Dr. Rahal - 2,401 FUE NW2

7 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Isn't that in Europe though? I think customs may be an issue. I've been looking to see if there is something within Canada.

I don’t believe customs will be an issue as the rep said they ship globally without a problem. My other bet would be contacting H&W as they sold topical finasteride in the past, and maybe sell a formulation of duta as well. 

ive also ordered RU and CB off websites from the states that never got flagged or charged duties. So I’m fairly confident it will come through from Europe. Where are you in Canada? 

3 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

I don’t believe customs will be an issue as the rep said they ship globally without a problem. My other bet would be contacting H&W as they sold topical finasteride in the past, and maybe sell a formulation of duta as well. 

ive also ordered RU and CB off websites from the states that never got flagged or charged duties. So I’m fairly confident it will come through from Europe. Where are you in Canada? 

I'm also in the GTA. H&W I believe stopped topical Finasteride.

2 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Oh nice, well I’ll keep you updated If I go through with it and if it’s possible, we could group buy and save on bulk/shipping/duties 

• Like 1

I'm in Toronto too and I've been thinking of H & W and Rahal too. I'm also in the exact same situation as you - Norwood 2 and in need of hairline/temple restoration.

What made you choose Rahal over H & W? What factors were you considering between the two of them?

4 hours ago, deitel130 said:

I asked their rep fairly recently about acquiring topical fin. I believe he said that legally they could only sell it to me if I had a prescription but maybe he's just saying that so I go to Vancouver to get a HT lol. I got a script for topical fin and he was still like nah... I forgot his reasoning why but I think it had to do with the different types of topical fin? 

But yeah, every time I asked he was just like nah you gotta go to Vancouver and get a script from H & W 

13 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

I'm in Toronto too and I've been thinking of H & W and Rahal too. I'm also in the exact same situation as you - Norwood 2 and in need of hairline/temple restoration.

What made you choose Rahal over H & W? What factors were you considering between the two of them?

I asked their rep fairly recently about acquiring topical fin. I believe he said that legally they could only sell it to me if I had a prescription but maybe he's just saying that so I go to Vancouver to get a HT lol. I got a script for topical fin and he was still like nah... I forgot his reasoning why but I think it had to do with the different types of topical fin? 

But yeah, every time I asked he was just like nah you gotta go to Vancouver and get a script from H & W 

deeeezzzznuttssss 

I told myself I'd be going to either Hasson, Bisanga or Rahal. Sometime in the summer I realized that Canada was going to go under another massive lockdown and it presented a unique opportunity for me to get a hair transplant. It pretty much granted me a lot of recovery time as I didn't have to go into work, school became virtual, I'm still at home with my family so that gives me an extra level of security etc etc. At the time I realized I would never get an opportunity like this again to get it done, as in the future I'll hopefully be in a more professional work environment and it would just be much harder to go through with this then. As the borders remained closed going to Dr. Bisanga became very hard, and then Rahal's clinic offered me a date in September that was ideal and I wouldnt be able to see Dr. Hasson until late November or December. At that point, it was very difficult to choose between the two. Both Doctors use techs for extractions and placing the grafts, while they lead the plan/design and do the incisions. I tried to narrow in some research about their techs, from what I gathered on this forum, H&W had a girl who was one of their main extracting techs (don't recall her name) and she had about 5 years of experience with them, and similarly the tech who worked on me had about 4-5 years of experiencing working with Dr. Rahal. Although it may not sound like much, but I do believe doing something consistently for top clinics like theirs, after 2-4 years I could put trust in that these techs would become masters of their craft. Both Hasson & Rahal are capable of performing both FUT & FUE which I read was important for a FUE doctor to have known FUT before, and both had nearly 30 years of experience in the industry as a whole. I also felt that Dr. Hasson may use slightly more grafts than Dr. Rahal to achieve great hairlines, but ultimately it was hard to choose between them and it did come down to the great timing for me. 

You could order topical Finasteride from  http://www.minoxidilmax.com?aff=132 . 

1 hour ago, deeznuts said:

I have been on oral Finasteride for almost 10 years with no sides but was thinking of adding topical Dutasteride. I consulted with Rahal but he only does FUE and was quoted only $3 a graft unless I heard wrong. I wanted to go FUT to maximize my donor.

3 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

I have been on oral Finasteride for almost 10 years with no sides but was thinking of adding topical Dutasteride. I consulted with Rahal but he only does FUE and was quoted only $3 a graft unless I heard wrong. I wanted to go FUT to maximize my donor.

I'm not sure I believe $3 per graft. That's like developing country prices.

@TorontoMan How much did you pay for 2400 grafts?

• Like 1

I was also left wondering why the price was so low but I may have misheard. You can actually get a consult with a Rahal rep via online chat. They call you within minutes. You can confirm and ask prices and they answer all your questions even without having to have a Skype call. 

Edited by deitel130

Yeah they’re easy to consult with and I’d recommend you do so with both clinics. there was another user who posted 3000 grafts via FUT with dr. Rahal very recently. Although Dr. Rahal himself told me they were phasing out FUT, it looks likes it’s possible to explore that option with them. Some of his strip results have been incredible. 

10 years wow, has it maintained your hair well? I would think If you haven’t had any sides, duta once a week might be fine for you 

10 hours ago, kramer79 said:

Did you ever consider Wong or was it just Hasson from H&W?

I just found that Hasson seemed to have a more cases of hair line work posted. Think I wouldn’t have had a problem getting Wong at all. From what I’ve read he is very patient oriented and pays close attention to detail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be shock loss in the donor area, retrograde or donor thinning from fue?? 
I’m referring to mostly the bottom left corner behind my ear. Mind you, my last two haircuts have come from my buddy who does not barber. But it does appear that hair is thin in this area. Any thoughts ?

F2873CA0-CDAD-4ECE-B99F-98D2B7A1B946.png

09DAD11F-A999-47E1-A667-F14098E2BFBB.png

This looks like it can be from shock loss (it matches the extraction location from your post-procedure pics).

However, maybe your friend simply went too short when cutting your hair at that spot and if the hair was already "weak" due to the extractions from that spot and now it shows a bit more.

I personally think it is temporary and you should be fine.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 5:22 PM, kramer79 said:

This looks like it can be from shock loss (it matches the extraction location from your post-procedure pics).

However, maybe your friend simply went too short when cutting your hair at that spot and if the hair was already "weak" due to the extractions from that spot and now it shows a bit more.

I personally think it is temporary and you should be fine.

I appreciate the response. I think so too, will in any case wait to full year and reserve my judgement until then. 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:53 PM, Coady said:

Can you use topical dutasteride with finasteride ?

Yes, thats my plan. The day you take duta you wouldn't take fin as well. There are some articles that show good regrowth with both of them being used in conjunction, dutasteride added once a week. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22686691/

^Not a great study, but the half life of duta is much greater and I think once a week is enough. 

10 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Yes, thats my plan. The day you take duta you wouldn't take fin as well. There are some articles that show good regrowth with both of them being used in conjunction, dutasteride added once a week. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22686691/

^Not a great study, but the half life of duta is much greater and I think once a week is enough. 

My hair loss pattern/progression is comparable to yours, and hopefully when I have my opportunity at surgery I get a similarly great result.

re: dutasteride.  After about 10 very good years on fin, I experienced a pretty worrisome shed this fall.  In mid-December, I incorporated Dut 0.5mg twice per week (along with Fin 1.25mg 5x/week).

My goal is the same as yours: stabilize as best you can.

unfortunately, it looks like I have regressed a bit further in 7-8 weeks on Dut (~10 total pills ingested). hardly a strong enough sample to asses the efficacy of Dut, but alarming nonetheless.  

Learning more about scalp DHT, perhaps topical Dut could be a logical pivot. To fight scalp androgens I’ve been using RU powder mixed in serioxyl. Ironically, I got a scrip for oral minoxidil last week ~in order to move away from topicals~

perhaps some of my continued loss is due to impatiently over-tweaking my program. or possibly (optimistically) it’s shed-before-thickening Dut success story.  I might dial back to 1x week.

Anyway. Just my experience.  Congrats on the early success of your procedure (I have been targeting Hasson myself but remain unwelcome as an American). Please let us know if the topical Dut proves to be a game-changer 

- detective Bosch

59 minutes ago, Harry Bosch said:

My hair loss pattern/progression is comparable to yours, and hopefully when I have my opportunity at surgery I get a similarly great result.

re: dutasteride.  After about 10 very good years on fin, I experienced a pretty worrisome shed this fall.  In mid-December, I incorporated Dut 0.5mg twice per week (along with Fin 1.25mg 5x/week).

My goal is the same as yours: stabilize as best you can.

unfortunately, it looks like I have regressed a bit further in 7-8 weeks on Dut (~10 total pills ingested). hardly a strong enough sample to asses the efficacy of Dut, but alarming nonetheless.  

Learning more about scalp DHT, perhaps topical Dut could be a logical pivot. To fight scalp androgens I’ve been using RU powder mixed in serioxyl. Ironically, I got a scrip for oral minoxidil last week ~in order to move away from topicals~

perhaps some of my continued loss is due to impatiently over-tweaking my program. or possibly (optimistically) it’s shed-before-thickening Dut success story.  I might dial back to 1x week.

Anyway. Just my experience.  Congrats on the early success of your procedure (I have been targeting Hasson myself but remain unwelcome as an American). Please let us know if the topical Dut proves to be a game-changer 

- detective Bosch

Without a topical AA, I believe moving up doses could be counter productive for some individuals as your body may upregulate and/or suffer from the increase in scalp testosterone as a result. 

like you implied more may not be the answer for some individuals, rather it might be best approach all the pathways. RU in conjunction should compete with the residual Androgens at your scalp. I’m personally going to be trying cb & 30mg BID. I tried RU and got some brain fog by the 4th day, however I likely jumped to too high of a dose to fast, and I may revisit it again in the future if I find CB too weak or too cost prohibitive. There actually some other Tooical AAs in the pipelines that should be coming in the next year or two, which is exciting 

hasson is an excellent choice, I would be patient and wait for him. 

have you ever tried topical duta?

Edited by TorontoMan

13 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Without a topical AA, I believe moving up doses could be counter productive for some individuals as your body may upregulate and/or suffer from the increase in scalp testosterone as a result. 

like you implied more may not be the answer for some individuals, rather it might be best approach all the pathways. RU in conjunction should compete with the residual Androgens at your scalp. I’m personally going to be trying cb & 30mg BID. I tried RU and got some brain fog by the 4th day, however I likely jumped to too high of a dose to fast, and I may revisit it again in the future if I find CB too weak or too cost prohibitive. There actually some other Tooical AAs in the pipelines that should be coming in the next year or two, which is exciting 

hasson is an excellent choice, I would be patient and wait for him. 

have you ever tried topical duta?

i have not tried topical dut, but it certainly seems promising if you can find it. mustang’s thread here included some interesting insights — he suggested Dr. Mwamba’s site as a source, if your native country permits the shipping. hopefully we see some more positive topical dut results emerge.

I’ll probably stay on the oral Dut a little longer, for the sake of consistency. Maybe I’m experiencing the shed that discourages rookie Fin/minox users. Do you think cutting back to 1x/week would be wise?

[Maybe beginning at 2x per week (in conjunction with fin) was just too aggressive.]

RU is a tricky one.  it seems to be our strongest AA, anecdotally. i haven’t really had sides other than itchy eyes. the liquid solution bottles (anagen inc.) don’t last long — i go through about two per month (~$100 altogether). 
I am experimenting with the RU powder, but dosing it requires some guesswork.  I’m also paranoid that I’m not diluting it properly and thus not effectively delivering the RU to the scalp.

keep us posted on the CB, or any other topical AA that comes into your program. i am terrified to commit to a HT until i can stabilize; can only imagine how proactive I’d be in your shoes, protecting an investment with such a good early result.

30 minutes ago, Harry Bosch said:

i have not tried topical dut, but it certainly seems promising if you can find it. mustang’s thread here included some interesting insights — he suggested Dr. Mwamba’s site as a source, if your native country permits the shipping. hopefully we see some more positive topical dut results emerge.

I’ll probably stay on the oral Dut a little longer, for the sake of consistency. Maybe I’m experiencing the shed that discourages rookie Fin/minox users. Do you think cutting back to 1x/week would be wise?

[Maybe beginning at 2x per week (in conjunction with fin) was just too aggressive.]

RU is a tricky one.  it seems to be our strongest AA, anecdotally. i haven’t really had sides other than itchy eyes. the liquid solution bottles (anagen inc.) don’t last long — i go through about two per month (~$100 altogether). 
I am experimenting with the RU powder, but dosing it requires some guesswork.  I’m also paranoid that I’m not diluting it properly and thus not effectively delivering the RU to the scalp.

keep us posted on the CB, or any other topical AA that comes into your program. i am terrified to commit to a HT until i can stabilize; can only imagine how proactive I’d be in your shoes, protecting an investment with such a good early result.

RU is pretty soluble in most vehicles, it doesn’t metabolize like CB, so diluting it shouldn’t be a problem. CB is trickier as the vehicle can’t contain any water. I think mixing the powder yourself is the better option, also more cost efficient. What dosage of RU r u taking? (Haa)

personally I believe you may be just experiencing a shed, cuz you did come on both at the same time I’m assuming? dont think you’ll lose much by dialing down to 1x a week, it’s all bro science at this point, but I do try to introduce all these things slowly. Did you find fin was getting weak for you, or did you just look to get ahead of any loss and get on duta?

you’re in a better position than I am for a successful ht. I didn’t approach it the most optimal way as I should have waited to exhaust my options and see how finasteride alone could maintain my hair long term. However, there is never a perfect timing, and I don’t know how much longer I Would have waited anyway. Moving forward If I do need to cover more ground, I’ll be able to approach it more strategically, and do smaller sessions. Given my fairly slow progression of mpb & family history, I should be able to maintain for a while witj meds and topical AAs. (Hopefully) 

oh and yes @mustang is the one who brought the topical duta to my attention, and I’ve put an order in with dr mwambas clinic. It may take some time and I hope it passes through customs 

Edited by TorontoMan
  • Like 1

5 month update 

showered this morning with some Regenpure dr which is a little rough on my hair, but thought I’d show what’s up with both wet and dry hair. I'm slowly learning to not even look in the mirror anymore, with topikk my hair is fine to go outside without a cap and realistically in these times I only see a few buddies and my gf. Still a lot of growth and thickening of small hairs, and for not even being half way there, I think its going well so far, time will tell. 

wet hair: 

F79F8795-E81D-4F24-9337-DEF15C12CAF7.thumb.jpeg.304961bc36c172396e266d38e9d48d5a.jpegAD7ACBE7-B4CB-45F0-A669-0DBDC623DF45.thumb.jpeg.8bf8dd331ac248870d7900d865f42087.jpegAF837F04-DBC7-4CAD-9C31-FE41ED0CCBCC.thumb.jpeg.7c85a776c36c9ab76b8dfbfc588214c3.jpeg389BFA56-C727-4322-8CDC-F615A7AB133E.thumb.jpeg.bbd8e21f81022ec60a2142c04f32321f.jpeg

blowdried: 

8F7A835A-F7C8-4A84-A06F-5525E5B8AC38.thumb.jpeg.f6a7bba2fdd5fe7c371245b2be8d054d.jpeg82F0A513-789D-4AA0-ABA4-A780FB11E10F.thumb.jpeg.b07e01422d404cbf886d1cd51b812908.jpeg

Edited by TorontoMan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

Looks real good. Once the hairs mature and thicken up like you said, i am sure that will be the icing on the cake.

Yeah, I should mention to people reading, my phone camera unfortunately can’t pick up a lot of the detail. There are many hairs that are still very short, thin, whispy hairs that are not even long enough yet to stand with the bunch. So at this point I believe the result is around the 50% mark, and hopefully a lot of time left for maturing and filling in. There are some spots I could be critical about, but I just don’t think it’s worth the time yet as I still see small hairs coming in, so I’m going to reserve my judgement another 3 months