My hairline and crown results from FUT in July 2020

EvoXOhio

2 minutes ago, SLA said:

I think proponents of multi follicular units say it can provide a better illusion of density and cover more surface area over dense packing.

I am not so sure everyone is against it. There are some reputable surgeons that use them.

Reading up on it a bit now, a lot of places (including where I went to) do say that it provides a greater illusion of density. Considering how dense my hair looks combed versus messy, it definitely does provide great coverage when combed. The issue is though if my hair is messy or really short, more scalp will be seen and the unnatural row like plugginess of the grafts are noticeable. So I think these multi units grafts only provide more density if the hair is beyond a certain length and able to conceal the scalp. 

• Like 1

I almost went to their Nashville branch, they are very good at selling that multi-unit approach.  I went in for an ARTAS consult and left scheduled for multi-unit before I found these forums and cancelled.

• Like 1

My Hair Transplant: 12/14/2020, 2,380 FUT, Dr. Konior
Medication:  Finasteride 1mg daily (most days I remember)

• 2 weeks later...

Not technically an update on my progress but something cool happened to me today. I was getting a haircut for the first time in about 2-3 months. I always dread the end when they hold up a mirror to show you the back, because the bright overhead lights shine right on your bald spot and makes it look worse than it is. At my last appointment 2-3 months ago I was still able to see quite a bit of scalp peeking through the hair. Well today, for the first time in over a decade, I saw no bald spot when she showed me the back. Not even a trace of it. Now of course my hair was styled, and if it’s messy I can certainly see some scalp. But the fact that my hair was styled and under those harsh lights and I saw no scalp was such an awesome thing. 

and to think it’s going to be even better here soon because I’m getting SMP density treatments in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Not technically an update on my progress but something cool happened to me today. I was getting a haircut for the first time in about 2-3 months. I always dread the end when they hold up a mirror to show you the back, because the bright overhead lights shine right on your bald spot and makes it look worse than it is. At my last appointment 2-3 months ago I was still able to see quite a bit of scalp peeking through the hair. Well today, for the first time in over a decade, I saw no bald spot when she showed me the back. Not even a trace of it. Now of course my hair was styled, and if it’s messy I can certainly see some scalp. But the fact that my hair was styled and under those harsh lights and I saw no scalp was such an awesome thing. 

and to think it’s going to be even better here soon because I’m getting SMP density treatments in a couple of weeks. 

That's fantastic @EvoXOhio!

Looking forward to seeing the results of your SMP density treatments!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Great to hear ! It’s progress like this which feels really good 😌 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well, you got great results considering, when you hear back let me know. I believe our crowns are similar.

@Melvin-ModeratorHere’s what I got back from them:

”Your graft count was 2060 total.  150 Micro grafts, 450 Follicular Units and 1460 Multi-Units.  Make sure the friends that are asking Understand that our graft counts differ from other places because of the Multi-Unit approach.  The total number of transplanted hairs was 9,670.”

Take that for what you will. The graft count seems low considering the coverage I got, but as stated before they do the chunky multi-unit grafts which means their graft count doesn’t match what a forum recommended doctor would have. I know I got a ton of coverage, but 9670 hairs seems a bit high too. I’m not going to obsess over it or over analyze it. For $12,000 I got pretty damn good coverage and I likely would have had to have paid a lot more money anywhere else for the same coverage. 

That makes sense (I think)- Since they use multi units, the graft count is different. If you assume in a non-multi unit clinic, that there are an average of ~2.4 hairs per graft, you would be looking at ~4,000 grafts  in another non-multi unit clinic. In this case, the average graft contained 4.69 hairs.

In the end it doesn't matter as you got excellent coverage; perhaps more coverage than you might have seen in a non-multi unit clinic as multi grafts (if done right- as was in your case) will provide a better illusion of density.

• Like 1

9 month update. I haven’t seen any new hairs pop out in a very long time, and I haven’t noticed any thickening of existing hair in several months, so I think it’s safe to say my HT is “done”. Sure it’s possible some hairs will continue to thicken for the next 3-9 months, but I think for all intents and purposes I am done. 

This timing for this is good, because on a week from today I get my first SMP density treatment. So that will make it virtually impossible to determine if there is any new growth. I’ve also started on DUT as of three weeks ago, which could in theory cause growth or thicken up any existing hairs. 

I plan on documenting my SMP experience here, so I’ll show close ups of the scalp before hand, after the first SMP session, after the second session, and then once it’s fully healed.

im also planning to grow my hair long, so I’ll probably update this thread every month until I reach the desired length. 

39D333CC-14BF-45D9-9C79-92667A365526.jpeg

048C2782-4B88-46C1-83EC-7407255A158D.jpeg

10EA4C60-C66E-4D7B-A612-C15E8B4C862C.jpeg

796C6EA2-CDC6-446E-8544-DC9CF826A034.jpeg

E70E6EFF-AD07-4449-9E67-70CB2B4B5436.jpeg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’m interested in seeing your smp experience. From what I gathered from

@hairthere it’s not as viable with long hair. But hopefully we’ll get a real life review to look at.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m interested in seeing your smp experience. From what I gathered from

@hairthere it’s not as viable with long hair. But hopefully we’ll get a real life review to look at.

I think it all depends on how much hair the person still has. If you have a giant bald spot, SMP for density is going to look like crap. If your hair is pretty full (like mine) with some pieces of scalp sticking out, it’s going to fill in nicely. I’ve attached a couple examples of density SMP from the guy who will be doing mine. Their hair isn’t long but it’s long enough to see that it looks good. 

5C777B7E-B94B-4BAB-BADF-60BDBA6D4008.png

F1736193-DF15-47DB-99D2-F0054F5BF146.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my before and pics after one SMP session. Both are taken in the harshest light in my house. The first was before, and the second was from today which is 4 days after the SMP was done, when all the extra ink and scabs have fallen out and everything is healed. Just from one treatment alone the change is dramatic. I think after the second session it will be near perfect. 

1AE1CCB7-2822-46A5-8DF3-2215FEED3274.jpeg

6ED57388-AA93-4A1C-954F-C55C34562F55.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Looks really good, where’d you go? How much did it cost? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

The first layer of SMP is just a light base layer. After your third and final session the density illusion will be brilliant! 

This particular place told me that for density treatments, most often it only requires two treatments. Considering it’s a 5 hour drive and an over night stay for each treatment, I hope that ends up being the case. But I’ll definitely get the third treatment if I need it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Looks really good, where’d you go? How much did it cost? 

Hairline Ink in Chicago. It’s $2500 total for two sessions. If you need a third it’s $700 and that also includes a free touch up after if needed within the first year. 

The price was on par or a bit cheaper with all the other places I talked to. I went with this place because their results were by far the best. What surprised me was how fast it went. I thought they originally told me it would be about 3-4 hours but I was only there an hour. I am in the wrong line of work if it’s possible to make $1250 an hour putting dots on someone’s head, lol. And this guy is one of the best in the country, booked out for 1-2 months constantly, has awards, etc. 

Also worth noting is they did my entire scalp not just the crown. So even right behind my hairline and my my scalp where I have a fair amount of hair, but can see a bit of scalp in harsh lighting, I can no longer see any scalp there whatsoever. I didn’t post pics of that because it was hard to capture. 

4 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Also worth noting is they did my entire scalp not just the crown. So even right behind my hairline and my my scalp where I have a fair amount of hair, but can see a bit of scalp in harsh lighting, I can no longer see any scalp there whatsoever. I didn’t post pics of that because it was hard to capture. 

good idea.

How long did it take to complete the 1st session?

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

This particular place told me that for density treatments, most often it only requires two treatments. Considering it’s a 5 hour drive and an over night stay for each treatment, I hope that ends up being the case. But I’ll definitely get the third treatment if I need it. 

Did Michal or Scott do the work?