Dr. Rahal - 2,401 FUE NW2

9 hours ago, JP28 said:

Thanks for the answer!

I’ll probably restart very soon then, I’m a bit like you “paranoid” particularly cause I’m 3 months post HT so I might wait for most of it to be out. 

Yeah it’s not really necessary to needle the recipient anyway, the surgery itself already created a lot more of the needling effect, and those grafts don’t really need the wounding right now. 

Goodluck you’re so close to the best months now 

• 2 weeks later...

11 Month and Final update

Tomorrow I turn 29, almost a full year since my HT and probably about 3 years since hair became life's greatest problem. So what better gift to myself than to give my final update and flip this page at least for a little while and focus on developing other things in my life. 

I don't see Dr. Rahal until late September to have my final check and discuss the result; see if any additional work should be planned in the near future and most important for me is to have him assess my donor after surgery and hopefully get a good estimate of what I have to work with in the future. 

I am very fortunate that the pandemic took some weight off of my recovery as Canada was under lockdown for most of sep 2020 to early 2021 and I had a whole 8 months in-between having any real obligations to see anyone in person. That being said, I don't have any "shame" having done the procedure, thats none-sense, anyone in our place would do this as well and I remain open to talk about it when it is brought up as it ends up helping others more than it does falsely protecting my ego.
To any first timers considering surgery soon, the first 4-5 months will be tough. You will shed, you will likely have some shock loss, you will look worse than you started, and even though I believed I was very prepared for the recovery after doing my research, it was still a daily battle of the mind. There were periods during the ugly duckling phase that I questioned my decision in getting a transplant and other times I questioned whether  Rahal's clinic was able to deliver results I wanted. I replayed the process of the surgery and my recovery in my head over and over to figure if something had gone wrong. I can't stress enough that if you don't choose a clinic you're absolutely sure of, this period post surgery will be hell and likely over time it won't do much to bring you back the confidence that you're striving for. Always aim to get it right the first time, current hair transplant procedures are a delicate numbers game.

Its my opinion that its absolutely crucial that you only go through with this surgery if:
- You have the financial ability to go to your top surgeon picks
- You have consulted with multiple doctors (in person if possible) to understand if you are a candidate 
- You have exhausted all options with a prevention regimen ** . For me prevention comes first (will make a separate post to talk about prevention)
- You have really truly understood the expectations of surgery, really understanding what the 'illusion of density' entails. 

My Final results:

2E60878C-1A6D-4BB6-8564-803F79A308C1.thumb.jpeg.45fdf0bf609b98be3ced2f9ae84aeda0.jpeg0D480D87-473D-43DC-A438-E95BAFE19F72.thumb.jpeg.12b5094e551f34e9de8bdc25d98f47cd.jpeg

64392153-870C-49EA-BCC8-E6CB00170C9F.thumb.jpeg.0b6d4d19e702e81c565d94034e2c190b.jpeg10C432CF-2D8B-4A4D-93E8-F5D75146A7A7.thumb.jpeg.f1588f03b84a5b8bac77412e6ec52163.jpeg

66CA3274-3635-429B-BACE-233820B03C10.thumb.jpeg.410ea778317fb45ec086090db0fa72cb.jpeg

It feels amazing to have finally come to this point and be able to reflect on the result positively. I feel the result is very natural and a good overall density. I believe Dr. Rahal did a good job transplanting up until my native hairs and fortunately I didn't suffer any shock loss in behind the recipient. In certain situations, if I'm going out or I know i'll be exposed to a lot of light I'll put in some toppik to make it look fuller, but otherwise for the most part I leave it the way it is. I often wash my hair and use a blowdryer on a cool setting to style it and I'm on my way. I should mention that it took sometime for the transplanted hairs to begin to behave like the rest of my hair, and that will also likely improve with a little more time. I'm very happy with the flow in my hairline as it really matches the style I've had forever and that speaks volumes on Dr. Rahal's artistry and ability to recreate a natural look. I'll try to find a starting photo and I'll make a before and after post as well to highlight the difference. 

Edited by TorontoMan
  • Like 5

Hair looks amazing mate, if I were to walk past you in the street, you'd fall into the category of guy's I look at and envy, perceiving them have never worried a day about hair loss in their lives. 

Good for you. 

• Like 1

Current Prevention - 1mg Fin, 2.5mg Oral Min, Topical 5% Minoxidil 1x a day, Needling every 10 days 1.5mm, Nizarol once every two weeks or as needed. 

* Note - I use to use nizarol once a week, and midweek I would use Regenpure's 1% Keto shampoo, but have recently dropped it as its been clearly drying my scalp and hair making it feel weak and look frizzy. I will only use Nizarol now sparingly and mainly when I feel my scalp becomes irritated as it its really great at clearing any dandruff or seb dermatitis.

Adding to Prevention

2% (20mg) RU58841 in 1.5 ml PG + ETH.
(experimental chemical, not approved for hair loss) 

- Trialing a topical anti androgen to compete with residual DHT and Testosterone in the scalp. 
- Minimal dose of RU, as I don't believe its necessary to go any higher due to its high binding affinity at first pass. 
- I also have fluridil powder which I intend to trial at >5% dose if I don't comply with RU. 

Excited for the future - 

1. BAY 1159061 - Bayer's prolactin receptor antibody 
If you're not familiar with this then I highly recommend you read up on the product. Bayer struck a licensing agreement with a Chinese company named Hopemed and raised $56 million dollars for this project, it is currently in phase 2 trials and the results will likely be published end of this year or early next year. The prolactin angle to combatting hair loss has been all the rage recently as it it is thought that prolactin made locally in the hair follicle is inhibiting stem cells in the follicle by shutting down their signalling. The antibody being developed is thought to be very selective for the PRL receptor so that it binds and stops PRL from exerting its negative effects on the follicle, which would in turn allow for things like WNT signalling to take place and other stem cell signalling. Androgens and PRL may have a synergistic effect on your hair, so reducing androgens and inhibiting the PRL receptor with BAY could theoretically "reset balding". 

“The PRL receptor antibody is a potent monoclonal antibody, blocking the PRL receptor-mediated pathway in a non-competitive manner. The drug product can be administrated subcutaneously. The antibody was well tolerated in a clinical Ph I study (combined single and multiple dosing).

The antibody was effective in stimulating hair growth in aged stump-tailed macaques, nearly doubling the number of terminal hairs after 6 months even in previously fully bald areas and showing a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment. Notably, the stump-tail macaque model is considered one of the rare predictive animal models for male and female pattern hair loss in humans. The study is a result of a close collaboration between Bayer scientists and researchers at IMM.”

https://www.folliclethought.com/bayer-licenses-hair-loss-treatment/

This is a very promising upcoming treatment and in my opinion might even turn out to be a functional cure for most men. It is hopefully only 2-4 years away from market, and in my opinion it is worth holding out any hair transplants until we get more results and information from trials as it could have great potential for regrowth

2. Kintor Pharma's AR antagonist (pyrilutamide) and AR degrader (GT20029)

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/kintor-pharmaceutical-from-china/

^ Well written write up on the two products and how they're progressing. 

The AR degrader is thought to have potential to reduce the AR sensitivity, this means that your hair folicles will be less prone to the effects of DHT and test. Of course in theory, if this is safe, this will be a major step forward. The AR antogonist will be similar to any topical AA like RU for example, but we will likely have a better understanding of its binding affinity and safety profile for those who are concerned. This is already in phase 2 in China and has entered phase 1 in the US. Its also thought to have a greater binding affinity than CB & FLuridil with similar safety profile

Other compounds being discussed and trialled anecdotally by guys across other forums are:

SMI-6 - mimics the effects of BAY on the PRL receptor

WAY-200070 - ERb antagonist to induce estrogen type effect on hair (estrogen is good for hair) without acting on the ERa which is what would give feminizing side effects from increasing estrogen levels. 

* ^These two are not something I'm trialing myself, but just something for you to take note of and read up on as more info comes in. 

Lastly, topical dutasteride is getting a lot of attention in the last couple of years. H&W clinic are apparently trialing their own formulation currently and are looking to release a small study they've done by the end of this year. More could be found on topical dutasteride online. 

There it is, this was a bit manic and it felt like I was writing up a small research paper for uni, but I wanted to do my service to the forum as it really helped me from the beginning. I'm very optimistic that this is an exciting time for hair loss as there are so many things in the pipeline, more than I even mentioned here.  

Edited by TorontoMan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Hair looks amazing mate, if I were to walk past you in the street, you'd fall into the category of guy's I look at and envy, perceiving them have never worried a day about hair loss in their lives. 

Good for you. 

Thank you for the kind words 

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

One of the best results I have ever seen. About as natural looking as you can get ! This is the hair I could only dream of 😉

and as always John thank you for the support! 

1 hour ago, TorontoMan said:

Current Prevention - 1mg Fin, 2.5mg Oral Min, Topical 5% Minoxidil 1x a day, Needling every 10 days 1.5mm, Nizarol once every two weeks or as needed. 

* Note - I use to use nizarol once a week, and midweek I would use Regenpure's 1% Keto shampoo, but have recently dropped it as its been clearly drying my scalp and hair making it feel weak and look frizzy. I will only use Nizarol now sparingly and mainly when I feel my scalp becomes irritated as it its really great at clearing any dandruff or seb dermatitis.

Adding to Prevention

- Trialing a topical anti androgen to compete with residual DHT and Testosterone in the scalp. 
- Minimal dose of RU, as I don't believe its necessary to go any higher due to its high binding affinity at first pass. 
- I also have fluridil powder which I intend to trial at >5% dose if I don't comply with RU. 

Excited for the future - 

If you're not familiar with this then I highly recommend you read up on the product. Bayer struck a licensing agreement with a Chinese company named Hopemed and raised $56 million dollars for this project, it is currently in phase 2 trials and the results will likely be published end of this year or early next year. The prolactin angle to combatting hair loss has been all the rage recently as it it is thought that prolactin made locally in the hair follicle is inhibiting stem cells in the follicle by shutting down their signalling. The antibody being developed is thought to be very selective for the PRL receptor so that it binds and stops PRL from exerting its negative effects on the follicle, which would in turn allow for things like WNT signalling to take place and other stem cell signalling. Androgens and PRL may have a synergistic effect on your hair, so reducing androgens and inhibiting the PRL receptor with BAY could theoretically "reset balding". 

“The PRL receptor antibody is a potent monoclonal antibody, blocking the PRL receptor-mediated pathway in a non-competitive manner. The drug product can be administrated subcutaneously. The antibody was well tolerated in a clinical Ph I study (combined single and multiple dosing).

The antibody was effective in stimulating hair growth in aged stump-tailed macaques, nearly doubling the number of terminal hairs after 6 months even in previously fully bald areas and showing a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment. Notably, the stump-tail macaque model is considered one of the rare predictive animal models for male and female pattern hair loss in humans. The study is a result of a close collaboration between Bayer scientists and researchers at IMM.”

This is a very promising upcoming treatment and in my opinion might even turn out to be a functional cure for most men. It is hopefully only 2-4 years away from market, and in my opinion it is worth holding out any hair transplants until we get more results and information from trials as it could have great potential for regrowth

The AR degrader is thought to have potential to reduce the AR sensitivity, this means that your hair folicles will be less prone to the effects of DHT and test. Of course in theory, if this is safe, this will be a major step forward. The AR antogonist will be similar to any topical AA like RU for example, but we will likely have a better understanding of its binding affinity and safety profile for those who are concerned. This is already in phase 2 in China and has entered phase 1 in the US. Its also thought to have a greater binding affinity than CB & FLuridil with similar safety profile

Other compounds being discussed and trialled anecdotally by guys across other forums are:

WAY-200070 - ERb antagonist to induce estrogen type effect on hair (estrogen is good for hair) without acting on the ERa which is what would give feminizing side effects from increasing estrogen levels. 

* ^These two are not something I'm trialing myself, but just something for you to take note of and read up on as more info comes in. 

Lastly, topical dutasteride is getting a lot of attention in the last couple of years. H&W clinic are apparently trialing their own formulation currently and are looking to release a small study they've done by the end of this year. More could be found on topical dutasteride online. 

There it is, this was a bit manic and it felt like I was writing up a small research paper for uni, but I wanted to do my service to the forum as it really helped me from the beginning. I'm very optimistic that this is an exciting time for hair loss as there are so many things in the pipeline, more than I even mentioned here.  

Thanks for that write up man, very helpful.

I’ll be doing my first session of micro needling tonight as I just received my dr.pen A6 that I ordered after seeing your post.

I’ve done some change to my regimen as well.

-1.25 fina ed

-0.6 mg duta once a week

- keto shampoo 3x week (lipogaine) doesn’t dry my hair at all and I have very dry hair.

-ceterizine 10mg daily 

-oral minox 1.25 daily 

-topical minox 5% once a day 

-oral castor oil 2ml ed 

-micro-needling once a week 

I’m also thinking to add ru but I wouldn’t want to use it everyday, do you think that’s an option? 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, JP28 said:

Thanks for that write up man, very helpful.

I’ll be doing my first session of micro needling tonight as I just received my dr.pen A6 that I ordered after seeing your post.

I’ve done some change to my regimen as well.

-1.25 fina ed

-0.6 mg duta once a week

- keto shampoo 3x week (lipogaine) doesn’t dry my hair at all and I have very dry hair.

-ceterizine 10mg daily 

-oral minox 1.25 daily 

-topical minox 5% once a day 

-oral castor oil 2ml ed 

-micro-needling once a week 

I’m also thinking to add ru but I wouldn’t want to use it everyday, do you think that’s an option? 

Thanks 

Very solid. 

I’ll look into lipogaine myself. Are you using Cetirizine for inflammation? 

lol good to see my post impacted, I have the A6 pen as well. My tip for microneedling is that more is not necessarily better. Keep it under 10 minutes and don’t overdo it, we want to wound but not damage skin over time. I would also look to cycle needling, do it for 6 months and then come off for 3-4 months. 

And as per ru, it has a short half life so if it was being used as mono therapy than I would say you would need it every day, but because you’re on fin/ duta i wouldnt worry about missing a day in between 

2 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Very solid. 

I’ll look into lipogaine myself. Are you using Cetirizine for inflammation? 

lol good to see my post impacted, I have the A6 pen as well. My tip for microneedling is that more is not necessarily better. Keep it under 10 minutes and don’t overdo it, we want to wound but not damage skin over time. I would also look to cycle needling, do it for 6 months and then come off for 3-4 months. 

And as per ru, it has a short half life so if it was being used as mono therapy than I would say you would need it every day, but because you’re on fin/ duta i wouldnt worry about missing a day in between 

I’ve been using cetirizine for allergy for a little while now but it was always just for a few months or when I felt that I needed it but few days ago someone sent me that: https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/topical-cetirizine-in-the-treatment-of-androgenetic-alopecia/65678

so I decided to take it yearly, it definitely helps with inflammation and itching.

I’ll follow your advice for microneedling!

yes for ru It would totally work for me if it’s fine eod, I was just worried about making things worse by skipping a day. 

3 hours ago, JP28 said:

I’ve been using cetirizine for allergy for a little while now but it was always just for a few months or when I felt that I needed it but few days ago someone sent me that: https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/topical-cetirizine-in-the-treatment-of-androgenetic-alopecia/65678

so I decided to take it yearly, it definitely helps with inflammation and itching.

I’ll follow your advice for microneedling!

yes for ru It would totally work for me if it’s fine eod, I was just worried about making things worse by skipping a day. 

I cant tell you that with certainty, but I don’t think you’ll get a lot of androgen rebounding because you’re on fin/dut. I think if you wanted days off it, i would take it for a few days consistently and then maybe rest 2 days. Could be an option, but not sure until You try 

9 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

11 Month and Final update

Tomorrow I turn 29, almost a full year since my HT and probably about 3 years since hair became life's greatest problem. So what better gift to myself than to give my final update and flip this page at least for a little while and focus on developing other things in my life. 

I don't see Dr. Rahal until late September to have my final check and discuss the result; see if any additional work should be planned in the near future and most important for me is to have him assess my donor after surgery and hopefully get a good estimate of what I have to work with in the future. 

I am very fortunate that the pandemic took some weight off of my recovery as Canada was under lockdown for most of sep 2020 to early 2021 and I had a whole 8 months in-between having any real obligations to see anyone in person. That being said, I don't have any "shame" having done the procedure, thats none-sense, anyone in our place would do this as well and I remain open to talk about it when it is brought up as it ends up helping others more than it does falsely protecting my ego.
To any first timers considering surgery soon, the first 4-5 months will be tough. You will shed, you will likely have some shock loss, you will look worse than you started, and even though I believed I was very prepared for the recovery after doing my research, it was still a daily battle of the mind. There were periods during the ugly duckling phase that I questioned my decision in getting a transplant and other times I questioned whether  Rahal's clinic were able to deliver results I wanted. I replayed the process of the surgery and my recovery in my head over and over to figure if something had gone wrong. I can't stress enough that if you don't choose a clinic you're absolutely sure of, this period post surgery will be hell and likely over time it won't do much to bring you back the confidence that you're striving for. Always aim to get it right the first time, current hair transplant procedures are a delicate numbers game.

Its my opinion that its absolutely crucial that you only go through with this surgery if:
- You have the financial ability to go to your top picks of surgeon
- You have consulted with multiple doctors (in person if possible) to understand if you are a candidate 
- You have exhausted all options with a prevention regimen ** . For me prevention comes first (will make a separate post to talk about prevention)
- You have really truly understood the expectations of surgery, really understanding what the 'illusion of density' entails. 

My Final results:

2E60878C-1A6D-4BB6-8564-803F79A308C1.thumb.jpeg.45fdf0bf609b98be3ced2f9ae84aeda0.jpeg0D480D87-473D-43DC-A438-E95BAFE19F72.thumb.jpeg.12b5094e551f34e9de8bdc25d98f47cd.jpeg

64392153-870C-49EA-BCC8-E6CB00170C9F.thumb.jpeg.0b6d4d19e702e81c565d94034e2c190b.jpeg10C432CF-2D8B-4A4D-93E8-F5D75146A7A7.thumb.jpeg.f1588f03b84a5b8bac77412e6ec52163.jpeg

66CA3274-3635-429B-BACE-233820B03C10.thumb.jpeg.410ea778317fb45ec086090db0fa72cb.jpeg

It feels amazing to have finally come to this point and be able to reflect on the result positively. I feel the result is very natural and a good overall density. I believe Dr. Rahal did a good job transplanting up until my native hairs and fortunately I didn't suffer any shock loss in behind the recipient. In certain situations, if I'm going out or I know i'll be exposed to a lot of light I'll put in some toppik to make it look fuller, but otherwise for the most part I leave it the way it is. I often wash my hair and use a blowdryer on a cool setting to style it and I'm on my way. I should mention that it took sometime for the transplanted hairs to begin to behave like the rest of my hair, and that will also likely improve with a little more time. I'm very happy with the flow in my hairline as it really matches the style I've had forever and that speaks volumes on Dr. Rahal's artistry and ability to recreate a natural look. I'll try to find a starting photo and I'll make a before and after post as well to highlight the difference. 

Amazing final results bro. Top notch hair, truly looks like you've had a perfect hair line your whole life. This is possibly Dr. Rahal's best result for your norwood level. Congrats!

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Lol I’m not trying to see dr rahal ever again 

(respectfully haha) 

You may never need too, honestly. At least not until your a lot older. Your regimen is absolutely nuclear.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Adding to Prevention

Excited for the future - 

Dude, amazing breakdown. I know you would like to leave these forums and hair loss in general behind, your research and writing would be a valuable asset to everyone here. I hope you can stick around and give us some more quality posts like this in the future. Cheers!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaliforniaLiving said:

Dude, amazing breakdown. I know you would like to leave these forums and hair loss in general behind, your research and writing would be a valuable asset to everyone here. I hope you can stick around and give us some more quality posts like this in the future. Cheers!

I won’t be disappearing, I’m just less focused now on the HT side and of things and more on prevention. This forum is the best for transplant research, guys like Melvin and a handful of other members here are great for helping guys not get done in by frauds and to get realer expectations. 

I’ll update this thread when regimens changes. Right now just RU being added as mentioned, and potentially start SMI-6 in the new year. I’m also saving up money now for when Bay comes to market, bcuz If it live up to its hype, it will likely cost as much as a small hair transplant I imagine. 

8 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You may never need too, honestly. At least not until your a lot older. Your regimen is absolutely nuclear.

Not nuclear up until now, finasteride has been kingpin and will likely always remain at the core of the regimen. But let’s hope you’re right, I guess the goal is to beat out my dad at least 😂

10 hours ago, Mark Wolfer said:

Amazing final results bro. Top notch hair, truly looks like you've had a perfect hair line your whole life. This is possibly Dr. Rahal's best result for your norwood level. Congrats!

Wow I might have to brag to him about this comment when I see him. Thank you 🙏🏻 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, TorontoMan said:

Saw Dr. Rahal for my one year follow up and it was ver positive.  And he asked that I come on the forum and clear up some air with recent rumours that he's retiring. 

Dr. Rahal: 

i-aint-fucking-leaving.jpeg.aa7409d74108c20b6af10daa8a0f40d9.jpegDr

Oh yeaaaaah

image.gif

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, TorontoMan said:

- I use coconut oil, castor oil, pumpkin seed oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil & I use 1 egg yolk that helps bind all the ingredients together so it's not dripping all over the place. 

Could you tell me know on this . Do you dilute any? Literally mix with Egg and put on your hair ?

Just now, darren smith said:

Could you tell me know on this . Do you dilute any? Literally mix with Egg and put on your hair ?

If you just apply the oils on your head, most of it will start dripping down which will make it hard to sit up with in it in your hair or even lay down. The egg yolk binds them all together and it hardens a little bit on your hair and you get a lot less dripping around. I would still recommend a hair cap and towel around your head to stop dripping. 

And yeah I crack one egg and pour out the egg white and leave just the yolk, drop it into a bowl with all the other oils and use a fork or w.e you have to mix it all up. It doesn't take long