Eugenix Journey- 9,132 grafts- NW6- Oct. 2022/Oct.2023

SLA

Hi Everyone- I just returned to the US from Eugenix in India after receiving 5,484 grafts (1,200 beard) to cover the front and mid-scalp on my NW 6 pattern.

I will be 49 in December and have been losing my hair since ~age 32. I am so grateful that I found this forum as it increased my knowledge 10 fold; my journey and decisions would have been waaaaay different if not for this forum. Thanks to @Melvin- Moderator for all the tireless work he does to make this the top hair restoration forum around the globe and to all the dedicated forum members who have posted their journey to increase our collective knowledge.

In addition, I was so fortunate as @Bandit90 (potential to be the GOAT), @MazAB and @Zoomster(AKA- The GOAT) arranged to go to Eugenix at the same time, which allowed for great fun and male bonding. We also met @cavemanwho embarked on his journey. The friendships developed are on-par with the idea of getting back my hair.

Regimen

Finasteride for ~2+ years

Oral minoxidil 2.5 mg

IRestore LLLT cap 3-4 times per week  

Why FUE (not FUT)?

I have been researching this mysterious question ad nauseam garnering the opinion of many and have realized that there is not one definitive answer.

After doing several consultations, one of the most pivotal ones in my decision making is when I consulted with Dr. Bisanga who suggested FUE rather than FUT. I was surprised because I thought at my NW level, he would say do FUT 1st or even suggest a combo FUT/FUE session which he has and can perform. His response was that if he can, he prefers to do FUE with beard hair thrown in on high NWs. He also stated that you can’t always get more grafts doing FUT 1st as many times, grafts below the strip scar miniaturizes leaving them un-harvestable.

He estimated my lifetime graft potential around 6-6,500 and said I had a ‘good’ beard.

I have also seen countless examples of top surgeons using FUE to ‘over-harvest’ by homogenously depleting donors to harvest a lot of grafts.

Why Eugenix?

I know lots of people have addressed this questions and everyone has similar answers. As a NW6 with not the most robust donor, I realized that if I wanted the illusion of full coverage, there would have to be BHT- mainly beard hair in the mix. After connecting with Dr. Bisanga and seeing high NWs go the FUE route with great success, I connected with Dr. Pradeep and Dr. Arika, the founders of Eugenix when they came by way of the US and they had a similar assessment and plan to Dr. Bisanga.

I had been following Eugenix for a couple of years and when we connected at the clinic, Dr. Pradeep joked that I know more about Eugenix than him. The culture at Eugenix is fabulous as each staff member treats you like a family member- they are warm, hospitable and truly want the best for you. I loved connecting with the staff as it was an enriching cultural experience.

If you are a westerner concerned about going to India- you have nothing to be concerned about!

Eugenix are experts in mixing BHT and scalp grafts and properly treating high NWs with many documented results. All the examples I have seen on the forum have shown that the hair they implant grows and looks natural and while there have been examples of patients not being 100% satisfied, they have fixed at no cost.

Inspired by results of high NWs who have gone to Eugenix, along with the low cost for the western consumer, Eugenix became my choice. I do think that while Dr. Bisanga may have done an equally as effective job, the cost would have been significantly higher knowing the amount of grafts that would be needed. Also, I have seen fewer documented results from Dr. Bisanga on high NWs.

The Journey

The total time in surgery for the 5,484 grafts (1,200 from beard) was probably close to 24 hours over the course of 2 days and change.

While inspecting my donor, I kept hearing, “Your donor is GOOD!” I was a little surprised because my donor, while average is on the lower side of average. I have come to learn that donors of Caucasian hair type tend to be better than Asian hair type in terms of hairs per follicle. I was told my groupings were 2s and 3s.

In my design, they made ~760 slits for the temples which had me concerned about burning through so many grafts for temples alone. It was explained to me that they are not using 760 grafts as they are taking hairs from of nape of neck (not normally used on scalp) to create a soft transition in the front and also splitting 2s and 3s for the rest of the temples- so 760 is really like ~350 grafts. I also questioned several times whether the hairline was too aggressive, but I was explained with the confirmation from @MazAB, that what appears aggressive, will look a lot less aggressive when hair grows, as there is a soft transition of singles in the 1st few rows.

I think the frontal 3rd had ~2,700 slits and the mid-scalp around 2,000. Beard and scalp hair were mixed throughout the scalp in an approximate 1.8:1.0 ratio. I elected for 1,200 beard grafts and not more to see how it shows up on scalp and mixes with scalp hair. If things look good, I can always use more beard hair for added density should all go well and I return for the crown- which I would do next year.

After the doc performed the slits on the frontal 3rd, they put a dye to make it easier to insert the grafts. When I saw myself in the mirror, it looked as if I had just had SMP done and I thought…”dang, I like this look!” It was a funny moment for me.

The Eugenix technicians are diligent, focused and masters of their tasks. Each technician has ONE responsibility which they have mastered and perform over and over. So, if someone is responsible for loading grafts that is all they do- all day, every day. I was explained that new technicians do not even touch a graft for an entire year. Those doing the punches have been doing so for years.

Any time that I had a question for the doctor, they were there within minutes.

Surgery at Eugenix works like clockwork with no ambiguity- everyone knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing and do so confidently, carefully and quickly.

After 2 marathon days, my surgery was done! I should have around 2k more scalp and 2k more beard hair for future use- if all goes as planned, I will do the crown next year. Not only will it be an opportunity to get more hair, but also to once again see and spend time with the friends I have made at Eugenix.

It is important to remember that hair transplants are an illusion of density as I will be trying many styles, hair ‘gels’ and potentially fibers to style to maximum fullness, especially since my hair is fine (although, it is curly and salt & pepper, which fingers crossed may assist with the illusion).

I hope this post serves as educational for those thinking about hair restoration.

Stay tuned for monthly updates…

Post HT #1 Edited.jpg

Post- HT Photo #2.jpg

Pre-HT Photo #1 Edited.jpg

Pre-HT Photo #2.jpg

Pre- HT Photo #3 Edited.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, davidn said:

nice hair characteristics. will be a homerun I predict.

Haha @davidn- let’s hope. The hair is fine, but I guess I have other stuff going for me.

I’m keeping expectations in check. If I go with that attitude, then I have a better chance of satisfaction.

• Like 1

@SLAit was a pleasure meeting you my friend. Everything is finally done now! Looks like you and the doctors did a few more grafts than you initially planned? I’m glad you were able to haha. Honestly man, I am jealous cause this looks sooo good. You’re going to be a superstar on here with the results you’re going to achieve. I really like how your face is framed with that hairline and the temple points. I’m sure having Armen around helped with that 😉. Also the density looks really good moving back all the way through your midscalp. Glad to see you posted and will keep us all updated. Happy growing 😊

5 minutes ago, caveman said:

@SLAit was a pleasure meeting you my friend. Everything is finally done now! Looks like you and the doctors did a few more grafts than you initially planned? I’m glad you were able to haha. Honestly man, I am jealous cause this looks sooo good. You’re going to be a superstar on here with the results you’re going to achieve. I really like how your face is framed with that hairline and the temple points. I’m sure having Armen around helped with that 😉. Also the density looks really good moving back all the way through your midscalp. Glad to see you posted and will keep us all updated. Happy growing 😊

Thanks Jay- I’m keeping my expectations in check with hopes to be pleasantly surprised!

Keep in touch!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheDarkHour said:

Which package did you go for?

So I opted for the 120 INR package, however, due to an unforeseen scheduling conflict, the design and slits were done by Dr. Pradeep, one of the founding surgeons.

While I suppose I may have “lucked out”, I was confident enough that the 120 INR package with Dr. Das would have worked as well as she produces fantastic results. She monitored part of my procedure as she is a class act and a wealth of knowledge.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Adam that is one excellent write up! You have done everything right from doing your research to having the patience that is required in hair restoration. I have to agree that your hair characteristics along with the medication you're taking will turn your results into a great result! So happy for you and I look forward to following your updates. Happy growing!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

It will be interesting to see how this result unfolds from one of the more senior forum members.

Haha…it’s out of my hands now 😀. Trying to keep expectations in check and hoping for the best!

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Adam that is one excellent write up! You have done everything right from doing your research to having the patience that is required in hair restoration. I have to agree that your hair characteristics along with the medication you're taking will turn your results into a great result! So happy for you and I look forward to following your updates. Happy growing!

Thanks @Gatsby- my hair is of fine caliber, however, I’m hopeful that the other favorable characteristics along with strategic styling will yield a very good result!

• Like 1

@SLA it was an absolute pleasure to share in this experience with you! I was probably more excited about your procedure than you were, HAHA!

Seriously though, it's a no brainer to say we all just need to hang in there as the epic results are in process. It will be very fun tracking this one month to month!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MazAB said:

@SLA it was an absolute pleasure to share in this experience with you! I was probably more excited about your procedure than you were, HAHA!

Seriously though, it's a no brainer to say we all just need to hang in there as the epic results are in process. It will be very fun tracking this one month to month!

@MazAB- You've become like a brother. Your advice, guidance and support has been super helpful in this journey and we now have memories to last a lifetime.

Your hair is looking dynamic and although I did not know you before you began your HT journey, I can see how this has had such a positive impact on your life.

Happy growing to all of us!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZeeMan said:

Congrats on the HT @SLA, happy growing!

Can you share some pics of the donor (after extraction), and bread (after extraction)? Also, which package did you go with, who was the lead Dr? Cheers!

Hi @ZeeMan

Here is a look a little over 4 days post surgery. As it is now, to me, both the scalp donor and beard donor scarring appears so homogenous and minimal. My wife can't even make out the scarring on the scalp which has had north of 4k grafts extracted. 

image.png.f58b297af9e84f2436b1d5aff4615580.pngimage.thumb.png.85a2c7cbef1185e1f8bd7c787601f2ea.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The work looks fantastic, very happy for you. This is gonna be an amazing journey.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The work looks fantastic, very happy for you. This is gonna be an amazing journey.

Thanks @Melvin- Moderator- The work was done with such care and attention to detail. Hoping for the best and trying to keep expectations in check :)

44 minutes ago, Eran said:

Good luck!

We have the same hair characteristics. Curly and thick. Probably the best hair for HT.

gonna be home run 🙂

thanks for sharing!

Hi @Eran- I love your results! While we both have curly hair, mine is actually fine :)...I'm glad that it looks thick though!

Fingers crossed that the curl and the salt and pepper create some illusion!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1 Month

I can hardly believe that it has been 1 month since I left the chair in the Eugenix operating theater (BTW- I love how they use the term 'theater'- in the US, we use the more mundane, 'room') after receiving 5,484 grafts (1,200 beard) to cover the front/deep into the mid-scalp/temple points. 

Things seem to be growing as expected and I have not had any significant shedding...YET. I could be one of the fortunate few who do not experience much shedding, or perhaps the fall has yet to occur.

Donor is recovering nicely and I love the design work by Dr. Pradeep. I am confident that the other docs including Dr. Arika and Dr. Das would have also created an excellent design, although the artistry may have differed ever so slightly.

I actually kind of like the look with the buzz cut/shaved head and even though the grafts have yet to grow/mature, I am definitely enjoying having hair on the head and the way the hairline frames my face.

As a reminder- I take oral finasteride- 1mg/daily and oral minoxidil- 2.5mg/daily.

I hope this serves to benefit all in their decision making and HT knowledge.

I'll be back in a month to report my month #2 status.

I will be back for month #2 updates937450679_1month-2forumpost.PNG.eec176b0c1927a84a44a7a0d1b6e884f.PNG368567149_1MonthForumPost.PNG.f289f41f0f602026e17b863a6df08cc6.PNG1184238022_1month-1ForumPost.thumb.jpg.a97224b12ea02d95337da1775422d088.jpg1264291411_1Month-3forumpost.PNG.d0257cc30364dad9ad067b4f53cb8ef1.PNG1235486526_1month-4forumpost.PNG.73d782e7e5114e0b5760f2aa7696d45a.PNG

• Like 2