Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

rob7331

On 5/30/2022 at 3:48 AM, rob7331 said:

Hi all, 4 months.

I'd estimate about 90% of the hair you see is still native + first transplant so don't be mislead by the longer length. That said I'm starting to see more hairs sprouting so I'm hopeful for a strong density jump as we enter the growth phase. I promised myself I'd be extra patient with this HT though, so I'm going to continue holding my thoughts for now.

Of note is some continued patchiness on both sides of my head just above my ears, although I was always a little thin in that spot, but it's something to watch going forward. The donor on the back of my head however feels good and dense. I bet I could do a third HT if I wanted to.

I like doing these updates every two months as the results are more significant, so I may wait until month 6 for the next update.

1 front 2.JPG

2 front.JPG

3 left temple.JPG

4 right temple.JPG

5 side 2.JPG

6 top.JPG

7 top 2.JPG

8 donor.JPG

Hi Rob,

Looks like you've discovered the double-edged sword of having low contrast between your scalp and hair colouring.                                      In a few months time this will doubtless be to your benefit, but for now it's probably not helping you appreciate any new hair growth.

Hang on in there, my friend, and, before you know it.......

Oh, and stay away from mirrors.

Right on track @rob7331! You'll see that waiting 2 months to update will be too long. Once you hit the 4 month mark, every month is a huge difference and major milestone. Would love to see how you look in July. The change will be night and day!

Appreciate all the kind words so far. Y'all are great.

Some bonus pics for month 4 - got my first haircut since the transplant so I thought it was share-worthy. I asked for my usual which is a 1.5 on the sides with a basic fade. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go this short anymore as the shock loss is pretty evident. But I don't mind that much and will let it grow from here on out.

Stay tuned.

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

• Like 5

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

• 1 month later...

Apologies on the tardiness for 6 months - had some exciting life changes recently. I appreciate all the support and folks reaching out privately.

I'm going to follow up very soon with some pictures outside in direct light (including one of the crown) because a lot has changed and I'd like to get the HRN community's thoughts. For consistency's sake, here are the usual bathroom angles until then.

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

• Like 1

6 month update

This update will be a bit longer. Please keep the feedback coming - it means a lot!

Well HRN, it's been 6 months since my hair transplant at Eugenix Hair Sciences, and to be honest I've been going back and forth on deciding how happy I am. Sometimes I catch myself in favourable darker lighting and am blown away. Other times I can see straight through my hairline and feel a slump come over my shoulders, as the burden of something I thought I had overcome continues to weigh on me.

Allow me to explain. When first I went to Eugenix I had already received a HT of 2200 grafts to the frontal third. My hair didn't look amazing but it worked. My mid-scalp was thin but you generally wouldn't notice unless you were looking down over top my head.

IMG_6466.thumb.jpg.56fcbde4461a45ac96d7a6fd5378f724.jpg

When Dr. Bansal and I spoke during the consultation I told her my goals, in order of priority, were to reinforce the hairline, fill out the mid-scalp, and put whatever is left in the crown. It was expressed to me this was not just possible, but very achievable. I rested easy after the surgery because it was my understanding that, even with the knowledge of my crown still appearing thin, the frontal area would finally be resolved after this second pass.

As I head towards 7 months and look at my progress as empirically as I can, here is what I see:

1. A hairline and mid scalp that, while improved, still have lots of visible scalp.

2. Noticeable shock loss on the sides of my head that persists more than half a year later. There is more than is visible - I have adjusted my hair to hide it.

3. A significantly improved crown. I have been happily surprised by this.

With any hair transplant there are two important things to remember - it's an illusion of density, and full results are best observed at 12+ months. I haven't forgotten these things, nor have I forgotten that hair colour and texture play a part in the illusion.

I am however having difficulty reconciling with the fact I will almost certainly require a third transplant down the road, to once again go over the hairline and mid scalp, in order to obtain a successful illusion. As I've given over 6600 grafts (and am now experiencing pockets of semi-permanent shock loss) I am not sure what my donor is capable of sustaining for a future transplant.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'll update again at 8 months.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 3

A lot can change in the following months. There was a recent case of a patient having a small thin spot on his crown for a few months after all the hairs grew in. But then the maturing of the hairs came in and reinforced the patch. 

the shock loss doesn’t look overly bad in those pictures, I know you said that you are styling them but it honestly makes it look like you have mild retrograde alopecia which in my opinion is a supply issue, not a aesthetic issue.

You would probably only need a small touch up if these are your final results

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• Administrators

At 6 months, too early to say if you’ll need another HT. My results have changed drastically from months 6-7, and it will continue to change. Slow and steady wins the race. Patience is hard, believe me I know. I had messaged Dr. Sethi telling him I’ll need another HT at 5 months. He said give it time, so I know it’s difficult, even I’m guilty of this. 

• Like 6

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

50 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

At 6 months, too early to say if you’ll need another HT. My results have changed drastically from months 6-7, and it will continue to change. Slow and steady wins the race. Patience is hard, believe me I know. I had messaged Dr. Sethi telling him I’ll need another HT at 5 months. He said give it time, so I know it’s difficult, even I’m guilty of this. 

This ^ 

And this is coming from someone with 4 HT’s.

I think the hair contrast plays apart of it as well. Perhaps you could have poor skin against the summer heat so your body sheds differently? There’s many things that play apart in the early stages but just remember you still have time.

• Like 2

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I'm also going to 'this' from @Melvin- Moderator. Plenty of filling in yet to be done. At month 6, pretty decent result so far. The sides look visibly thinned out and that would be an area of concern for me so will be interested to see how they recover going forward. What's been the reaction from friends/family? Have they remarked on the difference in your appearance?

Appreciate the feedback everyone. The sides are definitely a concern for me because I like to wear my hair short occasionally, so that may no longer be an option. I'll touch base again at month 8 and hopefully some of these issues will have improved outcomes.

There will always be strong spots and weak spots in every hair transplant, especially any first hair transplant. I absolutely have them across the entire recipient area where I had scabbing, and especially in my right corner temple where very little grew and I need to comb my hair over to cover the small bare spot.

For me though, I always knew and mentally prepared myself to have 2nd procedure before even having my first procedure. Mainly because you never know what may go wrong on the operating table, and also that very good density and overall balance is so hard to ever achieve after an initial procedure.

Things for you are looking awesome at this stage, and quite honestly it's tough to spot any of the weak areas of growth, with your hair at this length. My favorite months so far have been 9 to 11. It is really when the maturity and thickening start kicking into gear. 

It'll all fall into place and look amazing at the 1 year mark, but in the end if you still have areas of concern, never rule out a refinement session if it helps you to achieve your ultimate goals. 

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

8.5 month update

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay here. This update will be shorter than the last as I've settled into what likely is close to the final result at this point.

My observations:

1. Density improvements have become much smaller and harder to notice. Hair looks and feels thicker.

2. The shock loss looks like it may have recovered slightly, but that's a generous word and it's likely more in part to my hair being longer and covering it.

3. Crown and midscalp have improved but will definitely need a third pass to fill in lots of little gaps covered by the fringe. But I'd like to have styling options besides a comb over.

4. Perhaps most interesting, it appears none of the beard grafts grew. I've been refraining from mentioning this in case something changed and they suddenly started growing, but I'm almost at 9 months now and all the beard grafts are still in their infantile state. By that I mean they are just little course hairs pricking up from my scalp with literally zero length, like stubble on my head. I can feel them throughout my mid scalp and crown regions.

So that's the update. Will probably look into a third and final HT either with Eugenix or another clinic in 2023, or 2024 if I decide to wait another year. I'm hoping the beard grafts can be identified and extracted then replaced with hair follicles. I've emailed Eugenix and will see what they say about that.

Will aim to give a final update at 12 months.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 8

you seem to have gotten a pretty good result. atleast assessing it from the top down/arial view. you got nice coverage even into the crown though it might not be perfect.

I think this look natural. thoughts on the frizziness? how have you handled that

• Valued Contributor

@rob7331 going from your latest pictures your hair overall looks thicker and fuller in line with the stage you are at. The shock loss seems to have definitely improved and I would speak with Eugenix about the use of minoxidil for this. I'm at just over 8 months and I have short 5mm beard hair poking through my mid scalp and crown. Unfortunately when it comes to hair everything is a game of patience (whether it's surgery, medication, etc). I wouldn't be making a judgement call until you are one year post op and even then the crown still has some time to go. Personally I think you look great. All the best and happy growing!

@hairlossPA I'm impressed by the crown. It was my lowest priority and it grew, which is great. I think another 500-1000 in there and I'll have enough coverage to not care anymore.

Regarding the frizz, I've never used styling products and have no idea where to begin with hair like mine. I'll take any recommendations if you have them.

@Gatsby Thanks for the comment. I've used Minox in the past and had a bad dry skin reaction, so I won't be going back on the topical. I have considered adding the pill form to my regimen but don't know if it would make a difference for the shock loss. I've heard it can cause heart palpitations and other issues so I've been a bit more tentative to try.

I'll keep waiting for 12 months like I've always said, but it's pretty clear at this point that we're closing in on the finish line. I'm not dissatisfied though, in fact overall I'm pretty pleased. Just charting out the course to get my final intended result.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rob7331 said:

@hairlossPA I'm impressed by the crown. It was my lowest priority and it grew, which is great. I think another 500-1000 in there and I'll have enough coverage to not care anymore.

Regarding the frizz, I've never used styling products and have no idea where to begin with hair like mine. I'll take any recommendations if you have them.

@Gatsby Thanks for the comment. I've used Minox in the past and had a bad dry skin reaction, so I won't be going back on the topical. I have considered adding the pill form to my regimen but don't know if it would make a difference for the shock loss. I've heard it can cause heart palpitations and other issues so I've been a bit more tentative to try.

I'll keep waiting for 12 months like I've always said, but it's pretty clear at this point that we're closing in on the finish line. I'm not dissatisfied though, in fact overall I'm pretty pleased. Just charting out the course to get my final intended result.

you have to try a few different products to nail down your style. I think something with a good hold but wet would fit you good. You can try a grooming cream, styling cream, or combine fiber wax + gel.. Your hair is too frizzy you will look better with product i think.   Products are expensive so see if you can get some sample packs for cheaper so if u dont like it you dont have to use it. 

American Crew - all of their products are good try a few

Any Aveda Salon near you has some nice gels, and styling creams

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rob7331 said:

8.5 month update

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay here. This update will be shorter than the last as I've settled into what likely is close to the final result at this point.

My observations:

1. Density improvements have become much smaller and harder to notice. Hair looks and feels thicker.

2. The shock loss looks like it may have recovered slightly, but that's a generous word and it's likely more in part to my hair being longer and covering it.

3. Crown and midscalp have improved but will definitely need a third pass to fill in lots of little gaps covered by the fringe. But I'd like to have styling options besides a comb over.

4. Perhaps most interesting, it appears none of the beard grafts grew. I've been refraining from mentioning this in case something changed and they suddenly started growing, but I'm almost at 9 months now and all the beard grafts are still in their infantile state. By that I mean they are just little course hairs pricking up from my scalp with literally zero length, like stubble on my head. I can feel them throughout my mid scalp and crown regions.

So that's the update. Will probably look into a third and final HT either with Eugenix or another clinic in 2023, or 2024 if I decide to wait another year. I'm hoping the beard grafts can be identified and extracted then replaced with hair follicles. I've emailed Eugenix and will see what they say about that.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Looks pretty good!

15 hours ago, rob7331 said:

8.5 month update

My observations:

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Look at that man I think your hair has definitely recovered a bit. Which is a good sign of improvement. Beard grafts take some time to grow in and really could kick off at any moment. There are some people I have seen that put bears grafts into the crown soften up at 14-18 months and really flatten out. 

overall I think you are in a good position for 8.5 months. Perhaps it is not the best that you want, however, from my opinion it’s a definite improvement. 

• Like 2

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022