My hairline and crown results from FUT in July 2020

EvoXOhio

30 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Ok I was thinking it was a different place, the good news is your hair looks pretty good styled. I can see how those chunky grafts could be bothersome. Are you considering getting it repaired?

I don’t think I’d necessarily get a repair type HT, I think with it being my crown if I just got a lot more grafts added it would look fine. I am financially ok with a second HT, but I really don’t want to go through the whole process (shaving my head, surgery, sleeping on my back for a week, shock loss, months of ugly duckling, wearing a hat for months, etc.) Because my hair looks pretty good when styled, I was considering SMP in the crown to give the illusion of density and hide the scalp and the chunky graphs. 

if I wasn’t happy with my hair styled because it was too thin everywhere or I had visible problem areas, I’d get a second HT right away. But I’m having trouble justifying all the negative things i mentioned above just for some extra hair under what I have. Which is why I may try SMP first. 

Edited by EvoXOhio

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

I don’t think I’d necessarily get a repair type HT, I think with it being my crown if I just got a lot more grafts added it would look fine. I am financially ok with a second HT, but I really don’t want to go through the whole process (shaving my head, surgery, sleeping on my back for a week, shock loss, months of ugly duckling, wearing a hat for months, etc.) Because my hair looks pretty good when styled, I was considering SMP in the crown to give the illusion of density and hide the scalp and the chunky graphs. 

if I wasn’t happy with my hair styled because it was too thin everywhere or I had visible problem areas, I’d get a second HT right away. But I’m having trouble justifying all the negative things i mentioned above just for some extra hair under what I have. Which is why I may try SMP first. 

Totally makes sense, I mean your hair looks better than mine that’s for sure. You’ve got some great density. If anything a little fiber in the crown would go a long way. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Totally makes sense, I mean your hair looks better than mine that’s for sure. You’ve got some great density. If anything a little fiber in the crown would go a long way. 

I think I would consider fiber and concealer for like a one off special occasion like a wedding or something. But my goal is to have hair that I don’t have to worry about at all on a daily basis. I’m hoping to achieve that with SMP, but it may mean a second HT. I feel like SMP is worth a shot since the cost is low and there’s no recovery or ugly duckling stage or waiting. It’s immediate improvement. Then worst case scenario if it’s not enough or my hair loss gets worse, I’ll bite the bullet and get another HT

At the end of the day I have to look at my before pics and remind myself how far my hair has come and be thankful for that. I had an ugly asymmetrical receding hairline and a giant bald spot that I couldn’t combover or cover with anything. Now I have the illusion of a full head of hair. I look 10 times better than before. The hair greed is real though. 

• Like 1

Looks pretty hood honestly.

Also you probably don’t have to shave if you do just the crown and FUT? Then the ugly duckling phase is removed and you’d only have to suffer for a couple weeks? Just assuming though, a doctor would know better.

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

10 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

Looks pretty hood honestly.

Also you probably don’t have to shave if you do just the crown and FUT? Then the ugly duckling phase is removed and you’d only have to suffer for a couple weeks? Just assuming though, a doctor would know better.

That’s a good point, some doctors do no shave FUTs. I’d still likely have some ugly stage but reduced. I’d have about a month or two before the FUT scar wasn’t visible. And I’d risk shock loss in the scar area plus the shock loss in crown, so I could still wind up pretty ugly lol. But much less so. 

when you look from your starting point and put it in perspective, its an awesome transformation, any result could be better or be improved - i just did a small FUE for some spots on my hairline that bothered me everytime I looked in the mirror!

if you do another crown pass, you will be making yourself happier which is all that matters, otherwise, overall your hair looks great. best of luck 

53 minutes ago, home1212 said:

when you look from your starting point and put it in perspective, its an awesome transformation, any result could be better or be improved - i just did a small FUE for some spots on my hairline that bothered me everytime I looked in the mirror!

if you do another crown pass, you will be making yourself happier which is all that matters, otherwise, overall your hair looks great. best of luck 

Thanks! Yes I have to constantly look at my before pics and remind myself how far I’ve come. The hair greed gets strong at times. 

Still early days for the crown. Mine and many others have kept improving until month 18. As you mention you have a very good donor area. And a awesome beard. So if another procedure is needed then you will be done ! It’s a difficult balance to make though. You wouldn’t want to put to many grafts in the known black hole that is the crown. And then not have as many as you need in reserve for the remainder of the scalp. 

Edited by JohnAC71

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Still early days for the crown. Mine and many others have kept improving until month 18. As you mention you have a very good donor area. And a awesome beard. So if another procedure is needed then you will be done ! It’s a difficult balance to make though. You wouldn’t want to put to many grafts in the known black hole that is the crown. And then not have as many as you need in reserve for the remainder of the scalp. 

That’s a good point about the remainder of the scalp. I’m fairly sure my hair loss is stabilized though, but I could be wrong. I started losing hair in my late 20s, and I’ll be 42 next month. Been on fin and min for 2 years and haven’t noticed any additional loss. About to start DUT as well. But, I have an uncle who had a full head of hair until she 50 then he started losing his, so you never know. 

• Like 1

There are some advantages (I think) if done right for the chubby Multi-grafts. The can provide a better illusion of density. You may have been served well by these grafts.

1 hour ago, SLA said:

There are some advantages (I think) if done right for the chubby Multi-grafts. The can provide a better illusion of density. You may have been served well by these grafts.

Very possible. I have great illusion of density with my hair styled just right, despite the giant spacing between each graft. So it looks better long and combed over, but if it was cut short it would look off. 

• Like 1

I had my 8 month follow up yesterday. I expressed my concerns about my crown thinness. He of course said to give it more time, but then he pulled out my pre-op and 4 months pictures to compare. I didn’t have copies of these pictures, and I didn’t have any pictures of my own from the same timeframe. After comparing the progress, I am now 100% happy with my results. I do plan on getting SMP on my scalp to add crown density, but that’s just to augment this. 

in the picture below the left column is pre-op, middle is 4 months after, right column is 8 months after.

AFBAB5F0-CA04-4068-9067-F915BCCC1C2E.jpeg

17 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

picture paints a thousand words..... 🙏

It really does. I also think that I had forgotten how balding I was and over the last 8 months I’ve seen steady improvement so how I used to look was forgotten. I also obviously didn’t take pictures of my scalp or hairline prior to all this, so I didn’t have a frame of reference. And in general I just didn’t have a lot of pictures of me that showed my hair. 

I showed these to my fiancé and said “wtf why did you let me walk around looking like this, half my hair was gone. You should have told me to shave it bald! 😂

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 1

Just now, EvoXOhio said:

It really does. I also think that I had forgotten how balding I was and coke the last 8 months I’ve seen steady improvement so how I used to look was forgotten. I also obviously didn’t take pictures of my scalp or hairline prior to all this, so I didn’t have a frame of reference. And in general I just didn’t have a lot of pictures of me that showed my hair. 

I showed these to my fiancé and said “wtf why did you let me walk around looking like this, half my hair was gone. You should have told me to shave it bald! 😂

She’s a keeper 🤣😂

• Haha 1

The ONLY downside to these pictures is seeing how thin my mid scalp is. I knew it was thinning but not to this level. My hair is long now so I can’t see it. But hopefully the SMP I’m getting plus the topical dutasteride I’m starting today will improve the look on the mid scalp if I cut my hair short. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, EvoXOhio said:

I had my 8 month follow up yesterday. I expressed my concerns about my crown thinness. He of course said to give it more time, but then he pulled out my pre-op and 4 months pictures to compare. I didn’t have copies of these pictures, and I didn’t have any pictures of my own from the same timeframe. After comparing the progress, I am now 100% happy with my results. I do plan on getting SMP on my scalp to add crown density, but that’s just to augment this. 

in the picture below the left column is pre-op, middle is 4 months after, right column is 8 months after.

AFBAB5F0-CA04-4068-9067-F915BCCC1C2E.jpeg

That’s pretty damn impressive. How many grafts did you get in the crown?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s pretty damn impressive. How many grafts did you get in the crown?

I don’t recall if they ever told me, I’m going to email them and ask. All I vaguely remember them saying is that the hairs (total hairs not grafts) transplanted were either 8,000 or 9,000.  When I got this done I had never heard of this forums and didn’t know crap about HTs, so I didn’t know all the things to ask and remember. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, EvoXOhio said:

I don’t recall if they ever told me, I’m going to email them and ask. All I vaguely remember them saying is that the hairs (total hairs not grafts) transplanted were either 8,000 or 9,000.  When I got this done I had never heard of this forums and didn’t know crap about HTs, so I didn’t know all the things to ask and remember. 

Well, you got great results considering, when you hear back let me know. I believe our crowns are similar.

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well, you got great results considering, when you hear back let me know. I believe our crowns are similar.

Thanks. Considering this is a franchise type place and I was completely ignorant about HTs, I am very happy with the results. Hopefully I’ll hear back tomorrow about graft counts, and then I’ll post it here. 

Results look fantastic. You got full coverage in one sitting.

Again, I do feel there are advantages to multi follicular units. I am not sure if things would have looked as dense if chubby grafts were not used.

1 hour ago, SLA said:

Results look fantastic. You got full coverage in one sitting.

Again, I do feel there are advantages to multi follicular units. I am not sure if things would have looked as dense if chubby grafts were not used.

Thanks! I guess I’m not entirely sure what the multi follicular units/chunky grafts are exactly. Does it mean they take two or more unique grafts/follicles from the donor area and jam them together into one incision slot in the recipient area?

2 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Thanks! I guess I’m not entirely sure what the multi follicular units/chunky grafts are exactly. Does it mean they take two or more unique grafts/follicles from the donor area and jam them together into one incision slot in the recipient area?

That is my understanding.

What are other’s thoughts on the use of multi follicular units in HTs?

Just now, SLA said:

That is my understanding.

What are other’s thoughts on the use of multi follicular units in HTs?

Ok that’s what I thought. I guess I don’t really understand why they do it versus just putting each graft in it’s own incision. It seems like that would provide for a more natural look. I definitely definitely didn’t realize they’d be cramming multiple follicles into one incision, but admittedly I was pretty ignorant when I got this procedure. I’m fairly certain everyone here is opposed to multi follicular units though. 

Just now, EvoXOhio said:

Ok that’s what I thought. I guess I don’t really understand why they do it versus just putting each graft in it’s own incision. It seems like that would provide for a more natural look. I definitely definitely didn’t realize they’d be cramming multiple follicles into one incision, but admittedly I was pretty ignorant when I got this procedure. I’m fairly certain everyone here is opposed to multi follicular units though. 

I think proponents of multi follicular units say it can provide a better illusion of density and cover more surface area over dense packing.

I am not so sure everyone is against it. There are some reputable surgeons that use them.