How Many of You Have Shaved Your Head?

Have you shaved your head?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

I saw someone recently boast that they would shave their head without feeling any negative way. Got me thinking, how many of you guys have shaved your head? I did it, tried it for a while. Definitely not my option, but I respect anyone who has. I know @Zoomster shaved his head for a long time. I’d love to hear the difference in having hair vs not having hair. What has your experiences been?

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I shaved my head for nearly 20 year, Luckily I suited it. I didn’t even no you could get hair Transplants tbh until about 10 year ago and I thought it was  an expensive procedure (£15-20k) so didn’t see it as an option. Then a few people I knew had been to Turkey with good results,  done a little research (yeah  I no not enough as I didn’t find this forum until after) booked it and now I have hair 😀

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Newyear newhair said:

I shaved my head for nearly 20 year, Luckily I suited it. I didn’t even no you could get hair Transplants tbh until about 10 year ago and I thought it was  an expensive procedure (£15-20k) so didn’t see it as an option. Then a few people I knew had been to Turkey with good results,  done a little research (yeah  I no not enough as I didn’t find this forum until after) booked it and now I have hair 😀

How would you compare having hair vs being bald? Have you experienced people treating you differently?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

People are certainly saying it looks better and makes me look younger (can live with that). Also with just coming out of lockdown there’s a lot of friends I haven’t seen for a while.

Im married so can’t comment on it improving my pulling power 😂 but I definitely feel more confident.

• Like 2

It took this lockdown to get me to try it again, one of the few good things to come out of covid for me. Bought a Whal home haircut kit last March and I'll probably never go to a barber again. Its awesome not having to bother with styling or putting on concealer every morning.

@Melvin-Moderator with that beard of yours, you should shave your head and get some Viking tattoos around the sides, bring back that gel fortified mohawk strip along the top. Update your avatar pic holding an ax over your shoulder. Who would dare troll the forum then? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ciaus said:

It took this lockdown to get me to try it again, one of the few good things to come out of covid for me. Bought a Whal home haircut kit last March and I'll probably never go to a barber again. Its awesome not having to bother with styling or putting on concealer every morning.

@Melvin-Moderator with that beard of yours, you should shave your head and get some Viking tattoos around the sides, bring back that gel fortified mohawk strip along the top. Update your avatar pic holding an ax over your shoulder. Who would dare troll the forum then? :D

Saving that beard for my head haha

View my thread

3 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Yeah I must admit it was easier on a morning not having to style and apply products , but hey happy days 

58 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I saw someone recently boast that they would shave their head without feeling any negative way. Got me thinking, how many of you guys have shaved your head? I did it, tried it for a while. Definitely not my option, but I respect anyone who has. I know @Zoomster shaved his head for a long time. I’d love to hear the difference in having hair vs not having hair. What has your experiences been?

Is this based on my post in the identity thread? I've shaved my head recently to try it out, but I'm still a NW2.5 and it's not a true representation of what it will be like being NW4+ bald. No one has treated me any different. 

My good friend went full on shave bald NW5 before we finished university (around 22), and I've based a lot of my experiences with how to approach becoming bald by watching the absolute masterclass in confidence this guy has put on over the last 5 years. He's not even an overly good looking guy, yet I've watched him pick up girls in bars, date girls well above his league and recently get engaged to one of them, all while crushing it career wise. It made me realize how much of this is mental vs actually reality.

In today's age, no one really gives a shit that you're bald. Sure, some (most?) girls you try and approach might not find it as attractive as a perfect head of hair, but the vast majority of the pressure comes from within. People might even make comments or small jokes, but similarly to what I said in the identity thread, they only will feel like daggers/harmful because in the end you hadn't accepted that you are bald and that there is nothing wrong with that. Once you get past that hill, it's smooth sailing. 

Edited by TrialAcc
  • Like 3

This guy went the extra mile, he had his follicles destroyed by laser sessions so he wouldn't have to shave or even have the shadow effect that the hairs produce just under the skin in a horseshoe pattern. 

in an ideal world, every single man who is experiencing hairloss should shave their head, to see what they would look like bald. Imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars, years of surgeries and stress, when one may unknowingly look like Jason Statham just by shaving it all off?

However, realistically, many guys look horrible bald. And even if a guy does have the head shape that suits baldness, baldness also only works well if someone is in-shape, which can be hard for a lot of guys. 

Plus just experimenting with being bald means you will have a buzz cut for a good month or 2, which may be awkward for coworkers, etc. 

• Like 1

Someone once said that:  "the list of good looking bald men starts and ends with Sean Connery".

But in all seriousness, it depends on your facial structure and head shape, and your age to a certain degree.  Less hair can look distinguished on an older man.

People like Statham and Freddie Lundberg can get away with it it, based off their looks in general.

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

For me it all boiled down to getting tired of the hassle of wet shaving it every other day as the slightly grown out horseshoe was a no no..particularly in my late 20s right through to my mid 40s...

It's all an inside job..by that I mean if you feel good about yourself with a shaved head /going bald you wont be held back in your career ,lady department,etc etc ..if it bothers you..you will.

If having hair makes you feel good inside...guess what.. these vibrations are felt by others and by extension ...things tend to fall into place as a result ..

Z

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Zoomster said:

For me it all boiled down to getting tired of the hassle of wet shaving it every other day as the slightly grown out horseshoe was a no no..particularly in my late 20s right through to my mid 40s...

It's all an inside job..by that I mean if you feel good about yourself with a shaved head /going bald you wont be held back in your career ,lady department,etc etc ..if it bothers you..you will.

If having hair makes you feel good inside...guess what.. these vibrations are felt by others and by extension ...things tend to fall into place as a result ..

Z

This is basically how it is. In 99% of cases, being bald is only actually a problem when it affects your perception of yourself to the point of obsession because it is going to be reflected in almost every interaction you have (the exception would probably be if you rely heavily on appearance for your career, like actors, models or vanity driven sales) . People don't like to hear this though, they'd rather blame the instance of baldness itself for why they are treated differently or feel differently rather then coming to the conclusion/reality that no one actually cares and what people are actually reacting to is the extreme negative atmosphere you are giving off. 

Edited by TrialAcc
  • Like 5

I used to be terrified of going bald just because of the unknown.  But after shaving my head to see what I would look like, my worst case scenario is now "sucks but whatever" instead of "end of the world ugly."  I find my experienced is echoed by a lot of men - being shaved bald doesn't make them look better, but they find they don't look as bad as they thought they would.  Either way it takes the stress off knowing what I would look like bald.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Zoomster said:

Z

People think that shaving your head is less hassle as you don't have to see the barber, but it's actually the opposite. I agree it all boils down to how you feel. Some guys don't care about shaving, and to those guys I say don't bother getting an HT, the cost, maintenance, etc probably isn't worth it. Head shape is important too. When I shaved my head I looked like a shrunken head from Beetlejuice. I'll be completely honest after making your video I have to say you look 100x better now with hair; hair brings out your eyes, highlights your features, and even make your clothes look better. I would wager to say 99% of men look better with hair. 

• Like 4

View my thread

31 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

People think that shaving your head is less hassle as you don't have to see the barber, but it's actually the opposite. I agree it all boils down to how you feel. Some guys don't care about shaving, and to those guys I say don't bother getting an HT, the cost, maintenance, etc probably isn't worth it. Head shape is important too. When I shaved my head I looked like a shrunken head from Beetlejuice. I'll be completely honest after making your video I have to say you look 100x better now with hair; hair brings out your eyes, highlights your features, and even make your clothes look better. I would wager to say 99% of men look better with hair. 

Man you have a fully normal head shape, honestly probably better then most bald guys. We are our own toughest critics. 

• Valued Contributor

Shaving your head has always been something that has changed in my lifetime. When I was 18 if I was to shave my head I would have been perceived as a skin head! Today if you shave your head you need a three piece suit to go with it! What is in vogue yesterday becomes in vogue today and so on. If in my time shaving your head was as popular as it is today I'm sure I would have done it. I personally believe that the role models in the main stream media today have liberated men to not only feel comfortable with shaving their head, but also have promoted it (though I know it's still not for everyone). Today we have people like Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, the Rock, Joe Rogan, Jason Statham, et al. When I was beginning to lose my hair all I had was Yul Brinner and Kojack (most of you will have to Google these names and no they weren't even accepted even back then. They were not the exception to the rule)!!!!!

36 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

I don't even like having my hair buzzed or at a 1 or 2 guard. Can't imagine going skin bald

There's a huge aesthetic difference to being skin bald vs. a NW1/NW1.5/NW2 shaved down to a 1 guard. 

With the right features and head shape, a good Norwood shaving down to a low guard, with a short stubble, is one of the most attractive styles guys can have.

3238599538a5f19fb3cecf6d2e92d17a.jpg

colin-farrell-during-minority-report-new-york-city-premiere-news-photo-1596137061.jpg

download-1.jpg

download-2.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 11.29.18.png

images-2.jpg

Edited by Curious25
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, Curious25 said:

There's a huge aesthetic difference to being skin bald vs. a NW1/NW1.5/NW2 shaved down to a 1 guard. 

With the right features and head shape, shaving down to a low guard, with a short stubble, is one of the most attractive styles guys can have.

colin-farrell-during-minority-report-new-york-city-premiere-news-photo-1596137061.jpg

download-1.jpg

download-2.jpg

images-2.jpg

Yep. Agreed!

On 4/22/2021 at 6:43 AM, Curious25 said:

With the right features and head shape, a good Norwood shaving down to a low guard, with a short stubble, is one of the most attractive styles guys can have.

download-1.jpg

download-2.jpg

images-2.jpg

I don't know if I agree. I've never seen a buzzcut on a guy where I felt the guy couldn't have grown it out and been that much better off. Like take beckham for example, yeah he looks alright with the buzz, and it's not his worse hair ever since the tragedy that was his dreads... But it doesn't come close to his usual style. The buzz is no nonsense I don't care about looks kinda look. You usually see it on guys who don't want to worry about their appearance like guys in the army. To me the buzz is like the hair equivalent of "I don't care what I wear". But Beckhams usual style is something you can bring on the red carpet and look classy and refined. Plus, in the dating game, a nicely styled haircut might mean a lot to the right woman. For example, Beckham with hair > buzzed beckham 

564e2f9c2491f92b008b6a48?width=1000&form

Plus I can't imagine spending 5 figures just to get a buzzcut man. The joy of having hair is to style it and experiment with it. Hair has obvious cosmetic benefits but it's also about the fashion/style ya know? It's kinda like a luxury car in a way. Part of it might be somewhat practical (assuming that making you look better is practical) but part of it is just about style, the joy of ownership, and even being able to flaunt it. Difference is, you are not your car. 

Edited by deeznuts
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

My take on it is that if you are a good looking guy then shaving your head of hair just puts the focus on your face which is a win. If you shave your head of hair and you're not the most attractive looking individual then stick with the hair! 😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

I don't know if I agree. I've never seen a buzzcut on a guy where I felt the guy couldn't have grown it out and been that much better off. Like take beckham for example, yeah he looks alright with the buzz, and it's not his worse hair ever since the tragedy that was his dreads... But it doesn't come close to his usual style. The buzz is no nonsense I don't care about looks kinda look. You usually see it on guys who don't want to worry about their appearance like guys in the army. To me the buzz is like the hair equivalent of "I don't care what I wear". But Beckhams usual style is something you can bring on the red carpet and look classy and refined. Plus, in the dating game, a nicely styled haircut might mean a lot to the right woman. For example, Beckham with hair > buzzed beckham 

564e2f9c2491f92b008b6a48?width=1000&form

Plus I can't imagine spending 5 figures just to get a buzzcut man. The joy of having hair is to style it and experiment with it. Hair has obvious cosmetic benefits but it's also about the fashion/style ya know? It's kinda like a luxury car in a way. Part of it might be somewhat practical (assuming that making you look better is practical) but part of it is just about style, the joy of ownership, and even being able to flaunt it. Difference is, you are not your car. 

My point wasn't necessarily that buzz cuts look better than longer hair, but that buzz cuts on people with a full head of hair look a lot more aesthetically pleasing than a NW 6 shaved down, IE. shaved hair looks better than bald scalp. Hence the huge popularity of the shaved SMP look. 

I maintain my argument that a full head buzz cut with low guard stubble is a very attractive look, however whether individuals look better with a buzz cut vs. hair is dependent on the individual. Personally I believe younger Beckham with a buzz cut looked a lot better than he did with many of his hairstyles, and I'm sure most men and women who weren't attracted to the boy band look would agree; 

download-1.jpg.e4b8faeb3ec5ba4ac0e93263925fdb09.jpgdownload-2.jpg.f48f6aef2b7621a090b1518e6583f8c3.jpg

I think now, one of his most attractive styles that he pulls off at his current age are tight short back and sides, with low guard facial hair;

images-1.jpg.af971605985f61981b5368509348c4a4.jpgdownload-3.jpg.106bdf444f64a47cadc28c017822304b.jpg

Just to demonstrate a case when a buzz cut may suit some people more than having hair, I have found the following example where I believe this applies; 

233eeccb9f935b84a883e3da382c0cf0_md.jpg.6127c7a7a2398def4f15aa393996adb7.jpg

• Like 1

So I have buzzed my head periodically over the last decade, when I have felt my hair looked particularly bad, otherwise I am mostly cutting my hair myself anyway, and living my life as a diffuse NW4A. I look ok with it, but I felt self-conscious, and it draws peoples attention to it and you are more susceptible to being the butt of a joke. There have been some people who have in a "kind" tone of voice said I suit it, though numerous women have more openly said "I prefer how you look with hair". I am an open person, so whilst it is not their business what I want to do, I respect that they were open with me. I remember I felt deeply upset when my previous girlfriend reacted that way, because she knew how sensitive I am about this issue, and when I had empowered myself again for a "final" hairstyle, she at first did not seem to accept me for who I was. Though as you can relate to, I was a little sensitive about it :D

It is absolutely true, that shaving a full head of hair is not remotely comparable to shaving a balding pattern. This is quite honestly down to face framing, and that you do not feel judged based on not having hair loss. You are just a guy with hair, who buzzed his head. The more pronounced your hair loss, the shorter you might consider to buzz/shave your head to conceal the hair loss, whilst balancing the losing of face framing. If you are Bruce Willis bald, which was a mirror copy of my late father, then clean shaving understandably can empower you. I do personally think clean shaving any degree of hair loss is over-prescribed as the solution to hairloss by societal standards, because society creates this image that only strong balding mean clean shave their head. I think a buzz cut suits most advanced hair loss too, and is less upkeep than a shiny dome. 

Along the same vein, when we say "head shapes" that suit buzzed/bald it boils down to masculinity of the face shape. If you have have any of the celebrity "head shapes" that suit being bald, you probably had a squarer face, squarer jaw, more pronounced eyebrows. 

I would like to state, more power to guys who clean shave their head. I would simply recommend people do try shorter and shorter cuts to see what they are actually most comfortable with. Sorry for the long post!

• Like 2