My hairline and crown results from FUT in July 2020

EvoXOhio

You certainly sound much happier! And that's what it's all about right?

But yeah, I kinda see the "retro" vide with long hair. You're stuck in the David Spade look right now, but I'm sure it'll grow out and get that look you're going for. Maybe look at some leave-in conditioner to help with the texture? I use this stuff and love it. Smells kinda earthy too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3AY85S

Happy growing!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

You certainly sound much happier! And that's what it's all about right?

But yeah, I kinda see the "retro" vide with long hair. You're stuck in the David Spade look right now, but I'm sure it'll grow out and get that look you're going for. Maybe look at some leave-in conditioner to help with the texture? I use this stuff and love it. Smells kinda earthy too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3AY85S

Happy growing!

Damn you called me David Spade I’m crying now. 😂 I’ve grown out my hair before and there’s definitely a long ugly duckling phase where it just looks terrible. It’s hard to stick with it but I’m going to because it will be worth it, I hope…..

I’ve tried almost every product (shampoo, conditioner, leave in, hair styling product, etc.) imaginable for taming course wiry hair, and nothing works. The only thing I’ve seen that may help is a Brazilian blowout or a keratin treatment, but they are expensive and for some people they have adverse results, so I don’t want to risk it. I’ll give the one you posted a try though, can’t hurt. 

• 3 months later...

18 month update, mostly just showing that my hair continues to get longer. My hair is wavy and curly at the bottom so it’s actually a bit longer than it looks in the pictures. Last weekend we were out with friends and some candid shots were taken in super harsh light. No signs of baldness or thinning whatsoever, I just look like a guy with a mature hairline and some temple point recession. 

I never would have dreamed that I’d be able to have long hair and not look like a bald guy. I think I’m past the David Spade hair length stage and now into the Kurt Cobain stage, haha. My hair is getting super long and in a few more months I should be able to wear it in a pony tail. 

Some days I still get hair greed and consider another HT, wishing my crown was a bit thicker, hairline a bit lower, and had stronger temple points. But given how good it looks and how long my hair is, I think it just makes sense to ride it out like this and wait and see if I have additional loss on 5-10 years. I’m almost 43 and my hair loss appears to have been stabilized for the last couple of years, so I’m hoping to not get further loss, but just want to play it safe. 

Since there’s not much to see here I probably won’t post again any time soon, maybe at the 2 year update. 

4094BB88-1173-4740-B29B-6E4B9E87A1FB.jpeg

392EF1CF-1654-4CCB-B59D-B1915955D98E.jpeg

Also in the interest of transparency, the SMP is doing a lot of work hiding visible scalp on the crown. The HT itself didn’t give me the coverage I needed. And I do still have to use comb the hair on my crown just right and then also hairspray just on the crown to ensure that no scalp shows. It’s not perfect but it’s manageable and good enough considering where I started. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Your hair looks awesome!!! you've changed my mind about SMP it looks great when you have hair as well.
Do you know any good SMP places in the UK? Do you have any tips on how I can find a good place?

Are you getting any sexual sides with dutasteride? if so how are you combatting them?

Thanks for this amazing thread. I literally signed up because of you!

• Like 1

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t know of any good places in the UK. Maybe search in the SMP section of this forum and if you don’t find anything there, start a new post. I’m sure someone can provide a recommendation.  Just be sure to do tons of research, there are a lot of bad places out there just like bad hair mills. 

I stopped topical dutasteride because I didn’t see any positive change. I had no side effects from that, nor from the oral finasteride I take. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t know of any good places in the UK. Maybe search in the SMP section of this forum and if you don’t find anything there, start a new post. I’m sure someone can provide a recommendation.  Just be sure to do tons of research, there are a lot of bad places out there just like bad hair mills. 

I stopped topical dutasteride because I didn’t see any positive change. I had no side effects from that, nor from the oral finasteride I take. 

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Did you do SMP on your sides or just your crown?

22 minutes ago, DHAwk said:

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Did you do SMP on your sides or just your crown?

You’re welcome. Basically it was done on the male pattern baldness was area. It starts about a half inch or an inch behind my hairline (I asked for it that’s at so there wouldn’t be dots on my hairline) and covers my entire frontal third, mid scalp, and crown. The area below and to the sides of the male pattern baldness area were not done. If I ever wanted the shaved head SMP loop, I’d likely need a session or two to blend my existing SMP into my shaved hair. But I don’t plan on ever shaving my head. 

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Your hair looks insane! 🙌It's great to see hair worn long for a change! Thanks for sharing and wishing you all the best! 🙏

Thank you! I’ve been following your thread and am so excited for your new hair!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Do you ever plan on doing the temple points?

I don’t plan on getting another HT unless I lose my hair. If that happens, I’d probably get my hairline lowered a bit and do my temple points, in addition to the area that has new loss. 

• Like 1

Looks amazing. Are you able to just get up and go without spending time on styling? Is the crown thick enough? 

Also - what clinic did you go to? 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

3 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

Looks amazing. Are you able to just get up and go without spending time on styling? Is the crown thick enough? 

Also - what clinic did you go to? 

The crown is thick enough to hide all the scalp when my hair is styled, but it really isn’t thick enough to just go without styling. I normally wear my back back in a pony tail. I just comb it back, tie it in a ponytail tail, then spray a tiny bit of hair spray on the crown to hold it in place. If I wear it down, I just quickly comb it and spray a tiny bit of hairspray on the crown. When my hair was shorter, I was able to go without styling, or just quickly ran my hands through it. Longer hair tends to clump and separate more, revealing scalp. 

I went to a place called PAI Medical Group in Indiana, which is a chain. I picked it before I found this site. I’m happy with the results, but some things could have been better. If I could do it all over again I’d choose a doctor that this site recommends. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...