How Many of You Have Shaved Your Head?

Have you shaved your head?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, j1mmy said:

This is quite honestly down to face framing, and that you do not feel judged based on not having hair loss. You are just a guy with hair, who buzzed his head.

Good point - psychologically, an advanced NW who has shaved his head down, is ultimately perceived as being a guy with no other choice. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

My point wasn't necessarily that buzz cuts look better than longer hair, but that buzz cuts on people with a full head of hair look a lot more aesthetically pleasing than a NW 6 shaved down, IE. shaved hair looks better than bald scalp. Hence the huge popularity of the shaved SMP look. 

I maintain my argument that a full head buzz cut with low guard stubble is a very attractive look, however whether individuals look better with a buzz cut vs. hair is dependent on the individual. Personally I believe younger Beckham with a buzz cut looked a lot better than he did with many of his hairstyles, and I'm sure most men and women who weren't attracted to the boy band look would agree; 

download-1.jpg.e4b8faeb3ec5ba4ac0e93263925fdb09.jpgdownload-2.jpg.f48f6aef2b7621a090b1518e6583f8c3.jpg

I think now, one of his most attractive styles that he pulls off at his current age are tight short back and sides, with low guard facial hair;

images-1.jpg.af971605985f61981b5368509348c4a4.jpgdownload-3.jpg.106bdf444f64a47cadc28c017822304b.jpg

Just to demonstrate a case when a buzz cut may suit some people more than having hair, I have found the following example where I believe this applies; 

233eeccb9f935b84a883e3da382c0cf0_md.jpg.6127c7a7a2398def4f15aa393996adb7.jpg

Oh yeah my bad. My reading comprehension is almost as bad as some of david beckhams haircuts apparently. Yeah, def agree about the buzz being better than bald look. It's definitely not a bad haircut, I just prefer my hair to be a net plus than a minor positive

Not sure I agree with the last pic though. Pic on the left has a crunchy look with a kinda weird looking style with a kinda goofy expression while pic on the right gets rid of the awkward hair and has a not so goofy expression. I'm not sure it's a fair comparison

Edited by deeznuts

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

My point wasn't necessarily that buzz cuts look better than longer hair, but that buzz cuts on people with a full head of hair look a lot more aesthetically pleasing than a NW 6 shaved down, IE. shaved hair looks better than bald scalp. Hence the huge popularity of the shaved SMP look. 

I agree because even a buzz cut on someone who has a full head of hair still shows a framed face.  It's completely different than a slick bald head and no facial frame.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 4/22/2021 at 6:34 AM, Gatsby said:

Shaving your head has always been something that has changed in my lifetime. When I was 18 if I was to shave my head I would have been perceived as a skin head! Today if you shave your head you need a three piece suit to go with it! What is in vogue yesterday becomes in vogue today and so on. If in my time shaving your head was as popular as it is today I'm sure I would have done it. I personally believe that the role models in the main stream media today have liberated men to not only feel comfortable with shaving their head, but also have promoted it (though I know it's still not for everyone). Today we have people like Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, the Rock, Joe Rogan, Jason Statham, et al. When I was beginning to lose my hair all I had was Yul Brinner and Kojack (most of you will have to Google these names and no they weren't even accepted even back then. They were not the exception to the rule)!!!!!

This exactly. I'm the same age as Gatsby. Being young and bald in the 1980's would have made me look like a neo nazi skin head. There was no way I was going to do that. Nobody else shaved their heads in those days. There was no way I would have ever gotten a date from any women even half decent. It's no where near as bad today, although it still makes you look much older unless you actually are over 45.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
On 4/22/2021 at 3:34 AM, Gatsby said:

Shaving your head has always been something that has changed in my lifetime. When I was 18 if I was to shave my head I would have been perceived as a skin head! Today if you shave your head you need a three piece suit to go with it! What is in vogue yesterday becomes in vogue today and so on. If in my time shaving your head was as popular as it is today I'm sure I would have done it. I personally believe that the role models in the main stream media today have liberated men to not only feel comfortable with shaving their head, but also have promoted it (though I know it's still not for everyone). Today we have people like Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, the Rock, Joe Rogan, Jason Statham, et al. When I was beginning to lose my hair all I had was Yul Brinner and Kojack (most of you will have to Google these names and no they weren't even accepted even back then. They were not the exception to the rule)!!!!!

You’re one of the very few guys I can honestly and genuinely say look good with a shaved head. But, those curly locks would definitely be better overall IMO.

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
12 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This exactly. I'm the same age as Gatsby. Being young and bald in the 1980's would have made me look like a neo nazi skin head. There was no way I was going to do that. Nobody else shaved their heads in those days. There was no way I would have ever gotten a date from any women even half decent. It's no where near as bad today, although it still makes you look much older unless you actually are over 45.

@BeHappy you have raised an excellent point! I believe that once you get over the bell curve of a certain age that shaving your head actually does (or at least can) make you look younger. Since I shaved my head and had SMP my friends (and total strangers who have asked me my age) have all told me that I look younger than I actually am. I'm not mentioning this for my ego (but I'll take it ;-)) but I do get this a lot. Last week I went to have my Covid shot. I'm 54 and the lady behind the desk tried to turn me away, telling me that the Astra Zeneca is only for people under 50!! 😃 I think a lot has to do with not having a thinning head of greying hair as well but people have told me more times than not that they thought I was younger.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2021 at 11:35 PM, TrialAcc said:

This is basically how it is. In 99% of cases, being bald is only actually a problem when it affects your perception of yourself to the point of obsession because it is going to be reflected in almost every interaction you have (the exception would probably be if you rely heavily on appearance for your career, like actors, models or vanity driven sales) . People don't like to hear this though, they'd rather blame the instance of baldness itself for why they are treated differently or feel differently rather then coming to the conclusion/reality that no one actually cares and what people are actually reacting to is the extreme negative atmosphere you are giving off. 

I wish I had seen this comment before having an ht

Only seen my head bald with a complete buzz down now that i've gone for a hair transplant. I thought the back of my head was flat like a slab lol, but turns out it was merely all the anaesthetic and swelling from the donor zone extracted in so i might potentially give it a go again when my hair is kind of going through the ugly duckling phase around months 2-3. It was jarring for sure at first and the swelling isn't helping but as time does go on and i've seen it subside, i actually think the framing of the new hairline with temple points is why i'm kind of getting used to the look. That said, HTs aren't perfect and i do wonder how it would hold up as an "Illusion of Density" under a full buzz cut. 

4 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Only seen my head bald with a complete buzz down now that i've gone for a hair transplant. I thought the back of my head was flat like a slab lol, but turns out it was merely all the anaesthetic and swelling from the donor zone extracted in so i might potentially give it a go again when my hair is kind of going through the ugly duckling phase around months 2-3. It was jarring for sure at first and the swelling isn't helping but as time does go on and i've seen it subside, i actually think the framing of the new hairline with temple points is why i'm kind of getting used to the look. That said, HTs aren't perfect and i do wonder how it would hold up as an "Illusion of Density" under a full buzz cut. 

Shaved actually suits you big time bro, especially with the new temples and hairline

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Shaved actually suits you big time bro, especially with the new temples and hairline

Thanks a lot man. Really appreciate you saying that. 

I guess i kind of have to get used to it too for a bit lol. I am slowly having the swelling reduce down and i you're 100% right that because of the temple points being there and the reinforced hairline, it looks more crisp. That's why if you have no hair loss and buzz it down, it usually looks better but if you are say like a Norwood 4+ and without temple points, a slick bald razor shave looks better. 

Personally i am still kind of getting used to the mirror too with how it looks with the temple points. They're jarring in terms of going from absolutely nothing to what i have got now but not like in a bad way. It's just amazing to finally see how much framing they give people. 

• Like 1

I shaved it once, didn't like it at all but my friends said it was fine, but they're bald as well.

After that, a buzz cut was my go to style, 1mm max. Worked out perfectly. Changed my clothing style to match it and got some compliments.

Now after my first HT I'm going to do a buzz cut again but then after the 12 month mark. Just curious how that will have improved. If it looks good I might let go on the second HT wish. But it's still very tempting.

However, currently I just want to enjoy the growth phase 🙂

• Administrators

I would recommend anyone considering an HT to shave their head before. You never know if the shaved head look is for you unless you try it. If it’s not, all the more to go through with an HT.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would recommend anyone considering an HT to shave their head before. You never know if the shaved head look is for you unless you try it. If it’s not, all the more to go through with an HT.

Also from my experience it means you don't see a flat swollen slab head :D

They partially shaved my donor areas and you only 100% have it shaved after the operation but a lot of people have said it looks good on me. Personally i'm so conditioned to hair and styling it that perhaps i just need to wait a bit to mentally adjust to the buzzed down look over the next 4-5 weeks.