My hairline and crown results from FUT in July 2020

EvoXOhio

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

I remember the crown being the biggest difference. 

Yeah the crown change will be the biggest difference, but I’m not sure how many regular people pay attention to someone’s crown. And I’ve rocked the hair slicked back combover a few times too 😂

Just now, EvoXOhio said:

Yeah the crown change will be the biggest difference, but I’m not sure how many regular people pay attention to someone’s crown. And I’ve rocked the hair slicked back combover a few times too 😂

Just cruel mates sometimes 😂 ok so I was teased a fair bit 

Seen your first pics and most recent (haven't read the rest of the thread) and i think you were well ahead of the game at 5 months. Looking even better now too. I saw big improvement on my hairline between month 12 and 18...and the crown takes 18 months.

You're in for an amazing result. I think it's safe to name the doctor now, the HT was clearly a big success.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

46 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

Seen your first pics and most recent (haven't read the rest of the thread) and i think you were well ahead of the game at 5 months. Looking even better now too. I saw big improvement on my hairline between month 12 and 18...and the crown takes 18 months.

You're in for an amazing result. I think it's safe to name the doctor now, the HT was clearly a big success.

Thanks! Yeah I think I’ll post the doctor’s name soon. 😊

• Administrators
On 2/21/2021 at 8:14 AM, EvoXOhio said:

Tomorrow will be 7 months so snapped some new pictures today. I don’t see much thickening or maturing in my hairline, so this may be close to my final results. I hope it does thicken and fill in a bit more, but even if it doesn’t I am very pleased with how it looks now. Attached pictures are my hairline under direct harsh lighting. 

crown coverage continues to get better, but it’s hard to say if it’s from new growth/thickening or just my hair getting longer, or a combination of both. I buzzed my hair in October and haven’t cut the top since, so it continues to grow about 3/4 of an inch to an inch a month (my hair grows fast). Overall my crown looks pretty good in normal lighting as in the pictures attached, but if I deliberately expose it to extreme harsh lighting I still see a lot of scalp (didnt add pictures of this).  I know I still have 5-11 more months of growth and thickening so here’s hoping it improves further. 

65C7982D-D03B-45BB-91C1-AF3D4394C26E.jpeg

BF490799-0DBF-49DB-BCEE-C548B69FC16F.jpeg

5E9970A2-10DF-485A-8FB8-BF3E80EFC9AB.jpeg

1B8B087B-FD92-45C5-B30A-2B97D3D1C5AF.jpeg

9720A4DF-26A7-4457-A423-D041BD3AE514.jpeg

1150263E-991C-400F-91CF-58362DB83425.jpeg

Looks great man 👏🏼

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a few days shy of 8 months, but I’m having a good hair day so posting a few days early. I’m not seeing any real noticeable improvement, I think my results are basically done. My crown looks better but I think only because my hair is getting longer and covering more scalp. I haven’t cut the top of my hair since October when I buzzed it. If I brush the hair away there’s a lot of scalp still. When my hair is styled and hair sprayed I see virtually no scalp unless it’s very harsh lights. But if I try to wear my hair more naturally it moves around and shows scalp. So it’s basically a combover, lol. I just don’t think the doctor gave me the density they said they would. The spacing between hairs is too big. Even if the hairs thicken up over the next 4-10 months, I don’t think it will be enough. 

I’m going to give it until 10 or 12 months, then probably get some SMP on my crown to make it look fuller. I considered a second surgery but my results are good enough that I don’t want to go through the whole process again (shave head, sleep on back for a week, shock loss, ugly duckling for months, wearing a hat for months to hide my hair, etc.) for the little bit of extra hair I want.

But all that being said, I am very pleased with the results. My hair at this length before would have never hid my crown, and my hairline had receded asymmetrically making this hairstyle impossible. So I would say I’m 90% pleased with the results, and hopefully SMP gives me the extra 10%. My dream is to wear my hair naturally and without hair spray and not worry about scalp showing. I don’t want to do concealer or fibers either. And yes, I have hair greed  😊

B10153AA-95A6-4663-A2F4-36F67CF834F5.jpeg

8F7B59BB-2EC3-4D8A-8EFD-21E0ECB78769.jpeg

F4677ADF-6582-4873-9FEC-C5354D6626D5.jpeg

F22DEF68-9F2C-487D-83D9-07929318A850.jpeg

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 1

This looks great to me as I see no scalp.

As you know, HTs don't restore natural density so some degree of styling might always be necessary. Like you said, SMP might be a good option and if it really continues to bother you, you could always do another HT down the road.

Also, you definitely might continue to see improvements as you are only 8 months. Crown they say takes longer, closer to 18 months so you will likely continue to experience thickening and maturing!

Looking forward to learning the name of the doctor who did a great job on your hair!

1 hour ago, SLA said:

This looks great to me as I see no scalp.

As you know, HTs don't restore natural density so some degree of styling might always be necessary. Like you said, SMP might be a good option and if it really continues to bother you, you could always do another HT down the road.

Also, you definitely might continue to see improvements as you are only 8 months. Crown they say takes longer, closer to 18 months so you will likely continue to experience thickening and maturing!

Looking forward to learning the name of the doctor who did a great job on your hair!

I’m not expecting native density or anything close to it. But I’ve seen some amazing crown work on here that was way denser than mine. My scalp won’t visible now due to the styling. Later I may take a pic with my hair pushed aside so you can see the scalp to know what I mean.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

I’m not expecting native density or anything close to it. But I’ve seen some amazing crown work on here that was way denser than mine. My scalp won’t visible now due to the styling. Later I may take a pic with my hair pushed aside so you can see the scalp to know what I mean.  

For sure...I have seen many posts where people think they have their final results only to be pleasantly surprised as time moves on. At 8 months, I am hopeful you will get even better results. If not, you have plenty of options.

1 hour ago, SLA said:

For sure...I have seen many posts where people think they have their final results only to be pleasantly surprised as time moves on. At 8 months, I am hopeful you will get even better results. If not, you have plenty of options.

Yeah I’ve seen those too. But I think on their cases they had the right density, they just had to wait for hair maturation. I have relatively big gaps between each implanted graft, and I know no new hairs are going to sprout there. So hair maturation will help some but not be a fix all. 

41 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Yeah I’ve seen those too. But I think on their cases they had the right density, they just had to wait for hair maturation. I have relatively big gaps between each implanted graft, and I know no new hairs are going to sprout there. So hair maturation will help some but not be a fix all. 

I’ve heard as a general rule of thumb (and of course it varies) is that you can expect 80% hair growth at 8 months so you may have 20% yet to pop through...

Have you asked your doctor?

14 minutes ago, SLA said:

I’ve heard as a general rule of thumb (and of course it varies) is that you can expect 80% hair growth at 8 months so you may have 20% yet to pop through...

Have you asked your doctor?

I’ve heard that and I’ve heard so many competing things too. But also I think when someone says 80% growth they are including maturation as part of the total growth. In those cases they feel that by 6-8 months all hairs have popped through, and the remaining growth is maturation.  Others are literally saying 80% of the hairs have popped through and the other 20% have not yet. I think the former is more common though, that by now all of my hairs have popped through and the only additional growth is maturation. 

I have my 8 month follow up next week where I’m going to express my concerns about my crown. 

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 1

Here are a couple pictures where I pulled my hair apart deliberately to show how not dense my scalp is. It makes me upset even looking at them. But you can see the grafts are very spaced apart, and they’re in rows which makes it look even more unnatural. I think the doctor did a great job on my hairline but the crown was definitely not done as well. I’m basically forced to wear my hair kind of long (which is ok for now but not something I want to commit to for life) and also use a lot of hairspray to hold the hairs I have in place. What sucks the most is that I told them my biggest concern was the crown and to fill that first and only do the hairline if there was any hair left. 

49E5C46F-69E8-4B44-975D-817114F38957.jpeg

1EEB8149-D00C-47E0-991E-8AE1F3314F94.jpeg

Edited by EvoXOhio

Well, you can always get more grafts put in the crown. You look like you have good donor. 

Not sure it would have been different with another doctor.

I think the challenge is accepting that there is some limitations to a HT. In seeing your results, for me the bottom line is that with styling and kept at a certain length, the crown is concealed and looks great!

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Here are a couple pictures where I pulled my hair apart deliberately to show how not dense my scalp is. It makes me upset even looking at them. But you can see the grafts are very spaced apart, and they’re in rows which makes it look even more unnatural. I think the doctor did a great job on my hairline but the crown was definitely not done as well. I’m basically forced to wear my hair kind of long (which is ok for now but not something I want to commit to for life) and also use a lot of hairspray to hold the hairs I have in place. What sucks the most is that I told them my biggest concern was the crown and to fill that first and only do the hairline if there was any hair left. 

49E5C46F-69E8-4B44-975D-817114F38957.jpeg

1EEB8149-D00C-47E0-991E-8AE1F3314F94.jpeg

You have great quality hair, looks very coarse. By chance did you go to a place known for “max harvesting” where the grafts are chunky?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, SLA said:

Well, you can always get more grafts put in the crown. You look like you have good donor. 

Not sure it would have been different with another doctor.

I think the challenge is accepting that there is some limitations to a HT. In seeing your results, for me the bottom line is that with styling and kept at a certain length, the crown is concealed and looks great!

All very true. I definitely have enough donor for at least another FUT if not 2. Just trying to avoid all that and do SMP first. 

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You have great quality hair, looks very coarse. By chance did you go to a place known for “max harvesting” where the grafts are chunky?

They did take about multi-grafts or something along those lines. It did result in my crown looking more plight and unnatural in my opinion. Hence why I have known from early on I wouldn’t be 100% happy. This was all before I found this forum of course. 

I’ll just say the name of the place now because I’m pretty sure this is basically my final result. It was “PAI Medical Group” in Indianapolis. A chain place as I originally mentioned. I wish I had known about this forum first, but thankfully I at least got a decent result in the crown and a good result in the hairline. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

They did take about multi-grafts or something along those lines. It did result in my crown looking more plight and unnatural in my opinion. Hence why I have known from early on I wouldn’t be 100% happy. This was all before I found this forum of course. 

I’ll just say the name of the place now because I’m pretty sure this is basically my final result. It was “PAI Medical Group” in Indianapolis. A chain place as I originally mentioned. I wish I had known about this forum first, but thankfully I at least got a decent result in the crown and a good result in the hairline. 

Ok I was thinking it was a different place, the good news is your hair looks pretty good styled. I can see how those chunky grafts could be bothersome. Are you considering getting it repaired?

View my thread