it hopefully done before the end of the year. Can anyone recommend anyone locally? Fwiw, I'm in Melbourne, no idea what norwood stage I'm at but I really want to get my hairline fixed more than anything and sick of putting my fringe down to cover the hairline.

Thanks in advance everyone.

20200724_132506.jpg

Screenshot_20210326-011542_WhatsApp.jpg