Booked my transplant, anxiety kicks in, am I overreacting?

I'm very thankful for the latest advice I got on this forum, and for the research this forum provides.

I've booked my transplant for February with a reputable clinic this site recommended.

Am I overreacting for going down the transplant route?

I just took a picture and compared to 3 years ago. I have a thin forelock, but looks like no changes at all!

The clinic did offer a great hairline which is natural and conservative. I do look in the mirror everyday (several times a day) and hate my hairline. So should I go for it? I'd love to hear people experiences, who was in a similar situation.

I have one bald uncle in my family, but that's it out of all the males in my family. I'm currently on finasteride for 6 months

252375260_2117340758415369_5720189278514717271_n.jpg

252682463_407480324170354_4114269725015730949_n.jpg

Skærmbillede 2021-11-08 kl. 20.41.27.png

Skærmbillede 2021-11-08 kl. 20.41.07.png

If it makes you feel good and provides peace of mind, absolutely go for it! So long as you understand that it is still a surgery and the outcome is never guaranteed, and that you chose a professional and reputable clinic (recommended here, of course), then you can feel at ease with your decision. 

Good luck and document your journey so others can find this website a positive resource for coming to their own decision.

• Like 1

If you're looking at the mirror multiple times a day, that's not going to change. Once it bothered me, it *always* bothered me. 

Go for it! You'll immediately wish you did it sooner! 

• Like 1

• Administrators

You're definitely not too young for a hair transplant, and it's only going to get progressively worse. If you have the funds and did the research I say go for it.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Here to mirror everyone else's thoughts. You're certainly not over-reacting in terms of your hair-loss; you've lost enough for it to have a noticeably negative aesthetic impact, but overall not a huge amount and so one moderate procedure and you'll be set for a while (so long as your expectations are in check).

I'm in the same boat in that we're the same age and I'm also about to have my first procedure, everyone else in the thread has already been there and lived it and it's good to hear their reassurance. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also nervous and letting thoughts of anxiety creep in, but I feel very ready for it as I've done tons of research over numerous years, and honestly at this point, HT's and hair loss in general is probably one of the topics I am more knowledgable about in life.

As long as you've thought this through carefully and know exactly what you're getting into, then as others have said, the desire to get this sorted isn't going to go away and we just have to take the educated leap like many other scenarios in life

The anxiety and second-guessing is completely normal. I was getting still getting cold feet the week of my procedure, so don't read too much into that part of it.

I relate very much to your situation, as my hair loss was also concentrated in the front/hairline - so it was easy for me to brush it off as "no big deal" when comparing my hair loss to other people with more advanced hair loss. However, as MachoVato said above, once you notice it and it bothers you, you will most likely always notice it and will most likely always bother you... And that's completely and totally valid! I don't regret going through with the procedure in the slightest, and given that you seem to have taken all the proper steps to make an informed decision here, I wouldn't give too much weight to the cold feet.

All of that said, at the end of the day, only you know what decision is best for you, so take any input you receive here with a grain of salt and trust your gut. 

Best of luck with the procedure should you go through with it! 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor

@Mdc2021it is perfectly natural to be experiencing the anxiety that you currently are. Who is the doctor/clinic that you have chosen? You have a lot of hair and you appear to have lost little at all over the past three years. You may want to look in finasteride to retain the hair you have but this is something that you can talk with your doctor about. I'm also have surgery next year in January and if it's any consolation I too am beginning to go through a lot of anxiety also. My case however is a lot different to yours (I'm a full blown Norwood 7/6 with a lot of scars, etc). Feel free to DM me if you wish to chat. All the best!

• Like 1

We all have the pre-op jitters and anxiety, I would be more surprised 😮 if there were none!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 11/8/2021 at 8:51 PM, Mdc2021 said:

I do look in the mirror everyday (several times a day) and hate my hairline.

This say enough about your case, this will just continue more and more, and when more hairloss, if it will happen in your case, then all we become more sensitive, more anxiety...

And then just at once cut all those anxiety, sensitivity, and do it...  Trying hide those bald parts, by some topik fiber, or whatever, and then at once realize we lost much time doing all those, instead we did HT when was time for it, i did similary in my case, tried move it, 1y, 2y , 3y, and 4y decided its time, even these first 3y were more cause of some other reasons,  than a reason like not ready for it, but as long as we have a solid donor area, never it's too late ,  but no one of us can predict how long we'll have or not good donor area...

So, think more about it, and if you are not happy right now with your hairloss, it will just progress by time, and you'll be more unappy, and decide you want every day not feel ok when look at mirror, or fix it, as mostly we, men, have usual only 1x thing we fix in our lifes, and mostly is hair, not like women,  where they do plastics surgery, x different corrections, nose, eyes, eyebrows, ears, body, tits, etc etc,  so think must be so big anxiety about mostly our 1 thing we do as men, and its our hairloss fix :) ...

Ok, let me re-read what you just wrote:

" look in the mirror everyday (several times a day) and hate my hairline."

There's something you hate in your life.  It is present every single day of your life.  It reminds you of it's own existence MULTIPLE times a day...

And there's an easy fix that only costs money, and a bit of recovery time?

My friend, the answer couldn't be more obvious.  Fix that hairline and live the rest of your life a happier man :)

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

I had same doubts from the moment i scheduled HT until the very few moments before surgery......after surgey finished and when i saw my new hairline i was so happy i didn't gave up!

If your prognosis from the doctor are good and you go with good and respected HT surgeon than don't give up, go with it!

Btw as a motivation i used imagining my new hairline and how i'll no longer have to worry about my hairline!

Just imagine pic of ypur new hairline!

Edited by Spaceguy

There is one aspect that no one seems to have mentioned. This is surgery. And, while it is minor surgery in the overall scheme of things, it is still surgery. If you've never had any, there is the "unknown." Of course you are going to feel the way you do.  As Gillenator indicates, if you were not nervous, that in itself would be cause for concern. 

What you do need to keep in mind is that you are dealing with a hereditary condition and, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  I am glad you are on some preventive regimen to help you with retention.  

Your hair color is also a big plus, no contrast.  

I am curious about something.  During your research, did you ask the doctor about his credentials? Wonder where he learned to do this.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• 2 months later...

I assume when you ask if you are overacting you mean to ask whether or not you really should go to the hair transplant route since you don’t see many changes in your hair over the last three years correct? That said, I certainly wouldn’t use the word “overreact“. Whether or not you feel that you want or need a hair transplant. however, is another question.  It really all comes down to you.

Obviously your hair is bothering you enough to want to make some improvements and that’s exactly what hair transplant surgery can and will do assuming you selected a reputable surgeon.  And since it sounds like you’ve done a lot of research and selected a doctor recommended by this community, I trust you will be in good hands.

Obviously I’ve only seen the photos you presented but you could certainly benefit from lowering and refined in your hairline and if there is thinning/miniaturizing hair behind the airline, thickening it up will also make a significant improvement.  Lowering and refining the hairline in itself will make you younger looking as well thickening any sending areas or filling in any thinning/bald areas.

Long story short, based on the photos you presented, I believe you will benefit from and feel much better about your appearance by undergoing surgical hair restoration.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.